Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2012  (Read 461376 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

on: March 02, 2012, 03:17:51 PM

Saints apparently had a bounty system and place under Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams and after a lengthy investigation, could face stiff penalties. (Draft Picks, etc.)

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Not-so-Saintly-Behavior.html

And now the Washington Post is reporting that the Redskins had such a bounty program in place under Gregg Williams as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/new-orleans-saints-had-bounty-system-that-paid-for-injuring-opponents-nfl-announces/2012/03/02/gIQAPNDDnR_blog.html?hpid=z2

as "Drudge Reporty" as they are, Pro Football Talk suggests they should rip the Saints franchise tag away for the season...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/league-should-consider-taking-saints-franchise-tag/

Really, with that second report from the Washington Post, I would not be surprised to see Gregg Williams get a significant suspension, if not banned outright.

beer geek.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:25:59 PM

They are going to have to fire him. The NFL is dealing with concussion case backlash and rules changes on a huge safety campaign, only to have it come out that a D coordinator is trying to take people out of the game through bounties.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:29:21 PM

Who? The Saints?  He's not with the Saints anymore anyway.  He's with the Rams now.

Over and out.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:37:05 PM

Yeah, it'll have to be an NFL decision, and given the current climate of injury issues... I would expect to see a possible ban. They're going to be very tough.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/02/saints.bounties/index.html

beer geek.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:02:33 PM

Who? The Saints?  He's not with the Saints anymore anyway.  He's with the Rams now.

No I mean the NFL will have to fire him. I guess that's a ban. But it's really a firing.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 05:36:07 AM

Wow, this is a really unfortunate story. Time to drop the banhammer.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 06:11:07 AM

I'm sure nothing will happen to the head coaches, who undoubtedly sanctioned said activity, nor to the players who participated willingly.

Edited to add:  And I think everyone is deluding themselves if they think that this doesn't go on all the time.  It's a violent sport.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:13:09 PM by ghost »
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:07:29 AM

That reasoning needs to stop. You are not some unique flower that knows just how violent the sport is.

Of course it probably happens; the difference here is someone got caught red-handed at it.

"But EVERYONE'S doing it" stopped working when we were in high school.

The players will get big fines and suspensions, especially Vilma if the $10k hit on Favre can be corroborated. There's no reason to expect they won't get in trouble... they get big fines during the season for big hits. Mix that in with a commissioner who is clear on trying to make the sport safer.

beer geek.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 08:25:48 AM

First and foremost it's a legal problem. That's why the NFL has to react. You can't encourage people to end careers.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 09:37:18 AM

First and foremost it's a legal problem. That's why the NFL has to react. You can't encourage people to end careers.

Would not be surprising to see the IRS look into it as well.

beer geek.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 02:57:59 PM

Colts set to release Manning. Irsay/Manning presser tomorrow.

beer geek.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 03:00:03 PM

Colts set to release Manning. Irsay/Manning presser tomorrow.

Thank god. All the bullshit going on beforehand could fill a swimming pool. Let's just be done with this already Colts.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 03:00:33 PM

It's the smart thing to do.  A $28 million bonus is a tough thing to swallow over a guy that just missed an entire year.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 03:37:28 PM

Fffffuuuuu. It would have been better for us all if the Colts were dumb and signed him. Now we get to hear about him and who's going to pay for his services for weeks beyond what we already have
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 03:45:58 PM

I think the Colts made a mistake.  The bidding war for Manning should be epic.  Time for wild speculation!  Jacksonville?  He could mentor that clipboard holder down there plus he could play the Colts twice a year for the lulz.

Jets?  I'm not sure he'd like Ryan's big mouth and I think the 'Sanchez' still has fans there.

I don't know, too many teams to think about.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 03:47:17 PM

I kinda hope he just retires honestly. I doubt that he will... but what does he have to prove? He's Rich, He's won a superbowl, He'll go down in history of one of the greatest QBs of all time.

Take a break dude.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 03:48:18 PM

Yeah, he should retire, but these idiots never do.  Not even Joe Montana was smart enough to pull that one.  Only Barry Sanders had it figured out, and he played on the shittiest team in the history of football.  These guys think they can keep playing at that elite level for an eternity.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 03:50:24 PM

Like, I 'get it', when you play at THAT level of competition, it's really hard to let go... but still, dudes, you've had a great run, now relax and enjoy something else.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 03:57:30 PM

Yeah, he should retire, but these idiots never do.  Not even Joe Montana was smart enough to pull that one.  Only Barry Sanders had it figured out, and he played on the shittiest team in the history of football.  These guys think they can keep playing at that elite level for an eternity.
Montana showed he could still play, though, leading the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game in the 1993 season. The Chiefs have not won a playoff game since that season ACK!
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 04:04:17 PM

Montana showed he could still play, though, leading the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game in the 1993 season. The Chiefs have not won a playoff game since that season ACK!

Barry would have still been playing a number more years if he could have gotten away from the Lions. He's even admitted he only left because he didn't like playing for Detroit anymore (who could blame him at that time).
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 04:07:15 PM

Manning was due to get $28M on Thursday (3/8/12), if he was not released. The Colts really had no other option and that's exactly why everyone just assumed he would not be a Colt in '12.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:13:04 PM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 04:12:51 PM

I don't know many who assumed he'd be a Colt, I just wanted the Colts to be stupid so the media shit would come to an end faster.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 04:14:08 PM

The media would just be talking about Luck learning from Manning, or what that Colts would get for the #1 pick, or how stupid they were for picking up the option. There will always be Manning.

beer geek.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 05:08:20 PM

Barry was and is still my favorite football player. Broke my heart when he retired knowing what might have been. As for Manning, I dunno how he'll fit any system since he IS the system. The man is too cerebral for most Off. Coordinators.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 10:13:46 PM

I kinda enjoy the speculation as to where he'll end up.  I think he goes to the 49ers.  He'll make Michael Crabtree into a pro bowler, and somehow even manage to get Vernon Davis to pull up his god damned pants already!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 10:39:25 PM

Alex Smith had a good year though. Peyton's an improvement almost anywhere he goes, but it's not like SF is hurting at the QB spot. Quick look at his stats shows he got sacked a ton last year, wouldn't SF be better served trying to improve that kind of thing first?

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 10:41:52 PM

It would be like the Karmic Wheel of Life if Peyton joined the Niners. Peyton replaced Jim at the Colts and now Andrew who was coached by Jim is likely to replace Peyton and finally Peyton joins with Jim at the end of his career.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 10:44:53 PM

While I agree Alex had a good year, he had six or seven bad years before it.  He may turn out to be alright, but there is no compelling reason to be comfortable with Alex Smith as your QB.  

And anyway, any team that goes out an gets Peyton is going to be looking for some short term Super Bowl glory.  SF is in position for such a run.  Mostly, however, I picked San Fran because I am a Seattle fan, and nothing would hurt more.

Also, what Trippy said.  Football Karma is for realz.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 11:03:23 PM

Makes the most sense in Arizona.  Look what we did for Kurt Warner and every one was pretty sure he couldn't play anymore.   Think of what we could do with Manning. awesome, for real

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 11:09:23 PM

Except that their owner (Bidwell?) is such a cheapskate that it is hard to imagine him even making the attempt, especially one year after overspending on Kolb.  He must still be smarting from that one.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 05:40:08 AM

If it weren't for the fact that Shanahan won't give Manning the kind of control of playcalling he wants, the Redskins are the most likely to spend stupid money on a gamble as Daniel Snyder is about the worst at getting a bang for his buck when it comes to free agents.

I think someone at CBS offers him a big chunk of change to be their new booth analyst for their big games and he takes it. Phil Simms needs to be relegated to the minors, he is SO bad compared to Aikman and Collinsworth.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 08:34:06 AM

He ain't retiring. If he was going to, he already would have. No, he's going to play for someone. The speculation of who is fun to discuss.

San Fran is the one team I think he could join that is the closest to a Super Bowl. Even at 75%, he'd put that team over the top. It won't happen, though. Alex Smith showed he has what it takes to win even if he's not going to be the guy you trust completely.

Arizona? Not happening. They don't have the money and they'd have to release Kolb because no way they are paying marquee money for 2 QB's and Kolb isn't going to be a clipboard holder after being named the starter TWICE.

Seattle would be a good fit, though I doubt Carroll is that smart. Also, he'd get creamed. It'd look like Favre's last year in Minnesota.

Miami is actually a pretty good fit - especially if the Colts let Reggie Wayne go. Wayne went to the U of Miami, he and Peyton are in sync and having Wayne on the other side from Marshall would turn that team into a threat.

Washington - Not going to happen. There aren't enough playmakers, they have no real running game and it's the place old QB's go to die. Snyder will try to overpay but it won't be about the money with Manning.

NY Jets - I really don't think this is happening. In essence, they'll be saying Sanchez wasn't the right choice and 2-3 years down the line when Peyton's about to retire, then what? Draft another QB? I also don't think he'd get along with Rex Ryan and the showboating atmosphere there.

Minnesota - We've seen this story before. The Ponder era has begun. Draft some wideouts that don't suck and build around AP and CP.

Baltimore - An intriguing proposition. Flacco has probably reached a wall (like Sanchez) and won't get better without help. Would love to see Manning to Boldin connection, but like Sanchez, if you get him, you're pretty much calling the Flacco era to an end.

Houston - More intriguing than the Baltimore scenario. Someone suggested Manning could go there if they could trade Schaub. Schaub would get a lot of offers, probably as high as a 1st round pick, but are you ready to do that in Houston? Because again, 2-3 years down the line you have to start thinking about succession plans. Is Schaub's injury history scaring you enough to drop him? I think it's a long shot, but it would certainly make Houston a favorite to reach the Super Bowl. And Manning would get to stick it to Irsay.

Kansas City - Ending the Matt Cassel era is probably a good idea. I don't think they have enough weapons to tempt Manning, though.

Denver - Is John Elway willing to trounce on Tebow's feelings to take a chance on an aging injured Hall of Famer? He's likely not going to do it for a 1st round QB but could Manning tempt him? And would it be a good idea? Not a chance in hell. That team does not have enough weapons to be a contender even with Manning, especially not if you are building your offseason plans around the way Tebow plays.

Absolutely Not Happening:
Green Bay
New England
Pittsburgh
Oakland (paid too much for Carson Palmer)
Chicago  awesome, for real
Indy  awesome, for real
Jacksonville (He wants a contender - and they are not that)
Tennessee (Already spent on an aging injured vet QB - the Jake Locker era is about to begin)
Cleveland (Not a contender)
Carolina
Atlanta
Dallas (Though Romo getting replaced for Manning would be  why so serious?)
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
NY Giants  awesome, for real
Philadelphia (Though he'd make that team insanely good, $40 million in Vick dollars ain't going away)
New Orleans
Buffalo (Just paid Fitzpatrick and Manning wouldn't go there anyway)
Cincy
San Diego
Detroit

Now that I examine it, I really think it's Miami or bust for Manning.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 08:53:25 AM

Let's see:

Seattle, Miami, Arizona, and St. Louis led the league in giving up sacks, so those are out in my view. Nobody in their right mind would go there and hope to live after a neck injury.

My guess is Houston. Good line, great weapons, Schaub has been hurt and they can dump his contract without overpaying, playoff team already, AND he can give the big fuck you to the Colts when he plays them.

Besides, Schaub comes up for contract in 2013, and you can trade him for picks. Succession plan in 2013 when you get the next crop of young QBs? Hell yes.

Houston or bust!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 09:06:48 AM

I didn't realize Schaub's contract was up in 2013. That does change the optics a bit, though I still think Houston would rather keep the cheaper Schaub than Manning.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 09:14:27 AM

I didn't realize Schaub's contract was up in 2013. That does change the optics a bit, though I still think Houston would rather keep the cheaper Schaub than Manning.

One or two years of Manning could put them in the Superbowl, however.  Schaub, in my opinion, isn't up to that task with the offense they have.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2012  
Jump to: