Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: How far can we go with this light/dark? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How far can we go with this light/dark?  (Read 46361 times)
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

on: December 04, 2011, 03:32:35 PM

My question applies to the whole game but I specifically would like to know about the Sith Inquisitor.  According to the description, you can "exploit your allies as well as your enemies."  So can you go against the expected path of your faction and not harm any aspect of your stats?  For example, a Republic character who goes full dark side choices, or Sith Empire who makes all light side choices.  Does this limit item use or content in any way?  Or does the game pretty much go with anything and the choices remain purely cosmetic?

I rather enjoy the prospect of being a subversive Sith Inquisitor. 

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:36:13 PM

Dark Side/Light side is mainly story choices and different appearance in gear that you can get.  Also the dark side corruption.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:41:15 PM

It's cosmetics and lore.  That's it.  All of the gear that requires "Dark Side level 5" has a "Light Side level 5" equivalent stat-wise.  The difference is the appearance of the item on your character.  LS/DS options also affect your progression of the story in the game, in that certain choices made may/will impact your solo progression (and in the case of flashpoints, the progression of the group).  How 'deep' you go only unlocks the deeper tiers of gear.

You can go as far Light or Dark as you want, or even stay gray.  Play the way you want to play.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:13:08 PM

Actually, in a typical Bioware fashion, you cannot play grey. There is no neutral equivalent for the gear you get in the game which has dark / light side  requirements. They have said they aim to add this in post-launch but there's a lot of other stuff on that list as well. So unless you commit to one path or the other expect to be denied access to gear as you play.

This is especially annoying for class like the Imperial Agent, where the choices will often push you down a neutral path because some of the light side choices are good for the empire and some of the dark side choices are stupid kitten killing exercises that make no sense. My agent was solid neutral at the end of this weekend because there was never a consistent path to take in conversation choices.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:19:59 PM

Bah, nevermind.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:25:04 PM by luckton »

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 04:32:53 PM

Dark Side/Light side is mainly story choices and different appearance in gear that you can get.  Also the dark side corruption.

This also affects eye color. As you hit higher levels of darkside, your eyes and skin change. I noticed my twi'lek's green eyes suddenly were orange and thought it a bug before I was told that is the corruption twisting your appearance. Kinda awesome IMHO.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 05:48:45 PM

I still dont understand how nearly half the classes in the game cant be played the way they're supposed to since you cant go 'grey.'  Wtf is the point of BH/Smug now?  And agent?  Heh.  Even moreso.
Any timeframe on this miracle grey patch?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 05:52:40 PM

What is this "supposed to" nonsense? My smuggler has a heart of gold.  Ohhhhh, I see.

EDIT: Also, there's still shit with no requirements, it's just if you desperately want your lightsaber to be red, you best be going dark side.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:55:55 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 06:14:57 PM

Didn't the devs already tell us they planned to add "grey" items for the neutrals to use?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 06:25:47 PM

Yes, but they didn't say when exactly, so obviously not until three years from now.  why so serious?

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 06:40:44 PM

Btw... does "The Dark Side"(TM) corrupt only force users visually ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 06:59:19 PM

Though I've only really gone heavily dark-side with a sith warrior, from reading forum posts my understanding is that it affects everyone equally - force user or no.

Now there is/was an option to 'toggle off' corruption, however I heard a rumour that this had been removed. Not sure what the status of this is at the moment.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 09:03:14 PM

Btw... does "The Dark Side"(TM) corrupt only force users visually ?

Oops read that wrong..

It shows on everyone but you can/could toggle it on or off.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:19:31 PM by Evildrider »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 09:58:10 PM

The main thing to remember with Dark/Light choices in terms of story, is your still more or less loyal to your faction.

Like, no matter how Mercenary and Self serving a trooper you make, your still ultimately loyal to the republic. If you weren't, you would be a Bounty Hunter instead.

No matter how kind and selfless your inquisitor is, your still generally loyal to the empire.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 12:47:47 AM

Right. Although the Bounty Hunter in particular has a good many dialogue choices pointing out that he isn't actually part of the Empire, to various exasperated imperial NPCs  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 06:38:12 AM

What is this "supposed to" nonsense? My smuggler has a heart of gold.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Neat. Who did he steal that from?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 06:58:50 AM

She ain't tellin'.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

(Spoiler: Probably some hooker.)

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 03:15:25 PM

So press 1 for LS points and 3 for DS points.  Never press 2. Got it.
Old gripe of mine.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 03:54:54 PM

Eh, sometimes there will be two light side options and one dark, or the reverse, or two nothing responses with one light (or dark) side choice.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 04:04:00 PM

But sometimes the 1/3 will differ from what your companion thinks.  The solution of course is to just take Diplomacy and Underworld trading so you can min/max your dark/light side and companion love.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 04:05:40 PM

I usually ignore what my companion thinks, because it seems like all my starting companions that I played with universally think my characters are all pussies.  why so serious?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 04:16:31 PM

The Droid totally loves light-side Jedi.  The more positive and helpful the response the more + points I'd see float by.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 04:20:53 PM

Yeah I just happened to pick classes with TOUGH GUY (OR LADY) MERCY SUX first companions. :P

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 04:21:26 PM

Kaliyo really likes it when my IA is snarky.  Not really evil or good, but sometimes even the snarky LS stuff gets her to like me  Heart

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 04:25:27 PM

You guys talk funny.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 05:17:09 PM

Kaliyo had huge amounts of affection for me due to responses, and I hadn't even left Hutta.

Two snarky Rattataki, wandering the galaxy, causing trouble...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 05:19:19 PM

I would two steps forward, 80 steps back with Kaliyo, because I would snark snark snark, show mercy, snark snark snark. She enjoyed me sassing people, no doubt, but she REALLY fucking hated when I would take "kill 'em quick" over "let 'em linger."

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 06:24:18 PM

When it comes to Light Side/Dark Side over the two factions, I've been informed that for the Sith Empire, Light/Dark is more or less analgous to Loyal/Chaotic (or Selfish, if you like), so that makes a little more sense to me when you're playing a character who will, regardless of choices, remain a part of their faction. Take that as you will.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 06:32:48 PM

When it comes to Light Side/Dark Side over the two factions, I've been informed that for the Sith Empire, Light/Dark is more or less analgous to Loyal/Chaotic (or Selfish, if you like), so that makes a little more sense to me when you're playing a character who will, regardless of choices, remain a part of their faction. Take that as you will.

You say that but it sure seemed like some of the Inquisitor dark side choices were mustache twirling evil while the light side were bending over backwards so far while trying to save some schlub's life it would get your character executed if there were an actual chance of getting caught doing it.

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 06:34:14 PM

Light/Dark on my Trooper was often a choice of doing the 'Right' thing vs. doing the 'Smart' thing.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 05, 2011, 06:37:58 PM

For many of the choices that is true.

With my Inquisitor it was about leaving people alive who could one day prove useful.  I figure leaving a trail of people indebted to me is better than one scorched into nothing.  I don't know why someone seeking power would close off so many potential avenues to be exploited.

The main thing was to pick choices that fit my character and not worry so much about whether it was light/dark.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 05, 2011, 07:22:05 PM

I'm just happy that the dark side choices aren't all Chaotic Stupid/Snidely Whiplash, like they were in KotoR I & II.  It's nice being able to be a Nietzschian/Machiavellian bastard that uses everyone to further their own agenda, rather than a mindless thug that would steal 5 credits from a homeless Rodian, or something.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #32 on: December 05, 2011, 07:40:54 PM

I don't know why someone seeking power would close off so many potential avenues to be exploited.

Because the Sith are fucking crazy, to the point where they're hilariously self-destructive sometimes. I have no questions as to how they got whittled down to JUST TWO, EVER after seeing how they function. I do enjoy how all the normal Empire people just basically facepalm at everything those crazy fuckers do.  Heart

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 05, 2011, 08:20:30 PM

While the Sith have a penchant for eating their own young, only in fan fiction would the Jedi win out against the Sith.  Only in Hollywood would the Empire lose to the Rebels, frankly.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 08:22:26 PM

I agree about the Empire not losing, but the Sith, while they might not lose to the Jedi specifically, are so self-destructive there's no way they'd be a lasting presence either.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: How far can we go with this light/dark?  
Jump to: