Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:51:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Arche Age 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arche Age  (Read 301697 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: August 03, 2010, 05:30:11 AM

May be a grinder (?) but my lord is it pretty.

Arche Age - technical demonstration 1   ACK!

Arche Age - technical demonstration 2

Social and so on

Group Battle

Official page, but not much there, you will find more on various websites. Apparently this is the Lineage designer, Jake Song, and the CryTech’s CryEngine 2 at work.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:45:05 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 06:35:00 AM

The Arche Age website is full Korean.  So it's just going to be a new Lineage game most likely.  So *yawn*. 

Definitely looks pretty though.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:52 AM

World looks pretty.  The combat and character models... not so much.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:00:58 AM

I dunno, I am kind of interested in bringing down a row of archers sitting on a wooden platform. From the articles I have been reading, seems the combat is twitchy.

As for the player models, I would not go by the videos really:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:04:28 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:19:10 AM

I dunno, I am kind of interested in bringing down a row of archers sitting on a wooden platform. From the articles I have been reading, seems the combat is twitchy.

They probably shouldnt be producing SS's of gay men, thats all I see in that pic :P
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 11:34:39 AM

All I saw was a douchebag missing his bluetooth ear piece.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 04:00:15 PM

Why is it that the fireballs make the wooden structure fall apart, but it does not CATCH ON FIRE?!?!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 04:13:29 PM

Because that's how explosions work in real life?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:31:35 PM

I read this thread as Archie Age, and now I'm disappointed I can't visit Riverdale online.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:44:37 PM

I read this thread as Archie Age, and now I'm disappointed I can't visit Riverdale online.

I did the same but never commented.  I figured nobody would recognize the reference.  You have restored my faith. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:14 PM

Because that's how explosions work in real life?

Not sure if serious.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 06:25:10 AM

I did the same but never commented.  I figured nobody would recognize the reference.  You have restored my faith. 
I thought it, too.  You're not alone.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 09:55:31 AM

Hmm, interesting....

Oh, and website is in english too!!

http://www.archeage.com/en

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 09:57:29 AM

They probably shouldnt be producing SS's of gay men, thats all I see in that pic :P

Trying to make a male char that doesn't look like a teenage girl in an Asian game is about as hard as trying to make a female char that doesn't look like a pre teen with boobs.

I am the .00000001428%
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 10:12:46 AM

Playing Aion somehow reduced my desire to play anything similar, no matter how pretty.

I'm too old cranky for punishing grinds, I think.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 11:05:33 AM

Playing Aion somehow reduced my desire to play anything similar, no matter how pretty.

I'm too old cranky for punishing grinds, I think.

I find that I'll tolerate about any grind if the carrot of the endgame is alluring enough.  Fortunately, this hasn't been a problem as no new titles have an interesting enough endgame for my tastes.

-  Mark Twain
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 11:23:08 AM

I see Housing and I immediately think of instancing. Also, Labor Power + Housing reminds of me of ATiTD. Also, thinking about ATiTD gives me that ... building and development itch.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 11:25:35 AM

I see Housing and I immediately think of instancing. Also, Labor Power + Housing reminds of me of ATiTD. Also, thinking about ATiTD gives me that ... building and development itch.

Thinking about ATitD makes me weep.  I LOVED that game (particularly in the first telling) but cry for all of the lost potential. 

-  Mark Twain
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 11:32:43 AM

Afraid there will be a grind but the limited information looks interesting at least.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 12:04:24 PM

Thinking about ATitD makes me weep.  I LOVED that game (particularly in the first telling) but cry for all of the lost potential. 

Bring back open camps biyotch!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 12:58:32 PM

Count me as another that saw "Archie Age."

I was going to post "I call Jughead!"

Sorry, was on vacation or I would have posted ealier to help the morale all the old people here.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 05:16:59 AM

Well, at least it will look pretty (new official video showcasing the engine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5RUDtslVVk

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 05:30:17 AM

Afraid there will be a grind but the limited information looks interesting at least.

It's NcSoft, and developed by the guy who made Lineage.  If that doesn't scream "LONG ASS GRIND" to you, I'm not quite sure what to say to convince you.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 06:08:15 AM

Grind or not, this sounds very interesting. Seems like they really liked UO, High Seas expansion included.

According to an interview with Kyung-Tae Kim, the lead planner at XLGames, the second closed beta test of ArcheAge will be focused on battles at sea. Not only firefights, hand-to-hand combat is also available on the open ocean! Many more features are still in development, such as fishing in the middle of the ocean, housing on a deserted island, and hunting sea monsters.

Ships will be operated by players. One person should drive the ship while the others adjust the sails and fire the artillery. Of course one player can do all of these tasks, but it would be extremely difficult. The ship will be unsummoned when players disembark just like mounts (so no one can steal it).

The housing system will not limit players from building what they want to, but house types and sizes will be classified. Houses will have either a garden, a farm, or both. Players can put a farm tile next to the house later just like "WeRule" allows (a game for smartphones).

The wall of a castle will be constructed in a method similar to working with LEGO blocks. There will be no limitation since the wall will divide one’s territory from others. Players can also hire NPCs to inhabit their buildings.

A crime system will be also introduced for the first time. Players can report PKers by looting the blood of PKees, and the PKer will be debuffed and sentenced to jail for number of PKs comitted. Debuffed players cannot do anything but work in the jail. The funny thing here is that players can randomly loot a spoon and may break out of jail with it just like in the movie The Shawshank Redemption!

Among ArcheAge's many new systems is signposts, a pretty awesome and potentially unique feature. With this system, players can help each other complete quests by sticking a signpost near NPCs. Players can write walk-throughs or locations on the signpost or even teleport people to a specific location for a small fee. This keeps players in the game, not wasting time on third-party wikis or databases.

The registration for the second CBT of ArcheAge is ongoing and ends on the 31st. Servers will be up from November 4th to the 7th. The new build will feature new battle and craft skills and fixes the awkward movement animations of players characters. The UI will also be tweaked during this test.

And here's a ship building video.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 06:31:43 AM

I think I like everything about this game except probably for playing it.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 08:02:25 AM

Signposts, where you can "give instructions".  I don't see any problems with that.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 09:31:00 AM

And you can teleport people to locations - how can that possibly be a bad thing?  why so serious?

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 12:17:55 PM

Large cities are impressive, but I'm left wondering if they'll be filled with content, or just add meaningless travel time as you run to the NPC/vendor you want.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 02:24:36 PM

First thing I thought when I saw the cities was, "Hey, looks like it'll take me 30 minutes to go from the entrance of the city to wherever I need to go."
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 02:30:58 PM

Its simultaneous the only kind of MMORPG that interests me anymore, and the kind I don't have the time to play anymore.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 04:23:50 PM

First thing I thought when I saw the cities was, "Hey, looks like it'll take me 30 minutes to go from the entrance of the city to wherever I need to go."

From the guy who was a lead designer on Aion, this surprises you?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 05:37:40 PM

Signposts, where you can "give instructions".  I don't see any problems with that.
Doesn't Demon's Souls have feature like this? With players being able to leave tips for others?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 06:20:46 PM

If it's like Demon's Souls and you can only select pre-generated phrases it won't be that bad.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 06:57:16 AM

Beside the two big projects (GW 2 and TOR), this is the MMOG I'm looking forward the most; a small hope for us who still believe (or just would like to see another take on it) in the sandbox approach.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 07:04:41 AM

From the guy who was a lead designer on Aion, this surprises you?

No, not really.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Arche Age  
Jump to: