Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:30:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Kickstarter - The Thread. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter - The Thread.  (Read 413049 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #350 on: March 05, 2013, 07:17:37 AM

I hope that your point is that those look identical.

edit: after going to the actual link, now I get it.

I have never played WoW.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: March 05, 2013, 01:22:20 PM

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petroglyphgames/victory-1

Petroglyph got booted off of End of Nations - and now seem to be trying to make another version of it on the cheap.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #352 on: March 05, 2013, 07:22:59 PM

I hope that your point is that those look identical.

edit: after going to the actual link, now I get it.

I thought it was clever:

Emperor's New Clothes is an experimental product. As noted in the "Eye of the Beholder" section above, the game incorporates unconventional printing techniques and will appear blank to both non-gamers and a small subset of gamers. There is a risk that a backer will receive what appears to them to be a box of blank components. Accordingly, we advise all backers to watch the videos, look at the print-and-play, and follow the updates to ensure that they are able to see the ROOS before pledging.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #353 on: March 06, 2013, 06:40:38 AM

Ok, to be slightly more serious than I have been...

If you missed Monday’s announcement by the good folks at InXile, Brian Fargo and crew announced their new Kickstarter project opening tomorrow called Torment: Tides of Numenera. That name may sound oddly familiar, yes! They are making a spiritual successor to the beloved Planescape: Torment. We seriously couldn’t control ourselves here guys, and had to make sure all of you knew about it too as fans of the genre!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

I normally dislike video game KS....but...
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #354 on: March 06, 2013, 07:28:17 AM

Holy shitballs, $300,000+ and it's barely been open like, what, 2 hours?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: March 06, 2013, 07:42:52 AM

As a reminder, we have a thread over here about it.

beer geek.
schild
Administrator

Reply #356 on: March 06, 2013, 07:54:14 AM

The only thing nice about Kickstarting Video Games is they have to put a fake release date. I now know I will either be playing a Planescape followup in December 2014 or afterwards or a bunch of people are going to get scammed, me not being one of them.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #357 on: March 06, 2013, 08:26:32 AM

$460,000. I know Planescape Torment is hailed as having "the best writing in a vidja game ever" or whatever but I didn't expect it to have that many fans left. Guess it would be a generation at an age old enough to have disposable income though.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: March 06, 2013, 08:39:42 AM

$460,000. I know Planescape Torment is hailed as having "the best writing in a vidja game ever" or whatever but I didn't expect it to have that many fans left. Guess it would be a generation at an age old enough to have disposable income though.

The $95 tier sold out long before the $20 tier did, so yeah.

Plus, buzz. The fact that the page updates the amount collected and how many left of the certain levels adds in an urgency that I'm sure fuels a certain amount of PANIC BUYING.

beer geek.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #359 on: March 06, 2013, 09:32:25 AM

These kickstarters just show how screwed up the gaming industry is.  They are evidence that there are many people who will pay north of $100 for a great game, a price that should be more than economically compelling.  Yet the big guys turn out drek after drek, worrying more about how some gamers might pirate the drek as opposed to actually delivering a good game.

Just imagine a kickstarter pitch for the new SimCity that told the truth.  Not a dime would be advanced.  Now, of course, a lot of those funding game kickstarters are doing so with the "perfect" game in their heads which is a standard doomed to disappointment.  Still, the evidence that many people will pay more than adequate prices for quality games is right in front of the industry but all the big guys ignore it.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #360 on: March 06, 2013, 09:42:10 AM

Still, the evidence that many people will pay more than adequate prices for quality games is right in front of the industry but all the big guys ignore it.

You can't quantify quality on a spreadsheet unless you put in a field for the Metacritic score.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: March 06, 2013, 01:21:44 PM

Still, the evidence that many people will pay more than adequate prices for quality games is right in front of the industry but all the big guys ignore it.

You can't quantify quality on a spreadsheet unless you put in a field for the Metacritic score.

I don't know if the video was up when all this discussion was going on (edit: Doh just noticed this is all dated today. Strange I didnt find it searching the front page)
I just saw the video and it is funny and really puts the company perspective on kickstarters into perspective. I just hope they don't mess it up too badly because otherwise it's a great way around the requirement to deep throat  publishers. It's over a million now btw.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:23:57 PM by Phred »
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #362 on: March 06, 2013, 02:34:52 PM

It's at $1.15M now, having hit the goal in less than a day.  So, reports of the death of Kickstarter as a funding source for video games have been greatly exagerated.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: March 06, 2013, 03:31:26 PM

The poster on the wall was  cool too. Where can I contribute to save the tree octopii.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: March 06, 2013, 04:04:10 PM

These kickstarters just show how screwed up the gaming industry is.  They are evidence that there are many people who will pay north of $100 for a great game, a price that should be more than economically compelling.  Yet the big guys turn out drek after drek, worrying more about how some gamers might pirate the drek as opposed to actually delivering a good game.
A million dollars is not a lot of money in publisher terms, so the idea of a few thousand people shelling out $100 is not enticing. Alternately, it's too much money to throw away, and there's no guarantee that lightning will strike twice on outdated, niche products like this. Even if it does and the project ultimately triples or quadruples its production costs, a few million dollars is a small profit.

Kickstarter isn't either frightening or exciting publishers: It doesn't compete with them. It's another market entirely.

... and Sim City will make more money than this game by an order of magnitude.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #365 on: March 06, 2013, 05:21:11 PM

It's at $1.15M now, having hit the goal in less than a day.  So, reports of the death of Kickstarter as a funding source for video games have been greatly exagerated.

--Dave

It's not how they start, it's how they finish.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #366 on: March 06, 2013, 05:30:00 PM

These kickstarters just show how screwed up the gaming industry is. 

I agree, but for different reasons.

Fans are throwing money at a product that isn't anywhere near finished based on nostalgia and hype. All based on a short pitch by the developers that puts their plans in the kindest, softest light.

Plus they are paying $100 not just for the game, but for the reward levels. It's $100 for the supa-special collector's edition, plus P&H. Let's hope that the studio have accurately calculated how much it will cost to deliver all those extra rewards.

We've entered this weird phase where players are willing to effectively buy a game years in advance of its actual completion / release, but then baulk at buying any finished title for full price that doesn't score 8+ out of 10.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: March 06, 2013, 05:41:22 PM

Plus they are paying $100 not just for the game, but for the reward levels. It's $100 for the supa-special collector's edition, plus P&H. Let's hope that the studio have accurately calculated how much it will cost to deliver all those extra rewards.

For every KS i've participated in, the idea is that the cost of the tier includes shipping/handling. That's why a lot of them run another tier that is slightly more with the same exact stuff for outside the US.

Edit: A lot of them seem to just be adding a note at the bottom that reads "Add X for shipping outside the US" these days.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:30:23 PM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #368 on: March 07, 2013, 01:06:55 AM

A million dollars is not a lot of money in publisher terms, so the idea of a few thousand people shelling out $100 is not enticing. Alternately, it's too much money to throw away, and there's no guarantee that lightning will strike twice on outdated, niche products like this. Even if it does and the project ultimately triples or quadruples its production costs, a few million dollars is a small profit.
In my mind, the money provided by kickstarters is what's needed to make it a zero sum game to produce, i.e. any sales after the fact should in theory be pure profit. And this market should be bigger than the market already tapped by kickstarter.

Kickstarter isn't either frightening or exciting publishers: It doesn't compete with them. It's another market entirely.
And that's absolutely fine by me, since "publishers" seem to be increasingly insistent on alienating players like me, either through removing features I think should be in PC games, or adding features which I believe shouldn't be in PC games, or trying their hardest to fuck me over by requiring it be activated online on their servers (which literally almost always fails on launch day) or, in the case of sim city (which, incidentally I had hoped would be niche enough to be treated with actual respect Ohhhhh, I see.) an always-on requirement which doesn't work, requires you stick to the one server you've begun on or lose your progress and and and and.

I've helped kickstart 3 different games, and I was on course to kickstart a fourth, elite: dangerous. Turned out they were talking about making it into a semi-MMO (I have one space MMO I'm playing already, EVE, and I've also backed something which promises to be more of what I actually wanted, which was a new elite-like game, i.e. limit theory), at which point I pulled my backing because it wasn't what I was looking for. vOv

And this saddens me.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #369 on: March 07, 2013, 03:53:53 AM

I'm interested in seeing the results of the first big waves of kickstarters done by former notable devs from the industry just because it'll answer the question: Are these people really as good as we thought they were?

I mean even the hugest kickstarter is a small budget affair in the industry, but with complete creative control and well...pretty much complete unaccountability to the people who funded them (yeah their reps would be ruined if they failed to produce a game, but legally responsible? Nope.) we might get to see if their version of "teh vision" is really a pile of shit or not.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: March 07, 2013, 07:05:37 AM

For whom, though?
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: March 07, 2013, 08:44:41 AM

I'm not bagging on Kickstarter. I really like the idea behind it, and am watching it to determine how the risk/reward curve plots. It theoretically allows shoestring and small budget games to get made, and promises that money goes to developers rather than middlemen. It's one of those things that internet allows that could really change the business landscape.

It's just not going to solve the "why do big budget blockbuster games suck?" problem.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: March 07, 2013, 08:58:20 AM

It's just not going to solve the "why do big budget blockbuster games suck?" problem.

That's not what it's there for.

beer geek.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: March 07, 2013, 09:13:50 AM

I don't really care of big budget blockbuster games suck as long as high quality small budget niche games are being made.  It is that second group that was missing for a long time and has started making a comeback in the last 2-3 years.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: March 07, 2013, 10:37:17 AM

I know. I was originally responding to a specific post by shiznitz.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: March 08, 2013, 08:29:09 AM

beer geek.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: March 08, 2013, 08:48:02 AM

I hate myself for reading shit like this and thinking it will result in a fun game.  After all these years, I still fall for the hype machine.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: March 08, 2013, 09:01:30 AM

His weird tiny hair braid rat tail thing turned me off. Plus the shirt undone to expose the CHAIN.

beer geek.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: March 08, 2013, 09:02:52 AM

Using state-of-the-art tools and technology, the game will focus on what made his seminal Ultima Series great. Once players are introduced to the game, they will discover their own story woven into the immersive world and lore surrounding them. Players may choose to follow the life of the adventurer or, if they prefer, focus on exploration and discovery. Players may even choose the life of a homesteader; either nestled within the safety of the settled lands, or on the dangerous but potentially lucrative frontier.
Since when was 'what made his seminal Ultima Series great' anything about 'choose the life of a homesteader'? The fuck, Garriot? It's like he's the George Lucas of video games.

And I'm playing U7 right now so it's painful to have my nostalgia tugged at.  Also,

Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline
No.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: March 08, 2013, 09:07:01 AM

This doesn't fill me with hope he knows what made the old Ultimas good. I think this might be the CRPG Kickstarter I'll pass on.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: March 08, 2013, 09:11:59 AM

Player housing will live in the persistent shared world, so real estate will have location value.
Oh, Richard.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #381 on: March 08, 2013, 09:27:07 AM

Could someone tell him that maybe, just maybe, he should drop that part of it, unless he wants to make it a proper MMO?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: March 08, 2013, 09:31:08 AM

I'm done with game Kickstarters until I actually get to play one of the games that I have backed.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #383 on: March 08, 2013, 09:32:31 AM

Smart decision.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: March 08, 2013, 09:37:23 AM

I thought this was single player...

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Kickstarter - The Thread.  
Jump to: