Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 11:51:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: UI Tips and Tricks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UI Tips and Tricks  (Read 5505 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: December 30, 2011, 12:58:28 PM

I thought a thread on this topic might be helpful, since we're dealing with a UI that makes Blood Bowl's UI look like it was designed by the gods.   why so serious?

And let's start...a video that shows you how to view your recipe list while also browsing the GTN for new recipes, because apparently it was too hard for BW to tag recipes you already knew.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:00:50 PM

There are still a few people out there that don't know that hitting CTRL-U twice will redraw the screen and restore missing people from the guild list.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 02:20:24 PM

There are still a few people out there that don't know that hitting CTRL-U twice will redraw the screen and restore missing people from the guild list.

That's because it usually doesn't. Nor does it correct the guild chat bug or he party chat bug where you can't see or participate in chat at all. Only thing that has ever solved any of those bugs for me is pressing CTRL-U once and then alt-f4 out of the game.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 02:21:14 PM

Works on the guild list for me every time; never seen the other bugs you mention.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 02:25:04 PM

Yeah, me either on Xp or Win7.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 02:27:11 PM

Weird. Ctrl U U works every time on the guild list for me as well. This is the first I've heard of it not working for anyone.

edit: And I've never seen those other bugs either.  Sounds like they must be related problems.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 02:31:48 PM

I've had the /g and /p not working bug, relogging fixed it for me and it only happened once that I can recall, though.

God Save the Horn Players
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 03:28:32 PM

Weird. Ctrl U U works every time on the guild list for me as well. This is the first I've heard of it not working for anyone.

edit: And I've never seen those other bugs either.  Sounds like they must be related problems.

It's an acknowledged bug but no idea what it is linked to. I keep getting the party chat bug but have never had the guild chat bug, for example. It's apparently been around a long time in the beta though so not expecting a fast fix... :-(
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 03:32:13 PM

Guild's always worked but I had bugged Party/Operations for a few days.  They're working again though for reasons beyond human understanding.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 11:15:43 PM

- If you hide the bottom center bar, the keybinds for it get disabled and any abilities you put there don't work (until you unhide it).

- The UI does recognize the difference between regular keyboard keys and numpad-keys, even if no indication of this is given when you keybind your ability bars.  You CAN bind the right bar to the numpad and the bottom or left to the regular numeric keys.

- I found it useful to completely remap all the keybinds, their defaults suck.  Self Target Modifier makes the ability you press work on yourself, and Focus Target Modifier makes it work on the focus target instead, but you have to hold these keys down while you activate, so the default bindings are too out of the way to function properly.  I made the Focus Target Modifier the ~ key, and the self target modifier the tab key.

- You can edit the chat window by right-clicking on the "General" or the "Other" tab above the chat window.  Enabling System Messages in the General window spams you with loot messages, but you can also see what your companions are saying (esp. droids).  Also can see what random NPC's are chatting about.

- You can find out what stats your companions are supposed to use by reading their codex entries.

- When the auction house sells your items, the Successful Sale email is sent right away but you have to wait for the cash for 1 hr.  Do not delete the email (the delete button is available) while you're waiting for the cash to get there.

- Don't forget to spend the commendation cash rather than credits, and before you buy blue mods / items off the auction house, check the commendation vendors; people re-list things.

- If you enable the map zoom feature, the zoom circle functions like the minimap (it shows all icons), so you can scan for vendors and bind points and quest markers in distant places.  You can also open the maps of different areas by double-clicking door / elevator / passageway icons, sort of like virtual travel.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 08:15:01 AM

- I found it useful to completely remap all the keybinds, their defaults suck.
Same, i can't quite imagine how this "default" would make it to the release without someone at the office going YOUR ALL MORANS -- it's so much more intuitive with mapping the 1-0 etc to the bottom bar and shift-1 etc to the 'main' bar ... it's not even funny.

edit: put the focus target under middle mouse button myself, found that more convenient than having to remember which key to hold down and which to press why so serious?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:20:42 AM by tmp »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 10:38:47 AM

- If you hide the bottom center bar, the keybinds for it get disabled and any abilities you put there don't work (until you unhide it).

- When the auction house sells your items, the Successful Sale email is sent right away but you have to wait for the cash for 1 hr.  Do not delete the email (the delete button is available) while you're waiting for the cash to get there.
If you play with an expanded companion bar, it also invalidates any hotkeys in the bar you expand it to. I keep mine expanded on the left (have to due to the companion bar bug that won't remember what I've disabled), and I use ~ to hide it to use non-essential hotkeys/buttons.

Never had an issue with deleting the non-cash email. Still get my cash an hour later.

It was listed in the sticky thread, but set up your group window like a raid window and make the health bars fat. Really nice, though I hate losing the portraits.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 10:54:41 AM

edit: put the focus target under middle mouse button myself, found that more convenient than having to remember which key to hold down and which to press why so serious?

Thanks for the idea! I've now put focus and self target on the next/previous page mouse buttons. Really useful to have that stuff on your mouse hand.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 03:00:01 PM

Yes I have mine on mb5.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 03:07:30 PM

Does everyone but me have a mouse with MOAR BUTANS? I have left click, right click, wheel. They serve me well.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 03:11:17 PM

I have quite ancient mouse with left, right button and wheel as well, but it has the middle button implemented as clicking the wheel itself.

Can't really recall seeing a mouse with just two buttons on PC in last... dunno, 10 years or so at least?
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 07:08:00 AM

I don't play with the companion bar extended - there's no need.  Most of the abilities are toggle on / toggle off, not push-to-use, anyway.  Still, I wish they would let us re-arrange the companion bar, or let us drag companion abilities to our regular bars.

I have a G15 keyboard, so left bar = programmable keys on the left side, center bar = 1-0, right bar = numpad.

The targeting is only semi-functional for me.  "Nearest enemy" and "target center of screen" work, "next enemy" doesn't.  Also, for some reason it keeps auto-picking the next target when I'm in melee but never picks the last standing mob, so I end up standing there like a fool while my companions finish off the mobs.

Unlike WoW, this game seems to recognize that mice may have more than 2 buttons, so if you have a gaming or programmable mouse, one option is to un-program your buttons and just map things to buttons 4-x on the mouse - the UI recognizes them.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 10:31:38 AM

Does everyone but me have a mouse with MOAR BUTANS? I have left click, right click, wheel. They serve me well.

I have left, right, wheel, front and back buttons. That's more than enough for me!

God Save the Horn Players
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: UI Tips and Tricks  
Jump to: