Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:37:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: This Was my Last MMO 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Was my Last MMO  (Read 49793 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #175 on: February 13, 2012, 06:10:51 PM

I can't remember any reference to them in KOTOR, and I must have played that game at least 5 times through.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: February 13, 2012, 06:14:20 PM

I can't remember any reference to them in KOTOR, and I must have played that game at least 5 times through.

I couldn't either, but Google proved me wrong.  But just one very small reference.

Canderous Ordo mentions a rock that spat out blobs of energy that ate through shield and hull plating, just before speeding away. He stresses the point that it looked like an asteriod.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #177 on: February 13, 2012, 06:16:43 PM

Ah, if the reference wasn't by name I wouldn't have recognized it, since I never read the actual stuff.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: February 13, 2012, 11:49:21 PM

Well, there are also Chiss all over the place in this timeline, as well as Sith pureblood who seem to keep getting lost and found again through various parts of the Star Wars history.  Planets that have been lost, then found, then lost again.  Starships and armor that appear to be better than they are throusands of years later (though there are some canonical explanations for some of these).  Hell, nobody can even agree on what the Force is.

You have to be able to exercise a good deal of cognitive dissonance in order for this all to make sense.  Luckily for me, I am practically the Dark Lord of Cognitive Dissonance.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: February 14, 2012, 01:15:20 AM

Ib4 parsecs are a measure of distance.

Popcorn

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #180 on: February 14, 2012, 01:48:29 AM

SWOR is basically the greatest hits mashup of all Star Wars material. As time goes on, I'm expecting to hear that a lot more EU material has entered the game.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: February 14, 2012, 04:22:03 AM

Well, in more than one sense, this is basically already pure EU material.  But I think you know what you mean.  Even so, there is a bunch of non SWTOR specific stuff that comes from other EU sources.  I highly suspect, for example, that House Thul on Alderaan is a backstory on Raynar Thul, who is an EU character introduced post ROTJ.  I am not positive of this, but I would bet 10 bucks on it.  I think there are tons of things just like that in this game.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #182 on: February 14, 2012, 06:45:23 AM

Huh, Blasters are really lasers? I always figured they were plasma weapons, which explained them not firing solid beams/hitting instantly. That's usually a good enough hand-wavey thing to make gun battles more interesting looking.

Too bad WUA went crazy. He'd have straightened us all out with a tome of a post by now.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: February 14, 2012, 06:54:55 AM

Facepalm

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #184 on: February 14, 2012, 09:06:11 AM

Blasters ARE plasma and Wookiepedia has it wrong.  They're not even internally consistent as the Blaster page lists them as light & particle weapons, but the individual weapon pages list blasters as using plasma charge packs.  awesome, for real

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DC-15A_blaster_rifle
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/E-11_blaster_rifle
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/SC_blaster_rifle

Every tech manual and cross-section book I've seen has always indicated a gas-charge system for at least ship weapons.  (Because firing damage-potential lasers into the vacuum of space with so many inhabited planets over thousands of years is seen as a generally a BAD IDEA.) 

Those I'd trust more because as Crazy as LucasArts cannon has gotten over the years, they at least have someone attempting to vette it into a cohesive jumble.   Wookiepedia does not and I suspect the blaster section of being edited by science nerds rather than fiction nerds.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: February 15, 2012, 12:09:41 AM

We all know they have had to retcon the shit out of all this, but yes, all of these supposed blasters/lasers are gas powered weapons.  Like from the Tibanna gas that comes from Bespin that good old Lando was mining in the clouds there.  Lando or Han actually mentions the gas, but I believe its function was actually retconned in later.  So yeah, super heated plasma.

I don't know why they still call ship weapons "turbolasers" (sometimes, although there are deliberate distinctions made for blaster cannons).  At the end of the day, it is an imaginary universe, and it is silly to try to make perfect sense of it all.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: February 15, 2012, 11:32:21 AM

I don't know why they still call ship weapons "turbolasers" (sometimes, although there are deliberate distinctions made for blaster cannons).  At the end of the day, it is an imaginary universe, and it is silly to try to make perfect sense of it all.

Because it sounds cool. Like "hydrospanners". What, they're powered by water? They're used for fixing water? They're made of water? What does it mean?  Who gives a fuck - it sounds cool.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #187 on: February 15, 2012, 12:08:47 PM

Because it sounds cool. Like "hydrospanners". What, they're powered by water? They're used for fixing water? They're made of water? What does it mean?  Who gives a fuck - it sounds cool.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #188 on: February 15, 2012, 12:15:16 PM

I was just being sarcastic...

I enjoy the fact that I know nothing about Star Wars, Star Trek, Star Raiders, Star 80, or any other Star ___ you want to explain tech to me from. 

For fuck's sake, man!  What kind of nerd are you?   Ohhhhh, I see.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #189 on: February 16, 2012, 10:52:39 PM

People still use Text chat? I mean, other than linking and asking the occasional questions.
Yes.  I prefer text chat.  It takes an act of the heavens to get me on a headset.

Same here. When soloing in an MMO I like to listen to music, chat with my wife on the PC next to me (who might be playing or just doing stuff on her computer). I stop, play with the cat, alt-tab (I'm playing WoW right now, for example), watch TV etc etc. I have no urge to sit with a headset on listening to other people crap away about things unless I'm specifically in the mood for it (ie almost never).

Also, I find headsets uncomfortable as a rule.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: February 16, 2012, 11:42:25 PM

I have a pretty awesome headset, but fuck using voice chat.  When people are really into it, text chat is way funnier.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: February 17, 2012, 12:15:09 AM

Game needs chat bubbles though.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: February 17, 2012, 12:17:43 AM

Game needs chat bubbles though.

That's for damn sure.  Especially considering the instanced nature of this game, I don't see the spam danger.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #193 on: February 17, 2012, 02:12:31 AM

I remember when I first started playing CoH, and it had chat bubbles. Before that I had only played DAoC. I didn't know I needed chat bubbles until I had them, now I miss them like crazy when they aren't there (WoW didn't have them at first, and frankly the ones they wound up adding were never as good as CoX's).

God Save the Horn Players
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: February 17, 2012, 07:13:05 AM

That's because CoX is still the undisputed Crown King of MMO Chat funcionality.

That you were able to customise what your chat bubbles looked like was icing on top; I always themed my bubbles to my char's colour schemes.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: February 17, 2012, 08:18:47 AM

Yea CoX was always ahead of it's time with it's chat powers. You could chat across servers and shit years before WoW even dreamed of their RealID/BattleTags system.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: February 17, 2012, 09:26:17 AM

That you were able to customise what your chat bubbles looked like was icing on top; I always themed my bubbles to my char's colour schemes.
Even Free Realms has customisable chat bubbles...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: February 17, 2012, 10:59:36 AM

F chat bubbles, 80% of the time I send tells to people they never see it so how bout anytime you get a tell a boxing glove comes out and slams you in the head. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #198 on: February 17, 2012, 11:09:57 AM

Yea CoX was always ahead of it's time with it's chat powers. You could chat across servers and shit years before WoW even dreamed of their RealID/BattleTags system.

I'd go so far as to say they're STILL years ahead with their entire back-end.  Chat, grouping, player customization, player experience and player differential are all just fantastically dealt with.   I'm still a fan of a lot of their systems from those standpoints.

It's the actual game and its mechanics that are a bit lackluster.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: February 17, 2012, 11:24:57 AM

Not to mention an insane amount of content (more than any other game even without Mission Architect, imo), and the best player-driven content system on the MMO market.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:31:09 AM by Zetor »

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: February 17, 2012, 11:37:49 AM

CoH didn't have content, it had the same fucking warehouse filled with the same fucking goomba's over and over and over.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #201 on: February 17, 2012, 12:19:17 PM

CoH didn't have content, it had the same fucking warehouse filled with the same fucking goomba's over and over and over.

Hey now.

There were sewer and insane skyscraper maps, too.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: February 17, 2012, 01:45:13 PM

It had tons of content, it's just that all the content was too similar to each other.  I'd still be playing the game if it had more to do than zone into building, kill everything, rinse and repeat.  Still, it's the only game I ever quit that I still have very positive feelings for (I guess GW could count too, but you don't really 'quit' GW) and it still has the most memorable characters I ever played.

Over and out.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: February 17, 2012, 05:05:31 PM

For a game I only started playing as a stop-gap between DAoC's early death throes and WoW's baby-steps; CoX remains the MMO I've played longest and invested most in, both in terms of time and emotion.
It's probably the only MMO I wouldn't hesitate to resub to at any given moment. I quit because I felt the need to play other things but it never failed me.

Also, Super Jump > everything else in any MMO, ever.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: February 17, 2012, 05:12:39 PM

CoX failed me once I finished making my character. Fuck I couldn't move and attack (I'm not sure I can still). I never got past 16 or 18, I don't remember exactly now.

I loooved making new people, but detested actually playing them.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #205 on: February 17, 2012, 05:23:48 PM

This really cannot be said enough.

God Save the Horn Players
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #206 on: February 17, 2012, 07:17:11 PM

This really cannot be said enough.

CoH/V ruined me when it comes to character travel. I couldn't stand a cooldown on a near useless sprint in WAR and I remember watching my RIFT character run up and down hills and thinking my CoH/V character would have just jumped over it.

It's sad that travel powers has either been ghettoised as 'superhero MMO only' or are have ridiculous limitations put on them in other games (i.e. Shadowbane's flight, from memory, Aion).

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #207 on: February 17, 2012, 09:29:13 PM

I used to take the slight hit to effectiveness with my energy/energy blaster and fight while flying. Because it's so completely awesome.

Thinking back, there may have been a hover that I used to switch to or something.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: February 17, 2012, 11:41:12 PM

There was indeed a Hover for combat. Super Duper slower then flying, but no penalties otherwise.

It's not remotely surprising that PvP games have to limit travel powers, CoH is a clinic on how to not have PvP.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: February 18, 2012, 07:55:12 AM

There was indeed a Hover for combat. Super Duper slower then flying, but no penalties otherwise.

It's not remotely surprising that PvP games have to limit travel powers, CoH is a clinic on how to not have PvP.

CoH was the last MMO I ever had any fun with PvP in. It was actually about skill, not grind and gear numbers. Aerial dogfights? Check. Superspeed jousting? Check. Teleport ambushing? Check. Taking control of giant deathmecha? Check. Fghting the actual big name Heroes/Villains when your side was getting a little too big for its boots? Check. Balance was all over the place, but the fun was undeniable.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: This Was my Last MMO  
Jump to: