Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:57:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 453591 times)
JRave
Terracotta Army

Reply #770 on: February 21, 2017, 06:39:15 AM

I played this a bit when it first came out but it didn't stick with me. I've installed it again in anticipation of all the new upcoming content. I had a bit of choppiness at first but changing some random setting to "predictive" solved that issue and it runs smoothly now.  The currency system is still mystifying but it's looking like I'll have some fun with this again.

Changing to predictive solving your choppiness means your ping to whichever server you connected to was too high for lockstep to work properly.  Predictive mode will result in some desync issues as you play.  On the login screen there should be a server selection drop down.  Look and see if you can find a server close to you under 60ish ping and lockstep should work fine.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #771 on: June 28, 2017, 06:39:14 AM

Yeah, yeah, 120 days, fuck you.

Ok, so I've been dropping subtle hints that I've been playing... a little bit of this lately. Just a little bit.  Like, to the exclusion of all else.

And, you know what, it's actually really good and interesting and fun.  Since this is not 'new' I won't waffle, but for the uninitiated, it's basically Diablo 2 with nice Graphics and a little more complexity.  A strange hybrid of 2 and 3 actually.

Since there are others playing it, it would seem, I thought I'd resurface the thread so people can throw nice builds that they use or usernames or whatnot.  Or just watch this thread once again sink like a stone 'aneath the murky waves.  Anyone who's playing on London (cue absolutely fucking no-one) can hit me or the wife up for a chat or just to donate gear to us.

I currently have a high level minion witch, a rather nicely geared maurader and a kick ass ascended Trickster that doesn't pay mana for his gratuitous slaughter.  So that's nice.

Any tips for decent Templar or Duelist builds appreciated, since I haven't really fucked with them much as yet.

Finally, I have been looking at poe.trade and it would seem fairly straightforward and cheap to get some nice gear ;  does anyone have any experience of trading in this game ?  I remember D2 being a cesspit of awfulness and scam artists, so wondering if there's any advice out there.

Let the water coming in commence.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #772 on: June 28, 2017, 06:57:28 AM

I've tried playing this like 6 times. Between the ridiculous currency system and the animations, I hestitate to call it Diablo 2 with nice graphics. More like Diablo 2 with no polish and modern shaders.

I am 100% sure I could get over my issues if they could get the feel right, but they seem completely opposed to taking the time to do that.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: June 28, 2017, 07:42:20 AM

Schild is wrong and the game is great. The currency system is basically chaos orbs and exalts. The rest are used for crafting for the most part.

Poetrade is easy. Find what you want, click the whisper button which copies info that you get to paste in chat. If the person responds you get a party invite, right click to go to his hideout and you trade.

Takes just a moment if the person isn't afk.

If you like minions, buy some clayshapers for a cheap golem build. Real fun and easy. The real golemancer build is Uber expensive.

Try the terminus flicker build, that's real fun too.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: June 28, 2017, 07:51:19 AM

I played a bit a couple months ago with the new season. I ended up being discouraged out of playing because I couldn't kill those T16 bosses with what I had. They're hellishly difficult and it rubs me the wrong way not being able to do all the content. I wish you could just have unlimited portals. I get that they don't want you to graveyard zerg a boss, but why not? There's no more frustrating feeling than dying and losing the last portal. Similarly dying at the end of a Labyrinth run is also incredibly frustrating. PoE is one of those games that actively hates you and wants you to feel bad.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: June 28, 2017, 08:59:34 AM

No, I pretty much agree with Schild.

I particularly don't like the currency system.  Or the look of the game.  Or how characters move.

I've tried it 4 or 5 times, and each time I get stuck well before the end of act 3 or whatever.  Often before the end of act 1.  I think once I didn't even make it to the prison before I lost interest.

I also don't like how poorly explained the exchange system is.  If I need to have a wiki page open to figure out something like that, well, it's a definite downside.

I'll probably give it another whirl when 3.0 hits, because I do very much want to like the game, but we'll see.  Because I love the basic idea of "kill stuff, see levels increase, get better stuff."
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: June 28, 2017, 10:55:09 AM

I played a bit a couple months ago with the new season. I ended up being discouraged out of playing because I couldn't kill those T16 bosses with what I had. They're hellishly difficult and it rubs me the wrong way not being able to do all the content. I wish you could just have unlimited portals. I get that they don't want you to graveyard zerg a boss, but why not? There's no more frustrating feeling than dying and losing the last portal. Similarly dying at the end of a Labyrinth run is also incredibly frustrating. PoE is one of those games that actively hates you and wants you to feel bad.

Get the portal gem and link it with cast on death.

Also fuck labs. Worst part of the game.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: June 28, 2017, 10:58:36 AM

No, I pretty much agree with Schild.

I particularly don't like the currency system.  Or the look of the game.  Or how characters move.

I've tried it 4 or 5 times, and each time I get stuck well before the end of act 3 or whatever.  Often before the end of act 1.  I think once I didn't even make it to the prison before I lost interest.

I also don't like how poorly explained the exchange system is.  If I need to have a wiki page open to figure out something like that, well, it's a definite downside.

I'll probably give it another whirl when 3.0 hits, because I do very much want to like the game, but we'll see.  Because I love the basic idea of "kill stuff, see levels increase, get better stuff."

It took me like 4 or 5 times to get into it. Also ignore the exchange system, bc you really don't need it unless you get heavy in to the end game and by then you will like the complexity. (It's not that complex)

Just pic up tri color items for chromatic gems.
And blacksmith things can be exchanged for Wis scrolls.

Also, get a loot filter.  Neversink is the most popular. Easy to install like a wow add-on.

The movement is better than before and the pathing will get even better in 3.0.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:00:14 AM by Draegan »
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: June 28, 2017, 01:09:49 PM

I seem to have terrible luck with, for example - flasks.  So I grab 3 flasks, sell them, yay 1 upgraded flask.

I was very confused the first time a medium flask magically appeared in my inventory though.

I assume a loot filter screens out items based on criteria you set?
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: June 28, 2017, 03:48:45 PM

Does that work in maps? You only get 6 portals until you're locked out, I don't think it bypasses that restriction. If it does, I've reeeally been missing out. Trying to kill Hydra or Minotaur or any T16 boss without an OP build and OP gear is really hard with limited deaths.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:50:53 PM by Azuredream »

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: June 28, 2017, 04:35:05 PM

I played this game quite a lot, up until Act 4 was released. I had some really decent builds, but hated that my skills would be cleared, or paths changed while the game was in ongoing beta. Never had issue with the inventory items, and although it did have quirky movement it was quite a lot more fluid and stable playing with other people imo (net code + latency) than Diablo 3.

My favorite build I'd made was a Duelist 2 handed, zombie summoning, Dark Knight. His lightning and 2h basically made him invincible, if things got close.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #781 on: June 29, 2017, 04:08:41 AM

Schild is wrong and the game is great. The currency system is basically chaos orbs and exalts. The rest are used for crafting for the most part.

Poetrade is easy. Find what you want, click the whisper button which copies info that you get to paste in chat. If the person responds you get a party invite, right click to go to his hideout and you trade.

Takes just a moment if the person isn't afk.

If you like minions, buy some clayshapers for a cheap golem build. Real fun and easy. The real golemancer build is Uber expensive.

Try the terminus flicker build, that's real fun too.

First trade was exactly like that, all done and dusted in two minutes.  And I got a sweetass dagger.

I'm also confused by the criticisms, but this is Schild and he ain't rational, so what's new.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: June 29, 2017, 05:39:21 AM

Does that work in maps? You only get 6 portals until you're locked out, I don't think it bypasses that restriction. If it does, I've reeeally been missing out. Trying to kill Hydra or Minotaur or any T16 boss without an OP build and OP gear is really hard with limited deaths.

Never tried it but I think so.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #783 on: June 29, 2017, 05:41:21 AM

I seem to have terrible luck with, for example - flasks.  So I grab 3 flasks, sell them, yay 1 upgraded flask.

I was very confused the first time a medium flask magically appeared in my inventory though.

I assume a loot filter screens out items based on criteria you set?

Loot filter is based on your level so it slowly only shows you less shitty gear as time goes on. The neversink filter has a few versions depending on what you like. Just Google neversink and read the forum posts. It gives better details than I could.

It's a must imo.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: June 29, 2017, 09:10:05 AM

No, the portal gem will function in maps but it doesn't let you cheat the retry limit. In general, there should be no way to carry back more than 6 inventory loads' worth of stuff from any map. If there is, it's an exploit.

I like ZiggyD's loot filter because it's much easier to comprehend and edit, but for something that just works out of the box Neversink is the way to go.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: June 29, 2017, 09:32:50 AM

I don't understand peoples issues with the currency.  They are all straightforward and let you craft the gear you want.  Even more so since the release of the masters.  If you get an amazing drop with a bad socket roll, you fix it.  If you are hoarding a bunch of chances, you use it to gamble.  If you want move speed on your boots (you do), you add it.

I think it's one of the more interesting things they did and I like it way more than massing up generic piles piles of gold.   Plus when an exalt or a chaos drops it's exciting.

The game feel thing I get.  The base move speed is way too slow.  Once you have played a bit you learn the tricks with crafting boots, using multiple quick silvers, equipping move skills with faster casting, etc.  They should make that part of the game better at early levels.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: June 29, 2017, 11:08:36 AM

The difference between a kitted out raider zooming at a million miles an hour and a level 1 character is kind of insane. Honestly I would support removing +move as an affix from boots and giving everybody 30% more baseline.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: June 29, 2017, 12:11:32 PM

If you want a loot filter that closely replicates the default (things are mostly the same colors they were, etc.), use One Filter to Rule Them All.

We do have an f13 guild; I haven't been on much lately due to RL nonsense (owning a home is fun) and the impending 3.0 patch. Once that hits I'll be playing again, and I can invite anyone who needs inviting. I believe my username is Rendakor in POE as well.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #788 on: July 06, 2017, 01:41:52 PM

Neversink is the most popular.

Fantastic.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: July 07, 2017, 12:51:39 AM

The wife just can't get ascended.  The Labyrinth traps get her every time since control is not her forte.

It's gone past gigglesome and into 'If I laugh one more time I'm getting divorced'.

why so serious?

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: July 07, 2017, 05:15:41 AM

I've got a buddy who was in the same boat; we were going through the Normal lab at like level 60 because he hadn't played in a while and never did the ascendancy. I was leading him through on Vent, telling him what to dodge, etc. and he just. kept. dying. We tried 5-6 times and I just gave up.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #791 on: July 07, 2017, 06:29:57 AM

There is always someone worse.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #792 on: July 07, 2017, 07:01:58 AM

Ironwood: I'm much the same. Never gotten beyond 1st level of Ascendance. Apparently its a common complaint though; they are at least streamlining the Labyrinth itself to make it quicker and less punishing if you fail.

As for the trials: Quicksilver Flasks and a good movement skill like Leapslam.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #793 on: July 07, 2017, 07:04:06 AM

Trials suck.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: July 12, 2017, 09:38:56 AM

As for the trials: Quicksilver Flasks and a good movement skill like Leapslam.

Agree on these, although this is really good advice in general.  Remember to get % move speed on boots and add faster casting/faster attacks and possibly reduced duration to your move skill.  They should have a bleed removal flask (staunching), an instant recovery flask (bubbling, seething, panicked) and a normal recovery flask. Roll quicksilvers to adrenaline. They can also try immortal call on a CWDT setup.  Also, stack life nodes & gear Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: July 12, 2017, 10:20:04 AM

I've found that the biggest mistake players make in PoE is that they undervalue defensive skills.  I tend to dedicate nearly half of my skill tree points to some kind of survival talents.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #796 on: July 12, 2017, 12:40:04 PM

That's really big for chronic rerollers like me. Its very easy to build a character that's super effective up until about level 50, and then boom, your lack of defense becomes evident when you start getting one shot.

I had built this hilarious Frenzy/Lifegain/Claw Scion, that was attacking about 8 times per second and getting about 20% of her life back per swing. Problem was at level 64 she had about 1k hps, and anything ranged with chaos damage melted her to goo before she could get close enough for the lifegain on hit to matter.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #797 on: July 12, 2017, 03:32:23 PM

Trials suck.

I've always loved poe but yeah trials made me quit and i'll never go back while they are in. the last thing i ever want to do while playing a diablo game is sit and wait for trap timings. This isn't fucking megaman, fuck off.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: July 12, 2017, 03:47:55 PM

Trials suck.

I've always loved poe but yeah trials made me quit and i'll never go back while they are in. the last thing i ever want to do while playing a diablo game is sit and wait for trap timings. This isn't fucking megaman, fuck off.

How about doing 90% of the trial and dying to a mental error.  This has tilted me more than about any game mechanic to date.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #799 on: July 12, 2017, 07:42:23 PM

In 3.0  the early trials are a lot shorter. You have that at least.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: July 13, 2017, 01:28:28 AM

When's that hitting anyway ?

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #801 on: July 13, 2017, 06:48:31 AM

July, between the days of now, and the end of the year.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #802 on: July 13, 2017, 07:15:26 AM

Hope is Mid August realistically.

New Race Event starting tomorrow. Two weeks, every map gets rotating 5 extra somethings on it - Rogue Exiles, Perandus Chests, Strong Boxes, etc. It's a non-void league, so everything transfers to Standard after its done.

Trying to actually "win" the race would be a pipe dream to most of us (we have lives?), but there are a bunch of random draw cosmetics and beta keys going out to people who hit certain level thresholds.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: July 13, 2017, 08:23:50 AM

I've participated in a few races, and yeah.  Unless you have been perfecting a run, and have some substantial luck in drops, winning a race is a pipe dream.

Hell, being in the top 50% is likely a pipe dream, if you are employed.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #804 on: July 13, 2017, 08:51:22 AM

New Race Event starting tomorrow. Two weeks, every map gets rotating 5 extra somethings on it - Rogue Exiles, Perandus Chests, Strong Boxes, etc. It's a non-void league, so everything transfers to Standard after its done.

What are these races?  I've heard of them, but never really understood what they were.  Is it just seeing how far you can get progression-wise in 2 weeks?

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile  
Jump to: