Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:37:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: First Impressions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 316208 times)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: April 28, 2012, 01:07:38 PM

Just hit level 14 on my necro cat... structured pvp is kind of strange in this game, it feels more like a TF2 cp_* map or a LOL dominion match than anything. I don't think that's a bad thing, but ymmv. Haven't tried wvw yet, but from the wvw summary screen it looks like we managed to pick the underdog server anyway, so yeah.  awesome, for real

Anyway, game definitely has balance issues (but then, most betas do). As an ash legion charr there was a mission where I had to kill a mesmer boss 2 levels above me along with 4 of his guards. I had two (mostly useless) allies helping... or rather, dying while beating on the mesmer illusions. The boss actually followed me to the spawnpoint and corpse camped me for 3-4 deaths (rezzing my allies was obviously out of the question) until I figured out a way to burn him down. Earlier there was another charr boss that 1-shot me as soon as he aggroed. Yeahhhh... no.
It did get easier / more fun after I unlocked weapon switching and got a staff... I could mark everything to oblivion and kill pulls of 3-4 mobs without problems (shades of coh). The starter self-heal skill is shitty, I dumped it for well of blood asap. The death form thing is great for deferring defeat (you can hop into it at 1 hp and stay alive for a ridic long time). After unlocking the fourth skill, it becomes a very potent pbaoe ability as well. It really shines in pvp though, since there are lots of traits that buff it to give knockdown immunity, give various buffs/debuffs when entering/leaving it, etc... not to mention it has a version of warlock deathcoil. My favorite 'shapeshifting' ability in pvp has to be plague form though, it just messes people up so bad.

e: speling hard
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:11:04 PM by Zetor »

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: April 28, 2012, 01:09:53 PM

While I sit here futilely hitting the login button it occurs to me that man they sure underestimated their capacity, but I guess they got our money so dont have to care.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: April 28, 2012, 01:11:23 PM

I hear they punch old ladies in the office. Old ladies they rented with the money you gave them.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: April 28, 2012, 01:12:31 PM

While I sit here futilely hitting the login button it occurs to me that man they sure underestimated their capacity, but I guess they got our money so dont have to care.

I'm betting their Ops folks were overruled on "we need more than 2 weeks to get more hardware in place with that sweet preorder money"

This game is decidedly 6 months out from release. I've loved the bit I could play, but it needs a lot of bug stomping, and a content/tuning/polish pass.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 28, 2012, 01:13:39 PM

If it's a reason for optimism, GW1 had their preorder beta weekend events MONTHS AND MONTHS prior to release. I could totally see them doing the same thing if they need to.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: April 28, 2012, 01:18:58 PM

If it's a reason for optimism, GW1 had their preorder beta weekend events MONTHS AND MONTHS prior to release. I could totally see them doing the same thing if they need to.

There's a difference between a preorder box with a $5 "deposit" (or no deposit at all) and a "pre-purchase" at $60. It's not big money to me, but people are going to expect a product. I think they're also on shaky ground in terms of consumer stuff.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: April 28, 2012, 01:22:08 PM

Ya I wish I could get Visa to reply with
Unable to complete operation.

Please try again in a few minutes. (Code=48:1000:7006:529:101)
when they go to get the cash.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 28, 2012, 01:44:01 PM

Better tutorials are always a good thing but i don't really see what was complicated or confusing about the game.  Seemed pretty straight forward and simple.

I am the .00000001428%
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: April 28, 2012, 01:47:25 PM

As far as actual quibbles go i am pretty annoyed my greatsword mesmer doesn't have any actual "hit the guy with your gigantic sword" skills.  I certainly did not pick greatsword to be a ranged class.

I am the .00000001428%
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 28, 2012, 01:52:13 PM

I agree better tutorials are needed, but it's not like the game isn't playable without them. For bugs, the biggest thing I've really run into is I was assigned a random server on start up and server transfers aren't working...so I'm fucked on that end. Besides that, players can't delete all of their characters and then choose a new server freely, then some buttons in the UI aren't full working (start a new character then choose to go to the mists immediately, it won't let you) so just small stuff.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying it.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 28, 2012, 01:58:35 PM

Combat has a certain rhythm to it that I both like and hate. A lot of skills aren't instantaneous so I feel like this itch that I should be doing more when really I've done all I could for the time being. Shadowstep skills feel awkward especially the ones that let you blink in and out, beta issues most likely. Maybe the thief class isn't for me, even though those promo videos made the Charr thief look so  Heart

Nevermind, Im getting used to it now. Love it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:35:40 PM by Nightblade »
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: April 28, 2012, 02:00:03 PM

Do you dodge? Not a flippant question. You really do have to dodge. Often.

That auto-death in the tutorial at the big boss is intended. It's their idea of a tutorial for how you get up from near death. They need better tutorials. This isn't the first time it's been brought up.
I understand the importance of dodging and do it as much as possible. It's just in the particular instance of the earth elemental, there's no cue telling me when I need to. With Barradin and Jormag there's a fairly obvious windup letting me know when it's time to get the hell out of dodge (ahem!) but the elemental doesn't really seem to do much of anything.

If it's meant as a tutorial for the downed state, then yeah, it could do with some work. Even if they just allowed us to view what our downed skills do without having to be in the state it would help. But I assume there's a good few months between now and release so I'm hoping to see things improve in that time.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: April 28, 2012, 02:02:04 PM

They really should pop up some sort of message there like when you get your first skill point to let you know it was intended and what happens when you die.

I am the .00000001428%
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: April 28, 2012, 02:05:09 PM

It's just in the particular instance of the earth elemental, there's no cue telling me when I need to.

Think you're misunderstanding me. The auto-down attack is not dodgeable and should be happening to EVERYONE in the fight at some point, just not all at once. It's an automatic thing. This is their idea of training you what being down means and how to get up. It's pretty crummy.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: April 28, 2012, 02:12:37 PM

Oh, ok. Yeah that does seem like a rather clunky way of going about things. Is that why it always happens when the little minions spawn, so you have something you can kill to rally off of? Hopefully they come up with something a bit more elegant before release.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 28, 2012, 02:24:44 PM

These open world events are fun now, but will be soul crushing in a few months when the novelty of the game has worn off.  Having groups of 3 and 4 level 8 mobs charge a level 3 area isn't good game design, particularly when the number of low level players will dwindle with time.  We saw this in WAR.  We saw this in Rift.  World events happening at the low levels require a constant population of players to maintain interest.  Three months after release, new players will get crushed by these events due to a sheer lack of player numbers in the low levels.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: April 28, 2012, 02:25:52 PM

They scale. Trust me, those events are nothing like that big when there aren't lots of people around.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 28, 2012, 02:41:08 PM

Well, that's why this book specifically confuses me.  The name is in blue, as if it's important.  But it seems to have no use at all after you double click it for the skill point.  It sounds like it'll have a use eventually, it just doesn't right now.  Which is fine, this is still a beta after all.
You can put it in the bank and have other characters read it for an easy-to-get skill point.

It also says account collectable.  The bank has a collection tab, though nothing for books at the moment.  You can put crafting materials, minis, and food in the tab.  (PS: right-click any crafting material in your inventory and you can send it to the bank.  From anywhere.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 28, 2012, 04:45:03 PM

The posts completely dry up as soon as the game lets us in, hah.

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 28, 2012, 05:46:06 PM

Finally had enough room on Fort Aspenwood to be able to transfer there.  With 15 minutes left for free transfers if they didn't extend them.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 28, 2012, 05:52:48 PM

What does "effective level" mean?

I am the .00000001428%
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: April 28, 2012, 06:19:40 PM

I've just gotten frustrated and wandered off to play other things. The three intro areas I could play? I will adore this game.

The complete lack of response if we should even expect an attempted fix this weekend from ANet says either they don't have near the support staff ramped up that they need to actually run this thing (likely), or that they were expecting as smooth a run as the press weekend and all their actual coders skipped town for the weekend and will come back to 4.7 million crash reports on monday.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: April 28, 2012, 06:20:23 PM

Anyone on that can toss Pheyde an invite? I lost my guild somehow.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: April 28, 2012, 06:20:33 PM

What does "effective level" mean?
It's the level your character is scaled down to when you go into a lower level area.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: April 28, 2012, 09:00:22 PM

The bank is available to all characters on the account.  You can probably dump Arena Net isn't big on explaining every little bit of the game, but they do tell you if an item has a utility beyond being a random piece of loot and making sure that even if you throw away something vital that you can fairly easily get a replacement.

So instead of the convenience of mailing items to other characters they want you to go all the way back to the main city and put it in the bank then run there on the other char and fetch it out?

For all the people bitching about running all over the place:

THERE ARE FUCKING WAYPOINTS EVERYWHERE.  Use them.  Port all over the fucking place.  Traveling in this game is easier than any other game in the world.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: April 28, 2012, 11:38:45 PM

TERA's combat is significantly better. And I guess I've come to realize this matters to me more than anything else in an MMO. The moment to moment fun of combat. Not these stupid cutscenes that GW2 has with characters voice acting the most banal, uninspired drivel you'd expect out of some B-grade euroRPG. I mean, SWTOR went balls deep on story and voice acting, and it still wasn't good enough to carry a game. This kind of drivel is just thin tasteless frosting. For me, these last few MMO's I've played have really exemplified what matters and what doesn't - some developer-enforced story I am almost always going to fast-forward through because the writing is hackneyed shit in even the best scenario. My MMO story comes from the random stuff my character does and the real people my character interacts with along the way, full stop. Not this force-fed pablum like GW2's cutscenes that are on the dramatic level of some poorly acted high school play. This shit SUCKS, even at its best in SWTOR, this shit SUCKS and comes off as juvenile and contrived and poorly acted. What matters is how fun is the repeated interactions my character has with the world. How fun is it to slice some motherfucker up, for the twentieth time, hundreth time, how fun is that carving motion.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:41:15 PM by AcidCat »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: April 29, 2012, 12:07:17 AM

They're not in competition. One is the action and the other is giving flavor for why you are mashing buttons.

It's a fun pop-corn game, get in and kill stuff, but I do wonder about the depth. And I have to say my interest in beta-testing something I've basically bought is really minimal. I feel sort of obliged if I'm playing for free, but since I'm not I don't. And given how crazy the action is popping up little survey boxes is generally met with a quick click on cancel.

Though in general at this stage they're not going to change anything fundamental and they probably have a fully populated todo list before launch.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: April 29, 2012, 12:48:06 AM

As someone who's henchmen/heroes carried them in GW1... This is a strange change.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #98 on: April 29, 2012, 01:16:01 AM

I liked the little intro thing (Human Thief), which went well enough, but after, the events while helping the farmers were frustrating as the baddies seemed a bit overpowered (and I don't seem to have any way to heal yet), so I got stomped on once or twice.  Not entirely sure I understand how the fight-for-your-life minigame works.

I was annoyed after hiking a long ways to get to the next part of my quest to *then* be told "recommended for level 3" -- if I had known that up front I might have fought more critters before hiking over to the next waypoint.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: April 29, 2012, 03:05:14 AM

Every class at level 1 gets a self heal in slot 6. The thief one is a combined short stealth and heal, "Hide in Shadows".

The map does show the suggested level if you mouse-over, but they really should put that on the mini quest tracker they use.

The down skills are basically 3 "stop hitting me!" skills and a 4th bandage skill to get you back up without outside assistance. Most of the time you'll either get ressed if the zerg wins or get finished off if no one is left standing.

- Simond
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: April 29, 2012, 04:10:10 AM

The map does show the suggested level if you mouse-over, but they really should put that on the mini quest tracker they use.
It has this already, the number in brackets after the name of the quest/event is the suggested level.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: April 29, 2012, 05:45:03 AM

This thread cements my personal First Rule of MMOs: never take part in betas.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: April 29, 2012, 06:36:29 AM

It has this already, the number in brackets after the name of the quest/event is the suggested level.

I'm not sure if it does for story-line quests though.

- Simond
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: April 29, 2012, 07:05:52 AM

It does.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #104 on: April 29, 2012, 07:46:11 AM

This thread cements my personal First Rule of MMOs: never take part in betas.

For once, I am taking your advice.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: First Impressions  
Jump to: