Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:14:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Everquest going f2p 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everquest going f2p  (Read 37648 times)
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: March 20, 2014, 11:06:42 AM

The thing I remember most fondly (and not knowing any better liked the least) about EQ was the pains inflicted upon me while playing were mostly caused by rules of the game (corpse runs, collision detection, faction grinding, locked content).  Now I realize that it was all hazing and misery loves company, this added an unhealthy level of depth and commitment to EQ.

In UO ALL of my pain came from other players.  

In WoW, which was mostly painless, the most pain I felt was inflicted upon me by the devs changing shit.  Having my entire gear set made irrelevant by a change in mechanics and stats was infuriating.  Then later having my warrior take a back seat to druid and paladin tanks pretty much made me lose interest in the game completely.  

Not that the other games don't have nerfs but both of these seemed particularly pointless (ie your class set didn't properly fit the theme so we did a stat switch with all your hand picked gear and after 3 years we feel that warriors shouldn't be the best all around tanks after all).
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: March 21, 2014, 08:06:38 AM

Few things in any other MMOG compare to one's first Freeport to Qeynos cross-continent run.  The lack of in-game maps, item loss on death, and the presence of some truly terrifying (to a level 12) stuff on the way led to a very memorable experience.  But I definitely felt like I'd accomplished something!
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: March 21, 2014, 08:16:31 PM

Yep.. I remember studying maps, reading guides and setting aside a whole evening to running. It was cool when a bard in highpass-hold ran me part of the way, some other veteran gave me a sword, and I chatted with some people while waiting for Kithikor to change to daylight.

Very memorable.... but at the same time if you break down the gameplay it makes no sense at all.

But it did mean that when I eventually got to Halas so I could level up with my friends Barb the zone had a sense of community because it was really isolated.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #143 on: March 22, 2014, 09:24:59 AM

Having to do ALL that traveling meant you would have to "base" yourself for weeks at a time at one place, especially if you were a melee character who couldn't change their bind point. As a barb warrior, I'd have to spend at least an hour or more running to the place I expected to be the next night unless I was lucky enough to get some druid or wizard teleport. If I was running raids the next night, I'd have to run from wherever I'd been leveling the previous night to some place within about a 15-minute jog of the next night's raid. It did serve to give me the sense of "an adventurer based out of X" instead of just running through tailored linear tracks of mobs to bash for xp, gold and items.

On the other hand, it was a goddamn pain in my fucking ass that meant I'd lose an hour of sleep doing nothing but waiting on boats, shouting for teleports over zone-wide chats and avoiding mobs I couldn't kill in zones I wouldn't be hunting in for another 10 levels. I lost the sense that there was a WORLD going on out there, but fuck, I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT SHIT ANYMORE. I didn't have time for it then, but at least I could handle the lost sleep better. Fuck a bunch of that now. I firmly believe there's a way to maintain that worldliness without also making it a complete goddamn pain in the ass to get around. Allowing all characters to bind in certain quest hubs regardless of class, allowing all groups to teleport to each other's location regardless of class, providing fast travel options to places you've already been, these are all things that could have helped EQ tremendously.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #144 on: March 22, 2014, 10:19:14 AM

Or just include a "summon buddy" ability on a 1 hour timer.  My god the time that would have been saved...

I have never played WoW.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #145 on: March 25, 2012, 04:14:13 AM

I did the Freeport to Qeynos run as a noob, but nothing compares to the experience I had running Grobb to Qeynos as a level 6 troll to join my guild on a new server.

That's innothule - feerott - rathe mtns - lake rathe - south karana - north karana - west karana - Qeynos hills - as a KOS race with everything fully spawned and nobody killing it. I managed to get a bind at The Arena from some level 20 power gamers doing aviaks, but hell I was even KOS to aviaks from the start. And KOS to the Qeynos guards when I got there and found a level 12 person to bind me at the sewers.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #146 on: March 25, 2012, 12:34:51 PM

My boss from about 5 jobs ago got me into EQ in 2002.  Both of us played very casually and when I shifted into WoW at launch, he just stopped playing online games completely.

He recently posted on FB about trying P1999.  When I mentioned EQ going F2P he said he had tried it, but it was full of idiots and had too much content to try to learn.  So then he found P1999 and pretty much fell in love.  I wonder how many other people would pay to play EQ as it was?  I always see posts about wanting an EQ classic server, but there are legitimately people out there who want it. 

For all SOE's statements that they can't get the old code back and can't make a classic server work, then P1999 comes along and kinda does it for them. 
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #147 on: April 20, 2012, 04:22:23 PM

I got a new email from them today - promising all kinds of cool stuff if only I will please come back and subscribe to a recurring gold membership!

Look at the exciting things we can all get!

Upgrade to a 3, 6 or 12-month recurring Gold Membership and get:

Animated Armor Mercenary Contract
24 Slot Bag
Bottle of Adventure III (5)
Stack of Food (20)
Perfected Augmentation Distiller (5)
Bottle of Speed (5)
Consigned Complete Armor Bundle
Stack of Drink (20)

Upgrade to a 1-month recurring Gold Membership and get:
Stack of Food (20)
18-Slot Bag
Stack of Drink (20)

I know for people like myself who were on the fence about resubbing to EQ will find this is what just pushes us over the edge. I mean, look at that! A stack of food and a stack of drink!  why so serious?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: April 20, 2012, 04:45:10 PM

My magician farts in that general direction. 

I got that email, too.  It's bonkers.  It's like going to buy a cell phone and they try to upsell you a rock, too.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: April 28, 2012, 04:56:36 AM

Triple station cash, today only. (28/04)

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: March 07, 2013, 12:23:44 PM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #151 on: March 07, 2013, 01:38:58 PM

roflcopter

Too bad they can't even lie well anymore over there.

SOE believes it has not been out of touch when it comes to the free-to-play models in the EverQuest games. Georgeson told me that the team simply couldn't revisit the F2P matrices for EQ and EQII before now because it's been so busy with expansions and updates.

Really?  REALLY?!  You were just too busy?  Ohhhhh, I see.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: March 07, 2013, 01:48:50 PM

Depends on their development method and cycles.  I get the impression there aren't a ton of people left in dev on these projects. 

Regardless, I've had that spring-time itch to play EQ again, I'm trying my best to remember the good without reliving the reality. 

I need a new EQ Classic-esque world.  Not p1999, please.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #153 on: March 07, 2013, 02:01:45 PM

I did the Freeport to Qeynos run as a noob, but nothing compares to the experience I had running Grobb to Qeynos as a level 6 troll to join my guild on a new server.

That's innothule - feerott - rathe mtns - lake rathe - south karana - north karana - west karana - Qeynos hills - as a KOS race with everything fully spawned and nobody killing it. I managed to get a bind at The Arena from some level 20 power gamers doing aviaks, but hell I was even KOS to aviaks from the start. And KOS to the Qeynos guards when I got there and found a level 12 person to bind me at the sewers.

Heh, I totally remember this nonsense now. I hid in a cabin as a newb in Kithicor, before a skeleton walked through a wall and wrecked my shit. For a while I hunted at that temple complex near Innothule. I just kept myself bound in Freeport, but I would inevitably need to sell junk every now and then...so as I rogue I would just go to the Ogre town and sell from hiding. This made things very convenient for my groups as they didn't have to run all the way back...though I guess they never noticed I was taking an extra cut for myself...

Loved that game for a while but holy crap did the solo experience for a rogue suck - no group, no xp.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #154 on: March 07, 2013, 03:06:29 PM

A friend went back to EQ1 recently and was talking to me about it while I was playing Tera which highlighted the very worst parts of Tera and the very best parts of EQ in my mind. And all I ended up wanting to do was play FF11. Really wish they had not ruined that game with the epic only possible while grouped grind.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: March 07, 2013, 06:31:49 PM

I played for a couple of weeks recently.  With the addition of mercs you can solo very effectively - I even ran some dungeons solo for shits and giggles.  In the end though my crappy shaman at level 30 something was hitting for 15-20 while the merc was basically doing 90-95% of the killing.  Kind of takes all the fun out of it if your pet kills everything and the player alt+tabs to read teh internet.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #156 on: March 07, 2013, 09:56:30 PM

This made things very convenient for my groups as they didn't have to run all the way back...though I guess they never noticed I was taking an extra cut for myself...

That's awesome. Proper rogue.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #157 on: March 08, 2013, 04:24:01 AM

Did the same thing in LDoN too:

"Hey, let me do master loot - I have 2 Steins of Moggok, with CHA gems on them!"

*Pickpocket reasonably throughout entire dungeon run*
*Sell all loots, keep a minor extra cut for myself*

Though to be fair, I was mostly doing this because I was broke and could never earn money worth a damn in that game - the best I was ever able to do was solo-farm Velium in Crystal Caverns in Velius...had to do a lot of risky pulling.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: March 08, 2013, 05:33:43 AM

Logged into EQ2 and remembered why I didn't play despite it probably being my favorite game of all time. I'm stark naked, all my equipment is both out of date with two new expansions, but is still locked. Looked at the boards, those locks aren't going away. Uninstalled. Looks to me like they still want to keep it a glorified trial. It's a slightly better glorified trial, but they still don't "get it."

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #159 on: March 08, 2013, 06:47:18 AM

So was your equip locked because it was "too good" for a free account?  I forget how EQ2 locks work..

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: March 08, 2013, 09:54:53 PM

Correct, you're unable to equip gear above a certain quality level; I can't remember where they set the bar but raid-geared toons are always screwed.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: March 08, 2013, 10:42:58 PM

I haven't logged into EQ1 since around 2003ish. Any chance my chars are still around?  why so serious?
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: March 09, 2013, 02:57:51 AM

I haven't logged into EQ1 since around 2003ish. Any chance my chars are still around?  why so serious?

Quite probably but you'll have to find them if you weren't on one of the legacy servers that they dumped everyone on. And it's not as simple as it would seem as my server was Tarew Marr a beta server which got folded into Drinal which was a second or third wave server iirc.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: March 09, 2013, 05:47:38 AM

Edit: wrong Everquest  embarassed
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:37:59 AM by palmer_eldritch »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #164 on: March 09, 2013, 08:49:55 AM

Wouldn't even be worth trying to go back to EQ1 for me.  I destroyed or gave-away all the gear on all my characters and gave away the platinum to make sure I wouldn't go back.  Naked characters have no chance in that game.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: March 09, 2013, 11:18:24 AM

Quite probably but you'll have to find them if you weren't on one of the legacy servers that they dumped everyone on. And it's not as simple as it would seem as my server was Tarew Marr a beta server which got folded into Drinal which was a second or third wave server iirc.

the bigger problem is remembering my user/pass lol.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #166 on: March 10, 2013, 12:44:14 PM

I played for a couple months last year.  I ended up 3 boxing and plopping some money on SC when it was triple points.  It was fun for while it lasted, but the social aspect was really the biggest draw of the game for me, and I'm an antisocial bastard.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:33 PM

So when are those race/class restriction removals supposed to go into effect? 'Cause as of right now, they're still in.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #168 on: March 12, 2013, 04:33:46 PM

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: March 12, 2013, 05:36:53 PM

It's like having two pics of Picard double facepalming.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #170 on: March 12, 2013, 05:38:04 PM

He had to go. His people needed him.   why so serious?

Better there than elsewhere, IMO.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #171 on: March 12, 2013, 06:03:45 PM

I was hoping for a Kickstarter MMORPG from him, personally why so serious?
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #172 on: March 12, 2013, 06:33:30 PM

Hell I'd plop 10 bucks on that if the reward was getting to kick him in the balls.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: March 13, 2013, 01:12:03 AM

I installed it and am having trouble getting a widescreen 16x10 resolution out of it. For some reason the config program only recognizes old crt style resolutions. Anyone know a fix?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #174 on: March 13, 2013, 08:35:39 AM

Play a game made THIS century?  why so serious?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Everquest going f2p  
Jump to: