Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:10:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Sell me on your favorite class 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sell me on your favorite class  (Read 43398 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: December 10, 2011, 10:26:04 AM

In most PvP I've done in other games, mobility is extremely important.

This.  I want to play a sniper, but have my concerns with a few of the pvp maps.  Huttball would be a nightmare to play as a sniper.  I think an inquisitor would be my preferred pvp choice down the madness line.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: December 10, 2011, 01:19:51 PM

I believe sniper's get a "Fuck you, I'm an anteater!" skill, in the form of a PBAoE high yield knockback.  Should be some other tools too, like sleep darts and shit.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: December 10, 2011, 01:37:43 PM

It's not terribly interesting, but it isn't terribly broken either. Like, it works, you can't really gimp yourself and it gives people "something" every time they ding.
Which I end up ignoring for several levels at a time because the talents do nothing.  "Oh hey, my skill thingie is blinking.  Guess I can distribute those points.  Enh.  Maybe later."

No they do stuff, it's fairly important, just not a interesting choice decision wise.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: December 10, 2011, 01:41:09 PM

Snipers also get a 20 second complete CC immunity ability they can activate once a minute, as long as they don't move from their cover.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: December 10, 2011, 01:43:15 PM

Snipers are great if you play in a group. If you want to be the lonewolf badass roaming the battlefield, play something else.

Like a Commando/Mercenary.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #145 on: December 10, 2011, 01:53:30 PM

Huttball would be a nightmare to play as a sniper.  I think an inquisitor would be my preferred pvp choice down the madness line.
My favorite NDA-leak video was the lvl 50 BH huttball video. I think he was a powertech, but I forget, been a while. You could argue that he was 50 and many of the others were scaled up, thus not having their full ability bars...but it was still really cool.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: December 10, 2011, 02:25:14 PM

Snipers also get a 20 second complete CC immunity ability they can activate once a minute, as long as they don't move from their cover.

Yeah this.  If they are sitting in a corner somewhere with their shield up, they can be a real pain in the ass.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: December 10, 2011, 02:30:17 PM

No they do stuff, it's fairly important, just not a interesting choice decision wise.
You forget you're talking to Queen "I Choose Interesting Talents Over Useful Ones", Duchess of "Making Guildies Roll Their Eyes At Her Spec".

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #148 on: December 10, 2011, 02:33:44 PM

I can't speak for the late game, but my experience playing as a Sith Juggernaut was that the guys with the pretty cover shields were the easiest to kill. It generally meant that they'd CC themselves by never moving, no matter how much you wailed on them. Also, the cover is supposed to prevent the sith 'Force Charge' ability, but rarely seemed to do so. I guess it only works in a fairly limited cone.

Granted bad players are bad players, but bad IAs/Smugglers are free kills.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #149 on: December 10, 2011, 04:11:36 PM

A video I watched of a gunslinger PvPing had him moving around a lot, really. He did alright but it definitely seemed like MOVING GOOD, SITTING BAD.

God Save the Horn Players
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: December 10, 2011, 04:21:19 PM

Yeah, pvp is always about mobility.  Sitting still is never a good idea.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #151 on: December 10, 2011, 05:20:38 PM

So let me get this straight. They have an ability to be completely immune to CC as long as they don't move? I sorta get it, I think.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: December 10, 2011, 05:55:20 PM

So let me get this straight. They have an ability to be completely immune to CC as long as they don't move? I sorta get it, I think.

It means they can't be knockbacked/stunned.  They also can't be targeted by like Force Leap and such.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #153 on: December 10, 2011, 08:32:26 PM

CC = can't do stuff. Agent in cover = can do awesome stuff.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #154 on: December 11, 2011, 03:01:32 AM

Yeah... I thought about it in those regards, mainly in not being stunned. That was the sorta get it part.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: December 11, 2011, 06:57:41 AM

They have some long cast time shots that do great damage.  Behind a shield they can't be interrupted or pushed back on their cast time.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: December 11, 2011, 08:04:40 AM

The day I took my sniper out pvping was apparently Huttball day.  After the first game, or two, where I was figuring out the map, and what not, I did fine.  I had one match with a low to mid twenties Sniper on my team who just ran around, and never used her shield.  I made use of the shield quite extensively, and blew her out of the water in every category at level 15.

That said, any sniper that just stays behind the shield while they're being beaten on, is an idiot.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: December 11, 2011, 09:50:57 AM

In most PvP I've done in other games, mobility is extremely important.

This.  I want to play a sniper, but have my concerns with a few of the pvp maps.  Huttball would be a nightmare to play as a sniper.  I think an inquisitor would be my preferred pvp choice down the madness line.

Believe it or not, Huttball is fun as hell with a sniper.  Plenty of spots to find cover and nuke people and watch them go crazy trying to find you especially if you on one of the bridges/high points where it's not easy for them to get to you.  It is the ideal Gunslinger/Sniper map.  When I played a Gunslinger/Sniper, my favorite thing to do was to act as kind of a last stand and defend our goal line.  Staying on the back side of your 'end zone' still allowed you to have access to a chunk of map forward.

In Huttball, as a sniper your job is to keep them from scoring, to play defense.  It's not sexy, but man can you rack up a ton of kills.  And if you can cause enough grief for them to actively want to find you, you're doing your team a HUGE favor in terms of getting the numbers game on your teams side.  Piss off enough people by being a complete DPS pain in the ass, and a couple or three will peel off and try and find you and their goal becomes ruining your day.  Conversely, as an operative and especially if you have spec'd into the movement boosting and melee abilities, your job is to be a scorer.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: December 11, 2011, 10:06:52 AM

Believe it or not, Huttball is fun as hell with a sniper.  Plenty of spots to find cover and nuke people and watch them go crazy trying to find you especially if you on one of the bridges/high points where it's not easy for them to get to you.  It is the ideal Gunslinger/Sniper map.  When I played a Gunslinger/Sniper, my favorite thing to do was to act as kind of a last stand and defend our goal line.  Staying on the back side of your 'end zone' still allowed you to have access to a chunk of map forward.

In Huttball, as a sniper your job is to keep them from scoring, to play defense.  It's not sexy, but man can you rack up a ton of kills.  And if you can cause enough grief for them to actively want to find you, you're doing your team a HUGE favor in terms of getting the numbers game on your teams side.  Piss off enough people by being a complete DPS pain in the ass, and a couple or three will peel off and try and find you and their goal becomes ruining your day.  Conversely, as an operative and especially if you have spec'd into the movement boosting and melee abilities, your job is to be a scorer.

Thanks for this.  I'm really wanting to play sniper with a team for open world pvp, but had my concerns about the instanced maps.  You've helped me feel better about wanting to play a sniper.  I enjoy playing defense (World of tanks and playing a tank destroyer helped) and think this may be fun from a strategic standpoint.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #159 on: December 11, 2011, 10:41:23 AM

I enjoy playing defense (World of tanks and playing a tank destroyer helped) and think this may be fun from a strategic standpoint.
If you think about it, the TD and sniper have lot in common indeed. You just get to carry around your own portable bush with the sniper. Sort of.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #160 on: December 11, 2011, 11:48:31 AM

Ok, can somebody sell me on, or at least clarify, how a Jedi Sage plays?  Been looking at going consular for awhile, since a Telekinetic Force mage sounds fun.  However, I do see they also have the healing tree.  So, If I went telekinetic spec, would they still play like a high damaging mage?  Or are they somewhat gimped DPS wise, like priest, because they can heal?  I played a priest as my main in wow for a few years, and while I enjoy healing, I kind of wanted to do something different this time around.  Though looks like they combo-ed the mage and priest together...

Anyways, if anybody if anybody could give me some specifics into how they play from their experience, I'd appreciate it. 

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: December 11, 2011, 11:54:22 AM

Ok, can somebody sell me on, or at least clarify, how a Jedi Sage plays?  Been looking at going consular for awhile, since a Telekinetic Force mage sounds fun.  However, I do see they also have the healing tree.  So, If I went telekinetic spec, would they still play like a high damaging mage?  Or are they somewhat gimped DPS wise, like priest, because they can heal?  I played a priest as my main in wow for a few years, and while I enjoy healing, I kind of wanted to do something different this time around.  Though looks like they combo-ed the mage and priest together...

Anyways, if anybody if anybody could give me some specifics into how they play from their experience, I'd appreciate it. 

The DPS specs are pretty much true DPS specs.  They are all balanced around each other as much as they possibly can.  Seeing that Sith Sorc is pretty popular and Sage is the mirror, good bet it's going to be fine for DPS'ing.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: December 11, 2011, 11:57:39 AM

The Sage will only be gimped DPS if you spec the healing tree. If you spec either of the DPS tress you'll be competitive DPS (BW's goal is for all DPS ACs to be equal, assuming you spec correctly) and a gimped healer instead.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: December 11, 2011, 01:17:39 PM

They basically hide most of the healing beyond "Big heal, little heal" in the healing trees to keep from healing hybrids having to be balanced around "can heal well, too!"

If you're not specced to heal you CAN heal, just not very well at all. Maybe a bit better later when you have spare points to put in the low tier, but then you'd probably be chomping off a bunch of damage by split speccing.

I do think their tree design will fail horribly if they up the level cap in an expansion, just like WoW had to shuffle shit around when they went "oh shit, now you can get X and Y from another tree!"
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: December 11, 2011, 02:21:11 PM

WOW always struggled with PvPers making hybrid builds that could reasonably well do both healing and damage (or control).  What stops you in TOR from hybrid grabbing low-hanging fruit out of healing tree and really upping survivability (when compared to pure DPS) that way?

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: December 11, 2011, 02:33:38 PM

I really enjoy playing melee classes, but really don't want to get into light sabers because that what I see 90% of all players going to play as. Since I mostly PvP, deciding factor going to be PvP ability of any class I pick.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: December 11, 2011, 04:51:59 PM

I really enjoy playing melee classes, but really don't want to get into light sabers because that what I see 90% of all players going to play as. Since I mostly PvP, deciding factor going to be PvP ability of any class I pick.

You'll want Vanguard(Trooper)/Powertech(BountyHunter)  or Scoundrel(smuggler)/Operative(Imperial Agent). Despite the fact they use guns and have long ranged attacks, they are in fact melee classes.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: December 11, 2011, 05:12:09 PM

WOW always struggled with PvPers making hybrid builds that could reasonably well do both healing and damage (or control).  What stops you in TOR from hybrid grabbing low-hanging fruit out of healing tree and really upping survivability (when compared to pure DPS) that way?

They hide the HoTs/AE Heals at the 21/31 point tiers. So basically you can grab low hanging fruit to make your big heal faster/more effective, but you still need to stand around for 2.5s to cast it in pvp. Then they hide your core damage skills above 21 as well to do the same thing for dps.

WoW didn't have that many problems until expansions started doing silly things like rogue prep/whatnot builds where hiding something at 11/21 points didn't make it impossible to take anymore.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: December 12, 2011, 10:12:45 PM

Just puttin this here to save a build I may try:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400dZMIrbRRrRrsZh.1

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Sell me on your favorite class  
Jump to: