Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:03:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "I'll see you in Shadowbane, capitalist running dogs!" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "I'll see you in Shadowbane, capitalist running dogs!"  (Read 11757 times)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

on: April 24, 2012, 10:34:23 AM

China-focused game site 178.com reports that Changyou has acquired the intellectual property rights and source code to the Shadowbane name and universe, and is using these resources to create a new title dubbed World of Shadowbane.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/169064/Chinas_Changyou_reviving_onceshuttered_MMO_Shadowbane.php

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 10:35:22 AM

Ok, i'll admit it.  I miss shadowbane.

I am the .00000001428%
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:37:37 AM

Acquire 2 cRuSh?

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:39:46 AM

How many games did Territory control and an engaging "feudal" system? Just EVE as far as I can think, and it doesn't have swords, magic or flags. Not sure about the IP, but the game has potential for a worldly pvp niche. I loved Shadowbane a few years after they fixed SB.exe and the fact that you could lose your town overnight, but it was already too late to get any kind of attention.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:41:38 AM by Falconeer »

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 03:20:11 AM

It it existed for *years* after they fixed client crashes?

Did it really? It didn't in my head, but  Heartbreak
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 03:20:47 AM

Eve is kept going because it has a very large PvP-free zone with complex enough mechanics special people spend years grinding for the ship of their dreams and to which the defeated can retreat and (before titans) rebuild. I don't believe SB had anything like that?

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 02:44:26 PM

No of course the comparison is a stretch, Shadowbane wasn't nearly as complex as eve. But it had a huge (the whole world) PvP area where guilds competed for resources and territory control through a nice alliances/suballiances system, and defending your cities wasn't that crazy hard when they implemented the system where the attackers had to buy a siege stone and place it in front of your city 24 hours before they could start attacking the gate and walls.

It goes without saying, the whole thing was perfect for very interesting and pleasant (if that is your thing) metagaming. Politics, diplomacy, etc., something that if I am not mistaken can only be found in... eve.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 03:03:23 PM

But what does this have to do with...um. Never mind.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 04:21:37 PM

The first 3 weeks after launch was about the most fun I have ever had in a video game. Then I moved and lost internet connection for 2 weeks, and by the time I logged on again, it was all ashes.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 04:23:36 PM

For me it was the beta test for the second expansion.  By then most of the horrendous technical difficulties were solved but the population was so low about 80% of it was in beta, the test server became an all out server vs server battle.

I am the .00000001428%
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:21:23 AM

No one cares anymore.  There are much better  MMO pvp games coming out  (Archeage for example) - without the bugs , lag ,glitches and flawed design. Shadowbane had nice lore  and art direction. But implementation  was horribad
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 01:04:43 AM

Wait a second: Archeage is my last hope for a sandboxy open PvP game. But "without the bugs , lag ,glitches and flawed design"? Where did you get that information? Or are you just a dreamer?

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 01:52:06 AM

Wait a second: Archeage is my last hope for a sandboxy open PvP game. But "without the bugs , lag ,glitches and flawed design"? Where did you get that information? Or are you just a dreamer?

There been 4 cbts and there are tons of information out there, while I am unfortunate to not be in beta I read detailed reports on goha.ru forums and saw plenty of fan made videos to substantiate em.  From technical point of view archeage is a typical asian product - polished, smooth and well running (discounting the minor issues -it is a beta after all). There are some concerns with some design issues but game overall is very promising
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:53:44 AM by Dark_MadMax »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 05:00:38 AM

There been 4 cbts and there are tons of information out there, while I am unfortunate to not be in beta I read detailed reports on goha.ru forums and saw plenty of fan made videos to substantiate em.  From technical point of view archeage is a typical asian product - polished, smooth and well running (discounting the minor issues -it is a beta after all). There are some concerns with some design issues but game overall is very promising
It's also probably a typical asian product in that it's probably less work to literally build your own fucking castle in real life.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Xilren's Twin

Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 05:03:21 AM

Shadowbane for all it's technical faults and questionable design decisions, definately hit on something special that I have yet to see replicated in another game.
The inital land rush to plant cities in the most advantageous spots, the manic initial building phase, the shops with random gear, treating pve basically as resource generation (gold and rune drops), small guilds being useful to larger ones,   plus all the political stuff external to the game did truly make for a unique experience for me.  It did tend to spiral out of control relatively quickly, but i really thing that beyond that techincal issues, much of the other problems could have been resolved with preset short time framces for server resets.  Whether implementing some sort of "win" conditions, or a 6-8 week time frame of something, being able to start over fresh without being at a huge competitive disadvantage would have helped keep people in the game.  Make it more sport like with seasons.  (I think this might also be useful in EVE but i just couldnt get past the game itself to every find the fun.)

That being said, no idea why china wants this now.  Sb.exe FTW!

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 07:47:14 AM

Or are you just a dreamer?
He had to run away high, so he wouldn't come home low.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 08:09:45 AM

Shadowbane with WASD movement would be awesome, if it ever happened.  That was probably my biggest design complaint about the game when I played it.  The PVP related politics is part of what made the game so great (as well as AC DT when it was fresh and new) along with the build-your-city concept.  I spent hours in IMs or on voice chat with my guild leader planning out building placement and design for the best defense.  It hurt like hell losing your city and our naivety was server legend ("open city?  who runs a completely open city in this game?") but hell, it was fun at the same time. 

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 08:50:22 AM

Shadowbane had so many problems it'd have to be gutted.  

I'd love see A.net do a remake of it the same way they are re-doing DAoC RvR.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:16:40 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 09:13:01 AM

Shadowbane had two things they succeeded at that no one has come close to replicating: character class progression design and the ability to move anything on the UI anywhere on the screen as a button. Their UI, once you fixed it, was just fantastic.

There was so much that could have been good about that game. The first month of trying to be the PVP commander for House Taeryn was a punishing mixture of awesome and infuriating. Nothing like marching an army halfway across a continent, having to stop every 5-10 minutes for SB.EXE!, get back in game and get them moving again, finally arriving at a goddam slideshow of spell effects, clipping path issues and confusion in front of a castle, more SB.EXE ending in something like a resolution based on how many people managed to stay online long enough through the crashes.

Many great ideas absolutely nut-shot by piss poor implementation. So pretty much the story of MMO's.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 01:01:40 PM

I remember selling runes on ebay for 10-75 dollars each. I would log on at work right when they spawned, kill the mob, port home, list them on ebay. Average rune was 20 bucks. Not sure why so many people bought them but I made around 2500 bucks from it. Had some great fights over runes, including my favorite open pvp story ever!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:09:06 PM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 01:29:09 PM

Shadowbane had two things they succeeded at that no one has come close to replicating: character class progression design and the ability to move anything on the UI anywhere on the screen as a button. Their UI, once you fixed it, was just fantastic.

There was so much that could have been good about that game. The first month of trying to be the PVP commander for House Taeryn was a punishing mixture of awesome and infuriating. Nothing like marching an army halfway across a continent, having to stop every 5-10 minutes for SB.EXE!, get back in game and get them moving again, finally arriving at a goddam slideshow of spell effects, clipping path issues and confusion in front of a castle, more SB.EXE ending in something like a resolution based on how many people managed to stay online long enough through the crashes.

Many great ideas absolutely nut-shot by piss poor implementation. So pretty much the story of MMO's.
You guys marched an army?

We just sent some people who could summon to an isolated area and had the whole army summoned in 5 minutes.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 01:31:53 PM

I remember that.  We did have good logistics.  I also remember playing a class that at the time could only really be annoying and not do any real damage.  So, I scouted, which was kind of interesting.

Then I built some sort of priest nuker and by the time that guy was battle ready we had pacified the entire world.   Ohhhhh, I see.

-Rasix
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 01:37:42 PM

We just sent some people who could summon to an isolated area and had the whole army summoned in 5 minutes.

And all those fancy walls the enemy guild spent weeks putting up and a small fortune to pay for were then rendered moot when the same people who just summoned the army then used their group fly abilities to get them to the other side.

At least, I could've sworn they had a group fly.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 01:48:12 PM

Not enough summoners if I remember right.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 02:01:20 PM

And all those fancy walls the enemy guild spent weeks putting up and a small fortune to pay for were then rendered moot when the same people who just summoned the army then used their group fly abilities to get them to the other side.

They added anti flight defenses to castles.  They were expensive to run for long but during sieges they shut down flying completely.

I am the .00000001428%
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 12:13:55 AM

It's also probably a typical asian product in that it's probably less work to literally build your own fucking castle in real life.

Yeah thats my main concern. Things are setup grindy way - you haul materials on your back. slowly. from slowly respawning nodes. building something slowly . Well you get the point - its SLOWLY!
WayAbvPar

Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 10:00:26 AM

Do we have an ArcheAge thread? If not, someone who knows something about it get on it! Daddy needs a good PvP fix, and getting in on the ground floor of a new game (instead of being the perennial noob cannon fodder in DarkFall, for instance) would be perfect.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
BoatApe
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 10:31:06 AM

Do we have an ArcheAge thread? If not, someone who knows something about it get on it! Daddy needs a good PvP fix, and getting in on the ground floor of a new game (instead of being the perennial noob cannon fodder in DarkFall, for instance) would be perfect.

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=19609.0
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 08:39:25 AM

Shadowbane with WASD movement would be awesome, if it ever happened.  That was probably my biggest design complaint about the game when I played it. 

Yeah, I quit within an hour of downloading late-stage Shadowbane. Low server pops I could roll with, many things I could roll with... but click-to-move is a total dealbreaker.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 08:09:11 AM

They added anti flight defenses to castles.  They were expensive to run for long but during sieges they shut down flying completely.
We would just tear a hole in the wall and place siege stone in that hole.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "I'll see you in Shadowbane, capitalist running dogs!"  
Jump to: