Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 222108 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

on: February 29, 2012, 01:14:53 PM

For lack of a better place to post this topic, I'm starting a thread for it. Please merge or whatever if there's a better place.

I just installed Windows 8 Customer Preview. I can't begin to explain the level of facepalm I'm feeling here. Its essentially Windows 7 with a stupidly large and moronic tiling that won't navigate well at all with keyboard and mouse.

Issues so far:

A) It hides basic stuff like programs (you can find you 'apps' by going to 'search'), but they're apps now. Way to try to be hip MS, but honestly, you could have stuck to conventional lingo here.

B) Your mouse pointer isn't working like a finger swipe, no matter what I try to do. I have to hover in corners and hope that the right menus appear, then scooch over and hope the menu doesn't flit away.

C) Don't put basic control panel stuff under Apps please. They are not Apps. Task Manager isn't an App. Command prompt isn't an App.

The sad bit is that after all the flash and hoodingbiddlywangboom is over and done, you get dumped to a routine Windows 7 desktop, sans confusion buttons, like, say, the CLOSE APPLICATION button. Had to Alt-F4 out of a bunch of stupid widgets to get back to 'normal'.

This reminds me a bit of those hipster fixed gear bikes. They're trying to look like less is more, while crippling you.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:25:42 PM

Consoleization hits your PC OS, now in Windows 8.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:39:22 PM

They're trying their hardest to make a universal OS for the future that will work across many platforms; from the desktops to laptops and tablets to phones, much like how Android/Chromium via Google is trying to do, and also can be found with Apple, as they're slowing but surely converting the Mac OS to iOS.

This really shouldn't come as a shock, IMO.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:42:24 PM

The hardware just isn't there yet. No one has touchscreen computers yet, and won't for years. Never mind that we all still have to type. And lets not mention that every 'app' out there still requires the precision of a mouse; your fat fingers aren't going to navigate excel columns well, never mind stuff like Autocad.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:47:33 PM

The hardware just isn't there yet. No one has touchscreen computers yet, and won't for years. Never mind that we all still have to type. And lets not mention that every 'app' out there still requires the precision of a mouse; your fat fingers aren't going to navigate excel columns well, never mind stuff like Autocad.

This is rather debatable these days.  While most of the people here and gamers at large would never touch one of the newer all-in-one PCs with touchscreen, the average joe-consumer has been buying them up left and right over the last couple years as their popularity as grown.  Individual tower sales have fallen, and the market for tablets, smartphones and slim-to-touchscreen laptops has replaced it.

It's only a matter of time.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:51:43 PM

While I agree that home use of touch interface has grown and is likely to overshadow desktops, I'm thinking of office and institutional use. I know for a fact that my school's not insubstantial civil engineering department hasn't adopted a single touch interface device. Well, we have one tablet laptop that all professors claim to want to use, yet remains largely untouched because it has a learning curve of approximately 15 minutes. And that's with a tablet pen.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:52:42 PM

Engles points out what I was mocking, Luckton.  You can have my AutoCAD when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers and it will NOT work with a touchscreen interface.  It requires too much precision and wankery to do with fingers/ lightpen what is much more easily done with the mouse.

Though I'd really prefer to be doing stuff in Revit.. which, coincidentally, would work better with a pen & tablet interface.   Revit (Or any 3d Parametric) being the default drafting & design program is at least another 10 years off, however.  (And, I note, Zealots have been saying they're the inevitable future - just around the bend - for ~25 years now.)

Such requirements aren't about casual users of fad consumer devices.  It's about the business needs of every construction, manufacturing and design professional on an international level.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:53:18 PM

Windows 8: the return of Vista.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 01:54:24 PM

Consoleization hits your PC OS, now in Windows 8.
It's the Metro UI from Windows Phone 7. The Xbox 360 has it now too* but that's after it came out for phones. So it's "phonelizaton" not "consolelization".

* kind of, it's a weird hybrid at the moment of old and new UIs
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 01:56:23 PM

I wasn't ready to coin a new term so I went with one we'd all become familiar with.  Yours is more correct, I'm aware.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 02:00:54 PM

It seems the strategy of skipping every other Windows version will remain true.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 02:01:12 PM

I liked the microsoft approach to having standard file/edit menus across their applications in the old days.  Now when people ask me to fix their pc's I spend longer looking for the menu or tool than I do fixing the problem, it's really annoying.  If there's no file or edit menu then I hate whoever is responsible, sorry but there it is.

This isn't purely down to me being an old git, there most be hundreds of thousands of people who's first impression of a new OS is, I want to fucking kill someone.  I liked the old file search, now there's a stupid simple search that you need to build a query into, add/remove programs is now programs and features, I detest that someone decided I should know that.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:02:51 PM by Arthur_Parker »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 02:30:35 PM

It seems the strategy of skipping every other Windows version will remain true.

Yeah, Windows 7 seems to be a pretty damn good, stable OS (as Windows goes). What little I've seen of 8 tells me they are really jealous of Android.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 02:37:57 PM

0.0 DPS

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 02:56:34 PM

Being primarily a gamer on the PC, I get the impression that Win 7 will keep meeting my needs, don't think I'm going to upgrade this time.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 03:01:07 PM

Damn, and my usual PC upgrade path is going to have me getting a new PC in about two years so that I get to switch from awful Vista to awful Windows 8.  Do you think I should just buy a copy of Windows 7 to install when the time comes?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 03:05:31 PM

Honestly, I'd reserve judgement till they are closer to release. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to create a 'disable stupid ass tile gui' function for many a user, at which point you'll be left with Windows 7 anyway.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 03:13:06 PM

Calling programs 'apps' happened a while ago in OSX land. I had to buy 10.7 in the app store, so even the OS is an app.

While I'll be sticking to 7 at home, 8 does have some interesting possibilities as a kiosk machine at the library.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 03:47:44 PM

For a touch interface Windows 8 seems fine.  For a actual keyboard / mouse setup it is just painful to use .  It just feels unfinished with certain aps opening under the desktop while others are pretty stripped down.  Unless I buy a tablet or something touch based I will probably not upgrade and if I buy a new pc I will probably downgrade to 7.

I think the decision not to support all the windows administration tools under the windows 8 ARM version was a even worse choice though.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2012/02/windows-8-for-arm-will-lack-enterprise-management-features.ars
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 03:50:43 PM

The true bullshit move from Microsoft will be when they require Windows 8 in order for DirectX 12 to work  why so serious?

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 04:06:19 PM

Since I've seen comparatively few games even using DX10, never mind DX11 (hell, NVidia cards don't even support DX11 yet, and they're still the bulk of the market), I won't worry about DX12 for another...6 years?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 04:40:32 PM

(hell, NVidia cards don't even support DX11 yet, and they're still the bulk of the market)
Head scratch
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 04:44:57 PM

(hell, NVidia cards don't even support DX11 yet, and they're still the bulk of the market)
Head scratch
Okay, I take it back, their very bleeding edge cards now support DX11.  I was confused because the merely bruised edge card (GTX260) I just bought for the wife only supports 10, while the bargain-basement passive-cooling ATI card (5450) I bought for my daughter supports DX11.

--Signature Unclear
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 04:55:11 PM

I think your definition of bleeding edge differs from mine.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 05:15:00 PM

Isn't the GTX260 nearly 4 years old?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 06:06:12 PM

I loaded the demo on my work computer and... yeah.  The UI is failing to impress me for a non-tablet device.  For tablets?  Sure, great.  Looks swell.  But Windows 7 is smooth as glass with a keyboard and mouse, while 8 simply is not.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 06:53:07 PM

The more I hear about this the sadder I am for the day when XP is no longer supported and I'm left having to choose some other shitty OS from MS...
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 07:08:22 PM

The more I hear about this the sadder I am for the day when XP is no longer supported and I'm left having to choose some other shitty OS from MS...

..... or you could just go to 7 and see that MS actually did create a better than XP operating system.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 07:11:14 PM

The only thing missing from 7 that was easy to accomplish without buying extra software is SteadyState functionality. And that is not needed unless you are like Sky or myself and have to keep dozens of public access stations free of cooties.

The rest of the OS is so much better on every level. I actually loathe having to work on XP now.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 07:17:40 PM

..... or you could just go to 7 and see that MS actually did create a better than XP operating system.
Sure they did!  Windows 2000 was great! ;-)

7 wasn't out when I built my latest computer back in 2008 (it came with Vista and I forced XP onto it).  Since it's doing so well playing all my games, I have had little incentive to update it.  I'm just not into trying out all sorts of OSes and hacking around on computers anymore in my spare time.  I like coming home and having my computer ready to do what I want.  Looks like I'll have to obtain a copy of 7 before it goes away...
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 07:58:59 PM

I run Win7 64, stripped down to look and feel like XP.  It's nearly perfect and I have no reason to change until MS decides to stop supporting it. 

As others say, that will be a sad, sad day.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 08:00:44 PM

Where is the window 7 hate? It's a good OS. People were saying that pretty clearly before it launched and they ran a $50 promo. Those two in combination were the death knell of XP. Along with 7 not sucking, of course.

As far as bleeding edge, a solidly middle/low range card from two years ago (my first gtx460) is not.

Chimpy, darn you for mentioning that. Straight to heck. Looking at a combo of Deep Freeze and WinSelect, but that's $70 to poorly replicate something we get free. If I had a windows server, I guess I could set up some GPOs, but with a lot on my plate, welp, there it is.

edit -  Wait, I do have a regret about moving to windows 7. I didn't think I'd need more than the home version, so now I'm thwarted in my low-hanging fruit remote session plans.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 10:51:08 PM

Isn't the GTX260 nearly 4 years old?
Two and a half.  I didn't say it was "bleeding edge", it has about half the performance of the 590, which is the latest.  I don't buy cards less than a year old, let someone else spend twice as much for 20% more performance.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 01:01:00 AM

That's like saying that a Toyota Camry has half the performance of that new Ferrari. 

Okay, maybe that's going too far.  But a GTX260 was only middle-of-the-pack 4 years ago.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 03:39:56 AM

The rule of every-other Windows release holds true.

Win 95; pass - we still had Windows 3.1/MS-DOS and that's what all the games played in anyways.

Win 98; do it - Windows support for games was becoming more native, DirectX was hot, and the genre as a whole was stepping up.

Win Mil; pass - Hai u guys!  Let's try and make Windows 98 look and feel like Windows 2000!   swamp poop

Win XP; do it - Other way around, derps.  Make Windows 2000 look and feel like Windows 98, with the flexibility and support to boot.

Win Vista; pass - The reset button on the aging windows kernel was needed, but even still, either it wasn't in the oven long enough or they forgot to turn the oven on in the first place.

Win 7; do it - Oh hey, someone figured out how to turn on the oven  why so serious?

For Windows 8, the trend will probably hold true.  Will probably be awesome on those touchscreen all-in-ones, tablets, and phones.  Everyone else?  Not so much, me thinks.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8  
Jump to: