Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:29:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 223586 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 01, 2012, 06:09:08 PM

On the bright side it seems like performance of Windows 8 is freaking amazing.  I was watching my coworker run through a bunch of stuff with it in Parallels without any visible slowdowns.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 01, 2012, 07:03:32 PM

Looking at prices it seems around £130 for 64 bit ultimate, which I'm finding difficult to justify to myself.

Ultimate isn't worth it, w7 pro is barely worth it.  Pretty much the only things I can think of possibly needing to upgrade from w7 home edition to pro are if you need to remote desktop into the machine and/or you want to run Microsoft's crappy virtual server.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #72 on: March 01, 2012, 11:17:41 PM

Or if you want to join a domain (which I don't really know why you would on a personal machine.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #73 on: March 01, 2012, 11:51:30 PM

Thanks for the info.

Edit to add, convinced, I don't see anything in ultimate that I need, so ordered pro for £40.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:01:58 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 02, 2012, 03:50:53 AM

Home Premium is limited to 16GB of RAM and 1 processor socket (no core limit), and does not have built in drive encryption or XP mode.

But none of those things are an issue for 99% of home use.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 02, 2012, 12:10:30 PM

Thanks for the info.

Edit to add, convinced, I don't see anything in ultimate that I need, so ordered pro for £40.

Where the hell from ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 02, 2012, 12:31:32 PM

At least with Windows 8, you'll only have nine trim levels to choose from. Nine, fuckers.

■Windows 8 Enterprise Edition
■Windows 8 Enterprise Eval edition
■Windows 8 Home Basic Edition
■Windows 8 Home Premium edition
■Windows 8 ARM edition
■Windows 8 Professional edition
■Windows 8 Professional Plus edition
■Windows 8 Starter edition
■Windows 8 Ultimate edition

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: March 02, 2012, 01:32:03 PM

to be fair most of those exist in 7.  the only versions added look to be the enterprise ones.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 02, 2012, 03:31:39 PM

to be fair most of those exist in 7.  the only versions added look to be the enterprise ones.

There are 5 SKUs for Win7 in the NA/EU market:

Starter
Home Premium
Ultimate
Professional
Enterprise

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #79 on: March 02, 2012, 03:58:40 PM

The Professional Plus looks to be yet another way to nickel and dime the idiots that didn't switch their server architecture to Linux already.  In essence, if you need to do certain things at an OS level (that an ordinary user would never need to do), you'll have to pay MS an extra premium to unlock them for you.  But just for fun, you may not find out that you can't do them until you try to migrate stuff currently running perfectly well on XP or 7 Pro into Windows 8 (after your suits signed a blanket license that requires the migration because it looked cheap).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: March 02, 2012, 06:28:35 PM

The Professional Plus looks to be yet another way to nickel and dime the idiots that didn't switch their server architecture to Linux already. 

Uhh I'd expect the difference to be more features such as storage spaces
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: March 02, 2012, 07:54:07 PM

According to this article from 3 days ago Windows 8 seems to have 6 SKUs:

Microsoft Windows 8 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64 Edition
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #82 on: March 02, 2012, 07:56:44 PM

That's just what HP might be selling.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 02, 2012, 07:58:16 PM

The Professional Plus looks to be yet another way to nickel and dime the idiots that didn't switch their server architecture to Linux already.  In essence, if you need to do certain things at an OS level (that an ordinary user would never need to do), you'll have to pay MS an extra premium to unlock them for you.  But just for fun, you may not find out that you can't do them until you try to migrate stuff currently running perfectly well on XP or 7 Pro into Windows 8 (after your suits signed a blanket license that requires the migration because it looked cheap).

--Dave

If you are running your servers on workstation OSes you have problems a lot deeper than "you didn't switch to Linux."

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: March 02, 2012, 07:58:34 PM

Cause best buy and all other retail are going to sell so many more editions than HP?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #85 on: March 02, 2012, 08:00:00 PM

Mahrin, can you try to be a little less vague? Or are you just speculating at this stage? What features are being 'switched off' in 8 that aren't in 7? Are you talking about dual booting or something else?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #86 on: March 02, 2012, 08:01:01 PM

Cause best buy and all other retail are going to sell so many more editions than HP?
Facepalm
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #87 on: March 02, 2012, 10:35:03 PM

Thanks for the info.

Where the hell from ?

These people http://www.software4students.co.uk/default.aspx
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 03, 2012, 08:08:17 AM

According to this article from 3 days ago Windows 8 seems to have 6 SKUs:

Microsoft Windows 8 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64 Edition
They're just 3 SKUs. For some reason, Microsoft seems to want to save 20 cents per box by not supplying both 32bit and 64bit media. A key for a specific SKU works with both bitnesses. Actually, my Windows 7 "Commemorative Edition" (beta gift  why so serious? ) has two discs, for 32bit and 64bit.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #89 on: March 03, 2012, 09:23:33 AM

I'm surprised to see a 32 bit version.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: March 03, 2012, 10:41:34 AM

I'm surprised to see a 32 bit version.

Same, I'm surprised theres not a "legacy"(like fundamentals) SKU to eliminate it from the major codebase. Win7 had to delay due to most of the Atom based netbooks were 32bit only and they even built the Starter SKU for them, but today even the EOL Diamondville Atoms are all 64bit.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:43:17 AM by fuser »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #91 on: March 03, 2012, 11:00:21 AM

I just watched a video of Win8 in action.  This is utter crap.  I can't imagine my office trying to upgrade from Win7 into this travesty.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: March 04, 2012, 02:14:51 AM

I remember when 2000 came out and M$ were claiming that it was build for both the home and buisness envroment. The problem was it was fuck awful. Seriously, it was crashing every 2 hours. One of the reasons they released Millenium was to distract people away from the horror that was 2000 before the first service pack, and bury the cleaims that it was supposed to be a united OS under 7 feet of concrete.

XP was also horrific before they fixed it, which took them over a year. In the job I had at the time I had to Service users that were buying XP computers and we had to put it into our service code that we would not support Win XP. I remember once spending 3 days just trying to get 2 win XP computers to even see one another on simple hub network, let alone talk to our win 2000 architecture.

I still have XP SP3 on my gaming machine and dont see much reason to upgrade, but the Win 7 on my laptop is nice enough.

Win 8 is the future!

Hic sunt dracones.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #93 on: March 04, 2012, 11:06:03 AM

I thought you need Win 7 to do DX11 no?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: March 04, 2012, 11:17:32 AM

Yes you do. I;ll think about it if and when i get a new graphics card.

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #95 on: March 04, 2012, 01:13:46 PM

You can use DX11 in Vista as well.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: March 06, 2012, 09:44:32 AM

I finally got around to installing this. What a compete and utter disaster the interface is.

My favorite bit has to be how there's no way to restart it. Because you never need to restart windows or anything.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #97 on: March 06, 2012, 09:55:09 AM

I remember a guy telling us with a straight face all about our new windows 2000 servers and how we'd never, ever, have to reboot them.   why so serious?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #98 on: March 06, 2012, 09:57:26 AM

Oh my.  This is going to be a trainwreck.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 06, 2012, 11:44:51 AM

Win 8 has a shiny new version of Hyper V. And you can't use it to manage the 2008 version of Hyper V.  ACK! So of all the applications I needed for work, the one that didn't work and made it impossible to keep testing it on my desktop was a Microsoft one.

In terms of the interface, it's just constantly in your face and the switch between the desktop and the big black screen of squares is really jarring.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #100 on: March 06, 2012, 11:47:38 AM

In terms of the interface, it's just constantly in your face and the switch between the desktop and the big black screen of squares is really jarring.

They are forgetting who their customers are.  Apple has already won the casual computer user.  They've already won the smartphone war (at least versus Microsoft).  Microsoft should be catering to businesses and that start screen does not accomplish this goal.  This could be as big of a fuckup as Kodak dismissing the digital camera.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: March 06, 2012, 11:48:24 AM

I remember a guy telling us with a straight face all about our new windows 2000 servers and how we'd never, ever, have to reboot them.   why so serious?

I had one go for like 4 years just to see if it could - and it could! (It wasn't anything important, otherwise I'd have been applying updates of course.)

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 06, 2012, 12:11:07 PM

They are forgetting who their customers are.  Apple has already won the casual computer user.  They've already won the smartphone war (at least versus Microsoft).  Microsoft should be catering to businesses and that start screen does not accomplish this goal.  This could be as big of a fuckup as Kodak dismissing the digital camera.

I think that's a very good observation. The PC took and merged two markets: people who needed to do work and people who wanted to consume entertainment. And I'd say the market is currently dividing that again. I've had a chance to monkey with an iPad and it's useless for any sort of creative task, it's really just an internet "cable box" purely about consuming pre-created media. The PC is something you use to create stuff and MS seems to be determined to force a "consumer" interface onto a "creative" device.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #103 on: March 06, 2012, 12:38:17 PM

Someone (maybe here, I dunno) said that MS has done a fucktonne of GOOD things with win8, internally, but for some reason they seem wholly determined to force the metro (or whatever they call their dumbass new UI) on us.

If they allow us to keep the 7 interface as a "classic" interface, then 8 may very well be worthwhile. If not, it'll be one to skip for most people I'm guessing.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: March 06, 2012, 01:44:43 PM

Here's the fundamental problem.

Putting lots of boxes of info on your screen is flatly dumb.  

The theory:

The reality:

I don't look at my screen to see the weather, my playlist, an animated equalizer, a running RSS feed, CPU stats, and instant messengers.  I look at my screen to see whatever it is I'm working on.  Which I've maximized to fill the screen.  So I can see it.  And not be distracted by dozens of crap widgets all blinking at me.  If I had a secondary monitor plugged in, hey, sure, it'd be great to have the second screen all Tronned out with neon crap moving around and displaying pointless information to me, but otherwise my first act upon being confronted with an interface full of widgets is to cover them with windows.  The Metro UI is no different.  I don't give a damn about little orange squares listing how many photographs or emails I have.  It's useless information to me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8  
Jump to: