Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Repopulation: This Will End Well, I'm Sure 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Repopulation: This Will End Well, I'm Sure  (Read 16261 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: January 05, 2012, 06:13:48 PM

I didn't see this listed, so - The Repopulation.

An indie MMO developed by a small group looking to revolutionise the MMO genre through offering a grab bag of player favourite features. Set in a sci-fi universe that reminds me of the unreleased Citizen Zero MMO. Also meant to be more sandbox-y than theme park-y.

The pre-alpha video looks Tabula Rasa-ish but with a base building feature.

We'll see.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 06:23:53 PM

Haha, That looks absolutely horrible. I would probably play it.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 06:55:53 PM

I would play it even if it's terrible unless it's terribly crashy.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 08:53:04 AM

There is a time I would have been very excited at the prospect at least, but I've been burned too many times now.  If it turns out decent, I'll check it out.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:04:48 AM

When I see statements describing the game as a "hybrid approach between theme park and sandbox", I immediately assume that they either did neither well or ran out of money during development.  I guess it could be both.   why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 03:52:21 PM

Practically all "scifi" MMOs are just your standard fantasy MMOs with laser guns and less trees in the landscape. Because, holy shit, is it too much to ask for some actual scifi scenery? You know, large cities, building all over the damn place?

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 05:35:04 PM

Practically all "scifi" MMOs are just your standard fantasy MMOs with laser guns and less trees in the landscape. Because, holy shit, is it too much to ask for some actual scifi scenery? You know, large cities, building all over the damn place?

A sci fi set in a place like Deus Ex Human Revolution's cities would be admittedly sexy.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 06:03:19 PM

MxO's city was interesting to walk through, if both strangely empty and full of mobs just waiting to level gate you.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 06:23:30 PM

Edited dev chat for this...

Followup...

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 12:49:02 AM

QA-BOT: .Firkaan: will it be possible to lauch infants or other characters with catapults?
GL-Jeff: actually yes, but this may kill them.
QA-BOT: .roadhouse|ykz: will it be possible to throw a fetus at another player, making them think it is waterballoon until they wipe the blood off their face?
GL-Jeff: you're just gonna have to wait for the beta for that one.

I think the right response to that question is: "piss off you sick twat and get a vasectomy for the off chance a woman will ever let you touch her".
After all this time internet, you can still fill me with that odd mixture of disdain/despair.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 01:05:20 AM

It's all part of the rich tapestry of shite and shinola which is the history of mmos, and Games being at Steak.

And golf clubs.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 01:14:24 AM

When I see statements describing the game as a "hybrid approach between theme park and sandbox", I immediately assume that they either did neither well or ran out of money during development.  I guess it could be both.   why so serious?

Theme park + Sandbox = Terraria?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 02:58:15 PM

Two videos:

- City building/Structure placement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRfQvwAuesQ

- Item fitting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1hP0v7I84Y

You can sign up for Alpha Testing (planned start in June) on the official website.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 03:43:16 PM

It's all part of the rich tapestry of shite and shinola which is the history of mmos, and Games being at Steak.

Makes a good sig anyway. This and Lum's WWII Online irc are perma-saved on my desktop to this day.

Ah, the day I can't google fetapult will be the day I drop my ISP.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:45:19 PM by Redgiant »

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 07:47:46 AM

Two videos:

- City building/Structure placement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRfQvwAuesQ

- Item fitting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1hP0v7I84Y

You can sign up for Alpha Testing (planned start in June) on the official website.

Rather cool.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:26 AM

A sci fi set in a place like Deus Ex Human Revolution's cities would be admittedly sexy.

I had fun PvPing in Neocron for a while. No idea what happened to that game.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 11:19:16 AM

I had fun PvPing in Neocron for a while. No idea what happened to that game.

It's still around, though I doubt there's much of anyone still playing.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 04:20:24 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 08:30:33 PM

$25k to make Dawn in Space & they are just under half way to their goal already.  I foresee a lot of broken dreams in the near future.

As an unfunded indy paying for this out of our own pockets, it is really going to help us along and allow for us to deliver more content.  We are also looking at some 3rd party options to add even more customization for our characters such as hair options.  Here are some interesting links of some plugins/tools we might consider depending on where everything shakes out.

http://www.ephere.com/plugins/autodesk/max/ornatrix/
http://www.cyberradiance.com/hairfarm/

Hair options.  At least they are planning to spend their meagre funds wisely.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:38:21 PM by Sparky »
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 06:00:54 PM

I've no doubt they'll get their money on this.

And as much as I've laughed at Pathfinder and Embers of Caerus for their Kickstarters, at least The Repopulation is doing this to finish the title, not to create an investor demo.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 09:15:52 AM

$25k to make Dawn in Space & they are just under half way to their goal already.  I foresee a lot of broken dreams in the near future.

As an unfunded indy paying for this out of our own pockets, it is really going to help us along and allow for us to deliver more content.  We are also looking at some 3rd party options to add even more customization for our characters such as hair options.  Here are some interesting links of some plugins/tools we might consider depending on where everything shakes out.

Some one may want to tell them that's not realtime.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 02:15:44 PM

Some one may want to tell them that's not realtime.

I feel bad for anyone who tossed money in this sinkhole of incompetence.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 09:09:27 PM

QA-BOT: .Firkaan: will it be possible to lauch infants or other characters with catapults?
GL-Jeff: actually yes, but this may kill them.
QA-BOT: .roadhouse|ykz: will it be possible to throw a fetus at another player, making them think it is waterballoon until they wipe the blood off their face?
GL-Jeff: you're just gonna have to wait for the beta for that one.

I think the right response to that question is: "piss off you sick twat and get a vasectomy for the off chance a woman will ever let you touch her".
After all this time internet, you can still fill me with that odd mixture of disdain/despair.

That whole dev chat is people asking how much rape and fetus abuse will be in the game. It turned my stomach, and mine is cast iron.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 02:11:17 AM

NEKRO

So, The Repopulation is up for its second Kickstarter. Which it has achieved with 20 days to go. Because you only need $50k to implement the sandbox features of SWG and UO and release a beta in 2014.

In other Kickstarter MMO news, the Embers of Caerus volunteer team has collapsed, almost everyone is gone from Forsaken Studios (the developers) but the lead dev vows that EoC will continue (apparently on the grounds that they've got the lore written and now all they need is some programmers).

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:14 AM

NEKRO

So, The Repopulation is up for its second Kickstarter. Which it has achieved with 20 days to go. Because you only need $50k to implement the sandbox features of SWG and UO and release a beta in 2014.

In other Kickstarter MMO news, the Embers of Caerus volunteer team has collapsed, almost everyone is gone from Forsaken Studios (the developers) but the lead dev vows that EoC will continue (apparently on the grounds that they've got the lore written and now all they need is some programmers).

I tried watching the video but....my goodness the announcer didnt know if he wanted to have an english inflection or be the "In a world" guy.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 11:07:30 AM

I guess I can move EoC over to my list of failed Kickstarts. I'm sadder about Unwritten Passage, though.

Re: The Repopulation's budget, yeah, wallet too small for their stomach. But I like to point out that my three favorite sandbox MMGs (AC1, EVE, and FE) all cost under $20 mil to ship.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 05:55:32 PM

I had a chance to exchange words with one of their lead devs in a chat room not long ago. He actually impressed me with his honesty and realistic outlook for the game. That's quite an accomplishment since 99% of game developers (real/wannabe) that I have spoken with in the past were lying douchebags.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 12:35:08 PM

This is now available on Steam EA.  Looks...interesting.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/322300/
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 12:51:26 PM

I love the new early access tags. It lets me know when I should ignore something until it's done, interesting or not.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 01:53:15 AM

I am planning on NOT getting this until it's far more baked than this, but it's great to have a game that so explicitly aims to bring back all the Star Wars Galaxies goodness.

EDIT:
For what it's worth, considering it's Alpha/Early Access and that the budget is limited so I doubt it'll ever dliver half a quarter of what it promises, I compiled a few quotes I scavenged here and there from Dev posts in different places, to give some more info on what this game is supposed to be like.

• Everything is completely crafted. Creatures can be extracted to get resources and you can other resources in the game (such as ore, minerals, plants, water, etc). Each has a grade so they can be more rare depending on the difficulty of where you found them and a bit of luck.
  • Players can create and build non-instanced houses, cities and even nations.
  • The system is classless, supposedly like Ultima Online. Still, players will be able to be entertainers or storytellers and provide buff that way like in SWG.
  • The game's PvP is most similar to a cross between Dark Age of Camelot and Shadowbane. There is a hardcore rule set for those who prefer a more open PvP system (with looting and harsher rules), but on the Normal servers it is team based factional PvP with protected areas.
  • Where the Shadowbane-like portions come in is with regards to the Player Created Cities and sieges. There is a complex city and siege system in the contested areas which allows nations (guilds) to compete and ally with one another.
  • Hardcore server will have full loot PvP (although there will be craftable items to have a chance at making some items unstealable).
  • If you are familiar with the security setup of EvE it works in a similar fashion, but with a few wrinkles. Players will have a reasonable amount of safety in High Security areas (mostly major cities and encampments) and a varying level of reduced safety from there. Players committing infractions will be dealt with by eradication bots keeping the order. As the security levels drop, so do the penalties.
  • Players can also create Rogue Nations which work as their own faction, allowing them to ally or war with nations from each of the other factions. The nation vs. nation warfare system creates player driven gameplay without harshly punishing players for participating

Big meaty recap of everything.

Some peple I know are in the alpha and they say it doesn't suck, although the road to release is iinfinitely long.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:23:18 AM by Falconeer »

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 03:12:46 PM

I may plunk down some cash on this since I'm Destiny-free until next week.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 25, 2014, 02:47:45 AM

I'd love to see what people think. I've been following this off and on (mostly off) for awhile but haven't yet decided whether or not to give it a try. I did notice in the Steam screenshots that the player model looks...off somehow. I can't put my finger on it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Repopulation: This Will End Well, I'm Sure  
Jump to: