Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 393956 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #280 on: September 13, 2014, 08:19:57 AM

I got it.  Hopefully I'll like it for more than a week or so.  I didn't realise there wasn't much content.  I was pretty pissed off when I found no new content after a couple of weeks of defiance. 

So I revved it up and thought to myself... "why does this feel like I've played it before?" ...then figured out... "Oh.  It's the same as the demo!"  D'oh!  Anyway, I thought I'd pass this along just in case you lot hadn't noticed it yet.  There's some codes to redeem on Bungie from this LINK.  I have no idea what they do or what they're for, but they work.  I know some of you guys are mad for cards.  Maybe once I'm actually in the game and have a level or two, I'll figure it all out.  The tutorial is all I've done so far and that was before I put in these codes.  It's using my xbox live acct, of course, so my name is ZombieSigne.   ACK!

Also, I'm a robot titan.  I'll do a warlock too, eventually.  I am so cool looking.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #281 on: September 13, 2014, 10:40:16 AM

There is new content on the way in the form of an xpac in December and there are daily and weekly missions that change, well daily and weekly. Also new vendors pop in and out of the game. Right now there's a shady dude near the Vanguard reps that's selling legendary gear for strange coins. Lastly, the Queen is calling in the favor you owe her sometime this month.

As for those that don't get the story, I'm puzzled. I dig the shit out of it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: September 13, 2014, 11:05:14 AM

It's getting slammed critically. Not good for the long term.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: September 13, 2014, 11:08:34 AM

12 hours of MMO quests is a tiny amount of content. They're probably holding off for paid DLC, so it'll all be self inflicted.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: September 13, 2014, 11:39:56 AM

On the other hand, compared to most FPS 12 hours is pretty long.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #285 on: September 13, 2014, 11:40:40 AM

There's no "probably" -- they announced the first two expansions a while back.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #286 on: September 13, 2014, 11:47:01 AM

Serious question, to anyone who played both extensively enough: how does it compare to Warframe?

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: September 13, 2014, 01:27:49 PM

Sure, but the other FPS aren't made out of MMO quests. Those only get good if they're connected to a giant world with multiple quest hubs, and there's bazillions of quests to choose from.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: September 13, 2014, 02:23:50 PM

Sure, but this game is more COD/Halo than MMO. And for those games, 12 hours is a decent chunk of content.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #289 on: September 13, 2014, 02:34:04 PM

Shhh... It doesn't fit into any mold of what they think it should be, therefore it sucks.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #290 on: September 13, 2014, 03:45:31 PM

Sure, but the other FPS aren't made out of MMO quests. Those only get good if they're connected to a giant world with multiple quest hubs, and there's bazillions of quests to choose from.

You keep bringing up MMO quests, but the only time you do anything resembling MMO quests in this game is when you're doing patrol mode (which you pretty much never need to do).
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: September 14, 2014, 03:23:22 AM

You keep bringing up MMO quests, but the only time you do anything resembling MMO quests in this game is when you're doing patrol mode (which you pretty much never need to do).

Repetitive main story quests is emphasized on many reviews: get quest from hub, go to location (that is often roughly the same place as in a previous quest), grind your way through static enemy spawns, finally ghost scans stuff while you kill waves. Quest complete, teleport back to hub.

Maybe I should ask, what do you find compelling about the quest design?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 03:26:04 AM by jakonovski »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #292 on: September 14, 2014, 01:15:20 PM

Repetitive main story quests is emphasized on many reviews: get quest from hub, go to location (that is often roughly the same place as in a previous quest), grind your way through static enemy spawns, finally ghost scans stuff while you kill waves. Quest complete, teleport back to hub.

Maybe I should ask, what do you find compelling about the quest design?

I didn't say I found it compelling, I said most of the content isn't MMO quests. Aside from returning to a lot of the same areas the story missions are fairly standard FPS gameplay. Strikes are similar to MMO dungeons in that it's group content that ends with a boss and usually has a sub-boss as well. None of it is particularly inspired. The only things you have to know when doing Strikes are to aim for the weak spot and make sure that you and your teammates aren't all dead at the same time.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #293 on: September 14, 2014, 04:21:05 PM

This game would be a lot funner if it wasn't such a fucking pain in the ass to get groups together officially. It's seriously silly. You'd think after D3, Borderlands 2, etc that they'd understand how important drop in/out grouping is. The finder for strikes doesn't replace people halfway in so if people bail, welp sorry time to start over or figure out how to do it solo or duo.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #294 on: September 14, 2014, 06:25:43 PM

This game would be a lot funner if it wasn't such a fucking pain in the ass to get groups together officially. It's seriously silly. You'd think after D3, Borderlands 2, etc that they'd understand how important drop in/out grouping is. The finder for strikes doesn't replace people halfway in so if people bail, welp sorry time to start over or figure out how to do it solo or duo.

I've had it replace people, but it can take a while.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #295 on: September 15, 2014, 12:35:07 AM

Sorry to reiterate, but aren't you all describing Warframe? I haven't tried Destiny, but I am surprised no one is pointing the similarities (which I am getting from the comments) out. This is relevant to me considering that Warframe has an insane amount of content, keeps pumping new stuff out at a regular pace, and costed probably 10% of Destiny. Am I completely off?

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: September 15, 2014, 01:06:45 AM

Sorry to reiterate, but aren't you all describing Warframe? I haven't tried Destiny, but I am surprised no one is pointing the similarities (which I am getting from the comments) out. This is relevant to me considering that Warframe has an insane amount of content, keeps pumping new stuff out at a regular pace, and costed probably 10% of Destiny. Am I completely off?

They sound similar but Destiny seems like it has more of an open world feel and player hubs.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: September 15, 2014, 01:58:56 AM

Destiny wasn't built on nearly the same budget or it probably would have. The other comparison would be global agenda which had player hubs, open world feel and missions... but it had no budget either.

The combination of FPS mechanics and RPG progression / grinding is far from novel but the challenge is keeping it fresh and interesting over time. It will be fascinating to see how destiny fares and monetizes continuing content.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #298 on: September 15, 2014, 03:46:03 AM

Completed the second strike:

-Fend off waves of dudes while your ghost does something? Check.
-Big stupid HP sponge boss with LOS deathbeam and shittons of adds? Check.

Lame.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #299 on: September 15, 2014, 03:50:34 AM

Completed the second strike:

-Fend off waves of dudes while your ghost does something? Check.
-Big stupid HP sponge boss with LOS deathbeam and shittons of adds? Check.

Lame.

Lame maybe, but I think Bungie knows its crowd. If they put some "thinking" into the boss fights, they'll lose 80% of their audience because no one will have a clue what to do or how to figure it out. I do think they need to make the bosses like the public event walkers in that you should have the option of going for the legs to open up the crits. But other than that, I am not expecting they'll put in physics problems to solve in order to kill bosses - not even fit the shaped blocks into the shaped holes - the audience would lose their shit.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: September 15, 2014, 07:21:42 AM

Does Destiny have the space-parkour though?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #301 on: September 15, 2014, 07:53:30 AM

No.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: September 15, 2014, 08:49:02 AM

Well, yeah, it may be a superior product, but... Bungie! Come on! It's your DESTINY to play their game!

Does Destiny mean anything in the context of the game? At least Halo had greater significance.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #303 on: September 15, 2014, 09:54:14 AM

This is better than Warframe, in my opinion.  The execution is better, controls tighter, it is far better-looking.  Disclaimer: Warframe on PC, Destiny on PS4.

I've mentioned this many times in the past that expectations make or break any entertainment.  Expecting MMO quests (as if those have major appeal) in a shooter is probably the source of most complaining.  My angle of "it's a fantastic shooter in which I get to break up the monotony with quests and collections" is more positive than "there's way too much shooting in this MMO".  Not that it's terrible to dislike a MP shooter, but that's what you are playing here.

I don't want that shit in a shooter, anyway.  I'm interested in killing enemies and managing my ability to do that, not which blue person is having sex with what other useless meatbag that won't shut up about its derivative backstory.  Variety here is basically what do you hide behind, where do you aim on their bodies, gun/grenade/punch, etc.

Missions are actually simpler than described:
1. Shoot all enemies in this area
2. Shoot all enemies in another area
The talking is fluff and who gives a shit why?  It's sort of nice that it is there, just like it's nice to see blue lava on Venus but it's really just decoration on a well-executed cake mixture.

I'm really curious which game made since 1999 has a better story than Destiny.  They are all below a certain bar.  Bonus points if it is a game from North America.

I prefer the Borderlands 2 UI, but I'm a filthy console user (PS4 even) so I expect some dissent there.  Destiny UI is not unusable, it's just weird.  I'll get used to it.

Does Destiny have the space-parkour though?

It has jump-jets, which some people find fascinating.  I'm starting to be able to use mine pretty well in a firefight.

Does Destiny mean anything in the context of the game? At least Halo had greater significance.

As far as I can tell, no one bothered to change the WIP name.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: September 15, 2014, 10:46:11 AM

Lame maybe, but I think Bungie knows its crowd. If they put some "thinking" into the boss fights, they'll lose 80% of their audience because no one will have a clue what to do or how to figure it out. I do think they need to make the bosses like the public event walkers in that you should have the option of going for the legs to open up the crits. But other than that, I am not expecting they'll put in physics problems to solve in order to kill bosses - not even fit the shaped blocks into the shaped holes - the audience would lose their shit.
I don't know if it opens up crits, but aiming for the legs of fallen walkers definitely hits for more damage, and does temporarily cripple them. I've managed to do it a few times. Rocket launcher on the ground beneath them also pisses them off.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #305 on: September 15, 2014, 11:54:36 AM

There are only one or two enemies on which I have not found the weak spot.  Minotaurs, for example.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #306 on: September 15, 2014, 12:22:57 PM

I fucking hate minotaurs.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #307 on: September 15, 2014, 12:26:07 PM

How is this game for people bad at fps?

"Me am play gods"
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #308 on: September 15, 2014, 12:28:01 PM

I'm bad at FPS, but decent at Borderlands on PC (kyb/m).  I find that Destiny on my PS3 is more forgiving than a CoD game, but harder than Borderlands. 

It's hard, but not hard enough to keep me from playing. 
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: September 15, 2014, 12:36:12 PM

I'm bad at FPS, but decent at Borderlands on PC (kyb/m).  I find that Destiny on my PS3 is more forgiving than a CoD game, but harder than Borderlands. 

It's hard, but not hard enough to keep me from playing. 
I have a keyboard/mouse input to my ps3. Only way I can play since I am completely useless with a controller.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #310 on: September 15, 2014, 12:39:13 PM

How is this game for people bad at fps?
I haven't finished the story missions yet but so far for PvE it's pretty good. Most enemies shoot projectiles that you can dodge so it's more forgiving to those who are slow to line up shots in LOLthumbstickshooters. I find it easier to handle then something like Infamous Second Son where most of the enemies (so far) shoot hit scan weapons. There's also usually a decent amount of cover to hide behind as well to recharge your shield when necessary. For some of the PvE set piece encounters there's a checkpoint system where you have to replay the encounter when you die but for the other types of PvE encounters dying is just a minor inconvenience rather than a throw your controller into the monitor-type thing.

PvP is, of course, an entirely different matter. I'd stay away from that until you get reasonably proficient with the controls.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: September 15, 2014, 12:39:52 PM

Servitors are my favorite for weak spots. Their beholder-like eye is a big old bullseye.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #312 on: September 15, 2014, 12:42:34 PM

Are they really that bad? I've just started fighting them but so far they don't seem any worse than, say, Wizards.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #313 on: September 15, 2014, 01:32:11 PM

It probably depends on your class.  However, wizards suck balls... unless you run up and cold-cock them.  In which case they only suck more than other enemies by a factor of three.

I have a minotaur-swatter which is a fusion rifle.  The fusion rifle is like a shotgun, but without the drawbacks.  So, if I can't take down the minotaur with my scout rifle (usually can), I can always rush it and Mike Tyson it, followed by a fusion rifle load and it's dead.

I like the Titan because he's all FUCK DA PO LEECE.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #314 on: September 15, 2014, 02:00:12 PM

Servitors are my favorite for weak spots. Their beholder-like eye is a big old bullseye.

Throw a grenade in there and watch what happens.  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: