Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:30:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 223558 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:13 AM

Chimpy, darn you for mentioning that. Straight to heck. Looking at a combo of Deep Freeze and WinSelect, but that's $70 to poorly replicate something we get free. If I had a windows server, I guess I could set up some GPOs, but with a lot on my plate, welp, there it is.

We are testing out Clean Slate right now. Deep Freeze costs 40 bucks a year per machine and while we have a considerably larger budget than you guys, we don't have 5k extra a year floating around. Another product called PC vaccine looked promising when I was doing research.

We use GPOs extensively but even using those and roaming profiles, you still don't get the protection from malicious things like having the disk restored to the previous state on reboot/logout. Microsofts answer to that is a laughable "you can restore from an image nightly!"

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 05:58:33 AM

Windows 7 is fine and I've used it since beta, but the only compelling reason I ever saw to upgrade was x64 support. I've never seen any advantage to it over XP. So far, everything I've heard about Windows 8 is a trainwreck. The compelling reason to have a desktop PC or laptop is that it's not a tablet or phone.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 07:17:41 AM

We are testing out Clean Slate right now. Deep Freeze costs 40 bucks a year per machine and while we have a considerably larger budget than you guys, we don't have 5k extra a year floating around. Another product called PC vaccine looked promising when I was doing research.

We use GPOs extensively but even using those and roaming profiles, you still don't get the protection from malicious things like having the disk restored to the previous state on reboot/logout. Microsofts answer to that is a laughable "you can restore from an image nightly!"
Our system level folks were using Clean Slate for a while, not sure why they switched. We were using the Gates stuff (all our PCs were Gates granted at the time) and I just followed that path through SteadyState. With the Macs, we went with MacShield, same folks who did the Gates PCs. Recently, they lagged way behind and didn't even have a 10.6-compat version, so that's why we're with Faronics now, when I went looking for a 10.6-compat, they already had a 10.7-compat. Just makes sense to stick with one company imo.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 08:17:53 AM

Well, if you follow the rule that every other Windows OS is a trainwreck, they're certainly due for one with Windows 8. Ohhhhh, I see.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 08:43:20 AM

It sounds like they are doing some strange Metro overlay with a legacy desktop underneath. Reminds me too much of early Windows running on top of MS-DOS.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 09:45:11 AM

It sounds like they are doing some strange Metro overlay with a legacy desktop underneath. Reminds me too much of early Windows running on top of MS-DOS.

And yet that's basically what it is.  It's MS's way of trying to bridge people over to the new UI, which will probably be in full effect come Windows 9.

Going back to my earlier post, the kind folks Reddit appeared to have made a picture out of my earlier timeline

awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 09:52:05 AM

God, ME was just such crack of the devil's ass bad. I still marvel that that OS made it to retail.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 10:03:09 AM

I don't really remember 95 being shit, unpolished but not shit. Part of it might be that it was my first computer, rose tinted glasses and all that.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:45 AM

I actually already install my stuff into a folder called "apps", partially because it's easy to write and spaces in folder names make me uneasy, and partially so I know that anything that shows up in "Program Files" is something I didn't ask for. I'm ahead of my time!

I liked the microsoft approach to having standard file/edit menus across their applications in the old days.  Now when people ask me to fix their pc's I spend longer looking for the menu or tool than I do fixing the problem, it's really annoying.  If there's no file or edit menu then I hate whoever is responsible, sorry but there it is.

This isn't purely down to me being an old git, there most be hundreds of thousands of people who's first impression of a new OS is, I want to fucking kill someone.  I liked the old file search, now there's a stupid simple search that you need to build a query into, add/remove programs is now programs and features, I detest that someone decided I should know that.
Love Letters
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 11:18:03 AM

Except 95 wasn't shit, and that list completely skips 2000, which was solid, and superior to XP until after SP1.  XP at release was not good.  Not shit, but not worth upgrading from 2000 for.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 11:21:47 AM

Except 95 wasn't shit, and that list completely skips 2000, which was solid, and superior to XP until after SP1.  XP at release was not good.  Not shit, but not worth upgrading from 2000 for.

2000, while awesome, was never considered an 'end-user/joe consumer' OS.  That gaming companies decided to throw in support for 2k was a blessing from the game devs, not a MS mandate.  I agree with what you're saying, but 2k isn't on the list because we weren't really supposed to have it  why so serious?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 11:22:54 AM

95 was alright, Vista is ok, slow to startup but with all the annoying shit turned off it's not much different to xp (but can support a lot more RAM).  I like 2000, 2003 & 2008 server editions too.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 11:33:47 AM

Vista is cancer.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 11:36:02 AM

Well I paid for it, so I'm getting my money's worth, besides I'd have to shift about 10 vm's to a new OS and I can't be arsed just because it's slow to start.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 11:37:24 AM

I never had the problems with Vista that everyone else seems to have had, even at the office.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 11:58:11 AM

Going to have to violently disagree here.  95 ran like dog shit, was horribly unstable, and overall poorly designed.  98 leaps and bounds more stable and workable.  Windows 2000 pro was indeed good (but as mentioned, wasn't actually meant for the normal end user, though I ran it for years), but it was still blown away in every single way by XP, which was rock solid. 

Also had problems with, and hated vista.  Windows 7 is magnificent though, and crushes XP.  Seriously, the stability of 7 is amazing.  A fraction of the crashes and software/hardware issues I had running XP.

I've been noting the apparent "every other windows release is dogshit" trend for years now, and it doesn't seem to be abating.  I'm sure Windows 9 will be very nice.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 12:00:58 PM

Vista really wasn't that bad.  When it came out the hardware manufacturers had been a pile of lazy assholes and didn't have drivers ready, despite having at least a year's heads-up about the new driver architecture.  Then peoples' shiny new Vista machines couldn't work with anything and they blamed the OS instead of the people whose job it was to make drivers for it.  For most intents and purposes 7 is Vista, just with a better UI.  Nothing major under the hood changed.  I've set up some new Vista installations recently and everything went perfectly smoothly now that drivers are easily available.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 12:10:19 PM

Windows 2000 was build off Win NT wasn't it?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 12:11:39 PM

Going to have to violently disagree here.  95 ran like dog shit, was horribly unstable, and overall poorly designed. 

I think Windows 95 was the "can we even do this" version. It was the first use of Windows as an operating system as opposed to a cooperative multitasking  command interpreter replacement. So no wonder it was crap.

I also have to say I have never had any problems with Vista, but I did wait until after SP1 to get it and my hardware is so far from the bleeding edge that the blood has completely dried up and scabbed over by the time it gets to me.

Witty banter not included.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 01, 2012, 12:12:20 PM

I really think they should have delayed a year or two and figured out a way to get existing windows apps working in Metro. Regardless if you like metro or not, you are forced to use it for your start menu and having to go back and forth is fucking jarring and makes everything seem disjointed.   There's just no cohesion in the whole user experience.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:08 PM

PRESS S FOR THIRD PARTY STORAGE DRIVERS

Fucking NT.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 01, 2012, 12:20:44 PM

Going to have to violently disagree here.  95 ran like dog shit, was horribly unstable, and overall poorly designed. 

Compared to win 3.1, win 95 was an improvement.  You can't say that about ME and Vista.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 12:22:29 PM

Windows 2000 was build off Win NT wasn't it?

Yes, and XP was built off that.

I really think they should have delayed a year or two and figured out a way to get existing windows apps working in Metro. Regardless if you like metro or not, you are forced to use it for your start menu and having to go back and forth is fucking jarring and makes everything seem disjointed.   There's just no cohesion in the whole user experience.

If they don't put out something, all those corporates that bought the volume license with the adage that they'll get the next version at a discount if they paid a little extra now would be null and void, meaning there would be little to no incentive for those corporates to do the same thing again.  Besides, they gotta keep up the Jones now that it's not just Apple on the radar.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 12:23:08 PM

I skipped 3.1 and stayed on DOS through that period. I think I may have booted into 3.1 to play Civ 1 Win.

98 was decent, but 98SE was the thing until XP SP1. Prior to Windows 7, you were nuts to adopt a version of Windows before the 1st service pack, no matter how good it ended up being.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #59 on: March 01, 2012, 12:24:30 PM

I actually ran Win 2000 RC2 at home for about six months without any major blow-ups back in the day. I was a rebel.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 01, 2012, 12:46:25 PM

I never had the problems with Vista that everyone else seems to have had, even at the office.

Ran Vista at home for a couple years and never had an issue related to the OS, so you're not alone.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:58:28 PM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 01, 2012, 12:53:49 PM

98 was decent, but 98SE was the thing until XP SP1. Prior to Windows 7, you were nuts to adopt a version of Windows before the 1st service pack, no matter how good it ended up being.
3.1 - 95 - 98 - 98SE keeps the chain then. Grin

2k was a great OS, but then I came from NT which was a solid OS, but not so great for gaming.  XP I never adopted until SP2 or 3.  Win7 I didn't pick up until after SP1 either, but that was because XP was just awesome that late and I had no reason to switch.

Considering ME was some bastard child of 98 and 2k, and should be striken from the history books, I'll stick to liking 2k.  It may not have been meant for home use, but it was superior to anything prior to service packed XP.

Vista.  Gods.  Maybe people who knew how to use computers were fine with it, but give it to end users trying to run it on hardware that was iffy running XP and it was a nightmare.  I never met a Vista system I didn't want to throw out the window within ten two minutes.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #62 on: March 01, 2012, 12:58:58 PM

ME and Vista are the really shitstains.  I have a suspicion that 8 is going to be the worst of the lot. 
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 01, 2012, 01:40:06 PM

Vista.  Gods.  Maybe people who knew how to use computers were fine with it, but give it to end users trying to run it on hardware that was iffy running XP and it was a nightmare.  I never met a Vista system I didn't want to throw out the window within ten two minutes.

Bolded for emphasis.  That was the other problem for Vista's release.  It and 7 both more or less require a multi-core processor and two gigs of ram, minimum.  Microsoft was retarded and put out claims that it only needed one gig.  That was a lie.  It can function on one gig, sure, but not worth a damn.  And then you had people trying to run it on even worse.  At the time Vista hit the shelves, you needed a relatively badass computer to handle it; anything mediocre and it would punish you.  Now even the low-end computers are powerful enough to run it easily.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 01, 2012, 01:48:27 PM

I think their guidelines were with 1 GB you had to turn off Aero, and with that off those machines did tend to run it fine in my experience.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #65 on: March 01, 2012, 02:16:28 PM

The difference between my laptop with 2 gig and my daughter's with 1 gig on Vista were literally night and day, in terms of performance (they otherwise had identical CPU's and graphics).  The problem with Vista was that 2+ gig was not standard when it came out, and they pushed hard with their licensing to make the vendors put Vista onto systems that really couldn't handle it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #66 on: March 01, 2012, 02:48:14 PM

Well the slow thing does annoy me and I haven't wiped this in over 2 years.  So I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 7, one of my work laptops has it but I can't play about with that one.

Looking at prices it seems around £130 for 64 bit ultimate, which I'm finding difficult to justify to myself.

Found this site which apparently makes me eligible(being a parent) for Ultimate 64-bit Edition Upgrade (which I presume I'd be able to do a clean wipe install on) for £60, only the deal ends at the end of March and it seems way too good to be true.  But they've been linked to by MS, so now I'm confused.  Anyone know anything about this?

edit, spelling.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:08:01 PM by Arthur_Parker »
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 01, 2012, 02:54:22 PM

Cool thing about being employed by the Buy More a couple years ago was the learning curriculum they offered employees, both through Buy More and the vendors.  MS's training site ran a deal where if you did and passed through their brainwashing training modules and passed, they'd send you a copy of 7 Ultimate for free + shipping/handling  awesome, for real

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #68 on: March 01, 2012, 03:12:36 PM

Mildly back on topic, Ars has an article on how to use Win 8 with a mouse.

A few fab highlights:

The top right 'hot corner' brings up the 'charms'. The top left 'hot corner' brings up the application switcher.

To close an application, put the cursor at the top of the screen, at which point it may turn into a hand. It may not, depending on your definition of 'top'. Then drag the whole thing to the bottom of the screen to close it. If you drag it to the side, it 'snaps' it. Not sure what snapping is yet.

Windows + V = Toast Cycling. Ya, not sure either.

Finally, my favorite quote:

"Remembering that the charms exist is central to the Windows 8 experience."

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 01, 2012, 03:21:36 PM

Mouse handling of the UI is very likely going to change for the RC. WDP was a little easier to use, due to consolidation of the important things into the hot-zoned start button. None of that four corner shit. In this regard, it's a regression. But since everyone's going up the rails about the new ways, I'm sure they'll be changed.

Anyway, a lot of people are bitching because mostly their habits have been broken.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8  
Jump to: