Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: From Mount Arreat, with love (Barbarian Thread) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: From Mount Arreat, with love (Barbarian Thread)  (Read 80675 times)
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 08:53:45 PM

After the first night of playing I am liking the class so far. It feels very...visceral. We just finished Act 1 (everyone rolled an alt to level with me til I reach their mains), and it's been a blast. I know it's probably not the best spell for later, but right now I am digging Frenzy. The faster attack speed is just darn cool.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 09:15:29 PM

Once you get the revenge %30 chance rune around level 50 that skill becomes VERY viable as dps and survival.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 10:12:31 AM

Hmm. Maybe it's been playing my DH so much, but I've been rolling with Wrath of the Berserker a lot: CC breaks seem kind of necessary for surviving elite packs.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 12:59:56 PM

Fact: Barbarian attacks are the most satisfying thing in Diablo 3. It is impossible to not enjoy watching a skeleton or goblin blow up and fly across the screen in pieces. Even breaking barrels is more satisfying on a barbarian. My monk has more interesting abilities, but it can't really compare to how destructive barbarian feels.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 01:08:49 PM

I just can't get over the squishiness of being melee in later levels without going sword and board. Being unable to use a two hander as a barbarian makes me very unhappy.

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 01:28:48 AM

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I keep getting killed.  Level 24 barbarian, I've got okay gear and the boss of 2nd act Baeil keeps killing me when he gets his second wind/form.  I get killed a lot from random crap, where I'll be kicking ass, then bam, I'm dead.  I guess  I could always play with other people, but I wanted to leisurely level up and read the story plot.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #41 on: May 25, 2012, 02:19:25 AM

Try to get more life steal type stuff into your build for that fight maybe?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 25, 2012, 02:26:48 AM

Is your Templar with you? And is he trained for the healing skills? That's kept me alive a few times.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #43 on: May 25, 2012, 03:11:44 AM

It was gear.  I went and got level 25ish gear that I could afford that had +vit, +life on hit, and +str, from the auction hall and steam rolled him with it.  Feels like cheating though...in diablo ii could have done it with gear I had found.  Is it common to get drops so low bellow your level?
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 25, 2012, 03:27:15 AM

Yeah, low level drops are very common. It's one of the main complaints in the bitch thread. I twinked myself out on the AH as well. It really does make loot you find less exciting when you know you can buy something 10 times better for a couple thousand gold.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 25, 2012, 06:37:49 AM

Once you get the revenge %30 chance rune around level 50 that skill becomes VERY viable as dps and survival.

Once I started playing Hell I felt like I can't live without revenge, I need to life steal to even survive.  Kinda sucks actually, it's a good skill but I hate living or dying by the RNG off of being hit.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #46 on: May 25, 2012, 07:19:08 AM

Once I started playing Hell I felt like I can't live without revenge, I need to life steal to even survive.  Kinda sucks actually, it's a good skill but I hate living or dying by the RNG off of being hit.

I am being very conservative (paranoid) in Hardcore and taking more skills that heal. Pound of Flesh passive is insane when it procs. Was in a scrum of 30+ minor trash mobs and had no less than 10 globes at the end of the 10sec melee scrum (ty, earthquake +whirlwind). I also gave Rend + the heals rune for a spin or two. Might be worth it on bosses, but trash groups - it is kind of a waste. Revenge is nice, but I hate abilities that need a proc to activate. I hardly notice the ability when it becomes available and by the time I do, its timer has just ran out.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 05:08:19 PM

Any tips on fighting Diablo in Nightmare mode?  I do fine in corporal form, but the dream world is rough without heals.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 05:24:22 PM

I recommend trying to do it in a team. Barring that I recommend using Revenge with the heal restoring glyph to fill in the gaps.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 28, 2012, 05:33:04 PM

I recommend trying to do it in a team. Barring that I recommend using Revenge with the heal restoring glyph to fill in the gaps.

Been using that, but it's just not enough with only one target to get heals from.  Perhaps getting a friend to help will do the trick.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 05:41:44 PM

My staple is using the improved warcries passive & a warcry of your choice. This gives you a %heal based on your hp, which is relatively cheap to cast and stays up for a while.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 06:14:50 PM

Any tips on fighting Diablo in Nightmare mode?  I do fine in corporal form, but the dream world is rough without heals.

The answer to every "I'm having problems with X" question in Diablo 3 is "use the AH". I kept dying solo to Nightmare Diablo in the dream world after killing the second clone. After failing 3 times, I bought a new axe and 1-shot the fight. Upgrading from the item I was using to one of the lvl 48-50ish weapons I could find in the AH doubled my dps.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 28, 2012, 07:37:47 PM

I managed to defeat him solo with only gear obtained through drops.  I guess that I get to farm Hell level for gear now as a reward? 

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 28, 2012, 07:40:26 PM

The answer to every "I'm having problems with X" question in Diablo 3 is "use the AH". I kept dying solo to Nightmare Diablo in the dream world after killing the second clone. After failing 3 times, I bought a new axe and 1-shot the fight. Upgrading from the item I was using to one of the lvl 48-50ish weapons I could find in the AH doubled my dps.

There is a serious jump from 49 to 51 in armor rating and dmg that I have noticed. My old 48 piece that I had just bought at 47 had 170ish armor... new piece is 200+ with extra amor as a stat. Same with weapons... I upgraded my lvl 47 sword from 127 dmg unsocketed to 190+ unsocketed in the same bracket.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 29, 2012, 04:23:35 AM

Lifesteal is trash.  Life on hit however is godly.  Stack this as much as possible (if you really want to go for broke use it with frenzy).

There is a video of a Barb soloing inferno diablo and he did it by stacking a massive amount of life on hit.

Here it is:  http://www.youtube.com/user/Kripparrian

Kripparian's site in general is a terrific resource for hardcore players, he really understands the mechanics of itemization very well. He inspired me to roll a bar for hardcore. I'm a bit burnt out on my Necro, and depressed about how weak my pets feel.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 05:41:51 AM

In nightmare you can just chain-stun diablo with bash using the clobber rune. Does feel a bit like cheating but...

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 29, 2012, 07:51:03 AM

Lifesteal is trash.  Life on hit however is godly.  Stack this as much as possible (if you really want to go for broke use it with frenzy).

There is a video of a Barb soloing inferno diablo and he did it by stacking a massive amount of life on hit.

Here it is:  http://www.youtube.com/user/Kripparrian

Kripparian's site in general is a terrific resource for hardcore players, he really understands the mechanics of itemization very well. He inspired me to roll a bar for hardcore. I'm a bit burnt out on my Necro, and depressed about how weak my pets feel.

Not that I'm playing a Barb, but that was really useful. It's annoying that effects such as the lifesteal reduction by difficulty are not spelled out anywhere ingame, I had no idea about that.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 30, 2012, 05:36:50 PM

Nightmare Diablo was quite possibly the easiest fight I have had in the game to date... and I owe it all to Frenzy with the Smite rune. Fucking stunlocked his ass for both fights. Anytime he would wind up his fire breath or ring of fire ability, ground stomp stun if Frenzy didn't proc. Can't say enough about it in boss fights...

statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 04, 2012, 08:32:38 AM

Once you get to hell, proc-based stuns don't work on bosses anymore, sorry.

Rocking out the HC stuff, thanks in part to Kripparian. I'm 43 and just beat Belial Nightmare, didn't have to move out of the way of the green meteors.

Just one thing to note that was totally non-apparent: Wrath of the Berserker (Insanity) increases all damage by 100%, which includes Earthquake, which on top of the DPS buff you get from the extra attack speed, means Earthquaking under Wrath does about 5000% damage. It's a kind of "I win" button every two minutes on elite packs.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 04, 2012, 09:34:55 AM

Rocking out the HC stuff, thanks in part to Kripparian. I'm 43 and just beat Belial Nightmare, didn't have to move out of the way of the green meteors.

Just one thing to note that was totally non-apparent: Wrath of the Berserker (Insanity) increases all damage by 100%, which includes Earthquake, which on top of the DPS buff you get from the extra attack speed, means Earthquaking under Wrath does about 5000% damage. It's a kind of "I win" button every two minutes on elite packs.

Going to watch his videos later. After my WD bit the dust, I was going to hit up monk since I have one waiting that's already past the Butcher on Normal/HC. But I think I'll go Barbarian instead. Played one through Normal once and rather liked it. Plus, the items on the AH for HC are far cheaper so far with STR gear than DEX. Not sure why. Are there just far more people playing DH and Monk? Or is it because only the Barb uses STR? Either way, I'm all about cheap upgrades.
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #60 on: June 04, 2012, 09:50:56 AM

Sadly I played my Barb all the way through hell without knowing I could set up with two rage skills and what not.  Thanks for making me actually look at least now I can set up my WD differently.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 06:29:06 PM

Tempted to swap out Threat Shout with this.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 05, 2012, 01:28:40 AM

I finished NM mode at level 49 last night on my barb.

25K HP with a Legendary 2H putting my DPs at over 1500dps

LMB = Frenzy (Vanguard)
RMB = Whirlwind (Windshear)

1 = Ground Stomp (Trembling Stomp/Foot of the Mountain)
2 = Revenge (Vengeance Is Mine/Retribution)
3 = War Cry (Invigorate)
4 = Wrath of the Berserker (Insanity/Slaughter) - still trying to work out which is a better staple

Passives:
Bloodthirst
Nerves Of Steel
Superstition

It seems to work - not pure DPS and I hate relying on the passives for defence but I can usually stand up to most large packs - WW is a get out of jail card for mortars etc and I find that if the packs are big enough I can sit and spin forever chaining WW and Revenge.

I have a feeling this will fail in Hell (when  I hit 50) in which case I will shelve the barb because I want to have fun, not play all defensive  Heartbreak

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 05, 2012, 06:32:01 AM

What's your crit percent? Unless you've been stacking it hard, then you just want insanity, because if you need AOE damage, you just whirlwind/revenge at 100% damage.

But yeah, slaughter at maxed crit? That seems hilarious.

Also, this build, do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ci1pRxzYwDs
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:17:32 AM by tastyhat »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #64 on: June 05, 2012, 08:53:45 AM

That's my build for inferno. It's extremely gear dependant though. You need enough resists to survive and enough Strength/DPS on your 1Her to make it not suck.

Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 05, 2012, 09:11:05 AM

No Leap? Gah... I dunno what I'd do with myself without it.  ACK!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #66 on: June 05, 2012, 09:13:34 AM

Leap doesn't work in Inferno.

It just...doesn't.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 05, 2012, 10:40:22 AM

My Inferno build

Switch Ignore Pain w/ Mob Rule for Battle Rage w/ Marauder's Rage if solo.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:42:59 AM by Rokal »
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 05, 2012, 06:06:54 PM

So... anyone recommend any strategies for taking down Diablo in normal...?  I've given it a few tries with different skills but always end up pretty much stomped on.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 05, 2012, 07:32:47 PM

Well, I think the first question is: how bad is it if you're caught in a bone prison?

If the answer is: it nearly kills me, then you probably want to buy more +vit gear.

Go defensive, and go stunning.
Bash/Clobber
Leap +armor
Ground Stomp +range
Revenge +life for heals
Two of: War Cry / Threatening Shout / Ignore Pain

For passives:
Nerves of Steel / Superstition / Inspiring Presence (if you're not 30, then Berserker Fury, since you have no fury dumpers in this build)

Your goal is to efficiently rotate your cooldowns, combining with stuns, to get as little damage as possible. So when you leap in, you've got 4 seconds of very low damage. Save your ground stomp for being low on life or more frequently, when he starts bone prisons / electric breath.

Try to keep in front of him (south). This way, when he starts bone prisons, you can just run south, and you can see them on the ground. If you're obscured by him, you'll get caught more often.

By rotating all those defensive skills, and stuns, you'll have a lot of time to let potions and your life regen from the shout kick in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: From Mount Arreat, with love (Barbarian Thread)  
Jump to: