Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:14:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 453594 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: July 13, 2015, 07:30:32 AM

Marauder or Ranger, depending if you want melee or ranged.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: July 14, 2015, 11:14:55 AM

Somehow playing this game feels like wearing a wool sweater on your naked back; sure, it keeps you warm but, ack, the irritation...

As always, the skill tree is the best and worst part of the game... more effort is needed to remove the "worst" from the equation.  At a minimum, if you are going to "Alt" me with my "meaningful" decisions, at least steal Marvel's progressive XP bonus as I play your stupid game over, and over, and over again.

I like the release valve of buying some gems... cool.

Identify scrolls... hah.  Early in a season they are a hinderance, late in the season they are garbage - unless I'm missing something, there's an economic principle that is missing, broken, or stupid.

Maps...just, maps  ACK!

Aside from desynch/lag issues, I actually like the combat crunch better than Diablo.  And I love, absolutely lerve, the Character customization experimentation - I gimp myself with a clear theme in mind.  Nothing better than that.

Walking away from it for long stretches just makes the latest play sessions with my Dex based shield Duelist all the more delicious... until I walk away from it for a long stretch in frustration.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #702 on: July 16, 2015, 02:38:12 AM

The issue I had with the game was the jank (and lag from AUS). I expect crisp animations and crisp controls, something was off about PoE that made it feel like I was fighting the controls instead of using them.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #703 on: July 16, 2015, 06:19:49 AM

The game is made in NZ, you shouldn't be lagging from AUS.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: July 16, 2015, 07:57:59 AM

It was pretty bad when I played some years ago.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #705 on: July 16, 2015, 08:29:31 AM

Desync was bad for everybody; if that's what you mean, this patch has fixed a lot of it and I'd suggest giving it another shot.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #706 on: July 16, 2015, 09:22:25 AM

I can say that the desync has been largely dealt with in my experience.  I did choose one of the nearer gateways, or rather the client chose the best one for me and I approved.  I actually killed Dominus without desyncing.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #707 on: July 16, 2015, 09:28:10 AM

yo someone show me how i would build a scion that dual wields swords that do electric things to people and make lots of shocky noises
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #708 on: July 16, 2015, 09:32:15 AM

lol

If you don't want to play the game to do it, try the online skill thing:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAA

It actually works better than in-game since you can search for things and it highlights shortest paths and such.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: July 16, 2015, 11:20:29 PM

It was pretty bad when I played some years ago.

Playing from Sydney the lad used to be "ok" to bad. That was on ADSL2. I'm on NBN now and it's great :)

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #710 on: July 18, 2015, 03:02:51 AM

yo someone show me how i would build a scion that dual wields swords that do electric things to people and make lots of shocky noises

Having just finished Normal, my Scion looks about like this (she's 2H Molten Strike, but there's nothing really specific to that). Next steps would be to fill out the life and mana/accuracy nodes in the Marauder area and eventually to spec out of all those resistance nodes once my gear can max me.

For something more dex-based, I'd probably start like this and then move towards Ranger for all the life and DW nodes, and eventually to Acrobatics and the Scion life wheel.

I should reiterate that I suck at this game.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #711 on: July 20, 2015, 08:11:19 AM

Woa! thank you. this is really useful info. This looked quite different from what I was thinking to try. How strongly should I preference specifically dual wielding and weapon specific nodes, or if I do that am I doing it wrong?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: July 20, 2015, 10:06:32 AM

Taking dual wielding nodes is generally fine; I only take weapon specific nodes if I have plenty of twink items.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: July 20, 2015, 07:21:33 PM

Woa! thank you. this is really useful info. This looked quite different from what I was thinking to try. How strongly should I preference specifically dual wielding and weapon specific nodes, or if I do that am I doing it wrong?

I think specific weapon type nodes are commonly avoided unless you have a specific insanely good or unique weapon required for your build.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #714 on: July 20, 2015, 07:36:18 PM

The problem is the two shocky lightning skills that come to mind for melee both are 2h I believe. Static Strike and Lightning Strike both want to go 2h over dw by miles I believe.

I think for dual swords you can go Reave or Ice Crash but I dunno I mainly cast things in poe when I do play. Cleave is supposed to not be dog shit but those other two are better.

So I think matching ALL of your criteria you'd go dw swords ele reave and hope for the best. Should be able to find some ideas of what the tree might look like.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #715 on: July 21, 2015, 03:01:22 PM

Eep. Ok. Hmm. Arc scion?
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: July 21, 2015, 04:01:08 PM

Is DW generally non-viable now unless one of the weapons is a stat stick? Seems like you're just giving up mana efficiency in exchange for 15% block, compared to 2H. Does 1H damage just not scale into lategame as well as 2H?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #717 on: July 21, 2015, 06:03:51 PM

I gave up on melee in poe so long ago that I have no idea.

Arc is good.

If you are going lightning you are basically always going to go crit. Because shock stacks are what make lightning work/worth it.

Here's a really really durr basic level 90 points from Scion starter, mostly netdecked. Get life. Get crit stuff. Get more life. Repeat. This gives you MoM because you are a caster and MoM is good and tons of jewel nodes because they are amazing lategame. Remember to skip things that don't seem helpful or deviate if you want to / need to you can always respec about 20 points or so free and then there are orbs of regret for anything else.

Essentially you take all the starting Scion stuff because its good, esp the hp wheel. Then you go to witch, get power charges, crit and lightning damage. Then go to templar picking up life and crit and get more life and a power charge there along with Templar starting area's more efficient nodes.

Then you zap stuff. Don't forget spell echo with arc I'm pretty sure its tits. I believe you also run increased crit chance and crit multi. And just watch things die. Beware reflect.

I'd give you the link but the offline calc and the poe site calc aren't playing nice atm and I can't be arsed to fix whatever that is about.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:13:53 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: July 22, 2015, 07:25:36 AM

Well I've been out of town for awhile so I'm a week or so behind but I finally got a chance to login and get a feel for the game again (briefly).  I forgot how depressing an empty stash is  awesome, for real.  Once I get a couple stacks of wisdoms things should pick up a bit though.

I'm thinking about try a Wild Strike build just because it looks interesting.  It seems like lots of people are playing ice crash so I'm sure I'll have to try that at some point as well.

I ran MoM + Arctic Armor and Molten Shell on CWDT on one of my last Scions and it was really tanky.  I really like that setup.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: July 23, 2015, 07:13:55 AM

Good riddance to the Dark Forest I don't miss that zone at all  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?   I do kind of miss coves though I really liked that zone, it was short and unique.  I'd rather they would've gotten rid of one of the caverns of anger/wrath instead.

Also I wish they would have pruned some of the content between Piety and Dominus at the end of Act 3, some of those zones like Imperial Gardens/Hedge Maze are really awful.

The early Gems seem really underwhelming.  10% Phys and 50 armor isn't a horrible node but it's not really great either.  I guess waiting to take them until you find a powerful gems is more of the right move.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #720 on: July 23, 2015, 08:23:56 AM

I take it is better to just ignore Shock specific parts of the tree?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: July 23, 2015, 08:35:35 AM

Increased Shock Chance is pretty useful.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: July 27, 2015, 07:08:42 AM

If you're going EB and Lightning, Static Blows is right there and it's a great node.

Not sure how I feel about Wild Strike so far since you actually have to click on the mobs unlike reave or cleave it just doesn't feel great.  I'll probably keep going with it for awhile to see if I can get used to it.  If not I can always fall back on a Spectral Throw build.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #723 on: March 03, 2016, 01:42:04 PM

Patch notes for this weekend's expansion (Ascendancy) started off excellently: the full passive reset is optional.  Since I just re-allocated my skills this week, that's very welcome.

The rest of it is either going to be really cool or really infuriating.

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: March 06, 2016, 06:57:13 AM

The rest of it is either going to be really cool or really infuriating.

We caucused at my house, and "infuriating" won without a coin toss.

The ascendancy Labyrinth takes some of the worst parts of PoE, polishes them to a high sheen of suck, and doubles (possibly triples or even quadruples) the amount of time you want or need to experience them.

For a game that is really, really bad at maps, level design, and navigation choosing "Labyrinth" as a design point for one of your new features is either darkly ironic or shockingly unaware... doing so without waypoints and making it long, tedious, beset with traps and lag, and punishable by death?  Well, infuriating is probably the right word.  Tediously infuriating is probably better...

Tell me I'm missing something about how to do the Labyrinth that makes it fun or possible to do in chunks.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:58:53 AM by March »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #725 on: March 06, 2016, 06:30:57 PM

The ascendancy stuff I found was really stupid. I just started again after quitting for a while before the Vaal stuff dropped so it's like 3 major patches since I've played.

I've built my ranger to some netdecked cookie-cutter build that's supposed to be good and I'm working my way through stuff- I'm doing way better than I did on my old spec but my gear is such garbage it's not funny.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #726 on: March 07, 2016, 07:00:04 AM

I want to be optimistic.  I don't see how I can get behind the labyrinth's more punishing features.  I will try it and if it doesn't work then I suppose it's Not For Me.

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: March 07, 2016, 05:25:56 PM

from patch notes today:

The Labyrinth
The goal of Labyrinth's design was to make a section of a game that players have to complete in one run. This means that we don't need to design around Alt-F4ing in combat or refilling flasks via portals. This makes for a very different experience to regular Path of Exile play. It also give Standard players a taste of the adrenaline experienced by Hardcore players.

Ohhhhh, I see.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #728 on: March 07, 2016, 06:12:44 PM

Yeah, that's what we Standard League dumbasses were missing out on.  Accidentally.  Because we don't know what Hardcore means.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #729 on: March 08, 2016, 12:47:39 PM

The item display filters are tits.

Hoth
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: March 10, 2016, 10:40:53 PM

They are. Make sure to grab one with a sound notification on drop, I can't imagine how much stuff I left behind just because it dropped slightly out of sight in the earlier leagues.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #731 on: March 11, 2016, 12:03:36 PM

I'm one of those people who always show all loot names, which I think is abnormal, so I just wrote my own that hides Normal and Magic equipment.  It also shows things of any rarity with linked red-green-blue sockets because Chromatic money.  If I think I'm missing out somehow, ALT (or whatever) will still show everything.

I will look at silencing the sounds of Normal and Magic as well, since that seems to come through somehow.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: March 11, 2016, 01:04:38 PM

I'm one of those people who always show all loot names, which I think is abnormal, so I just wrote my own that hides Normal and Magic equipment.  It also shows things of any rarity with linked red-green-blue sockets because Chromatic money.  If I think I'm missing out somehow, ALT (or whatever) will still show everything.

I will look at silencing the sounds of Normal and Magic as well, since that seems to come through somehow.
I would really appreciate it you were willing to share your filter.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Hoth
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: March 11, 2016, 01:20:36 PM

I would really appreciate it you were willing to share your filter.

If you want to configure your own filter I can recommend Neversinks Lootfilter. Its pretty well organized and commented and has even a quasi barebone version from which you can develop your own filter.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #734 on: March 15, 2016, 05:19:25 PM

I'm using Neversink's ranger spec with Tornado Shot and it is hilariously good. I'm mopping most stuff in Merciless up and my gear is fucking garbage.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile  
Jump to: