Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:47:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2012  (Read 461261 times)
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 09:17:57 AM

How big of a wrinkle does Matt Flynn put into the Manning speculation? I assumed he was going to end up in Miami for scheme familiarity.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 09:32:59 AM

How big of a wrinkle does Matt Flynn put into the Manning speculation? I assumed he was going to end up in Miami for scheme familiarity.

What are you thinking?  I don't follow.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 09:46:01 AM

Some of these teams that were looking at Flynn have to be looking at Manning now, too. Who are they they prioritizing? Will Flynn not be signed until Manning is grabbed? I use Miami as an example because of the Packers' offensive coordinator, wouldn't Philibin be more comfortable with Flynn?

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 09:49:52 AM

I would have to think that would be a no brainer.  I guess that Flynn has some potential.  He has done very well in his backup role, but Manning has won a superbowl.  I don't know how you can be a GM at that level and not worry at least about winning ASAP.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 11:47:35 AM

No chance he goes to the 49ers. I would go so far as to say the odds are very strongly in favor of Alex having a better year than Peyton this year.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 12:19:59 PM

Some of these teams that were looking at Flynn have to be looking at Manning now, too. Who are they they prioritizing? Will Flynn not be signed until Manning is grabbed? I use Miami as an example because of the Packers' offensive coordinator, wouldn't Philibin be more comfortable with Flynn?

First off, Manning WILL be the first free agent QB signed. If he isn't signed within 2 days after he's allowed to be signed, I'll be amazed. Flynn will probably go to whoever loses out on the Manning sweepstakes. Miami would have been my first thought for him before Manning, now it'll depend on Manning. I could see him landing in Cleveland, Washington or Seattle if Manning goes to Miami.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 12:25:42 PM

I don't think Manning will just go to the highest bidder.  It could take longer than you think, because he'll have to balance money with the chance to win.  He doesn't want to play for Cleveland.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 01:21:53 PM

I don't think Manning will just go to the highest bidder.  It could take longer than you think, because he'll have to balance money with the chance to win.  He doesn't want to play for Cleveland.

WHY DO YOU LIKE TO HURT ME?!

why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 01:33:12 PM

He said Flynn could end up in Cleveland if Manning goes to Mia, no way in hell Manning is going to Cleveland. Though who picks up Flynn will also alter depending on who's willing to trade the farm for the #2 pick to pick up Griffin.

I do think SF is more likely than people will believe though for a few reasons. The primary reason would be that it's a super bowl contender already that has a free ride to the playoffs being in the NFC west if they have any sort of consistency (which it seems like they will only be better this coming year). Additional reasons imo:
-a package deal with Wayne could be possible (and a great fit for SF to have a veteran WR leading their WR team, which would double as a mentor to someone like Crabtree). I don't think it will happen but I don't think it's impossible either.
-the NFC West, outside of SF, isn't know for good defense, meaning it would be a great place for him to return to while rebuilding himself.
-He's either playing in nice weather or in domes
-No competition against his brother or other legendary QBs or very good defenses like he would have if he were to sign with Mia, Was, Minn, Sea, Ari, Cle, Cin, Stl, etc. Not going up against good defenses and being in good weather most of the year would be a great fit for him to play while he's rebuilding after the surgeries

More thoughts, though the following is just me blabbering about places some may or may not agree. I'm spoilering just because it really is my incoherent thoughts without money really being a factor in them
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 01:45:34 PM

Jacksonville is a rebuild project no matter who you bring in. No way in hell he's going to the Jags.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 01:54:53 PM

While I agree and admit it's almost guaranteed to not happen, it would be fun as hell if he did go there. They have the tools to beat Indy twice a year, a soft schedule with weak defenses to go against (most likely), favorable weather, a new owner shaking things up, lots of good points for Jac. IMO, it's more likely than some teams like WAS and Minn that some have been guessing he'll talk to.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 06:58:08 AM

Manning wants to pick team in a week

I suspect that it will take longer than this unless he's just totally unconcerned with money, which would surprise me. 
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 07:00:13 AM

I think the numbers he gets from anywhere are going to be pretty similar for a guy that a) wants to win and b) already has lots of money.  Well, that's unless Dan Snyder offers one of his eye blink contracts and just completely overpays.

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 07:39:20 AM

Manning would be a Grade A fool if he picked Washington.  Not only is it a graveyard for QBs, but he would be in a titanic struggle just to make the playoffs.  In fact, I honestly doubt he would make the playoffs.

Same goes for Miami, but the issues there are more just the competition he would have to face.  No playoff guarantees there...I would actually bet against him making the playoffs in year one.

West Coast is where he should be setting his sights.  San Fran would be a guaranteed playoff berth for him.  Seattle...not a guarantee, but still better than other options, and all the more likely because they desperately need a QB.  Oakland could work in theory, except for the sacrifice made for Carson Palmer, and the fact that I cannot imagine in a million years PM actually signing with that franchise.  Denver could work if they can reverse some of the retooling (and I think they could), and it wouldn't shock me to see Elway put Tebow back on the bench.  Hell, he is probably looking for a reason to do just that.  And I also think Denver would give him an almost guaranteed playoff berth in year one.  KC would be a mistake.  SD is off the table.  He'd be an idiot to go to either the Rams or Arizona.

So yeah, the smart thing to do would be San Fran, Seattle or Denver, in my opinion, under the hypothetical assumption that all three of those teams would be interested.  What he will actually end up doing is going to an East Coast team and failing miserably.

Or he will go to Houston.  If they are actually interested (which would actually surprise me a little), Houston might make the most sense for him.  The more I think about it, the better option that is than my three West Coasts teams above.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 07:47:25 AM

I think the Skins have no shot given Shanny has his son as OC and getting Manning means Jr. gets relegated to waterboy status. Not to mention, NFC east... I doubt he'd be up for being beaten by his little brother every year.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 07:54:14 AM

I agree that the west coast is where he should go, but why would Ari be dumb at all? His only competition would be SF, there's an underrated defense, a decent run game, one of the best return men in the game, and Fitzgerald with room for Wayne if they want to bring him over as well. I'd say SF > Den > Ari > Sea > KC > Oak with STL and SD not even being in the picture. A new report came out today as well saying he'd prefer an AFC team over an NFC team.

I do like the article on PFT though regarding his agent and their clients possibly being an underrated factor in all of this. Basically, SF, Den, Buf, Jac, Minn, TB, STL and some others all are represented by the same agency that Manning is. I don't see that being a problem for any but SF or Den though since the rest either have QBs that aren't worth caring about or have in the case of STL would just keep their #2 pick and snag Griffin in the draft.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 07:59:56 AM

Denver could work if they can reverse some of the retooling (and I think they could), and it wouldn't shock me to see Elway put Tebow back on the bench.  Hell, he is probably looking for a reason to do just that.  And I also think Denver would give him an almost guaranteed playoff berth in year one. 

Elway just wants to win, so whomever gives the team the best chance to do that, he'll play. Well, influence that, because it's still Fox's call. Anyway, if the Broncos DO land Manning (and from what people have been saying, it looks like they want him), they'll trade Tebow.

beer geek.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 08:03:17 AM

Manning would be a Grade A fool if he picked Washington.  Not only is it a graveyard for QBs, but he would be in a titanic struggle just to make the playoffs.  In fact, I honestly doubt he would make the playoffs.

That can be said about most of the teams on his "list".
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 08:22:15 AM

Denver could work if they can reverse some of the retooling (and I think they could), and it wouldn't shock me to see Elway put Tebow back on the bench.  Hell, he is probably looking for a reason to do just that.  And I also think Denver would give him an almost guaranteed playoff berth in year one. 

Elway just wants to win, so whomever gives the team the best chance to do that, he'll play. Well, influence that, because it's still Fox's call. Anyway, if the Broncos DO land Manning (and from what people have been saying, it looks like they want him), they'll trade Tebow.

Who would take Tebow in trade? He's not worth what the Broncos would probably want, and he's too big a fan favorite to just toss away for nothing. If they got Manning, they'd probably just keep Tebow unless someone turned their heads.

I just don't see Denver being a logical destination. They really don't have any of the kind of offensive weapons that Manning is going to want to play with. Think about Miami for a second - Brandon "Smack a Bitch" Marshall to throw to, Reggie Bush coming out of the backfield to catch passes and if they can sign Reggie Wayne, all of a sudden they are a bruising back and a slightly better O line from being a contender. They were playing really well at the end of the year with MATT FUCKING MOORE at QB.

I'm sure Dan Snyder WILL offer such obscene amounts of money it will make Goddell plotz. Manning would be fucking retarded to take it, especially since he really doesn't have to. There are so many more teams with better fits that will pay the already-filthy-rich Manning enough money to make it worth his while.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 08, 2012, 08:44:48 AM

Den and Mia have both already reached out (some report said 12 teams already have). I still like Mia, but facing Brady and NYJ twice a year need to be taken into consideration as well which hurts Mia.

Also - what would stop the Broncos from signing Wayne as well? They have just as good of weapons with a weaker division. Decker, Thomas, possibly adding Wayne for main weapons and a decent run game can be tempting.

I'm not sure myself but I just don't think they can be ruled out that easily
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 09:19:12 AM

Who would take Tebow in trade? He's not worth what the Broncos would probably want, and he's too big a fan favorite to just toss away for nothing. If they got Manning, they'd probably just keep Tebow unless someone turned their heads.

I just don't see Denver being a logical destination. They really don't have any of the kind of offensive weapons that Manning is going to want to play with. Think about Miami for a second - Brandon "Smack a Bitch" Marshall to throw to, Reggie Bush coming out of the backfield to catch passes and if they can sign Reggie Wayne, all of a sudden they are a bruising back and a slightly better O line from being a contender. They were playing really well at the end of the year with MATT FUCKING MOORE at QB.

I'm sure Dan Snyder WILL offer such obscene amounts of money it will make Goddell plotz. Manning would be fucking retarded to take it, especially since he really doesn't have to. There are so many more teams with better fits that will pay the already-filthy-rich Manning enough money to make it worth his while.

Daniel Thomas was supposed to be the bruising back to complement Bush, though with the injuries he had in his rookie year the jury is still out on him.  The Fins still have Jake Long, so at least they have a solid left tackle.

As for who would take Tebow, I'd say he'd put asses in seats in Jacksonville.

Over and out.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 06:47:46 PM

As for who would take Tebow, I'd say he'd put asses in seats in Jacksonville.

I am not sure Shahid Khan WANTS to put asses in seats in Jacksonville. Right now, Jacksonville is almost a lock for being the team that gets to move to L.A. in 3 years. If they start filling the stadium every week, that is harder to pull off.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 10:31:39 PM

I agree that the west coast is where he should go, but why would Ari be dumb at all? His only competition would be SF, there's an underrated defense, a decent run game, one of the best return men in the game, and Fitzgerald with room for Wayne if they want to bring him over as well. I'd say SF > Den > Ari > Sea > KC > Oak with STL and SD not even being in the picture. A new report came out today as well saying he'd prefer an AFC team over an NFC team.

My main contention here is that it is more Arizona's ownership that is the problem.  Arizona has had one good year ever,  a couple of mediocre ones and a history of outright stinking.  Any success they have is a factor of good luck and good coaching, not because their ownership has any clue how to make a good football team.  Bidwell would just as likely sacrifice half his roster to find the money for Manning, he's a notorious cheapskate.  Not a place to go to win a Super Bowl, in my opinion.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 05:21:22 AM

I am not sure Shahid Khan WANTS to put asses in seats in Jacksonville. Right now, Jacksonville is almost a lock for being the team that gets to move to L.A. in 3 years. If they start filling the stadium every week, that is harder to pull off.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 07:45:02 AM

My main contention here is that it is more Arizona's ownership that is the problem.  Arizona has had one good year ever,  a couple of mediocre ones and a history of outright stinking.  Any success they have is a factor of good luck and good coaching, not because their ownership has any clue how to make a good football team.  Bidwell would just as likely sacrifice half his roster to find the money for Manning, he's a notorious cheapskate.  Not a place to go to win a Super Bowl, in my opinion.

Even bad owners have won championships. The thing to look at is how are they right now, which is better than some people realize and would instantly be a contender with Manning (even more so with Wayne to pair up with Fitz). They have cap issues for signing Peyton, but I can't see him holding out for the kind of money he was making if his main goal is winning. That, and Bidwell is in Florida currently (where Manning and Wayne are), meaning even as a bad owner he sees that he'd be crazy to not at least make an attempt
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 09, 2012, 10:30:20 AM

Oh god, you got me good there.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #61 on: March 09, 2012, 08:49:25 PM

The Rams Trade the #2 Pick to the Redskins

So the Skins will get Robert Griffin III, and all they had to give up was 3 1st round picks (2012-2014) and their 2nd round pick this year. Holy fucking shit, this kid better be lights out. The article says they'll still be going after Manning but I don't see that being a good idea at all. The cap space he'd eat up they are going to need to sign free agents to upgrade like everywhere on that team. RG3 has got literally nothing to throw to.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #62 on: March 09, 2012, 08:53:36 PM

Guess that means Manning ain't going to the Skins.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #63 on: March 09, 2012, 08:56:33 PM

So the Skins will get Robert Griffin III, and all they had to give up was 3 1st round picks (2012-2014) and their 2nd round pick this year. Holy fucking shit, this kid better be lights out. The article says they'll still be going after Manning but I don't see that being a good idea at all. The cap space he'd eat up they are going to need to sign free agents to upgrade like everywhere on that team. RG3 has got literally nothing to throw to.

Good thing they franchised Fred Davis!   awesome, for real

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #64 on: March 10, 2012, 03:53:38 AM

Having Manning for a year or three wouldn't be a bad thing at all for the Redskins.  It's not like they'll have high level draft picks to pay in the future.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I would think it would be a great investment.  Manning may not be a great teacher (who knows, really), but being around that level of greatness can be a good example to the right person.  By all accounts RGIII is a great kid with a good work ethic, so maybe it will rub off on him.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 10, 2012, 09:58:24 AM

Manning has been pretty clear on the point that he doesn't want to be in the same division as his brother, preferably not the same conference. So that rules out the Skins.

Miami/Denver/KC/Seattle look like the most likely places he'd end up.

edit: Manning met with John Elway and the Broncos yesterday.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:00:35 AM by K9 »

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 10, 2012, 10:20:03 AM

If the coaching staff let's Manning run the offense the way he did in Indy, then Miami would be the best landing spot for him imo.  Especially if they pick up Wayne and Clark for him, who along with Marshall and Bush would make that offense suddenly pretty potent.  Plus Miami had the sixth best scoring defense in the league last year as well (iirc?) so Patriots and Jets or not, Manning/Wayne/Clark would make the Fins a pretty strong contender.

My biggest fear was the Dolphins would pull off some move like the Redskins did for RGIII.  Not that I think Griffin won't be good, but what the Redskins gave up to move up 4 spots is just crazy.

Over and out.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 10, 2012, 10:40:02 AM

My bet is Manning goes to Denver and Miami picks up Flynn.

Elway fucking loathes Tebow, and Peyton is about the only person he could bring in that would not outright offend the colorado Jesus freaks that worship the ground that Tebow walks on. They will still be pissed but not like they would be if he brought in someone with a less squeaky clean image than Peyton.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 10, 2012, 11:03:48 AM

Even losing three good players to drug suspensions for 4/6 games next year?

Over and out.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 10, 2012, 12:01:41 PM

Well, we knew someone was going to take that pick, but honestly I don't see RG3 as being worth that much.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2012  
Jump to: