Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:17:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: This Was my Last MMO 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Was my Last MMO  (Read 49777 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #210 on: February 18, 2012, 08:24:16 AM

Shhh... you'll piss off the vast number of PvPers that think gear acquisition is an actual skill.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: February 18, 2012, 08:24:56 AM

CoH didn't have content, it had the same fucking warehouse filled with the same fucking goomba's over and over and over.

As I understand the saga CoH was starved of content because much of the energy was being put into the next big thing which eventually became Champions. It's interesting to think what CoH could have become if it had not been starved, it certainly had the foundation to be extended.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: February 18, 2012, 01:07:39 PM

There was indeed a Hover for combat. Super Duper slower then flying, but no penalties otherwise.

It's not remotely surprising that PvP games have to limit travel powers, CoH is a clinic on how to not have PvP.

CoH was the last MMO I ever had any fun with PvP in. It was actually about skill, not grind and gear numbers. Aerial dogfights? Check. Superspeed jousting? Check. Teleport ambushing? Check. Taking control of giant deathmecha? Check. Fghting the actual big name Heroes/Villains when your side was getting a little too big for its boots? Check. Balance was all over the place, but the fun was undeniable.

CoH PvP was "everyone has stealth and 5 ways to escape any fight" you'd walk into their version of a BG that supposedly had 30 people in it and not see a fucking soul. The skill was who had the most patience to wait in teleport range of their own insta death guards and snatch the bored enemy when he finally starts dancing on the roof.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #213 on: February 18, 2012, 02:27:46 PM

I had a lot of fun with CoX PvP at first, but because the balance was all over the place it really meant that eventually, cheese was required. Fun times with my Robots/Traps MM standing innocently in front of a gazillion tripmines, trying to look as afk as possible.

Webbing blasters out of the air into my pile of mines and robots was a lot of fun too.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: February 18, 2012, 03:32:07 PM

It was fun until it was nothing but bunny hopping Ice Blasters.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #215 on: February 18, 2012, 04:38:46 PM

It was far more about what class you played (and what travel power you took) than skill.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: February 18, 2012, 06:24:30 PM

It was far more about what class you played (and what travel power you took) than skill.

So, WoW druids? And if you remove the travel power constraint MMO PvP in general.

- Simond
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #217 on: February 18, 2012, 07:43:45 PM

Druids couldn't fly in battlegrounds, or in combat. The comparison isn't even close to how unbalanced CoX pvp was.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #218 on: February 19, 2012, 08:24:43 AM

CoH didn't have content, it had the same fucking warehouse filled with the same fucking goomba's over and over and over.

As I understand the saga CoH was starved of content because much of the energy was being put into the next big thing which eventually became Champions. It's interesting to think what CoH could have become if it had not been starved, it certainly had the foundation to be extended.

CoH was hit before that with NCsoft's focus on Tabula Rasa - CoV didn't set the world on fire for NCsoft, so they cut back on investment on CoH/V and fed that money into the sure hit of TR. Which is why Cryptic started thinking that maybe they shouldn't tie their entire future into one title / publisher.

Or so it seems from the outside.

The big complaint about CoH though - lots of kill all in the same few warehouses / caves / areas - was true from launch though.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: February 19, 2012, 11:37:25 AM

Defeat all.

Heroes don't kill defenceless clockworks.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: February 19, 2012, 12:02:21 PM

I'm going to arrest those Vahzilok with my non-lethal flamethrower that I used after blasting them with my non-lethal assault rifle that looks like a super soaker.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: February 19, 2012, 03:10:17 PM

Assault rifle became massively more fun when they let you pick the weapon model. That super soaker, while it fit the various aspects of the power, looked ridiculous.

Druids couldn't fly in battlegrounds, or in combat. The comparison isn't even close to how unbalanced CoX pvp was.

It was more a suggestion that most PvE focused MMO's tend to consider the PvP portion very late in the picture and find powers that were fine in PvE are impossible to balance. The WoW druid in a game with capture the flag, Warhammer (and it sounds like SWTOR) pulls and pushes in maps with environmental hazards and yes... just about every travel power in CoH.

- Simond
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: February 19, 2012, 03:46:37 PM

So, what you are saying is. You don't like talking to people.

Way to completely ignore every point in his post in order to score a cheap debating point.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: February 19, 2012, 04:31:58 PM

Assault rifle became massively more fun when they let you pick the weapon model. That super soaker, while it fit the various aspects of the power, looked ridiculous.

It was more a suggestion that most PvE focused MMO's tend to consider the PvP portion very late in the picture and find powers that were fine in PvE are impossible to balance. The WoW druid in a game with capture the flag, Warhammer (and it sounds like SWTOR) pulls and pushes in maps with environmental hazards and yes... just about every travel power in CoH.

Warhammer doesnt even have that excuse, it was a pvp game.

I am the .00000001428%
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #224 on: February 19, 2012, 06:24:01 PM

While we're turning this into a CoH/V nostalgia thread, I loved CoH/V's Gladiator PvP - you could 'unlock' NPCs and build teams based on points to fight for you - but it was the least successful version of PvP. I'm not even sure it is even played.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: February 19, 2012, 09:56:18 PM

Way to completely ignore every point in his post in order to score a cheap debating point.

Super serious!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: February 20, 2012, 12:05:44 PM

Super serious!

I was just trolling gais.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: February 21, 2012, 07:20:48 AM

Well, not my last, but I think I've seen everything I'm interested in seeing in this game. Maybe I'll finish my Sith Inquisitor. Funny thing is that the best experience I've had so far was enough to convince me that I'd had as much fun as the game offers. Was in Ilum two nights ago when it blossomed into a 50 v 50 thing for once. It got a bit slide-showy but it was amusing for sure for a good two hours of killing and being killed (mostly killing: the two big PvP guilds on the Republic side were unusually coordinated for once). But after it all started to die down, with everyone having gotten their weekly done, I thought, "Well, suppose that happens again tomorrow night? How long before we all start saying, 'eh, what's the point'? or before we start getting frustrated with trying to do twitch in a non-twitch environment? or before people start pulling some kind of serious exploitative bullshit?"

And then I looked at my level 48 Valor and said, "Do I really want to grind out 12 more levels and then grind some more to get my Battlemaster?"

And then I remembered the last time I tried to Scoundrel heal a hardmode operation and said, "Is that going to be even WoW-style unfun to try for a while?"

And then I said, "It's time to take another look at LOTRO." Or play Crusader Kings II. Or play Skyrim some more. Etc.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: February 21, 2012, 07:47:28 AM

I'm holding out hope for GW2.  Large scale open world PVP is all I've really wanted since November 2005. 

If GW2 doesn't work out, I'll probably hold my nose and return to WOW or SWGemu.  Or (or!) quit mmos altogether and return to a halfway productive life.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: February 21, 2012, 04:57:56 PM

This is my last MMO too.  I can see the grind too quickly, and after 13 years (Jesus) since I started in EQ, I'm tired of level grinds.  It's not you, it's me etc.

One other thing I have found interesting, is related to the storyline.  I had a similar problem in kotor.  I find it hard to get involved in any old republic storyline, since I know what will happen.  Whatever crisis will pass, and the republic will carry on fine for another 2000 years or so until the clone wars.  So I have real problems getting "into" the storyline.  I realize how ridiculous this seems since the whole thing is make believe, but it's my suspension of disbelief, and this is how I'm going to deal with it dammit.

Anyone else had similar thoughts, or am I completely off on a limb here?

The only time this happened to me in-game was when my Jedi Knight ...
Epic story fail.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: February 21, 2012, 05:01:44 PM

Not a problem, we're in an alternate universe because Spock went through that wormhole - so anything can happen!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #231 on: February 21, 2012, 06:20:22 PM

While we're turning this into a CoH/V nostalgia thread, I loved CoH/V's Gladiator PvP - you could 'unlock' NPCs and build teams based on points to fight for you - but it was the least successful version of PvP. I'm not even sure it is even played.
Badgers played it.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #232 on: February 21, 2012, 08:22:42 PM

Badgers played it.

'Badgers' meaning 'those who went after badges', not 'Mr Toad's buzzkill of a friend' for those who were confused.

I don't think that the Gladiator system got much work on it past its introduction, though. But it was a great concept.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: This Was my Last MMO  
Jump to: