Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:48:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: "No used games on the next XBox". Take with huge grain of salt. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "No used games on the next XBox". Take with huge grain of salt.  (Read 14111 times)
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 07:55:15 AM

If you own an Xbox, and don't have it connected to your network, you're doing it wrong. My family leverages every bit of the Xbox for entertainment value. If I want to play music that isn't on vinyl, I run it through the Xbox into the stereo via Windows Media Center. TV? With the fuckload of apps available for the Xbox now, we have Netflix, HuluPlus, and a bunch of other options to explore.

If I want to see stuff that HuluPlus blocks as "PC Only," I can use PlayOn to get those shows on my TV. I can also get The Daily Show this way, which is nice.

The Xbox is really competitive with the Roku now, especially given that it has games. Kinect is also actually useful for voice commands and the version of Fruit Ninja for Kinect kicks ass.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 07:58:13 AM

If you own an Xbox, and don't have it connected to your network, you're doing it wrong.
Nope.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 08:54:59 AM

Broadband penetration still largely sucks for a big chunk of the country, so things like Roku mean little to them... including hooking ones XBox up to the internet.

beer geek.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 09:39:29 AM

Broadband penetration still largely sucks for a big chunk of the country, so things like Roku mean little to them... including hooking ones XBox up to the internet.
This is the point I was making a page ago about that survey being bullshit.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 09:52:23 AM

Broadband penetration is great for me, it was impossible to watch on dial-up.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 10:29:55 AM

I'm surprised you guys think they care about the small amount of people with no Internets or non-boardband. I bet this thing comes bundled with AOL.

If you own an Xbox, and don't have it connected to your network, you're doing it wrong. My family leverages every bit of the Xbox for entertainment value. If I want to play music that isn't on vinyl, I run it through the Xbox into the stereo via Windows Media Center. TV? With the fuckload of apps available for the Xbox now, we have Netflix, HuluPlus, and a bunch of other options to explore.

If I want to see stuff that HuluPlus blocks as "PC Only," I can use PlayOn to get those shows on my TV. I can also get The Daily Show this way, which is nice.

The Xbox is really competitive with the Roku now, especially given that it has games. Kinect is also actually useful for voice commands and the version of Fruit Ninja for Kinect kicks ass.

Same with the PS3.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:32:02 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 11:11:01 AM

I'm surprised you guys think they care about the small amount of people with no Internets or non-boardband.
It's all about the 1% these days.

I do as Slack does, but with the PC. It has bluray!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 05:28:51 PM

Same with the PS3.

Know why you cater to the 1%? 

They have all the money.  Catering to the 99% is just a long slow road to the poorhouse.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012, 05:41:35 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true, for now. But if they do it, they'll simultaneously kill their tie ratio and any benefits from the long tail.

People don't make a decision between Roku or an Xbox 360 :) The 360 is great and has become Microsoft's strongest entrant into the living room since they bought WebTV. But it's premise is to offer ancillary services to enhance a gamer's experience with the TV. Roku (and Apple TV and Boxee) cater to a different market.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 05:57:59 PM

Same with the PS3.

They have all the money.  Catering to the 99% is just a long slow road to the poorhouse.

CLASS WAR!

I'm surprised this gen of consoles haven't at least had a replacement for them announced.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 08:00:36 PM

Same with the PS3.

Aiming at the bottom of the pyramid (as it is called) means you have a lot more people, but they have less cash. It can be a very profitable group to target, but you have to plan accordingly.

Everyone goes after the 1%.

I distrusted the survey more on the grounds it seemed to be more about that company's customers than a broad population survey. At least that was how I saw it at a glance.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 08:32:07 PM

Make a silly comment and everyone gets all serious.  Jesus y'all are old.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 05:38:43 AM

Affordable, available Broadband penetration still largely sucks for a big chunk of the country world, so things like Roku mean little to them... including hooking ones XBox up to the internet.

Fixed. 

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 07:45:53 AM

I'm surprised this gen of consoles haven't at least had a replacement for them announced.

No need. The PS3 has that whole "we have a 10-year lifecycle" thing going for it, has finally gotten itself to an affordable price point, and Blu-Ray has killed both HD-DVD and is supplanting DVD as the movie format of choice. Granted, Sony as a whole doesn't seem to be doing all that well and the PSN hacking scandal probably has them bleeding from the corporate anus, but there's no reason to announce anything that won't release until 2014 anyway. It's only entered its sixth year in release. The 360 is only in its seventh year, has had a freshening up with the somewhat successful release of the Kinect (it wasn't an unmitigated disaster like I thought and it seems to be talked about more than the Move), and is getting major support from non-game media sources. Oh and it doesn't have a huge, horrible security PR scandal hanging around its neck (yet). Again, I expect some announcements next year, but not this one.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 09:19:59 AM

The number that get any sort of reliable/any broadband is probably well north of 1%. Add in lack of education/clarity of what you can do with such and/or plain old "I don't give a shit."

Us forum readers/gamers are a minority of the general audience.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:24:51 AM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 06:28:18 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true, for now. But if they do it, they'll simultaneously kill their tie ratio and any benefits from the long tail.

People don't make a decision between Roku or an Xbox 360 :) The 360 is great and has become Microsoft's strongest entrant into the living room since they bought WebTV. But it's premise is to offer ancillary services to enhance a gamer's experience with the TV. Roku (and Apple TV and Boxee) cater to a different market.

I guess I should have made my point in a different way. For me, the 360 beats the Boxee Box or the Roku. I already have one. I want fewer, not more boxes in my entertainment center thing, and MS has managed to get enough app support that I have a Boxee that also plays games.

I can see how a non-gamer wouldn't see the value in an Xbox 360. I can also see how a fish doesn't need a bicycle.  why so serious?

MS has done a great job of finally getting the Xbox to the point where it can truly be an all-in-one entertainment box (minus BluRay), and I think it's pretty darn cool. It has me very surprised, because my first self-purchased console was the original PS. Sony lost me on the PS3 price point. MS got me as an initial customer because I wanted to play stuff like KOTOR and Jade Empire. At one point, the Xbox was my "RPG console" and the PS2 was "everything else."

I waited until well after launch to get a 360 (I think I got mine in late 2008/early 2009), so I've managed to enjoy it while a steady stream of improvements were in the works/coming to fruition.

Now if they'd just figure out a way to let my damn MS points zero out without some strategic buying of shit + points loading, I'd be 100% happy.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 07:45:24 PM

Rumour is that MS points will be going and your account will just show the $ amount you have. But hey: rumour.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #52 on: February 01, 2012, 04:48:14 AM

Rumour from where? The schoolyard? Friend of a friend? A guy down the pub? Your mum?

seriously, you know better than that.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 01, 2012, 05:47:13 AM

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #54 on: February 01, 2012, 06:15:20 PM

Better. Thank you.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 02, 2012, 02:44:38 AM

I wonder how many of those xboxen not connected to the internet are intentionally done that way. You don't connect a rooted xbox full of pirated software to the network.

In any case they've got a fairly long operational life so I'm sure they're planning for the possibility of digital distribution and online verification. And after all, if they invalidate second hand games that removes one competitive advantage from retail and makes online distribution a much better deal, plus keeps the publishers happy.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #56 on: February 02, 2012, 04:32:13 AM

I wonder how many of those xboxen not connected to the internet are intentionally done that way. You don't connect a rooted xbox full of pirated software to the network.
Mine hasn't been connected for an extended period of time for the last 4-5 years, except for when the few games I have bought for it demanded a newer version of the dashboard or whatever it is they call that shit UI thingy. Not rooted, hacked, modified or filled with pirated software, I just don't see the need.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 02, 2012, 04:56:34 AM

And I know 2-3 people who have xboxes that will never be connected to the internet for the reason I mentioned. It would be really fascinating to know how many there are, but on a survey they are only going to show up as "not connected to the internet".

- Simond
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #58 on: February 02, 2012, 03:42:53 PM

In any case they've got a fairly long operational life so I'm sure they're planning for the possibility of digital distribution and online verification. And after all, if they invalidate second hand games that removes one competitive advantage from retail and makes online distribution a much better deal, plus keeps the publishers happy.

Look, this is obviously personal/non-empirical (I can't think of the word I want to use) evidence, but I work with a lot of kids/teens, and at first it's really surprising just how many of them have consoles that aren't connected to any form of network, even though many/most of them have some form of broadband at home. When you see similar numbers year after year, you stop being surprised how many aren't connected. (and not chipped consoles, either).

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: February 02, 2012, 04:11:57 PM

Look, this is obviously personal/non-empirical (I can't think of the word I want to use)

Anecdotal.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I use our XBox for Netflix on occasion, but the streaming invariably goes to Crap(tm) Quality at some point in the show, so I've been doing it less and less.  And so XBox Live is about one month from being cancelled - I got it for multiplayer Forza, but it turns out that I am apparently the worst race car driver in the world, so bah, I'll play against the computer where I have a chance.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 02, 2012, 04:22:41 PM

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to suggest that there aren't many legitimate xboxen not connected to the net. It's just a personal curiosity.

Then again not all PC's are attached to the internet or a decent connection and that didn't stop Ubisoft being asses and making a connection required. And that's for games now, with a platform expected to launch in the future and have a multi-year lifetime I can see them building the functionality into the hardware.

- Simond
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #61 on: February 02, 2012, 05:23:56 PM

Anecdotal.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Thank you!

I was wracking my brain for that for ages. Even asked a few other staff to help me think of it. First real day back at work (after 2 days of nonstop meetings). Brain not in work mode yet. Or used to being awake so early..

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #62 on: February 02, 2012, 05:28:55 PM

Just some further thought on this - I guess I happily tolerate it with Steam since I can install my stuff on pretty much any computer I like. We have 4 functional computers at home, and steam on all of them. Hell, I even have it installed here on my work laptop. There's no "I can't play my games on my wife's machine" and if my machine bricks, I can just reinstall it again without any phone calls or access issues.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 02, 2012, 06:32:07 PM

Out here it's easier to tolerate steam because there never was any real market in used PC games, the money was all in the console titles. Not entirely sure why: more cost conscious customers, higher volume and churn I guess, but I think that was part of the reason retail had lost interest in carrying a lot of PC titles and thus opened the market to steam.

In any case even if they implement the system I'd imagine they'd still allow distributors to choose if they buy into it. It's just that quite a few of them probably would.

- Simond
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: "No used games on the next XBox". Take with huge grain of salt.  
Jump to: