Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:06:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 86379 times)
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: December 04, 2012, 02:45:16 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #316 on: December 04, 2012, 02:52:46 PM

She's going to bend them!!!!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: December 04, 2012, 03:34:14 PM

They're just Image comics, not worth anything anyway.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: December 04, 2012, 03:36:09 PM

I believe they are Liefeld comics? which makes it geeky and ironic.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: December 04, 2012, 06:04:30 PM

Dear gods.  I just learned what I want for Christmas this year.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #320 on: December 04, 2012, 10:53:10 PM

Santa is between a man and his fantasy woman.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #321 on: December 05, 2012, 11:48:38 AM

Santa is between a man and his fantasy woman.

I don't think any men will be involved.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:55 AM

Santa's sometimes called an elf, though.  And they're not manly.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #323 on: December 05, 2012, 12:04:35 PM

Glad we share the same tastes.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: December 05, 2012, 12:08:33 PM

Santa's sometimes called an elf, though.  And they're not manly.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: December 05, 2012, 12:15:31 PM

How many colors of sports bras does she go through in one video?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #326 on: December 07, 2012, 06:42:49 PM

If you run a Kickstarter, we'll all pitch in.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: December 08, 2012, 04:35:43 PM

Enjoyed the video but found it kinda curious that her look didn't quite match the valley-girl diction. Not that I thought she was unpleasant to watch  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: June 20, 2013, 02:51:14 AM

Looks like Promethus 2 is going forward with a new writer, Jack Paglen (Transcendence).

http://www.prometheus2-movie.com/news/669

In the article, Lindelof explains why he isn't doing the next movie.  Here's a snip I found interesting.

"After the movie came out and discussions began about a possible sequel, I was already neck deep in writing and producing TOMORROWLAND with Brad Bird. I have found, unfortunately, that if I take on too many projects at one time, there is a higher probability of those projects sucking."

Apologies for the necro, but maybe there is hope for this franchise after all.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: June 20, 2013, 04:26:56 AM

Isn't Prometheus 2 just Alien?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #330 on: June 20, 2013, 04:52:57 AM

Only nowhere near as good.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: June 20, 2013, 06:04:33 AM

Isn't Prometheus 2 just Alien?

There is quite a bit of time between Prometheus and Alien. Prometheus 2093 to Alien 2179.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:09:08 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: June 20, 2013, 10:39:20 AM

Looks like Promethus 2 is going forward with a new writer, Jack Paglen (Transcendence).

http://www.prometheus2-movie.com/news/669

In the article, Lindelof explains why he isn't doing the next movie.  Here's a snip I found interesting.

"After the movie came out and discussions began about a possible sequel, I was already neck deep in writing and producing TOMORROWLAND with Brad Bird. I have found, unfortunately, that if I take on too many projects at one time, there is a higher probability of those projects sucking."

Apologies for the necro, but maybe there is hope for this franchise after all.

So what was he writing at the same time he was writing Prometheus?

Over and out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #333 on: June 20, 2013, 11:41:03 AM

A deposit slip?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: June 20, 2013, 02:25:13 PM

*snerk*

No, according to his own words, he spent a year solely re-writing the Promethus script.  He also said he told Ridley he  couldn't do Promethus 2 (Paradise) due to another project.  Ridley then said "I never asked you to."  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

According to him.

I realize I'm beating a dead horse here, but I really don't like this guy. 

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #335 on: June 20, 2013, 03:06:26 PM

That's because he's a bad writer. A bad writer who, by some profound accident of moviemaking industry culture and heirarchy, writes the exact sort of bad movie script that moviemakers go with or get stuck with, as the product of some sort of inexplicable perverse incentive. He should be writing no movies. Zero movies. There is absolutely no shortage of writers who will happily write movies without Lindeloffian Plot Holes and just generally be more accountable to and better at their job. You lose nothing by not having writers like him, but he's affixed himself to the top of the heap and as such is empowered to poop on movies which should be good and could be good if he had not been allowed to grace it with his reverse midas touch. He's presently the film industry's Metzen.

He's not just easy to dislike because he has a flippant attitude perpetually orbiting his being a complete shit writer, he's easy to dislike because it becomes profoundly more and more obvious when his greasy fingerprints are all over a movie plot. If you have watched Prometheus and Into Darkness and in both movies been like "wait why the fuck.." then it has already happened. You have developed a Lindelof allergy. You already hate his writing. 

And you got tons of aspiring writers who, to quote one I listened to recently, are stomped in the face by this shit: "It's maddening because movies I've worked on for many months of my life get bulldozed by studio execs for plot holes significantly smaller than this, but writers at the level of Lindelof and K/O are never questioned. It's maddening when you are told you're shit at your job and then someone else is praised for being worse at it."

Literally because I discovered Lindelof was a writer for ST:ID, I made sure to slam down a bunch of alcohol before I watched it. I then termed it the movie's Lindelof Quotient. Defined as: how much alcohol you have to put down to be able to 'turn your brain off' and watch a movie without being taken out of it by niggling, stacking, persistent questions, really bad lines or awkward turns, unimaginitive plot holes, baldly exploitative scenes, and other things. Into Darkness was way up there for me, two long islands and add a vodka tonic if you follow trek lore. Prometheus was pounding down half a bottle of glenmorangie. Some record holders taking the heat off of lindy may include Transformers 2, which may hypothetically require a solid bottle of wood grain alcohol, followed by punching yourself in the eyes a hundred times just in case the alcohol poisoning hasn't blinded you fast enough.

yes i am mad. mad about lindelof. it is a pre-emptive madness, before he gets his grubby mitts on star wars and i go stark raving lunatic.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #336 on: June 20, 2013, 03:13:15 PM

I eagerly anticipate the colossal butthurt when Lindeloff gets his mitts on Star Wars - or I would if I didn't know about the massive shit Lucas took all over the brand with the prequels.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: June 20, 2013, 03:15:52 PM

....frustrated rant....

Your spittle is showing. Hehe

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #338 on: June 20, 2013, 03:26:17 PM

FRAGH. SPLATGHFRN. ARGHTH. I AM SO MAD.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #339 on: June 20, 2013, 03:28:11 PM

DO YOU PEOPLE EVEN REALIZE HOW LITTLE SENSE BATTLETECH WARFARE MAKES, I'LL KILL YOU
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: June 20, 2013, 05:51:26 PM

Like it goes from 99% to 100%?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: June 20, 2013, 06:00:54 PM

I eagerly anticipate the colossal butthurt when Lindeloff gets his mitts on Star Wars - or I would if I didn't know about the massive shit Lucas took all over the brand with the prequels.

Yeah, it's hard to get a proper nerdrage going when Lucas already took the franchise to shit town. Lindeloft will just keep the shit alive.  awesome, for real

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #342 on: June 20, 2013, 06:20:58 PM

Yeah, it's hard to get a proper nerdrage going when Lucas already took the franchise to shit town. Lindeloft will just keep the shit alive.  awesome, for real

I think you're forgetting Lindelof would have the entire EU to play with.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: June 20, 2013, 07:10:09 PM

Damon Lindelof on NRP

"When I was a kid there were these books called the Encyclopedia Brown Mysteries. Essentially it was a boy detective who worked out of his garage, and the boys in the neighborhood would come and say, 'Hey, my bike got stolen, my piggy bank got broken into, will you solve the case, Encyclopedia Brown?' It would be about a five- or six-page story, and there would be some sort of clue in there that gave away the answer. And then you would flip to the back of the book and see if you were right. I would read the story and immediately flip to the back of the book even if I hadn't guessed it, and my dad saw me doing this and he ripped out the answers on all my Encyclopedia Brown books. So I would go to him and I'd say, 'OK, I solved the case, I think that I know what it is now.' And he'd go, 'Oh I threw those away.' ... I guess I could've walked into any bookstore and just pulled another copy off the shelf, but that was less interesting to me than basically sitting with my own theory."

So because of some mildly questionable parenting by his dad, he not only thinks it's valid to just throw up his hands and say "It's a big mystery!!!" -- it's his preferred ending!   Ohhhhh, I see.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: June 20, 2013, 08:46:21 PM

In summary, Prometheus 2 might be good, but Brad Bird's next movie will only be "meh."

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: June 21, 2013, 06:05:16 AM

Damon Lindelof on NRP

"When I was a kid there were these books called the Encyclopedia Brown Mysteries. Essentially it was a boy detective who worked out of his garage, and the boys in the neighborhood would come and say, 'Hey, my bike got stolen, my piggy bank got broken into, will you solve the case, Encyclopedia Brown?' It would be about a five- or six-page story, and there would be some sort of clue in there that gave away the answer. And then you would flip to the back of the book and see if you were right. I would read the story and immediately flip to the back of the book even if I hadn't guessed it, and my dad saw me doing this and he ripped out the answers on all my Encyclopedia Brown books. So I would go to him and I'd say, 'OK, I solved the case, I think that I know what it is now.' And he'd go, 'Oh I threw those away.' ... I guess I could've walked into any bookstore and just pulled another copy off the shelf, but that was less interesting to me than basically sitting with my own theory."

So because of some mildly questionable parenting by his dad, he not only thinks it's valid to just throw up his hands and say "It's a big mystery!!!" -- it's his preferred ending!   Ohhhhh, I see.

That does seem to explain a lot.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: June 21, 2013, 06:27:55 AM

I still think there's a good film in Prometheus. I'm expecting the traditional better-after-the-fact Director's Cut to show up within a year or so; there's plenty that editing can do to save some of the stupid, and I expect there's plenty of footage we haven't seen. Scott isn't exactly a parsimonious director.

That being said, Lindelof is becoming more and more of a problem. I'm deeply concerned that Brad Bird is working with him, now. Star Trek: Into Darkness was so abysmally fuck-stupid it made Prometheus seem like a breathtaking work of absolute genius in comparison. But that's possibly because of the competition Bob Orci represented to Lindelof in the 'Who Hates Science More?' writing stakes.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #347 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14:39 AM

Damon Lindelof on NRP

That does seem to explain a lot.

It sure as shit explains why every goddamn character on Lost had serious daddy issues.

schild
Administrator

Reply #348 on: May 04, 2017, 01:38:34 PM

In anticipation of the new Aliens - I've rewatched all of it, and I'm now on Prometheus.

This movie is far and away the best in the series. In fact, watching them in release order really shows how incredibly poorly the old movies aged. Aliens was way worse than I remember. Alien 3 and Resurrection were essentially garbage. Alien was the best of the original 4 and still... not very good. undecided
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: May 04, 2017, 02:32:56 PM

I really liked Prometheus. But I like plodding thought movies.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus  
Jump to: