Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:30:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Storyline (WARNING SPOILERS) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Storyline (WARNING SPOILERS)  (Read 44760 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 05:12:38 AM

I think the idea is that the whole time he's just ahead of you; he hasn't conquered the whole place he's just managed to stay one step ahead. The scene were Angel Douchebag loses his powers shows that very well I think.

Yeahhh.  So for whatever reason the first time I did this n I didn't get that cutscene.  I guess I was in a group and someone skipped it before it even started playing, so I just got up there and Tyrael had the ! over his head.  I did it again last night and got the cutscene and it made a whole lot more sense to me.  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:53:07 AM by Malakili »
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 09:46:13 AM

I thought the voice of the Enchantress was quite aggravating, but I enjoyed all the rest.  The Templar was particularly entertaining throughout my romp through Normal.

most often known as Drevik
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 09:53:48 AM

The Enchantress gave me a very Luna Lovegood vibe, from the Harry Potter movies.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 10:05:07 AM

None of the voice acting was terrible! I can't really think of any characters that made me think they grabbed Timmy the Intern out of the hallway and stuffed him inside the recording booth.

Me and Amiable were convinced that this guy http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0393222/
voiced Covetous  Shen but he's not credited anywhere.
It is him. He's credited in the end game credits.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 01:12:58 PM

I knew him originally from big trouble in little china but god damn that guy has been around forever.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 01:15:20 PM

None of the voice acting was terrible! I can't really think of any characters that made me think they grabbed Timmy the Intern out of the hallway and stuffed him inside the recording booth.

He did.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 06:20:08 PM

He did.

I spotted that right off... And I soooo wanted him to say "You never could beat me, Egg Shen" at some point.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Of course, he does come off as kinda like Chang on Community though...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 06:23:29 PM

He did.

Damn I guess the IMDB page isnt accurate then. My bad.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 11:06:42 PM

I think the idea is that the whole time he's just ahead of you; he hasn't conquered the whole place he's just managed to stay one step ahead. The scene were Angel Douchebag loses his powers shows that very well I think.

Yeahhh.  So for whatever reason the first I did this for some reason I didn't get that cutscene.  I guess I was in a group and someone skipped it before it evne started playing, so I just for up there and Tyrael had the ! over his head.  I did it again last night and got the cutscene and it made a whole lot more sense to me. 
Same happened here. I joined a public game - then the "host" left, and eventually some other random dude joined mine - and kept skipping all dialogue and cut-scenes. Public game = not a good way to complete your first run-through if you care at all about following what story there is in the game. I have no idea what happened storywise now, apart from "Diablo may or may not be permanently dead" =P

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 05:01:39 AM

Well they put so much thought into everything except to remove the spoilers from the Achievements screen. I browsed it yesterday to see what else there was and the achievements spoil the story quite heavily one Achievement is even called
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 06:25:18 AM

You want to know what ruins the gravity of a shocker moment even more? When you have to accept it as a boss event in CO-OP!

WARNING: BOSS FIGHT OF THAT GUY YOU THOUGHT WAS ON YOUR SIDE IN 60s!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 06:32:10 AM

You want to know what ruins the gravity of a shocker moment even more? When you have to accept it as a boss event in CO-OP!

WARNING: BOSS FIGHT OF THAT GUY YOU THOUGHT WAS ON YOUR SIDE IN 60s!

If you didn't see that emperor fight coming a mile away.....

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 06:33:29 AM

No, I just meant for flow purposes. The turnabouts are fairly obvious.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 06:38:04 AM

There's definitely something to be said for doing the first play-through either solo or with friends who'll let you actually see all the cutscenes, conversations, and events.  Glad I did that.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 06:40:36 AM

Ahahah, Leah dies? That's awesome and far better than what I expected. I expected her to be the one that REALLY beats Diablo, KOing him with Mary Sue powers after we soften him up.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:52:56 AM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 11:44:44 AM

Don't worry, I'm sure that's how the expansion will end after we bring her back somehow.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 11:48:29 AM

Leah was never some badass mary sue though.  She exhibits powers in the beginning sure but never really in a useful manner and it's not 'her' power anyways.  I can see the expansion as 'saving' her somehow, or just redeeming her soul but there's no way she's the next thrall.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 11:57:17 AM

Don't worry, I'm sure that's how the expansion will end after we bring her back somehow.

Possible spoiler - I was watching the "Making Of" DVD that came with the CE last night and the hint that this is a real possibility.  Not in a "we're working on this" sort of way but in a "It felt to us when we wrote this part that Leah's soul is still out there somewhere and we could see telling that story at some point" sort of way.   I don't know when this DVD was recorded, but its at least a bit dated since the rune system they showed was the old one  awesome, for real
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 12:09:48 PM

I'm fully expecting the expansion to include Tyreal finding the black soul stone and shoving it in his head because surely this can't go wrong AGAIN.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 12:17:02 PM

Leah was never some badass mary sue though.  She exhibits powers in the beginning sure but never really in a useful manner and it's not 'her' power anyways.  I can see the expansion as 'saving' her somehow, or just redeeming her soul but there's no way she's the next thrall.
I was thinking that she was some sort of super nephalem like the whatsit guy who literally ascended to godhood because his existence on Sanctuary was fucking everything up. Adria flipping on us was what I expected but I thought she was going to shove it into her head right at the last moment rather than Leah becoming the prime evil.

The thing is that...well, we're never going to actually destroy the prime evils. You can't make a sequel to a game named Diablo without Diablo being in it. You could have the angels flip on us and decide we're too scary even with the hells vanquished, which would be interesting but again NO DIABLO.

Knowing this, it's obvious we were going to be betrayed and the black soulstone wasn't gonna work. I was 50/50 on Adria being possessed or from some of the Diablo animated stuff I saw Imperius being possessed.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #55 on: May 21, 2012, 12:53:45 PM

Expansion: Black soulstone plummets to earth and buries itself in a small town. Imperius, envious that he was defeated by Diablo and that the humans have cleansed the Heavens, searches for the soulstone's location on Earth. There, he falls prey to the sways of his own Wrathful nature. There he becomes the fallen angel intent on controlling the Heavens again by any means necessary, and following through on his goal to wipe out humankind from the earth.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 07:15:45 PM

Yeah there is approximately a zero percent chance that Mr. Imperious isn't someone we fight in the expansion. Also, his name is stupid.

Clearly you save Leah's soul in Act V, and then it turns into an inn running sim.

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #57 on: May 21, 2012, 08:56:31 PM

I call crazy bartender if that's the case.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 21, 2012, 09:14:18 PM

If you talk to tyrael right before the last fight he has some dialogues about leah's soul being salvadgable and about the lost angel of wisdom wandering some dungeon called pandemonium.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 21, 2012, 09:28:00 PM

Seeing as my wizard said something like "I will never rest until I save Leah's soul" or something to that effect, I'm pretty sure her role has not yet ended.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 21, 2012, 10:05:06 PM

Yeah there is approximately a zero percent chance that Mr. Imperious isn't someone we fight in the expansion. Also, his name is stupid.

Clearly you save Leah's soul in Act V, and then it turns into an inn running sim.

This was *totally* my idea. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #61 on: May 21, 2012, 10:21:34 PM

I'm okay with this as long as there's a conversation-tree mini-game where you interview characters from D3 for jobs at your inn.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 21, 2012, 10:24:35 PM

Needs otome mode as well.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #63 on: May 21, 2012, 11:10:07 PM

This was *totally* my idea. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

You can't prove anything!  why so serious?

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 21, 2012, 11:23:06 PM

As I said earlier though, the idea that we can save Leah's soul is utter nonsense. People who had far less contact with Diablo have been damned for allo of eternity even if they successful resisted him taking over their body. This isn't Warcraft or Starcraft, and when the entirety of the prime evil possesses your body and it's revealed Diablo is your father your are absolutely stone  cold dead.

Leah isn't something special or amazing, and blizzard need to get away from the idea that everyone can be saved. She's just an unlucky young girl with bad parents.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #65 on: May 21, 2012, 11:27:05 PM

You seem to be under the impression they give the story any thought beyond "does Metzen think it's a good idea?" And Metzen thinks all sorts of stupid shit is a good idea.

It is heavily, heavily, HEAVILY foreshadowed that Leah is, at the very least, not "gone." I would not be surprised if we save her, OR if we find her soul but she's all warped and shit and we have to kill her again and then phew her soul is at "peace," but Shen, Tyrael and the PC all say shit that is basically telegraphing WE AREN'T DONE WITH LEAH YET YOU GUYS.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #66 on: May 22, 2012, 03:59:38 AM

I like how Leoric, Aiden, Albrecht (a child), along with the rogue and wizard from D1 are all fucked but the worst Deckard Cain replacement ever isn't.

Well, to be honest they never flat out say all those characters are damned at all, outside of maybe the Wizard and that's because he just goes kinda crazy and becomes a demon summoner.

Drai
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 22, 2012, 11:00:36 AM

Not that I am in a Diablo game for the story but it was about as straight forward as expected.  My only gripe is that Cain gets offed so early  in Act I to Mahgda.

I know he is an old man and all, but the dude has been around for a while and survived a lot more than to deserve what I thought was a pretty weak way to kill him.  I like me some Cain so that was a bummer but at least he hangs around via the journal explanations.

He better come back as an angel or something in the expansion - I know some people are annoyed by him but dammit I like to stay awhile and listen.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #68 on: May 22, 2012, 11:13:42 AM

The Leah thing could still turn into a decent story hook for an expansion. Maybe try to save her, but fail and in the process create Imperiablo. Or succeed in saving her, but at some great cost to the world, so she has to die again to fix stuff.

Not great, but those outcomes would fit the overall mood I'd expect. However, they have more interesting hooks in Imperius, Adria and the other stuff mentioned by Tyrael that just dropping the Leah plot would be best.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #69 on: May 22, 2012, 11:15:54 AM

Well, there's a few open spots in Heaven's pantheon so I suppose that's possible.   Cain for the new Angel of Wisdom! Tyrael as the new Angel of Valor!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Storyline (WARNING SPOILERS)  
Jump to: