Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:25:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Crusader Kings II 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crusader Kings II  (Read 134778 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #315 on: December 16, 2013, 12:43:52 PM

That ambition only works against rulers of Irish counties who are not of your religion. So if you are Christian you can only use it on the Norse rulers in Ireland. 

So how the hell do I conquer Ireland?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: December 16, 2013, 01:00:34 PM

fabricate claims, or get claims through marriage, eventually usurp/create ducal titles and then subjugate counties with du jure claims.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #317 on: December 16, 2013, 01:02:12 PM

Ok time to start my game over then. I got murdered by my bastard son way too early.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: December 16, 2013, 01:35:28 PM

Aw, claw your way back up from whoever you are now!  It's the CK2 way!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #319 on: December 16, 2013, 01:40:00 PM

I refuse to play as the son that murdered me when I didn't know what I was doing.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: December 16, 2013, 01:40:11 PM

^Yeah I would recommend just keep going unless it's game over. Stick with ironman mode too.

Pay careful attention to who you marry, and your also your sons (also brothers & nephews). Through the wives inheriting claims from their mothers and fathers is a great way to get them into your dynasty. Be ready to press them at succession event. So in Ireland, don't bother marrying foreign princesses, or duke's daughters. Marry the daughters of Irish counts.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: December 16, 2013, 01:40:48 PM

I refuse to play as the son that murdered me when I didn't know what I was doing.

But THAT guy knows what he's doing!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #322 on: December 16, 2013, 01:48:59 PM

Starting over, and going from there. Marrying in Ireland. Will do.

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: December 16, 2013, 01:51:00 PM

That ambition only works against rulers of Irish counties who are not of your religion. So if you are Christian you can only use it on the Norse rulers in Ireland.  

So how the hell do I conquer Ireland?

Another possibility if you are a duke with spare counties or baronies, is to invite claimants and give them one of your spare titles. Then use his claimant to attack and conquer whoever he has a claim on. Afterwards you could revoke his title(s) at your leisure, or let him rule in your name. Rinse repeat ad nauseum. It does require good diplomacy and/or a bag of money to get them to join once in while.  
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: December 16, 2013, 01:55:20 PM

I actually generally prefer to marry for alliances rather than inheritance.  Alliances are (potential) help right now this instant to do whatever, inheritance is possibly free land 20 years in the future if all your plans go right etc etc.   Granted, alliances sometimes flake out on you, and you are relying on the computer's ability to bring help when and where you need it but they are often very very useful.

I don't remember what, if anything, the tutorials tell you about alliances but when you're looking over marriages, a little blue flag in the corner means this will get you one.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: December 16, 2013, 02:49:00 PM

use your daughters for alliance
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #326 on: December 16, 2013, 05:51:49 PM

If I have king of Ireland as an ambition it says I get to use the Subjugation Cassisus Belli. However, I can never figure out how to use it as it doesn't come up in the options to attack my neighbor.

When you first start a game as a single county ruler, don't pick this ambition. Instead, if you are unmarried, go for marriage ambition. Pick a good bride.
When you first start, prioritize Stewardship. Find genius/quick wife if you can - hopefully it will go down to your descendants, leading to a brighter future for your dynasty.

Once that's done, pick ambitions to improve every ruler statistics to 8, to get that sweet prestige pops.
Prestige boosts relations - and absorbs prestige hits if you chose to marry your children to the lower houses.
Obviously going to negative prestige is going to hit your vassal loyalty down, so try not let it happen.

Don't unpause till you set your council tasks too.
Chancellors (Diplomats) don't really have much to do early on. You can try fabricating claims if you wish. But the gold cost is prohibitive and he might die from counter-assassins.
Marshall should stay home and train levy for the time being.
Stewards should definitely collect taxes, it will improve your income just a teensy bit - but sometimes he got a payoff event and give you a sizeable sum.
Spymasters - there's no better task for them than to steal tech. Send them faraway to a county where the liege has weak intrigue for more success.
Court Chaplain - he's better on research duty. Once you conquer heretical lands, his conversion needs to be called upon.

Going conqueror mode is tempting at the start, but in my experience it's best to accumulate wealth first as a weak count.
Wait a year and see how the norse raid patterns are like, should they assault in great frequency, try to build up levy boosters to beat them back.
Nothing is worse than having less levy and getting pillaged by raiders every year. They may even take your wife/daughter and make her their concubine!
So you have a pile of cash and wonder - what else is there in this game if I can't engage in military campaigns - well another good way to spend gold is to go for events. Hunting, feasting, etc. These generate prestige/traits but may lead to other bad things.

Have fun!

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: December 16, 2013, 08:44:17 PM

Ok, so I switched to Ireland, but the pace of army building is really slow, to the point it's suicide to attack another area 3 generations in. I'll try to build up wealth and steal tech and see if I do any better.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: December 16, 2013, 10:57:35 PM

Afternoon gents,

Reporting live from Paradox Forum.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: December 17, 2013, 01:34:45 AM

Kind of weak trolling since the earliest starting date is late 800s but nice to see people are still trying  why so serious?
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: December 17, 2013, 07:05:54 AM

This is inspiring me to go troll the war thunder forums about the lack of muslim nations in the game.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: December 20, 2013, 05:09:24 PM

Ok I apologize. The tutorial appears to be broken and my eyes are too old (yes just my eyes  why so serious?) to wade through posts looking for specific answers. I'm having the the following issues:

1. Naval deployment/management. This is the most frustrating thing in the game IMO. I try to play it like I would any Civ game: stack my ships and stack my army, load up army, then away I go. I can't for the life of me get my ships where I want them to go. I thought I had it figured out that you can only direct ships to go to physical port, but that doesn't work either. Right now what I do is just levy fleets, try to divide my forces to fit into each, and then take off, but that is so time consuming. Is there a better way?

2. What exactly do I need to do to get higher crown authority? (I want to get to medium I believe so vassals can't fight each other)

3. I don't seem to have as many troops in a county as the pc does, despite having more advancements in just about everything (in some cases i have 50% defense forces).

4. I believe the answer to number three is low Martial. My heirs are usually high Dips with low Martial. Do I need tutors with high Martial?

5. Are the amount of holdings a county has set in stone? (if one starts off with 2, is there a way to increase it to 3?)

Ok that's enough for now. I really love this game, maybe too much lol.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: December 20, 2013, 05:41:29 PM

I'm still not the greatest at this game but I can probably answer a few of them:

1. Are you joining your fleets? You can see how many troops each fleet holds to make sure you have enough room. Once you get to where you want to land, just select the troops and click on where you want to go.

2. There may be some other mechanism I'm not aware of, but you can raise or lower crown authority once in your leader's lifetime. Bump it up one, wait until he dies, bump it up again.

3. There are a lot of factors here. The improvements you have built in your holdings, your other laws, I think even how well your vassals like you could all make a difference.

4. I always go for diplomacy, especially for a larger kingdom because it makes vassals easier to handle. I specifically marry someone with very high diplomacy because your spouse will add to your overall score.

5. You can increase the number of holdings in some counties. If you look at the main screen, you will see an empty box that can be clicked on to create another holding. They are expensive, and probably not worth it in the early game.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: December 20, 2013, 05:54:01 PM

I'm still not the greatest at this game but I can probably answer a few of them:

1. Are you joining your fleets? You can see how many troops each fleet holds to make sure you have enough room. Once you get to where you want to land, just select the troops and click on where you want to go.

I don't know how to join the fleets. For example if they come from different counties, for some reason I can't get them all in the same place. If I could that would solve 90% of my problems.

2. There may be some other mechanism I'm not aware of, but you can raise or lower crown authority once in your leader's lifetime. Bump it up one, wait until he dies, bump it up again.

I'm fairly certain it's not available in the early game but I'll double check.

3. There are a lot of factors here. The improvements you have built in your holdings, your other laws, I think even how well your vassals like you could all make a difference.

4. I always go for diplomacy, especially for a larger kingdom because it makes vassals easier to handle. I specifically marry someone with very high diplomacy because your spouse will add to your overall score.

5. You can increase the number of holdings in some counties. If you look at the main screen, you will see an empty box that can be clicked on to create another holding. They are expensive, and probably not worth it in the early game.

I think I see what I've been doing wrong on these: I've been assuming that when you click on the county, the barony on the top right was the accumulative of the entire county, not a separate holding on its own.

Also: why do some holding auto improve and others don't?
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: December 20, 2013, 06:07:57 PM

You join fleets just like troops. Send them all to the same spot, select them all and there is a button at the top to do it. Not having the game open I forget exactly which one. I think it is blue and has arrows pointing in at the center or something.

There may be other conditions that allow authority changes. It might be that no vassal can have a negative opinion of you.

As far as holdings go, I believe the screen you are looking at shows the number of defenders in the hold. For overall troop numbers you can raise, you find that in the military tab. I think some holdings auto improve because your vassal pays to have them improved. If you own the hold, then it won't improve unless you do it.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: December 20, 2013, 08:25:29 PM

In order to join the fleets, they have to occupy the same space right? What I'm saying is I can't get them all into the same location if they start in different areas. Maybe I need to re-install or something but it's a hassle.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #336 on: December 21, 2013, 12:45:49 AM

1) Raise all fleets
2) Select all of them (easiest way is to zoom out, hold Alt and drag a big rectangle over all your lands)
3) Right click a sea region just off your coast
4) Wait until all ships arrive, then click the merge button

At which of those steps does it break down for you?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:54:40 AM by cironian »
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: December 21, 2013, 08:40:42 AM

How much your vassals like you is a huge factor in how many troops you get from them.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: December 21, 2013, 08:54:53 AM

1) Raise all fleets
2) Select all of them (easiest way is to zoom out, hold Alt and drag a big rectangle over all your lands)
3) Right click a sea region just off your coast
4) Wait until all ships arrive, then click the merge button

At which of those steps does it break down for you?

step 3, bringing the ships close enough to the coast. I can never get the ships close enough to land in order to embark. I try to click near land and it either doesn't respond at all or the ship goes off in some random area (usually in general vicinity, but again not close enough to (un)load.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: December 21, 2013, 09:29:42 AM

There are marked zones on the sea. Any one of them that borders on land can be disembarked from. I suspect you're doing something wrong but I haven't played recently enough to give you a step by step on it.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: December 21, 2013, 09:41:56 AM

Ships can only dock onto port that you own. You cannot dock in a foreign port unless your troops have controlled - AH FUCK IT

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: December 21, 2013, 01:37:35 PM

Heh, I never bother docking. I always make my guys swim.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: December 21, 2013, 02:38:06 PM

Heh, I never bother docking. I always make my guys swim.

Making them swim is the only thing I do right.  why so serious?

So in my last attempt, I managed to limit myself to only 3 reloads. In hindsight I wish I had been more disciplined, because there were multiple opportunities for me to restart, but I played it out anyway and it worked out. Right now I've solidifed Ireland and Wales and trying to take over Scotland by breeding them out.

England is going to be a major problem though. I was hoping I could take advantage of infighting but they seem to have an inexhaustible amount of troops, civil war or no.  I blew over 2k in gold on mercs, brought in allies with 10k armies (I had 20k by myself) won almost every major engagement, and for some reason I was still losing. 
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: December 21, 2013, 02:44:06 PM

You need to capture territories.
Enemies capital cities are worth more War Score.
In general I hate fighting huge wars and prefer to take out my enemy piece by piece.
But it gets too easy yes.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: December 22, 2013, 11:10:36 AM

I'll probably pick this up since it's 75% of on steam right now.

Any "mandatory" DLC I should pick up as well ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #345 on: December 22, 2013, 12:04:37 PM

All the DLC except for the Aztec (The Sunset Invasion) is good.  Since all the DLC is on sale (well, except for the latest one) along with the game, just get everything except the Aztec.  Its cheap and its worth it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: December 22, 2013, 09:40:01 PM

All the DLC except for the Aztec (The Sunset Invasion) is good.  Since all the DLC is on sale (well, except for the latest one) along with the game, just get everything except the Aztec.  Its cheap and its worth it.

That's for the actual dlcs. You can skip all the song packs, unit packs and stuff like dynasty shields unless you are really into the game and even then it's just fluff. Also the eu4 save converter is useless unless you have eu4 and actually plan on doing a mega playthru.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #347 on: December 23, 2013, 05:41:57 AM

Yes, but all that extra stuff is so cheap anyways, and almost nothing with the 75% off, may as well grab it all anyways.   awesome, for real

And if you are planning on getting EU4, the save converter is actually pretty cool.  Amazed it actually works so wel!  I'm going to see if I can setup an EUIV game based on the screwed up world of my Empire of Scandavia CK2 game.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: December 28, 2013, 06:28:14 PM

Just finished a Pomerania playthrough, I tried Romuva pagan religion - it was a chore, nothing works, got no boats to raid, defending against infidels is a bitch with the allies being intentionally stupid or something.
Hence, I told myself to just go Catholic - the Jews are willing to lend money to the followers of the Cross - the temples no longer send their tithes to me, but with the Jews and Papal funds as safety, I managed to repel 5-6 Pagan invasions from Norse and Slavs. Eventually I formed the Kingdom of Pomerania and slowly took most of Lithuania and Denmark - forming the Wiendish Empire.

Once that is done - I decided to exploit the Karling Konnection to the west - at first I thought of claiming the Rus while the rest of the west squabble among themselves - but I decided why bother?
I sourced for a Prince Robert Karling with 3 claims to the Kingdom of Italy, Lothangaria and France - grant him a minor city and went all out with 2 merc companied and 5000 retinues and 10,000 levies.
The result? A three Serene Republic owned by a single Karling. His levy is too low to challenge me and it's easy to please him with gold and educated heirs etc.

Stopped Game Screenshot since this is pre-1000 AD and I know for sure nothing will stop me once my liege dies and I install an Anti-Pope.

Was fun.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: December 29, 2013, 05:03:55 AM

Mongols Arrival - Kingdom of Georgia

1254 AD
They said King Davit VI lost his mind, but the Great King's title is well earned.
Depressed at the current state of Orthodox's downfall and Byzantine's decline - the King enthrusted everything to his 16 year old prodigy. Prince Khaikhosro the Strong, Ambitious, Kind, yet Patient youth who is Brave and Temperate.
King Davit banished two of his vassal, expelled the Jews before committing suicide. He was only 44.

The Prince rose to the occasion, and married his dead father's 30 year old second wife, Queen Sigrid Sunesdotter.

And finally, in 1255 AD - the inevitable happened...

An Empire ceases to exist.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Crusader Kings II  
Jump to: