Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 393973 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #210 on: September 01, 2014, 05:53:23 PM

Autocorrect just made this awesome.  awesome, for real

Indeed it did. Damn beta OSes.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #211 on: September 01, 2014, 06:32:28 PM

It's definitely going to be a clash of clans.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #212 on: September 05, 2014, 07:48:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZyQK6kUdWQ

New commercial. Good use of Led Zeppelin in the thing.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #213 on: September 05, 2014, 07:57:08 PM

Yeah. The wailing and gnashing of teeth on the Destiny subreddit about how it's not grimdark enough and it's catering too much to the teabagging bro set is wonderful. Meanwhile, I'm all, "Fuck you guys, Zeppelin."

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: September 05, 2014, 08:08:57 PM

I'll give them credit for making a really good trailer.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: September 05, 2014, 08:10:54 PM

IT TAKES 45 MINUTES TO OPEN THE DOOR TO THE RAID!!!!! EXPERIENCE OUR SCINTILLATING DOOR OPENING SIMULATION! THRILL AT THE SOUND OF TUMBLERS GOING CLICKETY CLACK!

... the fuck?  swamp poop

Not even.  Experience the thrill of look up how to do it online and then do it in 5 minutes.  Which I guess is marginally better than taking 45 minutes to figure it out.

On the one hand, if this attracts the Halo crowd and puts them into World of Warcraft 2004 edition, I have to admit I am tempted to play just to witness the hilarity that will ensue.

But not really, there's no way I'll ever play this game.

The Halo crowd and the WoW crowd have a lot of overlap.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #216 on: September 05, 2014, 09:38:02 PM

I have no interest in this game, but the trailer was cool. Did I detect some Dinklage?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #217 on: September 05, 2014, 10:15:17 PM

The dinklebot is your constant companion. Kinda like Cortana from Halo.

Here's a comparison of his voiceovers from Alpha to Beta. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UrRfIpkStA

Some of the other voices are Lance Reddick, Nathan Fillion, Bill Nighy, Peter Stormare, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Gina Torres, Claudia Black and Terrance Stamp.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:19:38 PM by Surlyboi »

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #218 on: September 06, 2014, 04:38:38 AM

Yeah. The wailing and gnashing of teeth on the Destiny subreddit about how it's not grimdark enough and it's catering too much to the teabagging bro set is wonderful. Meanwhile, I'm all, "Fuck you guys, Zeppelin."

Agreed. Zeppelin was a nice touch.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #219 on: September 06, 2014, 07:47:18 AM

Yes, Dinkage.  But eventually you will want him to alright, already... die.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: September 09, 2014, 11:51:56 AM

So, is anyone here playing this today and want to report how things are going?  I'll wait to play, if I play at all, when in comes to the pc in 2015 because I can't use a controller to play shooter games.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #221 on: September 09, 2014, 12:00:49 PM

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2482095-is-activision-blizzard-relying-entirely-on-destiny-to-fix-things?uprof=45

Good article on how ATVI is basically betting huge on Destiny. It's a biz article but it makes some solid points about the company.

EDIT: Biggest key point is how WoW has shifted from being 50% of their market to now 20%, and something has to take over.

EDIT2: Registration walls suck.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:06:46 PM by Paelos »

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: September 09, 2014, 12:04:44 PM

Short answer: Yes. Article is behind a registration wall.
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: September 09, 2014, 12:53:45 PM

So, is anyone here playing this today and want to report how things are going?  I'll wait to play, if I play at all, when in comes to the pc in 2015 because I can't use a controller to play shooter games.

Still waiting on UPS to delivery my bundle. Sadly, I am having it delivered to work as I don't trust my apt building at all... which means I am here till it arrives. Sadly, last check, it was still at the sorting facility.

I did hear PSN has been bitchy all day with the traffic from Destiny. So tonight should be extra special.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #224 on: September 09, 2014, 01:14:56 PM

I've heard the servers are doing well so far.  I don't think they've even said if they will put it out on PC, I wouldn't count on it.  I guess if you use an adaptor to use mouse and keyboard on the console you can do some funny stuff with sniper rifles.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #225 on: September 09, 2014, 01:20:07 PM

I've heard the servers are doing well so far.  I don't think they've even said if they will put it out on PC, I wouldn't count on it.  I guess if you use an adaptor to use mouse and keyboard on the console you can do some funny stuff with sniper rifles.

Here's why they will. Cash.

If the console sells well they will open up PC only servers.

Activision doesn't miss chances to make a buck. They just didn't want to worry about doing both yet if the console version isn't gangbusters. They've already supposedly dumped $500M into this deal. So if they get a chance to spend $50M to port and make 10x that in sales? They'll do it.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #226 on: September 09, 2014, 01:46:17 PM

That report on Activision could be summed up as "Their cash cows (WoW and Call of Duty) are getting stale and not making as much money, and the company has done fuckall to make new properties to take their place."

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: September 09, 2014, 01:56:26 PM

I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I'm bad at FPS on consoles. PS4, name is Rendakor.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #228 on: September 09, 2014, 03:05:24 PM

Fuck. My PS4 Destiny bundle got delayed.
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: September 09, 2014, 03:19:46 PM

Fuck. My PS4 Destiny bundle got delayed.

Same. I just ripped Amazon a new one. Oh well, see you tomorrow I guess.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #230 on: September 09, 2014, 03:31:45 PM

Yup.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: September 09, 2014, 03:32:30 PM

Got mine at GS at midnight.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #232 on: September 09, 2014, 04:22:04 PM

Been fine all day for me on PS4.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: September 09, 2014, 05:09:40 PM

I don't get the appeal of MMOs on consoles. No keyboard means I have to listen to voice and listening to voice means risking hearing somebody tell me I'm gay (doesn't bother me) and or that my mother is a hooker. (only slightly more bothersome.)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: September 09, 2014, 05:16:22 PM

Been playing since about 7 this morning, not a single glitch from PSN, a spot of lag, anything. The combat feels like a next-gen Halo and for some that's just not going to be their cup of tea, there's a lot of controller naysayers around here but I actually prefer playing FPS games with a controller, so I'm in the minority, but for my preferences the game plays smooth as butter. Got to Venus earlier today, nice to see some new environments and enemies. Hits that same sweet spot for me as Diablo, of course there's a grindy nature to it but the combat is just fun at its core, it runs smooth and looks great, and the multiplayer nature/shared world really works for me. Even if you're not grouping up, I've always liked the "playing alone together" theme of MMORPGS and it's the same here.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: September 09, 2014, 05:21:05 PM

I don't get the appeal of MMOs on consoles. No keyboard means I have to listen to voice and listening to voice means risking hearing somebody tell me I'm gay (doesn't bother me) and or that my mother is a hooker. (only slightly more bothersome.)

You're only going to hear voice if you group up and then choose to. I really don't consider this game an MMO at all, it's a different beast, it's a shared game world but with the exception of the city hub, you don't see that many players and they are easy to ignore. On the other hand if you have friends playing or want to group up with pubbies, it's easy enough to do that too.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #236 on: September 09, 2014, 06:22:42 PM

The Diablo comparison is pretty apt. With the exception of the occasional other player wandering by and helping you kill shit while out in the field.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #237 on: September 09, 2014, 06:28:07 PM

I thought it was BorderHalo or HaloLands?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: September 09, 2014, 06:43:58 PM

I thought it was BorderHalo or HaloLands?

Bordello?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #239 on: September 09, 2014, 06:48:50 PM

It's only been called that because lots of people have shit for imaginations.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #240 on: September 09, 2014, 07:44:40 PM

In all the time I played in the Alpha, Beta and now having done one strike and 4-5 rounds of PVP (which I'm not really into at all, but just wanted to mess around with it a bit), I haven't heard one person using a microphone. Mind you this is on PS4. Probably a lot different on Xbox.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: September 09, 2014, 10:47:55 PM

It's only been called that because lots of people have shit for imaginations.

Including the people who made it.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: September 09, 2014, 11:11:36 PM

Honestly, can someone give a short-ish synopsis on just wtf this game actually is?  I doubt this is something for me, but I admit some amount of curiousity and it seems possible this is something my kids might like.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #243 on: September 10, 2014, 03:36:13 AM

Honestly, can someone give a short-ish synopsis on just wtf this game actually is?  I doubt this is something for me, but I admit some amount of curiousity and it seems possible this is something my kids might like.

The shortest synopsis I can give you is that it's a console FPS from the guys that made Halo. Regardless of what they do to dress it up, if you aren't interested in that, you probably won't be interested much in this game.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: September 10, 2014, 04:23:51 AM

Honestly, can someone give a short-ish synopsis on just wtf this game actually is?  I doubt this is something for me, but I admit some amount of curiousity and it seems possible this is something my kids might like.

The shortest synopsis I can give you is that it's a console FPS from the guys that made Halo. Regardless of what they do to dress it up, if you aren't interested in that, you probably won't be interested much in this game.

Well, see, that's the thing...the early iterations of Halo at least had a story and I somewhat enjoyed them.  But if it has just turned into online console bro-shooter with zero story elements at all, then it checks literally zero boxes.  For me, anyway.  The kids probably want exactly that sort of bullshit.

Edit:  Also, the fact that there are zero metacritic reviews so far makes me think that they are giving this the MMO treatment.  As if the game is so deep and complex that they cannot possibly give it a fair rating on release day, but rather have to drag it out forever.  So again, what the hell is it?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:41:09 AM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: