Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:55:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Everquest going f2p 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everquest going f2p  (Read 37436 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #175 on: March 13, 2013, 09:06:59 AM

Yeah, the engine is at least 16 years old.  These fancy HD resolutions didn't exist when it was created (just ask Sky about his headaches!)  and I'd wager most people playing EQ don't have monitors that support them anyway.

Because the game can probably run on a toaster at this point.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #176 on: March 13, 2013, 10:54:22 AM

A few years back I got it up and running in some distored 4:3 ratio on my widescreen, but for whatever reason, my toon would run SUPER fast. I had the nightmare horse for my SK and the thing would spaz the fuck out and the gallop animation was x10 normal speed. It was like running EQ in Benny Hill mode. Never bothered to troubleshoot it and besides, the old server was a wasteland.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #177 on: March 13, 2013, 06:28:18 PM

I was hoping for a Kickstarter MMORPG from him, personally why so serious?

I'm looking forward to him rounding the EQ2 base and sliding into EQ Next home. That way Brad will have touched all the EQ titles.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: March 14, 2013, 12:14:22 PM

Yeah, the engine is at least 16 years old.  These fancy HD resolutions didn't exist when it was created (just ask Sky about his headaches!)  and I'd wager most people playing EQ don't have monitors that support them anyway.

Because the game can probably run on a toaster at this point.

Actually it must have been a glitch cause today it booted up and ran in 1680x1050 just fine. Still looks like shit though. Dunno why they have such a terrible problem with fonts and why they want to make every item in the ui faded by default. Looks terrible and the new models are still total shit :(
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: March 29, 2013, 02:28:32 PM

I haven't logged into EQ1 since around 2003ish. Any chance my chars are still around?  why so serious?

Quite probably but you'll have to find them if you weren't on one of the legacy servers that they dumped everyone on. And it's not as simple as it would seem as my server was Tarew Marr a beta server which got folded into Drinal which was a second or third wave server iirc.

the bigger problem is remembering my user/pass lol.

The good news is customer service was able to retrieve my user name and I reset my password and got in. It was really cool to see my old chars (my first mmo chars ever!) again after at least 10 years. The bad news is that I forgot I gave away most of my gold/equipment on my paladin so he's mostly naked lol. I got some valorium gear which I assume is from Fear raids.

I was on Brell Serrilis (sp) which is now Cazic.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: April 19, 2013, 07:58:23 PM

A few years back I got it up and running in some distored 4:3 ratio on my widescreen, but for whatever reason, my toon would run SUPER fast. I had the nightmare horse for my SK and the thing would spaz the fuck out and the gallop animation was x10 normal speed. It was like running EQ in Benny Hill mode. Never bothered to troubleshoot it and besides, the old server was a wasteland.

I had that happen a few years ago. I believe the solution was to force the game to only use one processor (if you had a multicore system which probably everyone does now). It was either that or run it in XP compatibility mode. I think the client now compensates for it. I started playing around with the Mac client a couple of months back and it was a nice bit of nostalgia. I think the Mac client only goes up to either Kunark or the next expansion after that. Rolled a barb beastlord and spent about 20 minutes trying to remember how to navigate the barb village to get to the zone line. It's amazing how turned around you could get in that game due to it's persepective. I never got the hang of Neriak.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: April 24, 2013, 04:29:42 PM

Especially because you have to level up your compass :)

I still have my collection of maps from back in the day. It was a tribute to the designers making complex twisty maps like their favourite PnP dungeons, and the amount of effort people invested, that going out and mapping the world was considered an important community service.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #182 on: April 25, 2013, 11:14:46 AM

I do feel the slightest nostalgia for my folder of maps. But I'm a map ho.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #183 on: April 25, 2013, 11:34:41 AM

I was always a really spatially oriented guy so I never needed maps beyond the first day or so in a zone.

That said, fuck Paludal Caverns.  That place gave me a brain twist so many times before I learned it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: April 25, 2013, 12:52:40 PM

I loved making maps.  Wizardry, M&M, Mozart MUD, Zork.  If I could map it, I'd do so.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #185 on: April 26, 2013, 01:40:44 AM

I am with you Lant, and another reason I like Wizardry Online (although you can loot scraps of maps if you are lucky).

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Everquest going f2p  
Jump to: