Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:25:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Hardcore Discussion/Graveyard 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hardcore Discussion/Graveyard  (Read 49724 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

on: May 17, 2012, 11:13:12 AM

I haven't started hardcore myself yet, but I figured we could use a place to talk about tactics and cry about our awesome characters that died.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:16:59 AM

I've decided I am *NOT* playing a Wiz in Hardcore.  They're fucking squishy the way I play.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:21:21 AM

Hardcore survival tier list for normal difficulty:

Monk >>>>>>>>>>>>> Anyone else.

Pick a top tier. Roll monk.

So far I lost my very first character L31/15hr in Act4 because I wasn't expecting ice bombs from the fallen angel boss and I had been rolling shit so hard for so long that I got complacent. I'm back at L27 Act3 with another Barb now.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
lesion

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:24:07 AM

Ahh! I came so close to biting it on Izual it made me pee a little. Not only are there ice bombs but he summons those knockback angels, so it's a dance party of CC ownage. I think he might have a single-target stun too?

steam|a grue \[T]/
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:28:14 AM

Not planning to put any real time into HC until I finish normal and at least understand what bosses/enemies do. Seems hazardous to start yet anyway with all the server stability/lag issues they've been having. We'll be starting with a monk/wiz duo though.

I did roll up a HC DH to check out the class and finished up to skell king. Almost died when I hit the windows key instead of shift when trying to attack-in-place.  Heartbreak
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 11:34:02 AM

What's so special about the Monk on Normal Hardcore?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 11:37:59 AM

Not planning to put any real time into HC until I finish normal and at least understand what bosses/enemies do. Seems hazardous to start yet anyway with all the server stability/lag issues they've been having. We'll be starting with a monk/wiz duo though.

I did roll up a HC DH to check out the class and finished up to skell king. Almost died when I hit the windows key instead of shift when trying to attack-in-place.  Heartbreak

Thank god for my thumb mouse button remapped to shift.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 11:50:30 AM

Ahh! I came so close to biting it on Izual it made me pee a little. Not only are there ice bombs but he summons those knockback angels, so it's a dance party of CC ownage. I think he might have a single-target stun too?

He does. I got combo'd from full to dead without gaining control thanks to his single target stun. He only lands it if you get iced though which never ever should have happened to me. I was in a duo though and if the other barb had laid a stun... Oh well.

I don't know exactly what it is because I haven't rolled one yet but believe me I will be if I die any time soon on my second Barb attempt.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 12:23:32 PM

Lots of oh shit buttons.
lesion

Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 12:30:14 PM

He does. I got combo'd from full to dead without gaining control thanks to his single target stun. He only lands it if you get iced though which never ever should have happened to me. I was in a duo though and if the other barb had laid a stun... Oh well.
That sucks. Sounds like you needed a monk! I've also got a collection of STR items for you at some point, hit me up.

steam|a grue \[T]/
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 12:44:13 PM

A passive that gives you a get out of death free card every 90 seconds, a passive that makes all your resistances equal to your highest resistance (easy gear stacking!), a passive that reduces all damage by 75% when you are stunned/feared, and a bunch of instant heal / invulnerability skills. And a teleport.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:20:57 PM by bhodi »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 01:03:16 PM

It would be neat if there were graveyard files like in DCSS.

"Me am play gods"
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 01:30:43 PM

A passive that gives you a get out of death free card every 90 seconds, a passive that makes all your resistances equal to your highest resistance (easy gear stacking!), a passive that reduces all damage by 75% when you are stunned/feared, and a bunch of instant heal / invulnerability skills. And a teleport.

Damn, glad I peeked in here.  The group I'm playing with this weekend wants to start HC and I was trying to decide if I should just roll another Barb or try something else. (Monk was my second choice for character anyways.)

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 02:00:04 PM

In addition to Bhodi's list is something heavily overlooked imo on how/why a class does better than another - this is that Monk has a lack of cooldowns (I think least total amount of cooldowns as well as simply have the shortest cooldowns all together (longest is 45s I think?).
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 04:08:25 PM

I assume when a HC character dies you loose any gear they are wearing?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 06:20:04 PM

Hmmm, they don't drop all their gear on the ground on death do they?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 12:41:34 AM

Hmmm, they don't drop all their gear on the ground on death do they?

Nope. It'd be nice if they dropped it all but you couldn't loot it. I hate not seeing the player die in a splash of shiney.

-William Gibson
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 05:32:19 AM

I have my HC monk up to level 15.  The reason why monks are so awesome is that they can easily stack multiple defenses and have heals/shields for when things get hairy.  I've already had a few "oh crap" moments on my WD in normal but I never felt in a second of danger with my monk (who will undoubtedly die today because I said something).
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 05:36:12 AM

Why would anyone play anything but a monk for hardcore?

Actually, let me rephrase that.  Why does anyone play hardcore? What's the upside? The downside is huge.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 05:39:11 AM

Why would anyone play anything but a monk for hardcore?

Actually, let me rephrase that.  Why does anyone play hardcore? What's the upside? The downside is huge.

Bragging rigths, adrenaline, titles and banner shapes!
lesion

Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 05:53:38 AM

The downside is the upside! I'm gonna be bummed if my main dies, but until then I find it's way more engaging with higher stakes.

Edit: speaking of,

Here lies Brosephina, Level 39 Monk. Died at the hands of a Molten Vortex Deranged Cultist. Score: 361,150
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:04:26 PM by lesion »

steam|a grue \[T]/
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 03:44:19 AM

The downside is the upside! I'm gonna be bummed if my main dies, but until then I find it's way more engaging with higher stakes.

Here lies Brosephina, Level 39 Monk. Died at the hands of a Molten Vortex Deranged Cultist. Score: 361,150

A full Nethack-style tombstone for dead HC characters would be cool.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 06:17:22 AM

As soon as you said you were heading to nightmare mode my face was  Ohhhhh, I see.

Anyone who beats an inferno mode diablo as hardcore is a goddamn hero.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 02:39:17 PM

Who are folks around here who are interested in HC?  I know I am but I am reluctant to push into nightmare alone. #Amiable1709
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 03:27:03 PM

So do you have a different stash and different money, or the same?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 03:28:31 PM

Different.

I am the .00000001428%
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 05:10:33 AM

Well, after rolling through Normal mode with a barbarian I went back to a level 12 hardcore mage and died in 10 minutes to the first group of elites on the Khazra Staff quest in Act 1.

Lesson learned: don't immediately play a squishy class in HC after blasting through 30 levels in normal mode as a barb.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 05:54:47 AM

I learned "don't alt tab to tell your husband that Hector Sanchez hit a home run hooray when you're playing hardcore."  awesome, for real

God Save the Horn Players
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 06:46:26 AM

ACK!

Hardcore Barb. I mean why not. I might play a little at a time. It feels a tad harder that regular normal mode and I watch my health bars way more than I did on Normal... and I make it a point to either dash to a health globe or move a bit away from them when I don't really need it. I am managing the game much more.  In a sick and twisted sense, I really like the sense of "this is it."

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 11:19:01 AM

It makes sense - ultimately Diablo 1/2/3 are roguelikes, and in roguelikes you play for keeps.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 07:53:27 PM

Yeah I got hooked on the HC, got going on it right after hitting level 10. Can't imagine playing regular mode now, its the intensity. A few witch doctors so far, died at 17 to some lacuni champ on my first one, second got to 25- killed the act 2 end boss but somehow died in the process at the laggy end, friggin brutal and hilarious.  Decided wearing near 100% magic find gear was a bad idea after that, piling on the int and vit now at 29.
lesion

Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 10:40:36 PM

RIP AllyMcBeal, Level 53 Wizard. Cut down in her prime by a pack of industrious skeletons.

steam|a grue \[T]/
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 10:57:18 PM

Saw a monk die just now. Not even sure what happened. I know I put 65% damage mitigation on him and I know it was a boss with one of the aoe dot ground things and the type are the sewer guys who die into poison but it happened really fast. He was level 40. I still want a Monk. He said he just didn't realize he was in danger before he was dead. To be honest the screen did get really busy really fast it was a bad spot in the Act2 sewers, the ceiling collapsed with skeleton spawn behind us (onto the Wiz and DH) there was a normal mob pack, the boss and minions who climbed up the wall and one of those corpse piles spawning shit.

Found out lesion's wiz died tonight also. Sad times. Logging for the night for fear of the deaths come in threes rule.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:59:46 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 11:37:17 PM

Saw a monk die just now. Not even sure what happened. I know I put 65% damage mitigation on him and I know it was a boss with one of the aoe dot ground things and the type are the sewer guys who die into poison but it happened really fast. He was level 40. I still want a Monk. He said he just didn't realize he was in danger before he was dead. To be honest the screen did get really busy really fast it was a bad spot in the Act2 sewers, the ceiling collapsed with skeleton spawn behind us (onto the Wiz and DH) there was a normal mob pack, the boss and minions who climbed up the wall and one of those corpse piles spawning shit.

Found out lesion's wiz died tonight also. Sad times. Logging for the night for fear of the deaths come in threes rule.
If it's anything like normal, you can still lose a monk pretty easy, but it is usually one of those moments where death happens so fast you barely have time to react.  My monk has been instagibbed in normal runs more times then I can count, and literally nothing i could have done would likely have saved me.  I remember 2 instances that really stick out:

- one was rounding a corner into a champion pack of those Charging Wild Beasts just before leoric's manner.  Was basicly walk around the corner, explode like a baloon filled with blood as the champ and all 3 minions charged me simultaneously.
- second one was much the same, except it was in the castle basement in Act IIIL: break open a door, die instantly to an exploding Lunatic i never even saw.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 11:50:10 PM

Its really nothing like normal, the way you play is not the way we play. Monks never ever die in normal hardcore to anything and I'm pretty sure he was just too destracted to get off any of his abilties. I know I was waiting for him to Cyclone strike so I could earthquake everything and he never did then I realized he was dead.

He had 678 Vit and was using a shield, he wasn't esp. well geared (lazy gearing to be using flawless gems at our level) but only poor play can excuse what happened there imo he had the hp pool to give himself time to react and do something.

-William Gibson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Hardcore Discussion/Graveyard  
Jump to: