Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:47:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 393925 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #350 on: September 19, 2014, 11:02:04 AM

Why aren't you radicalthoning this yet Surly?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #351 on: September 19, 2014, 11:43:17 AM

I'm looking for a spare third for PS4 fireteams.  Anyone interested in having me invite you or jump into your shit, send a PSN Friend invitation to me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #352 on: September 19, 2014, 12:03:13 PM

This for 20+ stuff?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #353 on: September 19, 2014, 12:11:48 PM

Opinions about this game are all over the place.

"Me am play gods"
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: September 19, 2014, 01:55:17 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #355 on: September 19, 2014, 02:07:43 PM

I'm still trying to convince myself to spend $400.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #356 on: September 19, 2014, 02:09:58 PM

It's not worth it just for Destiny. If you wait till Christmas you might be able to get a deal on one in preparation for Bloodborne in Februrary.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #357 on: September 19, 2014, 02:10:36 PM

Also the price isn't as good now for the bundle now that Destiny is selling for 50% off.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #358 on: September 19, 2014, 05:16:44 PM

Why aren't you radicalthoning this yet Surly?

Soon™

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #359 on: September 20, 2014, 06:24:51 PM

I'm still trying to convince myself to spend $400.

Same.

I keep telling myself that having the TV above the fireplace isn't conducive to good console gaming.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: September 20, 2014, 07:44:19 PM

Opinions about this game are all over the place.

It's a game that can be very fun but also can have a lot of issues - like Earth Defense Force. Personally I love EDF but if someone made a list of 30 major problems with the game I'd have to grant that they are all legit problems. I just don't care because blasting ants is so good.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: September 21, 2014, 08:07:53 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #362 on: September 21, 2014, 11:07:22 AM

Game ain't half bad.

It's a stunning example of a game that should've been PC first though. I mean, let's not kid ourselves, this is Star Wars: NGE done right.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #363 on: September 21, 2014, 11:33:51 AM

The best part of the fucking fucked up loot system is that patrolling on Earth (the lowest level patrol area) will drop loot near your level -- i.e. the level of loot that's dropped in patrols is not based on the level of the mobs you kill, it's based on your character's level. I got much more loot (in Destiny-terms) grinding out an annoying Fusion Rifle bounty on Earth than I ever did from the random story mission rewards (not the fixed rewards).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #364 on: September 21, 2014, 11:43:55 AM

Game ain't half bad.

It's a stunning example of a game that should've been PC first though. I mean, let's not kid ourselves, this is Star Wars: NGE done right.
The Mass Effects were Star Wars:NGE done right. Destiny has a horrible combat system compared to the MEs (not the actual shooter mechanics, those are really tight as others have said). In Destiny, unlike ME, you shoot your main weapon 90% of the time cause your other guns hold so little ammo (with a few exceptions) and ammo drops for the other guns can be hard to come by. Your other two weapons are just there to deal with the occasional shielded enemy and some yellows/bosses. Everything else you kill with your main gun. And in Destiny your special abilities are on horribly long cool down timers so you use them only occasionally and there's only 3 of them, again unlike the MEs.

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:46:13 AM by Trippy »
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: September 21, 2014, 11:56:36 AM

There's still the chance that Bungie gets their shit together and loot and matchmaking will be fixed by the time the PC version arrives. Which would be good, because to buy this as it is would be to re-enact my personal Diablo 3 disappointment-o-rama.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #366 on: September 21, 2014, 12:06:58 PM

I got my first legendary off a random mob I ran over with my sparrow on Earth. it was  awesome, for real

As for the specials having long cooldowns, that's what the modifiers on your weapons and gear are for. My special cooldowns are probably 30-45 seconds at most at this point.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: September 21, 2014, 12:22:12 PM

Game ain't half bad.
Sounds like someone caved. Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #368 on: September 21, 2014, 01:24:24 PM

As for the specials having long cooldowns, that's what the modifiers on your weapons and gear are for. My special cooldowns are probably 30-45 seconds at most at this point.
Yes I know there are ways to reduce the cooldowns but that doesn't change the fact that you use them infrequently compared to a game like ME3. It wouldn't be so bad if the guns were more interesting and more varied and you could use the guns other than your primary more often. Punching people as a Titan, though, is still very fun.
schild
Administrator

Reply #369 on: September 21, 2014, 02:32:40 PM

Game ain't half bad.

The Mass Effects were Star Wars:NGE done right.

what? No. Mass effect was Final Fantasy XII with mediocre shooting and hallways for maps.
schild
Administrator

Reply #370 on: September 21, 2014, 02:36:51 PM

I actually can't stress it enough - every decision made in this game is derivative of PC MMOGs. The only reason people are super pissed about this thing is that it's a console game.

Anyone playing a console shooter for the story is crazy. In the history of consoles there's been maybe 5 shooters worth playing for the story. I actually can't come up with 5. Even the menus are better for PC than console. This game is weird.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #371 on: September 21, 2014, 03:59:46 PM

Yes it's derivative of PC MMOs but it's derivative in a half-assed way for everything but the shooter mechanics. On a PC this would be a horrible half-assed game as well.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: September 21, 2014, 04:00:59 PM

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #373 on: September 21, 2014, 04:04:11 PM

Game ain't half bad.

The Mass Effects were Star Wars:NGE done right.

what? No. Mass effect was Final Fantasy XII with mediocre shooting and hallways for maps.
The MEs are cover shooters so yeah the maps are hallways. By ME3, though, the shooting and ability mechanics are top-notch and the ability mechanics are far better than what Destiny has.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #374 on: September 21, 2014, 05:30:11 PM

YMMV.

schild
Administrator

Reply #375 on: September 21, 2014, 05:44:04 PM

Origin is a greater evil than any design flaw in Destiny. I'm not defending Destiny, I'm just saying Mass Effect 3 is a beautiful child that they gave the plague on purpose.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: September 22, 2014, 12:51:53 AM

I don't think it makes sense to play shooters for the story but it's nice when the story isn't historically bad.

Apparently the best way to grind for items is to kill low level mobs in a random cave somewhere. Great endgame!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: September 22, 2014, 05:01:06 AM

I think Angry Joe has value partly because he sometimes says some accurate things but mostly because he's indicative of the "bro" demographic console "block-buster" titles are aimed at. Pretty damning review but absolutely not a surprise to anyone who watches the game industry.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #378 on: September 22, 2014, 05:58:29 AM

I don't think it makes sense to play shooters for the story but it's nice when the story isn't historically bad.

Apparently the best way to grind for items is to kill low level mobs in a random cave somewhere. Great endgame!

Murdercave is pretty awesome in the sheer amount of loot on the ground. It is fairly cathartic sitting at range pumping bullets and rockets into a cave. I can really only do it for about 20minutes at a time before going of to do a strike, but you can get a lot of shit outta there. I had 5 legendary engrams drop so far and a ton of greens and a few blues.

I also noticed yesterday that after a bit of time, you get a message that pops up over your ability bar that says "the enemy is gathering its forces" or something like that... then all hell breaks loose with HP+ gold shielded mobs pouring out of every hole around there, Fallen and Hive. Makes for a fun chaos that you will die repeatedly in if you don't run away. This also happens on Venus in the Dreg/Goblin area.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #379 on: September 22, 2014, 07:48:45 AM

This for 20+ stuff?

It can be, or not.  I have a lv7 Warlock and a lv2 Hunter.  Titan is lv25 as of yesterday.  My current goal is to do strikes for Vanguard Marks, plus some patrols for the events which give ascendant widgets that I need for upgrades.  However, I'm up for basically anything that isn't PvP because I'm just not good at that.

I prefer doing the fusion rifle bounty in a moon-cave since the Thralls will line up for you.  I've decided I'm not doing that bounty anymore.

I've seen people do Murdercave, looked boring.  I figure if I ever want to ramp up the speed at which I get bored with this game, I'll go do that for a while.

I think the loot appears at a good frequency considering how it works.  If this were some other game, yea, it would be low.  So, I don't think it is broken.

I'm not playing this for the story, but I've been absorbing world lore (which you have to grind/find as well) and it's definitely a nice bit of frosting.

I can tell people a little about orange bounties.  It's kinda awful.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: September 22, 2014, 08:08:55 AM

It can be, or not.  I have a lv7 Warlock and a lv2 Hunter.  Titan is lv25 as of yesterday.  My current goal is to do strikes for Vanguard Marks, plus some patrols for the events which give ascendant widgets that I need for upgrades.  However, I'm up for basically anything that isn't PvP because I'm just not good at that.

The joy in this, is that you can not even really score in PvP and get great loot just by the virtue of RNG. My buddy even thinks you might be given a modifier (unconfirmed, and a tad outrageous) for being ultrabad at PvP so you get better gear to compete.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #381 on: September 22, 2014, 08:29:01 AM

I actually can't stress it enough - every decision made in this game is derivative of PC MMOGs. The only reason people are super pissed about this thing is that it's a console game.

Anyone playing a console shooter for the story is crazy. In the history of consoles there's been maybe 5 shooters worth playing for the story. I actually can't come up with 5. Even the menus are better for PC than console. This game is weird.

Have we found a remedy against consolitis? Is this the first console game with PC-litis?

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: September 22, 2014, 09:04:50 AM

More like let's-slice-it-up-for-DLC-itis.
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: September 22, 2014, 09:10:12 AM

More like let's-slice-it-up-for-DLC-itis.

This is about it. I get this nagging feeling that all these reviews about the story being too short or the game is thin on the vastness is just because they only released 'chapter 1.'  The other stuff will be out in subsequent chapters, all yours for an additional $40 each.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #384 on: September 22, 2014, 09:46:50 AM

The initial story does play out like a Chapter One.  It's short and self-contained, plus a foreshadow of future plots.  The next two expansions are $40 for both (IIRC) if you buy them in the package.  Somewhat bothersome, but this is the world we game in.  Besides, if I had a problem with DLC then I'd not have bought every fucking thing that Gearbox shat out for the Borderlandses.  I did enjoy those games just that much, and I'm having a great time with Destiny.  I've definitely spent $50 on worse games.

Have we found a remedy against consolitis? Is this the first console game with PC-litis?

I am sure this is not the first.  I am not sure which one actually is, but perhaps Morrowind.

The joy in this, is that you can not even really score in PvP and get great loot just by the virtue of RNG. My buddy even thinks you might be given a modifier (unconfirmed, and a tad outrageous) for being ultrabad at PvP so you get better gear to compete.  why so serious?

Maybe so, but it's still pretty demoralizing and honestly not much fun to be so awful.  I do know that this just compounds the issue since I won't get any better without playing.

I expect I'll end up with a orange bounty that will have me doing something PVP oriented soon enough, so I'm happy to wait and take my medicine later.  I will probably read up on PVP specs at that time; I really like the Bubble of Silence* but I'm skeptical of its utility in Control.

* We had a fantastic idea: players inside the bubble cannot hear chat from anyone outside the bubble, and I'd say the inverse as well except that I can't remember if it is inverse or reverse or that third one.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: