Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:16:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Lovers, Fighters, and Companions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lovers, Fighters, and Companions  (Read 23359 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 20, 2011, 08:59:41 AM

I can't figure out why the first companion for some classes doesn't offer a healing or tanking option and why the second companion doesn't offer whichever the first one didn't. DPS-only companions are a huge pain in the ass; you need to rest for a couple seconds after each fight.

It seems like this would be an obvious design win.

The ship droid is a heal-bot.  You can't outfit it with weapons, but if you equip it with some nice +Aim gear, he can heal alright through trash and stuff.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 20, 2011, 09:10:26 AM

If you hit Rank 2 social
I need to group more. That's a long climb for someone who doesn't group regularly. Basically you need to do flashpoints, as most heroics don't have enough to get much out of.

Do you get social points for PvP?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 20, 2011, 09:18:59 AM

The ship droid is a heal-bot.  You can't outfit it with weapons, but if you equip it with some nice +Aim gear, he can heal alright through trash and stuff.
Oh? Didn't realize I could take him. I guess that might be nice for soloing heroic areas, but for grinding out quests and whatnot you'd probably go faster with a DPS companion. Obviously someone like Mako who can simultaneously DPS and heal would be ideal.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38 on: December 20, 2011, 09:23:09 AM

I did better with Vette than I did with the HealBot doing elite groups for Hadra's defeat quest. The heals weren't enough to overcome the damage and his added dps is well.. not.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39 on: December 20, 2011, 09:27:19 AM

Obviously someone like Mako who can simultaneously DPS and heal would be ideal.
I keep wanting to turn her into a straight healbot, but she does pretty good at cleaning up the extra mobs after I've softened everything with a few AEs.
Do you get social points for PvP?
Group conversations, so no.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 20, 2011, 10:22:49 AM

I need to group more. That's a long climb for someone who doesn't group regularly. Basically you need to do flashpoints, as most heroics don't have enough to get much out of.
If people don't mind slumming it, I'm happy to run lowbie instances.  You should still get social and dark/light points.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #41 on: December 20, 2011, 10:41:28 AM

I'll run any dungeon, any time.  I like them and want to see more of 'em.

Just ran the A-whatever one with Tannhauser yesterday.  Quite the snore fest other than the big animal that kicked my ass over a wall into a group of mobs;  So watch out for that.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #42 on: December 20, 2011, 11:07:06 AM

Yeah, I haven't done a single flashpoint yet, but I'll do any of them, even if I've possibly out-levelled them. I just want to play through some with guild folks. I've had two non-horrible PUGs so far, but who knows when that luck will run out.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 20, 2011, 11:20:00 AM

I'll run any dungeon, any time.  I like them and want to see more of 'em.
Ditto. Only one I would be hesitant to run would be the Mandalorians, because of the bugged treasure chest (the chest for the 4 republic heroes didn't open for us).

But if I'm on, feel free to ask me. The more tanking experience I can get before the operations, the better! I've got a five day weekend coming up, so if I'm on, I'm not engaged in family stuff :) I hope to catass through at least Thurs and Fri  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Starting Wed night, I'm calling for a BC flashpoint blitz!

Is there any penalty to taking lowbies through FPs?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #44 on: December 20, 2011, 11:22:47 AM

Ditto. Only one I would be hesitant to run would be the Mandalorians, because of the bugged treasure chest (the chest for the 4 republic heroes didn't open for us).

But if I'm on, feel free to ask me. The more tanking experience I can get before the operations, the better! I've got a five day weekend coming up, so if I'm on, I'm not engaged in family stuff :) I hope to catass through at least Thurs and Fri  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Starting Wed night, I'm calling for a BC flashpoint blitz!

Is there any penalty to taking lowbies through FPs?

I am curious as to this as well. Obvious this does not affect the quest xp outcome, but I am wondering if the trash/boss xp is cut up as typically done on these games.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 11:24:55 AM

Which could be a good thing, xp is CRAZY in this game. Half of my mods are still level 20, I'm just getting Nar Shaddaa mods at level 27 (they're 24?). Major factor in my sticking with armormech, it's currently the way I can stay in level-appropriate gear.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 11:25:29 AM

How did you beat the four horsemen of the apocalypse?  My group had a hard time overcoming.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 20, 2011, 11:34:27 AM

How did you beat the four horsemen of the apocalypse?  My group had a hard time overcoming.

When I did it, we basically just had the tank running around like they were insane while the DPS picked something and wasted it.

I think we did the tank (for no sane reason), the healery ranged, the other ranged, and finally the nuker.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 20, 2011, 11:40:09 AM

Four (?) wipes. I was actually getting frustrated and glad I tried it again. I was under-leveled as the tank and that was destroying us. The other guys were proper or a bit over level, the dps was good, healing was fine except me getting whomped. Levels are just so huge in this game, I'm thinking from 25 on I won't try tanking anything over my level as a rule.

We put trooper last the first couple times and his mortar volley was  ACK! We tried a couple different kill orders and almost wiped again when Cho (?) was able to kite the last mob (Consular) and killed her with 230 or so hp left  DRILLING AND MANLINESS It was a great fight, but just really tough to crack for some reason, the ramping up of abilities is nefarious. That Jedi Knight made me stabby with always breaking off me and jumping on someone across the room or force pushing me into a corner, we moved her to first in order just to slow things down and make it more organized. We got no lewtz and I got a 2.5k cr repair bill. Finaly order iirc was Knight, Smuggler, Trooper, Consular.

Then I saw a video on the tube (out of curiosity) and a Jedi just force lifted whatever CC on of the mobs for most of the fight. Dammit. Then again, they were all a few levels over, as well.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 20, 2011, 11:42:50 AM

That video is either old, or the tooltips are wrong. All the boss characters had a CC immunity buff up. I was planning on space-sapping one but the buff told me I shouldn't.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 20, 2011, 11:45:29 AM

My group tried three times.  On the third, we tried the ZG tiger boss tactic of "kill the first two outright, bring the last two down to 10% or less health, and then burn them down together".  Would have worked beautifully if not for some not avoiding AoE properly.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 20, 2011, 11:50:35 AM

That video is either old, or the tooltips are wrong. All the boss characters had a CC immunity buff up. I was planning on space-sapping one but the buff told me I shouldn't.
I've got to learn the translation of everyone's character to f13 names...but the awesome assassin I've grouped with a few times (sorry!) said as much about a few fights. We'd been using the sap to great effect on some Heroics, but not an option for the tougher FP fights. Reason #8 why I want multi-spec, I'd talent electrodart in a second if it worked on bosses (it's great for pvp but almost useless in pve).
My group tried three times.  On the third, we tried the ZG tiger boss tactic of "kill the first two outright, bring the last two down to 10% or less health, and then burn them down together".  Would have worked beautifully if not for some not avoiding AoE properly.
That was our next plan. And to be honest, some of the AE was tough to avoid. I swear I was slowed somehow every time the trooper lit up his mortar volley circle (since I play BH, I'm used to seeing the big circle and instinctively start moving). I ended up getting hit with AE pretty much every single time, despite watching for it.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 20, 2011, 11:53:57 AM

The fight, IMO, is just a bit overtuned for it's level.  I felt we were doing some kinda of WoW-BC Heroic boss.  I expect some patch notes soon.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 20, 2011, 12:27:35 PM

As soon as the flashpoints don't have rape-you-in-the-face four horseman fights, I'll be all up ons.  That fight in Mandalorian Raiders though.. ACK!

That fight is actually pretty easy, you burn the dual sabers bitch first. Then u damage other 3 guys to about half hp bars, then finish em off. That is because they increase in damage with each death
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #54 on: December 20, 2011, 01:31:50 PM

I've got to learn the translation of everyone's character to f13 names...but the awesome assassin I've grouped with a few times (sorry!) said as much about a few fights.

Should probably encourage people to add a note under the Guild window with their F13 name. I noticed a couple people have. Would be easier than printing out the Roster list like I was debating doing...

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 20, 2011, 01:33:14 PM

I did put a note in the roster thread to do so, but I'll update the silly message of the day to be serious for a bit.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 21, 2011, 07:11:29 AM

As companions go for solo questing, I've entirely switched over to a DPS pet for my medic smuggler. We're a bit less care-free than my corso pairing, but it turns out I'm pretty much invulnerable to anything under a gold with non wussy friends. It's a bit of an odd playstyle difference going from healer/dps for my tank pet, to pure healer that's trying his hardest to keep threat off my crazy dps companion putting out numbers twice as high as anything I can even think about.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #57 on: December 22, 2011, 07:50:50 AM

For those that care about looks and have a medium-armor companion they use a lot (Mako):

There's a nice Nar Shadda Commendation headgear for med. armor that isn't terrible.   It looks like snow goggles when your companion is wearing it.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #58 on: December 22, 2011, 08:27:23 AM

Oh God, thank you, Tharan's headgear has been making me cry every time I look at him. When I get back from NJ I will have to start the commendation farming process. :P
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:29:50 AM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #59 on: December 22, 2011, 08:55:55 AM

To be clear I mean the type the Inuit on this page is wearing, not ski goggles.
http://www.glenbow.org/thule/?lang=en&p=inside&t=enhanced&s=4-2&q=2&mi=1&si=5

It may have cheek guards, but I can't tell due to Mako's hairstyle.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #60 on: December 22, 2011, 09:02:17 AM

Hm, I just looked and didn't see anything like that, maybe it's only for Empire people or something. It's no big, I'm sure I'll find a medium helmet for him that isn't 100% terrible. Some day.

God Save the Horn Players
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #61 on: December 22, 2011, 09:07:37 AM

Found it on TORhead.  <type> Coordination Headgear.  They're orange.

http://www.torhead.com/item/AtQdR4

It looks like the icon does.  Which, as I mentioned, I can't totally tell because Mako's a cyborg and has shit on her cheeks anyway and long hair that hides the rest.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 22, 2011, 09:22:58 AM

Does the gear not have to say "Requires Mako" in order for them to wear it?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 22, 2011, 09:23:50 AM

No, they can use any armor of the type they can use. The "Requires X" shit is just unique to them.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 22, 2011, 09:24:45 AM

Does the gear not have to say "Requires Mako" in order for them to wear it?

No, they can use any armor of the type they can use. The "Requires X" shit is just unique to them.

And Ghambit's head hit's the desk in 5... 4... 3... 2...

why so serious?

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 22, 2011, 09:32:13 AM

Argh! Argh! Argh! Argh! Argh! Argh! Argh! Argh!

oh god... all the gear I've vendored.  Oranges even.  Beating a Dead Horse
Oh well, at least I caught it now rather then later.  Explains alot.  She should be tanking better.  Tbh though, the "requires Kal" gear is much better looking for the most part.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:41:05 AM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 22, 2011, 09:43:27 AM

Argh! Argh! Argh! Argh! Argh! Argh! Argh! Argh!

oh god... all the gear I've vendored.  Oranges even.  Beating a Dead Horse
Oh well, at least I caught it now rather then later.  Explains alot.  She should be tanking better.  Tbh though, the "requires Kal" gear is much better looking for the most part.

Except when you get oranges, of course.  My Kaliyo and I have matching Hammer Station blaster rifles (hers swapped out with +Aim stuff, of course)   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #67 on: December 22, 2011, 09:45:33 AM

Wow.. that sucks Ghambit.

I'm debating sticking my heavy armor companion into the Sith Trooper armor the CE versions get.  It'd look silly on a Bounty Hunter, but on him.. maybe not.  It's not like his face isn't at that silly angle to begin with.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 22, 2011, 12:58:45 PM

It annoys me that it does not display your companion's items in the compare tooltip. It should at least do it when you have their character sheet up, right?

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 22, 2011, 12:59:48 PM

There is a GUI option for that. Its a setting.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Lovers, Fighters, and Companions  
Jump to: