Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legend of Korra 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legend of Korra  (Read 25083 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: March 24, 2014, 09:05:29 AM

The premiere episodes of the sequel series to the animated Avatar: The Last Airbender can be legally viewed now at http://www.korranation.com/

I really like the world-building on display here--it's a very nice way to establish a completely new narrative situation while keeping faith with the baseline set-up from the last series. It's a good model for how to move a story ahead and establish some new conflicts and characters. Animation is also very high quality.

Definitely wondering what the eventual reveal of the Big Bad's identity will be. Fun to speculate.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 03:37:04 PM

korranation.com redirects to korranation.tumblr.com, which says that you can watch the episodes at korranation.com.  What sort of sick joke is this?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:19:44 PM

korranation.com redirects to korranation.tumblr.com, which says that you can watch the episodes at korranation.com.  What sort of sick joke is this?
^^^^
What he said.  I wanted to watch the first two episodes and can't.  I is sad.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:23:37 PM

Wow. That's annoying. I don't know when they did that. It was up live when I posted. I don't think they said anything about it being a limited run.

There's always the method that dare not speak its name, of course. Or wait until April 14.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:31:21 PM

I'll probably just wait.  I plan to set the DVR to record episodes anyways, so I'll just plow through shows in chunks, which is kind of how I like to watch.  Just wish the DVR could be set more than 2 weeks out.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:49:41 AM

I watched them on Sunday on this site.  So far I'm feeling very good about the series.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:58:12 AM

There's always the method that dare not speak its name, of course.

They are pretty much begging me to do that, aren't they.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 11:10:45 AM

The first two eps are up on iTunes. I liked them. The progression to 20s-ish aesthetic is pretty cool.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 03:36:52 PM

Just got done watching the first two episodes, and I'm liking it a lot.

I really like the 20's era technology vs. Eastern philosophy/bending direction they look to be heading to.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 08:43:52 PM

So, as someone that made it a few episodes into the first show before Sokka (and Aang to a lesser extent) grated on me badly enough to stop watching, should I even bother with this one?

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 08:58:55 PM

You clearly hate fun, so no.  why so serious?

Seriously though, if you didn't enjoy the first series, you won't enjoy this one.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 09:05:58 PM

Works for me.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 04:02:47 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 06:46:46 PM

You clearly hate fun, so no.  why so serious?

Seriously though, if you didn't enjoy the first series, you won't enjoy this one.
The personalities of the main characters are different though. Aang is a light-hearted kid. Korra is a rebellious headstrong impetuous teenager who has taken her status as avatar for granted. If that sort of character is more appealing to you awesome, for real you might like the new show.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 07:42:21 PM

I am really liking this show so far. In some ways, better than the first series.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 08:55:08 PM

It seems much faster paced, almost rushed at times.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 03:19:55 PM

Well, the overall series is planned to be shorter than the original was - 12 episodes this season and 14 next.

I still need to watch yesterday's episode but yeah, this is a great show.  Another site I'm on has gotten into a debate about whether bending is a genetic trait or a learned one.  Right now the general consensus is leaning more towards genetic.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 05:25:45 PM

I don't think there is any question that it is genetic, but with some kind of spiritual connection.  If it was purely learned then there would be more air benders; the only living examples are direct relatives of Aang.  It's also the only way to explain the cycle of the Avatar always being: earth > fire > air > water because it implies that people are either born benders or not born benders.

The show is awesome.  The sixth episode was phenomenal.  I've got a pretty good idea of who Amon is, but it's a fun mystery, and I'm looking forward to finding out more about Aang and the crew's fate between the two series.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:34:45 PM by Ruvaldt »

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 11:06:16 AM

Yes. The flashbacks in the last two episodes are so tempting--they really suggest that something terrible happened to the Aang Gang when they were adults that split them apart.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 05:08:31 PM

Well, the overall series is planned to be shorter than the original was - 12 episodes this season and 14 next.

I still need to watch yesterday's episode but yeah, this is a great show.  Another site I'm on has gotten into a debate about whether bending is a genetic trait or a learned one.  Right now the general consensus is leaning more towards genetic.

Didn't know it is going to be that short, makes more sense then.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 05:42:48 PM

And I can't watch the episodes from the web anymore because I'm Canadian.

How do I trick the website into thinking I'm not Canadian, surely there's a plugin or something that does that by now?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 06:18:49 PM

Speak the pledge of allegiance clearly into your microphone before attempting to watch.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 07:26:10 PM

They'll clearly hear through my HI-larious Canadian accent.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 07:41:21 PM

You can route your traffic through a free proxy in the US.  Or just torrent the show.

I'm loving the crap out of this, btw.  Definite DVD buy once it's available.  The writers are doing a lot of the things that made the first series great while doing something entirely different with this one.  I think it's great how the heroes are caught between two "bad guys" and it's not obvious which is worse.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:44:11 PM by Samwise »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 08:24:39 PM

I think it's actually one of the best re-imaginings of the rise of fascism in 1920s Europe that I've seen. In many ways, more convincing and interesting and complex as a confrontation with evil than the first series.

I'm about 100% certain who Amon is at this point...

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 08:36:07 PM

Better than the original series, I think.  These last three episodes have been stellar.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 09:25:14 PM

The saddest part is that Amon's going to be done as a villain after this season, so after the one hour season finale this coming week.  No more Steve Blum to listen to.  Cry

No real vote on who Amon could be, though I have a few possibilities in mind. 

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 07:48:34 AM

The momentum of the last few episodes has been great.  I can't wait to see the finale. 
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 12:38:01 PM

beer geek.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 01:43:20 PM

I really really hope it is not that. That would be a friggin cop out as far as I'm concerned. The whole "normal" humans vs "super heroes" is much better than a supernatural excuse.

(despoilering because I don't think there's anything spoilery in that particular comment, or the one I'm about to make)

There's no way Amon is a completely "normal" human, being as he can do that whole "energybending" thing.

What I find most interesting about Amon and the various theories on who he is (we're sort of assuming he's wearing the mask because he's somebody we the audience would recognize -- wouldn't it be funny if that turns out to be a complete red herring?) is that no theory explains both how he can do what he does and what his motivation would be.

Re: energybending, here's what the lion turtle told Aang when he taught him how to do it.  I'm sure this will end up being relevant somehow:

In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves.  To bend another's energy, your own spirit must be unbendable, or you will be corrupted, and destroyed.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:44:58 PM by Samwise »

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 01:52:59 PM

Well, if it were supernatural, this would be a very weird way of going about things. I fully expect that there is another layer to the "conspiracy" (specifically on his identity), I just hope he doesn't end up being the being pitched in the spoiler I replied to. It just rubs me a little too Deus Ex Machina for my tastes.

(I also love the fuck out of this show.)

beer geek.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 05:55:33 PM

"Legend of Korra" creators preview the season finale.

Nothing very spoilery, but a nice little interview, all the same.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 01:24:00 PM

I was surprised that things were wrapped up as much as they were.

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 01:55:19 PM

I was surprised as well, but pleasantly so.  I'm looking forward to where they take the next season. 
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 03:26:07 PM

About the arc - I've heard offhand that the first season was initially it so that's why the storyline is so compact and complete.  Then the second season was given the green-light and hence, separate storylines.  I'm actually kind of fine with that because it gives a sense of stages completed for Korra rather than the overarching storylines that Aang needed.

Best moment of the series?

Overall, I really enjoyed the first season and hope it's not too long before the second season comes out.  I'm re-watching ATLA right now and plan to segue right into LOK when I'm done.

Boo - can't nest spoilers

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legend of Korra  
Jump to: