Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:34:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Lovers, Fighters, and Companions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lovers, Fighters, and Companions  (Read 23261 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: December 19, 2011, 01:40:51 PM

Companions are awesome.  This should be without question.  Although I still just have Kaliyo and my ship droid, looking ahead for the career of my IA, I don't really see myself using anyone else other than Kaliyo.  I mean, she tanks, I heal and DPS.  While I'm going to get a couple more tank companions (SCORPIO, Dr. Lokin-beast mode), I fail to see the point in investing in multiple companions.  So everyone else is going to be craft-bitches as far as I can see.  I just don't see myself using dedicated DPS companions, unless I just happen to find a 2-man quest/dungeon and the person I group with just happens to also be a tank.

Or am I wrong and I'm completely missing something?  huh

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 01:44:13 PM

They all have personal storyline/quest stuff you unlock by getting them to certain levels of affection, for one thing. Said quests give rewards; I got a very nice implant for hitting a particular threshold with Kira.

EDIT: You might want to spoiler that bit about the good doctor.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:44:50 PM

Well, Warrior's companion for the first 16 levels is strictly DPS, so there will be plenty of temptation to try someone with Healing when they come available. Other than that, if it works the way I suspect, you'll still have the option of grabbing companions to do their individual plotlines.

Tell us those who played in the Beta: do the companion plotlines actually involve seperate questlines that you go out and do, or is it all strictly conversations on the ship?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 01:46:10 PM

Companions are awesome.  This should be without question.  Although I still just have Kaliyo and my ship droid, looking ahead for the career of my IA, I don't really see myself using anyone else other than Kaliyo.  I mean, she tanks, I heal and DPS.  While I'm going to get a couple more tank companions (SCORPIO), I fail to see the point in investing in multiple companions.  So everyone else is going to be craft-bitches as far as I can see.  I just don't see myself using dedicated DPS companions, unless I just happen to find a 2-man quest/dungeon and the person I group with just happens to also be a tank.

Or am I wrong and I'm completely missing something?  huh

That's personal preference, right there.

Healers have the luxury of switching out companions if they feel like it moreso than the other types, from what I can see. If I'm killing a bunch of scrub crap on normal quests, I'm totally going to have a DPS pet out instead, probably. And I might get along better with companion A than companion B (Qyzen and my sage are starting to come to an Understanding, but she's way too selfless and humble for his tastes generally, for example). Plus sometimes you just want something different.

Nothing's stopping you from just using Kaliyo forever, of course, but I am the exact opposite of you. I fail to see the point in limiting yourself to just one, forever. Personal preference.  Ohhhhh, I see.

God Save the Horn Players
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 01:46:13 PM

Is a companion's affection purely on a scale of 0 - 10000?  Or once you hit 10000 does it go up to a new tier?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 01:48:25 PM

Nothing's stopping you from just using Kaliyo forever, of course, but I am the exact opposite of you. I fail to see the point in limiting yourself to just one, forever. Personal preference.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Don't get me wrong, I 'want' to use my other companions...maybe I'm just locked into the whole 'role' thing too much and need to branch out, once I get some more 'real' companions.  (Sorry, ship Droid, I built you a whole suit of armor, but you still suck :P)

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 01:50:59 PM

The tiers are within that 10k afaik, how gift giving works:

Tier 1 0-1999
Tier 2 2000-3999
Tier 3 4000-5999
Tier 4 6000-7999
Tier 5 8000+

(I might not have that exactly right but close enough for the explanation.) Gifts come in 5 tiers. You get full value for a gift of your current tier or higher. A gift one tier below your current tier is only 50% effective; anything below that is 0.

Companions also have certain categories they like and certain ones they are indifferent to. If they're indifferent the gift does nothing. NOTE: Your ship droid is indifferent to everything; do not waste gifts on him, you cannot raise his affection.

The actual quest conversation stuff is gated both with affection levels (more granular than those tiers) and sometimes by main story quest progress. For example, I had Kira at something like 3000 affection and she wasn't talking to me, until I hit a certain point in the main quest; once that happened we had like 4 conversations in a row due to how high her affection had gotten in the meantime.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 01:54:34 PM

I wish I could go with mr. roboto (not the protocol droid) on my tank-spec trooper, but alas I am glued to the only healer-spec companion (Dorne) TF2 heavy/medic style. I tried to give cat-dude a try, but above level 30 shit gets annoying fast... going with one of the tank companions is even worse. Dual spec needs to get implemented yesterday!  awesome, for real

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 01:55:27 PM

Tier 1 0-1999
Tier 2 2000-3999
Tier 3 4000-5999
Tier 4 6000-7999
Tier 5 8000+

(I might not have that exactly right but close enough for the explanation.) Gifts come in 5 tiers. You get full value for a gift of your current tier or higher. A gift one tier below your current tier is only 50% effective; anything below that is 0.

Companions also have certain categories they like and certain ones they are indifferent to. If they're indifferent the gift does nothing. NOTE: Your ship droid is indifferent to everything; do not waste gifts on him, you cannot raise his affection.

The actual quest conversation stuff is gated both with affection levels (more granular than those tiers) and sometimes by main story quest progress. For example, I had Kira at something like 3000 affection and she wasn't talking to me, until I hit a certain point in the main quest; once that happened we had like 4 conversations in a row due to how high her affection had gotten in the meantime.

Thank you for this :)

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 02:05:14 PM

Don't get me wrong, I 'want' to use my other companions...maybe I'm just locked into the whole 'role' thing too much and need to branch out, once I get some more 'real' companions.  (Sorry, ship Droid, I built you a whole suit of armor, but you still suck :P)

Since you're heal specced, yes, you are too locked in and should try branching out once you get more real companions. The ship droid does suck, but he tells you several times he's not REALLY built for fighting. Perhaps you should take him at his word.  Ohhhhh, I see.

God Save the Horn Players
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 02:09:26 PM

I whip out the ship droid in lieu of channel-healing myself between combats.  This way I dont have to stop to heal.  Just hit the swap button and run.  Tis a bit catass though I know, but I imagine it'd come in handy for timed missions or when you're trying to beat respawns.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 02:22:33 PM

I whip out the ship droid in lieu of channel-healing myself between combats.  This way I dont have to stop to heal.  Just hit the swap button and run.  Tis a bit catass though I know, but I imagine it'd come in handy for timed missions or when you're trying to beat respawns.

Facepalm

I had to think hard on which smily summed up my feelings on that.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 02:53:33 PM

Tell us those who played in the Beta: do the companion plotlines actually involve seperate questlines that you go out and do, or is it all strictly conversations on the ship?

Depends on the companion... but yes there are some actual quest lines tied to your companions.

Ghambit, that doesn't seem any more efficient then just using your recharge ability or whatever.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 03:48:24 PM

Facepalm

I had to think hard on which smily summed up my feelings on that.
      DRILLING AND MANLINESS
   /
 O-  Facepalm
   \
      this guy looks legit
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 03:52:29 PM

I love Mako as my healing companion.  I love Blizz more though.  Unfortunately, playing as a DPS BH, Blizz and I get totally owned.  I'm pretty much stuck with Mako to make things about right for leveling.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 03:53:00 PM

Tier 1 0-1999
Tier 2 2000-3999
Tier 3 4000-5999
Tier 4 6000-7999
Tier 5 8000+

Thanks! 

But shit, I should have saved those tier 5 gifts I acquired.  Oh well, I imagine by the end that will be all you are getting anyways.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 04:10:58 PM

Make sure you dont waste tier 2 gifts before you actually GET to tier 2.  The affection gain is minimal if you spend the extra 400 creds between tier 1 and 2.  Kaliyo gives me +96 for a 200cred t1 weapon and +104 for a 600cred t2 weapon.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 04:19:36 PM

Keep in mind item quality factors into it as well, so make sure you are comparing greens to greens, or whatever.

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 06:29:27 PM

Are you guys using credits to buy companion gifts or grinding them out through crafting/forage skills like diplomacy?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 06:40:48 PM

Mostly Underworld Trading for me.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 07:07:14 PM

I just made an alt to farm more tradeskill items... Course now, I'm enjoying playing that alt too.... GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 07:07:53 PM

I've only used underworld trading stuff. I doubt that giving Khem more gear makes him happier. I just play the doucher inquisitor and that seems to please him.

I would imagine that shit changes once I get past the teens.

I just made an alt to farm more tradeskill items... Course now, I'm enjoying playing that alt too.... GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

I did not realize that you could go back to the fleet and train up goddamn crew skills before you could be sent there by the storyline. I was playing with Lant the other day, and she mentioned that she'd trained the crew skills at something like lv 2.

It's too bad that we're playing Empire, because I've done Jedi Knight to 9 and I could easily make him my crafting gimp.

Or am I having a Slack moment?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:11:16 PM by CmdrSlack »

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 06:44:28 AM

I've got Mako all worked up, but she popped her mission on me around lvl 20 and it's a level 30 mission iirc. So I'll just be getting around to it as I wrap up Nar Shaddaa (I'm about 27 and all that's left is heroics and bonus).

Not sure I'll use another, since my tanky ass needs a healbot. Maybe with a good dps pet or bouncing aggro back and forth with blizz I could get by with just healing between fights. I had really good results grouping with a Jugger, but then...we did have Mako. Almost wish they gave out two healing companions, especially to non-healing ACs. Good idea for future content publish.

I mean, with all they've talked about their metrics, they've got to see every PT using Mako, right?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 06:50:44 AM

I really hate how I'm level 25 and I still only have Mako and my ship droid.  I need more crafting slaves.

Also I can't wait for Blizz.  I want to play a healer, but I need a tank companion to do so.  Once you get a vehicle, getting around is so much more enjoyable.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 07:12:40 AM

I really hate how I'm level 25 and I still only have Mako and my ship droid.  I need more crafting slaves.

Also I can't wait for Blizz.  I want to play a healer, but I need a tank companion to do so.  Once you get a vehicle, getting around is so much more enjoyable.

They didn't stagger the companions very evenly.  They are all dependent on your personal story line but different classes get companions earlier than others.  Some will have 3 by level 30 and others will only have 1.

I usually don't even have a companion out though, mostly they are off running missions.  It is annoying when I need one and have to wait for the mission to finish first though.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 07:42:16 AM

My Jedi Knight had 3 by 18, and I think I actually got the third a couple levels before that.

Technically, I don't count the ship droid as a companion. You can't adventure with him, he's basically just a butler.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:49:24 AM by Sky »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 07:47:58 AM

So, question. Are all of the companions preordained, or do we at some point get to pick and choose companions from a lot of them?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 07:54:13 AM

So, question. Are all of the companions preordained, or do we at some point get to pick and choose companions from a lot of them?

Preordained by class. They're all related to your class plot I believe.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 08:03:17 AM

So you just get what you get. No picking and choosing. That's kind of a let down, but I understand.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 08:21:45 AM

I mentioned this in guild chat but it's so amusing to me I'll post it here for general consumption.

If you hit Rank 2 social you can buy your female companion (or yourself if you're a light armor class w/ a female avatar) a set of Slave Girl clothes in Nar Shadda.  These are orange, totally moddable and only 300 credits for each slot. (But come with no mods in their slots)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 08:26:30 AM

I mentioned this in guild chat but it's so amusing to me I'll post it here for general consumption.

If you hit Rank 2 social you can buy your female companion (or yourself if you're a light armor class w/ a female avatar) a set of Slave Girl clothes in Nar Shadda.  These are orange, totally moddable and only 300 credits for each slot. (But come with no mods in their slots)

I shall fill them with delight and joyfulness.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 08:37:23 AM

If you hit Rank 2 social
I need to group more. That's a long climb for someone who doesn't group regularly. Basically you need to do flashpoints, as most heroics don't have enough to get much out of.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 08:50:11 AM

If you hit Rank 2 social
I need to group more. That's a long climb for someone who doesn't group regularly. Basically you need to do flashpoints, as most heroics don't have enough to get much out of.

As soon as the flashpoints don't have rape-you-in-the-face four horseman fights, I'll be all up ons.  That fight in Mandalorian Raiders though.. ACK!

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 08:56:29 AM

I can't figure out why the first companion for some classes doesn't offer a healing or tanking option and why the second companion doesn't offer whichever the first one didn't. DPS-only companions are a huge pain in the ass; you need to rest for a couple seconds after each fight.

It seems like this would be an obvious design win.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 20, 2011, 08:58:47 AM

I kinda wish they'd kept the companions and their roles separate, so that I could use the companion I like the most and have them perform the role I need, rather than adventuring with the companion that's most beneficial to my chosen spec. I assume it wasn't done this way because of gearing issues or something else I'm not seeing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Lovers, Fighters, and Companions  
Jump to: