Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:12:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Update 6 - Shores of the Great River 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update 6 - Shores of the Great River  (Read 36003 times)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

on: February 29, 2012, 12:50:57 PM

An overview of the seven new regions, with screenshots and videos.

http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/1803

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:50:18 PM

I started poking around in lotro again after the Rohan announcement and can say with only a small amount of shame that I got the 30 dollar 3 month subscription shortly after.  It is great fun to wander Middle Earth again.  My highest character was only in the 30s, and is not 45.   Looking forward to Moria.  Hopefully I'll get to the end of the content currently available by the fall when Rohan comes out so I can actually do it.   Of course, that assumes that an MMO like this will hold my attention that long.  This one has the advantage of an IP I'm in love with, which helps.  Given my play time is lower than MMOs I have played in the past, there is plenty to keep my busy for a while - we will see where it goes though.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:27:50 AM

Good lord. Thats a great bit of stuff. What does the current map look like now?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 07:34:09 AM

Sapience posted a map of the new zone. It looks pretty linear, which I should have expected given the zone concept.

- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:47 AM

Where does that fit in the over world map though? Was my question.

Edit: NVM.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:17:37 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 01:28:07 PM

Developer Diary by casual player darling Budgeford.

The first batch of Update 6 patch notes from Bullroarer. Points of interest, as extracted by Casual Stroll to Mordor:

* Virtues have been extended to Rank 14.
    * All tiers of stat tomes and the relic removal scroll can now drop from the final bosses in scaled instances.
    * Melding recipes for Tier 8 relics, Level 75 relics and Level 75 legendary items have been added.
    * Legendary Items level 66 and above have increased relic return from deconstruction if they are advanced to level 31 or higher. The increase is more significant if the item is advanced to level 60 and above.
    * New recipes for Level 75 crafted relics are located on the Crafting Guild vendors. The Compendium of Middle Earth, Volume III, can be acquired via a reward for completing the daily repeatable quest “The Forges of Isengard,” given by Bron in Galtrev.
    * Worn Symbols of Celebrimbor are now available via Skirmish barter vendors.
    * Marks, Medallions, Seals, and Relic Currency are all now bind to account.
    * Unique class titles have been added as rewards for the level 15, 30, 45, and 58 class quests. Characters who have previously completed these quests will be rewarded the titles retroactively.
    * Rune-keepers will have new talismans which will turn their Spirit of Nature Pet into spirits of other animals.
    * The Skirmish instance quests (the quest you receive every time you play a Skirmish) will now award gold, reputation, XP and IXP. This quest, unlike the old daily quests, will be awarded every time the Skirmish is completed, and will scale more accurately to the level of the Skirmish. The previous XP bonus on monsters has been reduced to compensate.
    * Added a new lock-on camera mode which keeps the camera pointed towards your target. By default this can be engaged using the [X] key, but you can remap it in Options->Key Mapping->Camera.

- Henry Cobb
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 03:27:27 PM

Developer Diary by casual player darling Budgeford.

The first batch of Update 6 patch notes from Bullroarer. Points of interest, as extracted by Casual Stroll to Mordor:

* Virtues have been extended to Rank 14.
    * All tiers of stat tomes and the relic removal scroll can now drop from the final bosses in scaled instances.
    * Melding recipes for Tier 8 relics, Level 75 relics and Level 75 legendary items have been added.
    * Legendary Items level 66 and above have increased relic return from deconstruction if they are advanced to level 31 or higher. The increase is more significant if the item is advanced to level 60 and above.
    * New recipes for Level 75 crafted relics are located on the Crafting Guild vendors. The Compendium of Middle Earth, Volume III, can be acquired via a reward for completing the daily repeatable quest “The Forges of Isengard,” given by Bron in Galtrev.
    * Worn Symbols of Celebrimbor are now available via Skirmish barter vendors.
    * Marks, Medallions, Seals, and Relic Currency are all now bind to account.
    * Unique class titles have been added as rewards for the level 15, 30, 45, and 58 class quests. Characters who have previously completed these quests will be rewarded the titles retroactively.
    * Rune-keepers will have new talismans which will turn their Spirit of Nature Pet into spirits of other animals.
    * The Skirmish instance quests (the quest you receive every time you play a Skirmish) will now award gold, reputation, XP and IXP. This quest, unlike the old daily quests, will be awarded every time the Skirmish is completed, and will scale more accurately to the level of the Skirmish. The previous XP bonus on monsters has been reduced to compensate.
    * Added a new lock-on camera mode which keeps the camera pointed towards your target. By default this can be engaged using the [X] key, but you can remap it in Options->Key Mapping->Camera.

Oh God I just splooged.  They are yet again addressing all the things that irk me, even things I did not realize irked me!

And bind to account for marks and whatnot?  Wow.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 05:39:46 AM

The prospective warden changes (which aren't in quite yet) look awesome, too.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 11:04:18 AM

This seems to be great for people at cap.  Last I heard virtues were 11.

Where are you guys overall in the game in level and feeling?

Lotro has no charm for me anymore.  Feels just like a relentless economy.  Very narrow exploration and socialization features which is what I care about.  Was hoping by now there would be new things other than leveling and economy.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 12:45:38 PM

I always liked exploring in this game.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 01:52:20 PM

This seems to be great for people at cap.  Last I heard virtues were 11.

Where are you guys overall in the game in level and feeling?

Lotro has no charm for me anymore.  Feels just like a relentless economy.  Very narrow exploration and socialization features which is what I care about.  Was hoping by now there would be new things other than leveling and economy.

End game.  Took a break to play Civ4 MoM, but will probably jump back in shortly.

There is a lot to do.  Personally, I like doing PUGS and rotate amongst the different types (skirmishes, 3 man Isenguards, older instances, etc). 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 08:58:35 PM

Love the world, the lore, the ever-growing mapped areas of Middle-Earth.

HATE the obvious game mechanics being added or in some cases changed from existing ones, to bias them towards microtrans:
- Bank self-storage and shared storage is normally just something you get with a game (not in LOTRO)
- Tasks were so-obviously evolved as a way to stress inventory, to herd you to buy more bank storage
- LI relic removal used to just happen at certain LI levels. Now, you can only remove relics from a LI with a Store-bought scroll; there is no way in-game to do this. So this is an example of actually regressing the game on purpose to charge for something that the game just used to do naturally.
- Disabling XP gain has been requested for years, then they finally added a Store-bought temporary way to do this (last Nov) that they quickly removed citing "technical issues". Instead of this being a fucking checkbox in Options or visit an NPC like anyone else has.
- Lifetime/VIP members actually get extra rested XP that cannot be disabled either. It is impossible for those poeple to play much content without flying by it in levels, so progressing through content with others is impossible (such as trying to stop some people at 50, play the tons of content made for 50, then re-enabling XP to go into Moria once you have had your fill of all the zones and raid content there.

HATE the removal for any motivation for people to know each other. Focus on skirmishes, scaling, etc just makes it one more game that people sit on their fucking ass in town playing. LOTRO was the exact anithesis of what it is now when it launched, and the sort of people it attracted.

Most Store microtans are for items or services which accelerate leveling, hence they are biased to not add features which go against this despite them being fairly standard features to have in MMOs today (i.e. disable the motherfucking XP). Roleplay, content progression caps, playing same-level with friends are all out the window without this.

A bunch of us returned to play about 2 months back, and the inability to stop the XP to level together, and to stop for the group and raid content just pissed everyone off and we all quit. About half the 20 people had never played LOTRO before, and were loving it and looking forward to stopping to smell the roses, but they had grey quests filling up way too fast due to the ridiculous XP gain.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:04:38 PM by Redgiant »

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 08:37:20 AM

HATE the obvious game mechanics being added or in some cases changed from existing ones, to bias them towards microtrans:
- Bank self-storage and shared storage is normally just something you get with a game (not in LOTRO)
You get storage without paying- but can now add to it beyond the initial amounts
- Tasks were so-obviously evolved as a way to stress inventory, to herd you to buy more bank storage
Task items do not take up that much space.  I love it as its a good way to gain extra xp on alts, free IXP, and rep
- LI relic removal used to just happen at certain LI levels. Now, you can only remove relics from a LI with a Store-bought scroll; there is no way in-game to do this. So this is an example of actually regressing the game on purpose to charge for something that the game just used to do naturally.
Yeah, this one is blatantly obvious.  Next patch you can get the scroll off some instances, but obvious method to get people to spend points.
- Disabling XP gain has been requested for years, then they finally added a Store-bought temporary way to do this (last Nov) that they quickly removed citing "technical issues". Instead of this being a fucking checkbox in Options or visit an NPC like anyone else has.
I would imagine this impacts a small minority of people, but still odd that they cannot implement fairly easily 
- Lifetime/VIP members actually get extra rested XP that cannot be disabled either. It is impossible for those poeple to play much content without flying by it in levels, so progressing through content with others is impossible (such as trying to stop some people at 50, play the tons of content made for 50, then re-enabling XP to go into Moria once you have had your fill of all the zones and raid content there.
Why can you not complete grey content?  I actually find it more fun.

HATE the removal for any motivation for people to know each other. Focus on skirmishes, scaling, etc just makes it one more game that people sit on their fucking ass in town playing. LOTRO was the exact anithesis of what it is now when it launched, and the sort of people it attracted.
Thanks to instancing/skirms I have gotten to know a ton of people outside my kin.  How are these group mechanics ruining socializing?

Most Store microtans are for items or services which accelerate leveling, hence they are biased to not add features which go against this despite them being fairly standard features to have in MMOs today (i.e. disable the motherfucking XP). Roleplay, content progression caps, playing same-level with friends are all out the window without this.

A bunch of us returned to play about 2 months back, and the inability to stop the XP to level together, and to stop for the group and raid content just pissed everyone off and we all quit. About half the 20 people had never played LOTRO before, and were loving it and looking forward to stopping to smell the roses, but they had grey quests filling up way too fast due to the ridiculous XP gain.
So skip quests that you are doing together and go back when the group is ready?  Whats the issue with going back and helping lower level friends?

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 09:21:59 AM

Lotro hands down has the best environment for broad and deep non leveling kinds of play.  Its the MMO I always go back to.  Outside of some tweaks and tuning to existent mechanics like LI, I just wish they added a few extras for new entrants (like sidekicking) and for non leveling play.  For example add collections.  Add more rep quests for cosmetics like the inn league.  And for exploration, use that fun mechanic for pseudo tracking where ground glows.  I assume they cant spare the resources.

I still also wonder how many new entrants drop before cap.  Did they lessen the curve in the last half year?
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 12:05:21 PM

Lotro hands down has the best environment for broad and deep non leveling kinds of play.  Its the MMO I always go back to.  Outside of some tweaks and tuning to existent mechanics like LI, I just wish they added a few extras for new entrants (like sidekicking) and for non leveling play.  For example add collections.  Add more rep quests for cosmetics like the inn league.  And for exploration, use that fun mechanic for pseudo tracking where ground glows.  I assume they cant spare the resources.

I still also wonder how many new entrants drop before cap.  Did they lessen the curve in the last half year?

Yes.  They reworked some core areas and it is very easy to solo to end game.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 12:23:00 PM

/sirbruces

If you're a subscriber, the amount of free storage you get now is the same as it as you got when the game shipped (and the loot situation has been significantly improved by making quest items non-inventory, increasing max stack sizes, and converting many items into wallet items or "use immediately to gain faction").

I can't agree with you on this one.

But they're entirely ignorable. I think I've handed in like five since they were patched in. They're (intentionally!) flavorless, and there are plenty of "real" quests level on. If you choose to use them, cool. But be aware you're opting in to a grind you don't need to do.

I agree with you completely on the matter of LI relic removal. It's a money grab, and I'm not going to pretend it's not or justify it. This is one of the few cases you can point to and say beyond any doubt, "They're making us pay for what we used to get with a subscription."

Disabling XP does seem like it should be an easy fix... but we have no idea what their code looks like (and I, for one, am not an engineer), so we're judging from a position of utter ignorance. I can rationalize the decision to make it a store unlock, though. This is a feature few people seemed to want. There's no reason to sink dev time into it unless they know that it will reap a profit. I'd prefer it was a permanent on-and-off option unlocked by a one-time purchase.

-HATE the removal for any motivation for people to know each other. Focus on skirmishes, scaling, etc just makes it one more game that people sit on their fucking ass in town playing. LOTRO was the exact anithesis of what it is now when it launched, and the sort of people it attracted.

As someone who started playing in 2007 and has only grouped once or twice in 75 levels, I disagree. LotRO was always solo-friendly, with the exception of the epics.

And I'm not alone. There are many MMG players who fall under the category of "Lone Wolves" - enough that Damion Schubert did an entire GDC presentation on it. (I wish I could link to his slides, but his site has disappeared.) To me, your complaint about players "sit(ting) on their fucking ass in town" sounds closed-minded. Some people play games to bake bread. Some people play to crush. There is no right way to play a game - there's only your way. Soloers were always in LotRO, whether you noticed them or not (most likely not, since the weren't grouping with you...).

You say you want to stop and smell the roses and not gain XP, and in the next breath complain about how all the quests become grey and don't give XP.  awesome, for real

No, don't get mad - I do understand what you're saying - there's no challenge to completing grey quests. All I can offer is that every time I've gotten around to doing the Shire, all the quests have been grey to me, but I still consider it one of the best zones in the game. I left with no XP and a handful of pocket change, but many fond memories.

- Henry Cobb
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 12:47:49 PM

I have never understood the issue about turning off xp.  Whether a quest is grey or you have xp off, the effect is exactly the same on your xp bar.  Or am I missing another aspect like loot, perhaps?

I have never played WoW.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 01:22:21 PM

Not outlevelling friends was actually a kinda big deal for my group (especially since we had separate playtimes and some of us played a lot more than others), and I'm not sure what happens to your xp if someone 10 levels above you is in your group (can you even instance with that level spread?). 'Sides, if two people are 10 levels above the rest of the group it probably kills all the challenge in the content and the lower-level people will barely get an attack off before stuff dies. It was part of the reason we stopped playing (though moria+lothlorien was what broke the camel's back).

Sidekicking or bust, imo.

Distinct
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 01:34:09 PM

I play regular groups with friends.

First rule we established was the "group" characters were only played when we were on together. 

If you want to play outside the group schedule you play an alt .

Wow was the only one that caused us problems with the introduction of XP for Gathering profs.

Stick to this and its really not a problem.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 01:50:22 PM

Sidekicking / Exemplaring is one of my top-ten greatest MMG features ever. That and "giant monster" event enemies.

Why don't more people rip off features from City of Heroes, anyway?

- Henry Cobb
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 02:57:12 PM

Not outlevelling friends was actually a kinda big deal for my group (especially since we had separate playtimes and some of us played a lot more than others), and I'm not sure what happens to your xp if someone 10 levels above you is in your group (can you even instance with that level spread?). 'Sides, if two people are 10 levels above the rest of the group it probably kills all the challenge in the content and the lower-level people will barely get an attack off before stuff dies. It was part of the reason we stopped playing (though moria+lothlorien was what broke the camel's back).

If I recall, and its been awhile- there is minimal impact to XP when you travel with underlevel companions.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 02:08:04 AM

I play regular groups with friends.

First rule we established was the "group" characters were only played when we were on together. 

If you want to play outside the group schedule you play an alt .

Wow was the only one that caused us problems with the introduction of XP for Gathering profs.

Stick to this and its really not a problem.
Yea, we tried the play-an-alt thing, but normal leveling in lotro was very slow at the time and we were basically soloing our way through (small/dead server, no LFD) so it didn't really work out. You could say that lotro is about the journey instead of the destination, and in my experience (ohoho), levelling in lotro is a lot more involved / takes a lot longer than other dikus. It'd only make sense to allow us to level with our friends no matter our individual playstyles / time committment -- something we can do in a lot of other games a lot easier.

BTW, wow has had an xp-off button since 2009 (and eq2 had one before that, iirc?)... but levelling in that game was so fast (and admittedly an afterthought since wow is all about rah-rah rush-to-endgame) that it didn't really matter to us.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 10:15:08 AM

They did a major update on the instance finder. Not cross server, but as far as I can see nearly everything else. The big thing is you'll be able to choose what instances you queue for and the reward bonus will go up as you queue for more and more. The result being that you get the option to screen out stuff you don't want to do, but it'll push you through the bonus to not just do the same instance again and again.

They are also reworking XP and rewards in general and it sounds like a tacit admission that the changes did nerf rewards and they're fixing it.

Dev Diary on Finder

Dev Diary on Rewards

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 04:29:53 AM

I just read here that soldiers will need a certain resource bought for skirmish marks (or the store, of course) for each hour you plan on using them... they are not perma like GW heroes or SWTOR companions like I (and probably many others) thought. Oh well!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 06:02:04 AM

Feh.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 11:51:58 AM

Slightly disapointing.  I do like how the timer stops in town or when on a horse, etc.

I guess depends on cost in skirmish marks.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 07:47:27 PM

FFS
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 06:45:38 AM

Well, I used all of my marks to buy some hard-to-get-solo items for that outdated class item quest chain.  So, maybe if I happen upon some marks later on I will use them to buy some Hammer Soldier Time if I get stuck on a epic that we can't duo.  My wife, though, her soldier isn't upgraded.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 07:23:12 AM

My understanding is that they are 1200 TP per hour on Bullroarer. They work like cell phone minutes: you are charged by the minute for the time you have them out. When not needed, you just store them and the time stops. This is second hand from forums posts.

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 09:43:20 AM

My understanding is that they are 1200 TP per hour on Bullroarer. They work like cell phone minutes: you are charged by the minute for the time you have them out. When not needed, you just store them and the time stops. This is second hand from forums posts.

If you see what it costs in marks let us know.

Not like marks are hard to get, but still would be a bummer if they were a large amount.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 06:35:10 PM

Totally missing the boat.   Having a companion was by far the best thing in SWTOR.  And it's not like Turbine should delay getting people from Bree to Galtrev. 
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 01:48:38 AM

If you see what it costs in marks let us know.

Not like marks are hard to get, but still would be a bummer if they were a large amount.

forum quote:
1.5k marks and 75 medalions at lvl 70
I have no idea if this is accurate or not and it seems it may scale with level.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:57:41 AM by Nyght »

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 06:59:15 AM

forum quote:
1.5k marks and 75 medalions at lvl 70
I have no idea if this is accurate or not and it seems it may scale with level.

That is kinda steep for 1 hour companion.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 04:12:21 AM

Most of the content is already trivial to beat or at least that's what I'm finding. My guess is the companion thing is meant to be for solos to take on small group encounters.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 06:19:55 AM

I think most of the solo landscape content is easy with the odd exception here and there. You are faced with re-balancing everything for constant soldier use, or somehow limiting the time the soldiers are available. I think this a fair choice and gives them another TP sink. Except of coarse for the cheap bastards like me that are unlikely to use either TP or marks as long as I can get by without the soldier. I will be interesting to see if the difficultly of new zones shifts up a little.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Update 6 - Shores of the Great River  
Jump to: