Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:34:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Dragon's Dogma 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dragon's Dogma  (Read 32020 times)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

on: March 25, 2012, 10:58:12 AM

It's Capcpom's upcoming open world RPG. I wasn't expecting much, but today I ran into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NrCiV4LOYk4

It looks like the lovechild of Oblivion and Demon's Souls. And as a first in modern gaming, nighttime is nighttime and you can't see anything! No fast travel either if the video is to be believed.

Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:15:45 PM

That looks amazing!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Reads Wikipedia: No PC release.  Sad Panda

Well, Dark Souls is getting ported. So we can always hope.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 01:19:21 PM

Spectacular.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 01:37:21 PM

I was sold after ten seconds when he picked up and tossed that guard of the roof.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 01:57:39 PM

That looks amazing!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Reads Wikipedia: No PC release.  Sad Panda
I'm sure Capcom will do an incredibly shitty PC port of the game 3 or 4 years after this is released.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 02:00:54 PM

This has been day 0 for a while for me. Totally stoked. Will be one of the very few games I pick up in '12. Being a week after Diablo 3 though means it won't get played til 2015.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 03:10:16 PM

Same here.  This has been on my short list of 2012 for awhile now.  I really hope it looks good on PS3.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 07:07:54 PM

I'll pick it up even though like most large semi-sandboxy titles I'll get like 5 hours into the main plot and spend 10 fucking off before I drop it.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 07:14:15 PM

And as a first in modern gaming, nighttime is nighttime and you can't see anything!

Other than EQ1 you mean? What is the attraction to stumbling around in the dark for 12 hours anyway?
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 08:21:01 PM

FIRE BEETLE EYES AHHHHHHH That's why I immediately dropped human.

There is a neat online component to Dragon's Dogma.  After creating your character you create a "pawn" which is a partner for you in the game.  You can then lend out this pawn to other players who rent these mercenary pawns from a pawn guild (total of 4 including yourself in a party).  When a pawn encounters an enemy and learns the enemy's weakness, future encounters with the same enemy will have the pawn shouting out tips, like suggesting to climb an enemy, target a weak spot, etc.  So you might rent a pawn for your party who has already beaten the monster you are facing and the pawn will help you with tips.

Here's a pawn video with the pawn shopping center at 1m25s. Looking forward to this.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 08:32:21 PM

I still respect EQ immensely for having more realistic lighting than pretty much every MMOG since.  It added a LOT to the races to have very different ways of seeing; when night fell and you had infravision or ultravision the game felt very different from being human and needing that wispstone to light the area around you.  I was also enamored with the fire beetle eyes, thinking it very clever that they'd made monster guts actually useful to get.  EQ2 on the other hand just added shitty color filters that made it virtually impossible to see in night or day if you activated them, so no points there.

Just yesterday I was standing in a barrow in LOTRO thinking, "Where the hell is the light coming from in this underground room?"  And just before that, I was in the Shire skirmish and was busy being pissed off that I couldn't see shit despite being an elf.  Keen elven eyes my ass.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 08:46:05 PM

Oh, and side note: Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop all have pre-order bonuses.  Of them, Gamestop's looks the best to me.  Amazon and Best Buy both give vaguely crappy-looking free equipment that you'll probably be throwing away after an hour or two, but Gamestop's bonus is in currency to buy pawns.  And if you start off with a higher-level follower, that edge doesn't go away as they keep on gaining experience.  It'll become inconsequential at some point down the road, but never as totally useless as a rusty sword on a 20th level character.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 10:53:18 PM

One of my most memorable EQ moments was as a result of the really dark nights.  While playing an Erudite I was walking through the newbie zone at night and decided to walk across a bridge.  On the bridge I looked out at the water for a moment and then turned back to face the rest of the bridge, only now there was a huge snarling Troll who had approached from the south.  I actually jumped out of my seat and was promptly clobbered.  It was harsh, but made for one of the most compelling memories I have from any mmo, and it wouldn't have happened without dark nights because I would've seen him from further away and avoided the bridge entirely.

I like the sense of mystery and dread in that video, and I think it's mostly a result of the darkness.  The nighttime zombie fight looked exhilarating.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 02:24:29 AM

Just yesterday I was standing in a barrow in LOTRO thinking, "Where the hell is the light coming from in this underground room?"

Ohhhhh, I see.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 02:29:16 AM

Just yesterday I was standing in a barrow in LOTRO thinking, "Where the hell is the light coming from in this underground room?"

Elven poop.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 02:15:19 PM

Other than EQ1 you mean? What is the attraction to stumbling around in the dark for 12 hours anyway?

I remember saving up my barbarian warrior pennies for days to buy a lantern, and then I figured out that I could just turn up the gamma on my video settings and make the night go away for free.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 01:41:58 AM

This looks really good but I'm deathly scared of AI partners.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 09:44:34 AM

Ditto. At one point in the video the guy sees a troll ahead and it seems like his "team" goes rushing in before he even decides to engage. On one hand I feel like it gives the player freedom to play a glass cannon class, but I have yet to play a game with NPC assistants without moments that I wanted to murder them.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 10:00:55 AM

We put up with it in Skyrim. *shrug*

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 10:11:50 AM

Of all the monsters I've killed, I think Lydia tops the charts.  We didn't put up with it, we spammed quicksave constantly.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 10:44:32 AM

Ditto. At one point in the video the guy sees a troll ahead and it seems like his "team" goes rushing in before he even decides to engage. On one hand I feel like it gives the player freedom to play a glass cannon class, but I have yet to play a game with NPC assistants without moments that I wanted to murder them.

There looked like there was a Charge! button on the controller, the player may have pressed it.  Hard to tell what party commands he was or wasn't giving.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 10:53:34 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 10:56:28 AM

Is this the new wave of multiplayer? Multiplayer with out the other player?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
cironian
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 12:15:46 PM

How is it new? This type of trading assets between players has been around since Pokemon at least.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 01:14:57 PM

I'd probably refer to it more as asynchronous multiplayer.  You have an impact on another person's game through your actions with your follower, jut not an impact at the moment that you're playing.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 06:06:02 PM

I wonder if a gold sub is required for the pawn portion of the game. The answer is no.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:08:11 PM by NiX »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 07:23:24 PM

I killed Lydia, maybe I can kill these "helpers" too.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 06:55:14 AM

How is it new? This type of trading assets between players has been around since Pokemon at least.

Just commenting on a number of games seem to be, instead of adding multi-player, adding in some sort of proxy system.

Just like how recently, 4 is the magic number, and the unknown hero is disappearing in favor of fully fleshed out characters. ( L4D, Dead island, borderlands, ETC... )

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
cironian
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 03:24:09 AM

Ah, I see. I guess then the answer is: Because real live multiplayer is still a giant PITA to build and rarely worth the effort unless it's a core feature of what your game should be. That is, unless you are just building rail cover shooter #4747, which makes things a lot easier.

This type of social interaction system (I wouldn't call it multiplayer really) would be much cheaper in programming effort and can just be tacked on to many existing designs, rather than having to build the whole game around it from the beginning.

So I think the decision is more between pure singleplayer and something like this, rather than between a full multiplayer implementation and this.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 05:25:24 AM

Spore used this approach, but with a better payoff because the loaned out characters were more interesting than these seem to be.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 05:33:21 AM

Ah, I see. I guess then the answer is: Because real live multiplayer is still a giant PITA to build and rarely worth the effort unless it's a core feature of what your game should be. That is, unless you are just building rail cover shooter #4747, which makes things a lot easier.

This type of social interaction system (I wouldn't call it multiplayer really) would be much cheaper in programming effort and can just be tacked on to many existing designs, rather than having to build the whole game around it from the beginning.

So I think the decision is more between pure singleplayer and something like this, rather than between a full multiplayer implementation and this.
Also because Japanese companies don't seem to like keeping servers for online console games up for more than like 9-12 months unless it's something like PSO or Demon's Souls (and that was only because of DS's popularity).

</3 Capcom for closing the Resident Evil Outbreak servers. They should've released the source code or something since the whole point of the game was online play.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 03:58:10 PM

I'll probably be picking this up at launch.  Can't wait for the backlash here though when people realize that Capcom is just as notorious as EA when it comes to their DLC practices.

Edit:  As examples, RE5, MvC3, and Street Fighter X Tekken all had DLC that was on the disc.  Also they just announced the "True Ending" DLC for Asura's Wrath.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:05:47 PM by Velorath »
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 07:21:05 PM

Demo out on PSN and Xbx (gold).  Very short, basically two monster fights.  I played through it twice for each fight because I had no idea what happened the first time.  Fun stuff!  One change I would like is to lower the amount of voiced and written party chatter, or at least shrink the size of the written chat.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 07:39:05 PM

Anyone know which (if any) is the platform of choice for this? I think I pre-ordered it on Xbox, just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 08:47:18 PM

No screen tearing or frame drops on the PS3 at least. There are black bars on the top and bottom of the screen for some reason.

Went into options and there is a way to turn off the written party chat which takes up 33% of the screen.  I also turned off the giant button display and all other HUD elements which clutter the screen to an amazing degree, makes the game look much nicer.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Dragon's Dogma  
Jump to: