Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Storyline (WARNING SPOILERS) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Storyline (WARNING SPOILERS)  (Read 44766 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

on: May 18, 2012, 01:13:18 AM

So I just finished my first playthrough.

Also....

I enjoyed the ride though. Now onto nightmare!

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 01:43:08 AM

I enjoyed the ride though. Now onto nightmare!
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 01:43:58 AM

Finished up Normal at lv31 Monk (~3000hp, ~330dps), with two coworkers and Furiously (who popped in for the very last of Act IV).

Played through the first couple quests in Nightmare -- everyone is lv30+ but the fights are more effort than they were earlier today when I ran the first part of Act I with some other friends.   Nightmare looks like it'll entertain.

Regarding the story:
Thought it was a frustrating that Leah was sacrificed and Adria got away with it.  No real resolution there.  We saved the world but it still felt like a bit of a bummer.

EDIT: spoiler thread, no sense hiding
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:10:55 AM by Quinton »
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:53:36 AM

I imagine that's the hook for the expansion.

EDIT: I dinged 31 as we finished Act IV, my scarf wearin' douchebag's DPS was 400-ish (it's 490 now from a nice bow that dropped at ZEE END) but he is a delicate flower that dies way too easily, I need to get some shit with more vitality on it I think. :P
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:56:40 AM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 03:07:04 AM

Quite surprised the end cinematic didn't have a hook for the expansion pack actually. Both Diablo and Diablo 2 ended in that way.

Still, some missing pieces:

Adria
The missing arch angel
Imperius

This seems to be the first Diablo game that actually has a 'happy ending'.

P.s. why are people putting things in spoiler tags in a thread that warns there are story spoilers in it?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 03:41:07 AM

Well, I think its about par for the course on ending unhappiness.  Heaven got fucked up rather badly, Adria got away (though she's obviously the hook for the expansion), and you didn't save the young girl who ended up having her soul devoured by Diablo.  

Though question on Adria:  Was she always bad, secretly working to help Diablo?  Or was it only after she gave the Dark Wanderer a pity fuck after he killed Diablo and had to jam a giant crystal into his skull, which then corrupted her?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:46:00 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 04:10:25 AM

Or was it only after she gave the Dark Wanderer a pity fuck after he killed Diablo and had to jam a giant crystal into his skull, which then corrupted her?

I got the impression it was this. 

As for the end of act 3/act 4.

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 04:52:30 AM

I was glad Leah was dead - that's how the Diablo universe works. It's grim, but Diablo isn't Starcraft or Warcraft and Shea prime evil corrupts your body your *dead* and beyond redemption. Has happened to numerous characters in the series and would be really odd if Leah somehow survived.

Re Adria - she was working for the prime evils all along. There's a conversation / bit of lore you can find in Act 2 that says the coven was originally led by 2 witches, and then one upped and left leaving Maghda in charge. Adria even says she travelled to Tristram to serve Diablo.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

I was expecting Leah to be Diablo, it seemed fairly obvious what with the Dark Wanderer being her father and her bright red shirt.  But I was actually expecting for Leah herself to be the betrayer, not Adria.  I thought the whole first 3 acts were going to be Leah's manipulation of everyone, not Adria's betrayal (which I actually felt was kind of meh).

Same here, I was waiting for her to turn out to be the suprise-twist-baddie. Although when she got taken over my first thought was "Oh..noes..they are doing a Kerrigan again"

The ending cutscene (Tyriels narration) felt quite underwhelming...too over-the-top pathetic and not really gripping.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 10:50:35 AM

Quite surprised the end cinematic didn't have a hook for the expansion pack actually. Both Diablo and Diablo 2 ended in that way.

It did. You can see the soulstone falling after Diablo burns up on reentry. Combine with the fact that Adria got away, and there you go.

In general I would say of all the half-assed Metzen-y stories, this one was the half-assed-est of all, but my expectations were low going in.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:52:22 AM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 11:58:48 AM

Meh, I thought it was ok.  Perhaps nothing grand, but it wasn't particularly bad or stupid.  Though I guess Mass Effect 3 lowered my bar for acceptable endings quite a bit.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 12:10:51 PM

On the one hand, the only thing that remotely surprised me was Cain dying so early (had I looked at the achievements or paid the slightest attention to trailers, that probably would not have surprised me either). On the other, there was nothing remotely near Thrall = Green Jesus in terms of "shit this so so bad." So while it was totally by the numbers and bland, it didn't feel more like I was playing someone's self-insert fan fiction than an actual game, so thumb's up, I guess.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 12:16:42 PM

Yeah, it wasn't exactly gripping, storywise, but it wasn't utterly cringeworthy or anything.  I wasn't terribly invested in the characters or anything, but it was a decent enough backdrop for the monster fighting and loot gathering.

Honestly my biggest complaint is a technical nitpick -- I wish the video quality of the cutscenes were higher -- video artifacting bugs me.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 12:22:21 PM

Wow, I thought they looked great.  Maybe you have a bigger monitor, I'm running at an awe-inspiring 1280x1024 here.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 12:24:21 PM

On 1920x1200 24" there were places where the compression was pretty noticable.  It's not like they all sucked, or anything, just here and there I could really see the compression artifacts.  It's a nitpick, not a serious complaint.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 12:43:36 PM

I didn't notice them either but I don't really have an eye for such things.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 12:50:16 PM

Do you mean the cut scenes where it would letterbox and our dudes would have Very Important Dialogue, or do you mean the cinematic cut scenes?

EDIT: Oh oh oh! You know what I noticed! None of the voice acting was terrible! I can't really think of any characters that made me think they grabbed Timmy the Intern out of the hallway and stuffed him inside the recording booth.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:54:55 PM by Sjofn »

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 12:58:54 PM

I meant the cinematic ones (fancy 3d pre-rendered video).

Whoah, you're right.  The voice acting is pretty great across the board.  And there's a *lot* of voice acting -- not just the mains, but all the random quests, various chatty NPCs, etc.

If you watch the credits you'll notice that a *lot* of people contributed voice talent for this thing -- not 5 people recording all the NPCs, etc.

This makes me want to try adventuring with an NPC buddy, because I've heard that they banter with your hero throughout the way...
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 01:00:30 PM

Does anyone get into the characters in Diablo? I really like the world of sanctuary and the entire heaven versus hell setting but the actual characters are always just a backdrop to death, explosions and loot. Precious, sweet loot...
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 01:04:41 PM

This makes me want to try adventuring with an NPC buddy, because I've heard that they banter with your hero throughout the way...

They do, and they all have their own little story they'll tell you throughout the acts if you talk to them. They'll also pipe up occassionally during questish conversations, chit chat with people you are temporarily hauling around, etc.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 01:06:42 PM

Awesome.  Okay, one more thing on the list of things to do in D3...
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 01:11:16 PM

The banter repeats quite often, extra annoying if you have subtitles turned on.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 01:31:30 PM

They do, and they all have their own little story they'll tell you throughout the acts if you talk to them. They'll also pipe up occassionally during questish conversations, chit chat with people you are temporarily hauling around, etc.

Yeah, I've been using the scoundrel with my barbarian - not because he is more useful than the others but because he's funny.  He says something, I say something barbarianish, he rolls his eyes, etc.  It's awesome.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 04:34:42 PM

They need a writing award if only for covetous shen.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 06:55:00 PM

EDIT: Oh oh oh! You know what I noticed! None of the voice acting was terrible! I can't really think of any characters that made me think they grabbed Timmy the Intern out of the hallway and stuffed him inside the recording booth.

With the exception of the child emperor, I agree with you. The voice acting and dialogue, especially between the companions and other NPCs, is top-notch.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 08:22:01 PM

Thought it was pretty good overall.  The one gripe I have is that we didn't get to fight Imperious.  I spent all of Act 4 waiting for that.  No dice.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 08:24:10 PM

Having too much of a story would just make it seem more repetitive. 

I am the .00000001428%
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 09:04:09 PM

Watch the cutscene with leah having her vision again, azmodeus isn't talking to her, he's talking to diablo.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 09:12:45 PM

With the exception of the child emperor, I agree with you. The voice acting and dialogue, especially between the companions and other NPCs, is top-notch.

The child emperor did kinda suck, but child characters usually do, so I probably just put it out of my mind immediately.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 02:30:38 AM

None of the voice acting was terrible! I can't really think of any characters that made me think they grabbed Timmy the Intern out of the hallway and stuffed him inside the recording booth.

Me and Amiable were convinced that this guy http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0393222/
voiced Covetous  Shen but he's not credited anywhere.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 03:55:15 AM

Since we are talking about voice acting now...

I hate that miner-merchant in Act I: "I worked my hands to the bone to bring you these fine goods."

I am sorry but that just creeps me out every time I hear it. No one forced you to mine!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 04:19:48 AM

The guy's just trying to justify his overpriced blues.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 10:05:15 AM

Did anyone else feel like that because Act 4 is so short that it loses some of its gravity? Kind of, "OH NO DIABLO HAS BECOME THE PRIME EVIL AND HAS TAKEN OVER HEAV....oh he's already dead"

I know that they probably wanted Act 4 to be fast paced and I do like the sort of "assault on heaven" thing you are doing (nice symmetry with the assault on hell that was act 4 D2), but the fact that you plow through it in an hour total makes it seem less plausible to me that Diablo managed to concur the whole place in the time it took me to run through the portal after him ( awesome, for real ).   Even some kind of short quest where you would have had to open your own portal to heaven (say his closes after Tyrael runs through) would've given some sense of time passing for me to make the whole thing seem more plausible.

That being said, from a gameplay perspective, I did love act 4 both times through this time, and perhaps that is the reason they didn't add anything prior to show any passing of time.  Its just sort of a straight up sprint through demon hordes , which is Diablo at its best.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 10:53:58 AM

I think the idea is that the whole time he's just ahead of you; he hasn't conquered the whole place he's just managed to stay one step ahead. The scene were Angel Douchebag loses his powers shows that very well I think.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 12:17:45 AM

Since we are talking about voice acting now...

I hate that miner-merchant in Act I: "I worked my hands to the bone to bring you these fine goods."

I am sorry but that just creeps me out every time I hear it. No one forced you to mine!

Every time I hear that I think of the song where the line goes, Work your fingers to the bone, what do you get? Bony fingers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Storyline (WARNING SPOILERS)  
Jump to: