Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:37:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 453582 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1120 on: January 22, 2019, 06:32:23 AM

There's a knack to finding walls.  If you look up the ZiggyD delve video, he describes it very well.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1121 on: January 22, 2019, 07:07:17 AM

Will those hidden walls be visible on the minimap from the safe area, or should I be wandering around randomly in the darkness flaring? I've never used a flare nor seen a hidden wall.

You can either venture off into the side corridors while you're following the cart to a node or go back down a corridor you've already lit up and venture off to the sides.  You'll see an icon on your mini-map when you get close to a breakable wall.  I recommend having 75% Dark Resist and 150% Light Radius for your flares at the depth you want to explore.  The longer the distance between two points the better (higher chance for breakable walls).

most often known as Drevik
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1122 on: January 22, 2019, 10:34:23 AM

Can I go back to higher depths to get that stuff up? I don't think I can afford a single dark resist upgrade yet.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1123 on: January 22, 2019, 12:40:14 PM

Can I go back to higher depths to get that stuff up? I don't think I can afford a single dark resist upgrade yet.

Yes, I'm at around depth 380 atm, but if I were to farm fossils I'd go back up to depth 60-80ish where the fuel costs are really low.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1124 on: January 26, 2019, 10:26:15 AM

I just spent an hour or so updating PoE and signed on to my lightning witch. She's 17th level and has had all of her passives credited back to her. She also has credit for one free reset that I believe will also refund my passives. It looks like lightning arc witch is still a good beginner build so if I just put my passives back where they belong can I save the reset to use if I find I've fucked up?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1125 on: January 26, 2019, 10:38:48 AM

Yes.

To pretty much all the questions there.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1126 on: January 26, 2019, 11:29:16 AM

First you should stop playing in standard league.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1127 on: January 26, 2019, 11:40:01 AM

Why? What advantage is there playing in a different league?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1128 on: January 26, 2019, 01:23:30 PM

nah play standard for now, you'll want to learn the fight mechanics and basics in standard since there is so much compared to the old Act1-3 days

as to the earlier question, wow you really need to re-calibrate to ARPG sensibilities. You should be able to get L40 in under 16hrs /played even when you are completely clueless and lost I'd think. So L17 just isn't a real investment and this character is just a means to the end of making some mistakes and learning from them in terms of builds and learning where the tough/scary areas and fights are that you might RIP to in hardcore so you can avoid un-earned deaths.

if you just want to netdeck a build I like going to: https://poe.ninja/ and then you can pick a main skill or ascendency and find a tree easy enough, you'll need Poe builder but you need that and a loot filter anyways you probably just don't know it yet.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:26:16 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1129 on: January 26, 2019, 02:11:51 PM

nah play standard for now, you'll want to learn the fight mechanics and basics in standard since there is so much compared to the old Act1-3 days

If you suck at video games, then yeah sure "practice" Path of Exile.

Level 40 should take almost no time at all to a veteran player. A newbie that is familiar with ARPGs should be maybe 3-4?

Play whatever seasonal league is on going. They typically last 3 months and have the latest mechanics and fun of the game. Once the league is over, all the additions are either cut or added to standard depending on their success.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1130 on: January 26, 2019, 02:37:34 PM

Jump into Betrayal. I started playing properly just under a month ago. I now have a Necromancer at 88 and a Juggernaut at 80. The leveling process isn't too bad although I'm starting to feel the death penalty on the necro when I make a bad play decision on corrupted maps.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1131 on: January 26, 2019, 03:37:49 PM

Jump into Betrayal. I started playing properly just under a month ago. I now have a Necromancer at 88 and a Juggernaut at 80. The leveling process isn't too bad although I'm starting to feel the death penalty on the necro when I make a bad play decision on corrupted maps.

Does Flame Dashing into a pack of turbo mobs on a corrupted T16 map and mashing Brand Recall with no Brands out count as a bad play decision? awesome, for real I did that recently at 96.5, man did that one sting.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1132 on: January 26, 2019, 07:57:32 PM

Hah thanks guys. But you've made the whole endeavor sound like way too much work. I play at my own speed, casually and I like to play a single character at a time to a decent level. Creating a new character every 3 months sounds boring.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1133 on: January 26, 2019, 11:26:08 PM

Does Flame Dashing into a pack of turbo mobs on a corrupted T16 map and mashing Brand Recall with no Brands out count as a bad play decision? awesome, for real I did that recently at 96.5, man did that one sting.

Ouch... I was channeling ball lightning/cast while channeling support/charged dash and accidentally let my thumb off the spacebar and launched into a huge pack with a boss and exploding stuff. Twice. At 88 that hurts, I'd hate to think what it is like at 96.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1134 on: January 27, 2019, 12:22:14 AM

Hah thanks guys. But you've made the whole endeavor sound like way too much work. I play at my own speed, casually and I like to play a single character at a time to a decent level. Creating a new character every 3 months sounds boring.
Yeah, don't worry about the league. If the whole game is new to you you won't miss the extra mechanics. Betrayal is convoluted and the bosses will wreck your shit.

Do recognize that since this is your first character, you will fuck it up, and if you push into endgame it will be faster to reroll than to fix it, but you don't need to worry about that now.

Take more life nodes.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1135 on: January 27, 2019, 12:30:18 AM

Oddly, it eventually becomes the game.  It's all about creating a new build after a while.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1136 on: January 27, 2019, 04:44:41 AM

Oh yea I understand I'll eventually need a new character when I reach a point I can't get past because of my bad decisions. I'll try a league when I hit that point. By then I'll probably know how to get to 100th level in 20 minutes.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1137 on: January 27, 2019, 07:24:48 AM

Stash Tabs are on sale this weekend, so if anyone needs them now is the time to buy.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1138 on: January 27, 2019, 07:55:08 AM

Stash Tabs are on sale this weekend, so if anyone needs them now is the time to buy.

I grabbed my first Quad Tab.  I think I'm in love. Heart

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1139 on: January 27, 2019, 08:34:42 AM

Reg, the other thing they didn't make clear is that anything you do in a league rolls over to Standard anyhow once the league ends.  There's pretty much only upsides to playing in the leagues most of the time.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: January 27, 2019, 09:28:54 AM

I've been reading up on it and I think I'll play in standard until I learn the basics of the game. Then if I need a break from the character I'll make a new one in the league where I don't need to learn the game from scratch and I might actually accomplish something in 3 months.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1141 on: January 27, 2019, 02:16:26 PM

Welp, two unfortunate deaths today and I went from 70% to 97 to 55%.  One RIP was in a T16 Elder map trying to optimize Sulphite gains from a scarab.  It was a 4 sextant boosted Corrupted map with -Max Resists and Ele Weakness Curse and a Volatile Anomaly blew me the fuck up at the exact moment my flasks wore off and my Flame Dash wouldn't go off emphasizing the need to overlap my flask usage.  The other death was in an extremely rippy Delve biome at depth 430.  Most of the biomes are now modded to the equivalency of T16 corrupt maps.  It looks like I'm going to have to decouple my two goals of Depth 600 and level 100.  I'm now only going to run Pure Breachstones and safer T16 maps until I reach level 100 and then go back and focus on delving down to 600.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1142 on: January 27, 2019, 03:12:09 PM

I took a break from my necromancer - I get complacent with it and need to try and up my placement a bit more so moved back to the marauder and got it to 83. It's harder to play as you drop dps when moving as opposed to the witch's minions beating on bosses. I bit the bullet and traded up flasks and am at almost 8000 life but there are clutch moments even with resists sitting well over cap. I ended up shifting to the minor entity that gives poison/chaos on the  ground resists as I'm still -25% there as opposed to +25% on the necro. The necro is great for doing corrupted map bosses on atlas, I'm not sure that the marauder is up to it - although that may be me getting into a lazy mindset.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: January 27, 2019, 03:41:05 PM

I've been reading up on it and I think I'll play in standard until I learn the basics of the game. Then if I need a break from the character I'll make a new one in the league where I don't need to learn the game from scratch and I might actually accomplish something in 3 months.

This is wise.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1144 on: January 27, 2019, 04:29:30 PM

I took a break from my necromancer - I get complacent with it and need to try and up my placement a bit more so moved back to the marauder and got it to 83. It's harder to play as you drop dps when moving as opposed to the witch's minions beating on bosses. I bit the bullet and traded up flasks and am at almost 8000 life but there are clutch moments even with resists sitting well over cap. I ended up shifting to the minor entity that gives poison/chaos on the  ground resists as I'm still -25% there as opposed to +25% on the necro. The necro is great for doing corrupted map bosses on atlas, I'm not sure that the marauder is up to it - although that may be me getting into a lazy mindset.

Yeah I decided to take a break and continue working on a toon I'm lvling to speed farm Betrayal events for Breachstones, Scarabs, and Leo slams.  It's only lvl 67 atm, but the shenanigans are already starting.  It's a Raider with Avatar of the Chase and I'm using dual Ichimonjis and Daresso's Defiance to scale Onslaught.  Avatar of the Chase gives 100% increased Onslaught while each Ichi gives 10% and my Daresso's is giving another +86%(max is 100 if I throw some more Divines at it).  Already a huge boost to movement speed with that alone, but once I get Avatar of the Chase it will be even crazier.  I'll have 8 Frenzy charges by then with Chase giving +3% Movement Speed per charge.  I'm also using Darkray Vectors which is another %5 Movement Speed per charge.  Throw in Devoto's Devotion as my helm with another +20% Movement Speed and we're off to the races.  Only bad thing about this vs a Queen of the Forest build is I have to kill a pack to activate my zoomies.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: January 27, 2019, 07:23:39 PM

My Vortex toon finally came into it's own. I'm up to 81, sitting at 12k ES and 66k tooltip DPS; blowing through low tier maps for Atlas completion and dying to darkness in Delve because I'm bad. why so serious?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1146 on: January 28, 2019, 04:57:16 AM

This is wise.

I disagree. The game is about trial and error and learning from failure. Nothing better than in a league. You should be "trained" to play this game in short stints, not long term character building. At least that's how the vast majority of people play it.

I joke about standard, there is nothing wrong with it, and there is no wrong way to play the game obviously. But the game is about trial and error and failure and the fun of figuring things out build wise.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: January 28, 2019, 05:51:31 AM

That type of failure is a good way to lose interest in a game quickly.  Leagues are also full of 'extras' that sap attention and confuse.

Learn the base game first.  Get bored of it.  Then find fun in leagues and new characters building, realising it was meant to be that way all along.

Otherwise, you'll hit the 'fuck it' wall too quickly.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1148 on: January 29, 2019, 01:37:14 AM

So I got to level 89 on the necromancer and 84 on the marauder with 116 magic/rare/corrupted boss clears on Atlas. I need to stop running corrupteds as the death penalty is pulling me back. Is the XP gain better with magic/rare maps or should I just focus on un-modded maps at T13/14 to level up?

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1149 on: January 29, 2019, 04:56:41 AM

So I got to level 89 on the necromancer and 84 on the marauder with 116 magic/rare/corrupted boss clears on Atlas. I need to stop running corrupteds as the death penalty is pulling me back. Is the XP gain better with magic/rare maps or should I just focus on un-modded maps at T13/14 to level up?

Map mods don't affect xp per se.  Usually what you're looking for when modding maps for XP is Pack Size and mods that specifically affect mobs such as 20% More Magic Monsters (they give more xp).  Technically a corrupted map would give more xp because it probably has higher pack size, but 10% more pack size is hardly worth dying for.  Clear speed is more important when xping, blasting through a dozen unrolled maps is going to be more xp than carefully clearing 8 dangerous corrupted maps for example.  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:00:33 AM by EWSpider »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1150 on: January 29, 2019, 05:58:06 AM

Also, it's far more important to upgrade your gear than it is your level after a certain point.  I mean, I get that 11 points is nice, but shooting for level 100 is a mugs game.  I don't think I've ever had anyone higher than 90, but I know I've had chars with builds and gear I've loved.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1151 on: January 29, 2019, 06:36:05 AM

Also, it's far more important to upgrade your gear than it is your level after a certain point.  I mean, I get that 11 points is nice, but shooting for level 100 is a mugs game.  I don't think I've ever had anyone higher than 90, but I know I've had chars with builds and gear I've loved.

Yeah, the only reason I'm even trying for 100 is for the Challenge.  I'm trying to get to 36 completed for the back attachment.  Also, to expound a bit more on the xping...if you want to do it efficiently and especially if map sustain is a concern you really need to be investing into the process.  If you were corrupting maps it sounds like you already were, but I'll explain further for anyone else reading.  The most efficient way is a T16 Elder map, but if that's not an option pick your highest map with the best layout (T15 Tower maps have an awesome layout for blasting through it, but not so good for Breach) and that you have a lot of.  Sextants, Prophecies, and Zana mods can add TONS of xp to a map through additional packs.  The reason why an Elder map is so good is not just because it's T16 and higher level, it's because you can pick a map surrounded by other white tier maps.  I picked Toxic Sewer because of it's layout and mob density and I'm able to use 3 White and 1 Yellow sextant on it.  This is obviously WAY cheaper than trying to use red sextants.  All those things I listed can add additional mob packs to a map.  Sextants:  "Areas contain additional Monsters that deal Cold Damage"; Zana:  Breach, Harbinger, Abyss; Prophecy:  Plague of Rats/Frogs for example.  More mobs, more xp, more chances for map drops.  Also, Tempest prophecies can add Quant to a map when were talking about map sustain and then of course the Help Zana prophecy can give you a whole 'nother free map to run with more xp/drops.  If you have the currency you can look for people selling those specific prophecies in bulk.  Probably the most useful thing I've learned about PoE is to not sit on your currency (especially playing a temp. league it's all going away eventually anyhow).  Spend/invest that shit as you get it.  Took me a long time to come to terms with that (usually a hoarder in most games).

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1152 on: January 29, 2019, 06:42:17 AM

"Don't hoard currency" is indeed good, important advice. I usually find 1 Ex per league and just end up holding it for no reason; I spent the one I found this league in Act 7 and have since found 3 more. Maybe that's RNG, but just buying better gear has dramatically increased my survivability/clear speed. Use poe.trade or the official tool to find gear; tweak the filters to get exactly what you want. Both sites also have currency exchange sections, to flip your less-desired currency into Chaos/Exalted which makes buying gear/maps/whatever easier.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1153 on: January 29, 2019, 10:38:49 AM

My Cospri COC Ice Nova/Frost Bolt build is very good and boring. I can steam roll T7/8 maps at level 75. I need to get back into it and push forward. I need more maps.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1154 on: January 29, 2019, 11:24:56 AM

Finished Uber Lab with my speed farmer and the zoomies are in full effect.  Only lvl 82 with some optimizing to do and more MS nodes to get, but it's quite fun.  I ended up switching from the dual Ichis and Frostblades to Windripper and Rain of Arrows.  Frostblades is fun, but it's so much nicer having Mirage Archer kill things as I'm zooming around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQvcJkqbMS0
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:28:24 AM by EWSpider »

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile  
Jump to: