Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:06:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: S#5 - Game Day #3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S#5 - Game Day #3  (Read 31412 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: November 01, 2011, 10:14:02 AM

Wow, some general thoughts and responses...

...on my actual team...

Yeah, truckle needs to get drunk and forget how to fend, tackle, and avoid daunt. Not sure if I'll do it before or after the lizards, since dauntless would actually be pretty good against them. Also the reroll thing. That will knock me down 120 at least.

...throwers....

Only reason to buy one is leader, which represents a reroll for 40 gold and TV, as a opposed to an actual reroll which costs 120 gold and 60 tv. Unless he rolls +1 STR and becomes an awesome dude with a unique model ofc. Actual passing I find is rare enough that relying on team rerolls wouldn't be that  big a deal if I didn't have a Pass guy.

....runners....

Not having 2 on a Norse team seems crazy, extra MV and easy blodge access is priceless. I find you have to use the mobility of human teams to keep the opposition off balance, these help you a lot when trying to move the cage, they also work wonders as tacklers. Dauntless bloat is unfortunate, but in the context of a norse side, it is agility access you are paying for.

....fouling guy....

I was surprised for all the distaste for Eric, dropping Dirty Player only saves 20 TV, and I had always felt that I don't foul enough, but that was because I was doing it wrong and missing opportunities. Norse get player advantage fairly often and I usually want to be fouling as soon as I have player advantage. Will need to think about that one.

...kick guy....

There is no team I wouldn't pay 20k on for a kick guy. His injuries are unfortunate but I'll look to train a new kick guy before recycling him.

...squad size...

I honestly think about 12 is ok for a Norse side to start a game, I don't play them like Orcs or Khemri where you regularly leave players in contact, I use the blocking skills to punish anyone who gives me contact, then punch a neat hole somewhere are start moving the ball. But then you usually have one guy out with an injury, so a roster of 13 makes sense to me.

...beserkers...

Jesus christ someone suggested dropping beserkers.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #141 on: November 01, 2011, 02:56:49 PM

Me and Avaia should be playing in the next couple of hours.

How's it going with the other remaining game? (You have plenty of time anyway, so no hurry. Just asking)

avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: November 01, 2011, 03:10:06 PM

Me and Avaia should be playing in the next couple of hours.

How's it going with the other remaining game? (You have plenty of time anyway, so no hurry. Just asking)

heading home now...
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: November 01, 2011, 03:16:42 PM

I'm waiting at my computer to see if drogg will log on. Haven't heard form him yet today

I'm a bit pissed at the netwowk shinanigans to be honest.

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: November 01, 2011, 05:22:12 PM

Feminists 2 - Nurgles 0

Every girl is a riot  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: November 01, 2011, 06:10:02 PM

Pretty much as expected, I didn't have the skills to bring down the dodging girls or defend myself from the seemingly endless block and guard.

I took a gamble on the first turn when Flac had seven girls bunched together nicely at midfield waiting for a fireball.  Fireball only hit 2 of the 7 unfortunately, neither of which had the ball.  I got 1 KO out of it, much less than I had hoped for.  I'm not a fan of the fireball, now I remember why.

I didn't have much luck breaking armor when I did manage to get his team down.  He did manage to kill a warrior of mine, fortunately the winnings were screwy and I had exactly enough to buy a replacement after the match.  Dice seemed pretty normal other than my armor rolls (6/21).

I made an error that I warned myself against making about a minute before I did it, but apparently I forgot about the warning.  I had his ball carrier tied up with the tentacled before the first score, but couldn't resist the chance to put her down.  I had wanted to blitz with the beast if I was going to attempt a block at all (which would've been questionable by itself), but as stated... I messed up.  Sylvia kindly fended off the push and was free to proceed up the pitch some more.

Ah well... bring on the vamps!
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #146 on: November 01, 2011, 06:26:06 PM

So we have just a single game left to go?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #147 on: November 01, 2011, 06:43:12 PM

haha, it's good to see that as players become more experienced, people are falling over themselves to give advice.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #148 on: November 01, 2011, 06:53:37 PM

....fouling guy....

I was surprised for all the distaste for Eric, dropping Dirty Player only saves 20 TV, and I had always felt that I don't foul enough, but that was because I was doing it wrong and missing opportunities. Norse get player advantage fairly often and I usually want to be fouling as soon as I have player advantage. Will need to think about that one.

...kick guy....

There is no team I wouldn't pay 20k on for a kick guy. His injuries are unfortunate but I'll look to train a new kick guy before recycling him.

Yeah, I coloured since I just dropped my block dirty player linezombie, since I just don't seem to foul enough with him abd he hit 3 levels making him a 100TV fouler which isn't quite as efficient as your 70k fouler.

I understand the need for kick also  awesome, for real

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: November 01, 2011, 07:20:38 PM

....fouling guy....

...kick guy....

It's the niggling. That can really hurt you.

On the dirty player I'm not sure it's worth keeping him, but on the kick guy hanging on to him might be worth it until you get a replacement.

I dunno if kick is all that great really, especially on a MV5 niggling player. I rarely care much about it unless I'm playing a team with high MV dodge players (Pro Elves, Skaven, Wood Elves - other Elves, Lizards, etc to a lesser degree). Unless a back field kick forces the other side to drop back to cage, or allows you to run past and get the ball it's not a huge deal imo. (Again, sure many will disagree with me here). I don't have a kick player on my Skaven team and I haven't for nearly every game I've played. I'd love to have one (they keep getting killed) but I don't think it's going to make my side twice as good, and I play the side that can take most advantage from a good kick.

You might consider recycling the -AGI berserker, though I would do that before you have a couple of soft games to reskill him IMO. -AGI does suck a bit.

Getting tempted to ditch my Rat Ogre. Would trim my side back to around 1500 TV, without losing the game winning GRs.

In other news: Falc validates his own match, but doesn't approve feeder league teams?  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:27:04 PM by lamaros »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: November 01, 2011, 07:25:36 PM

Season 5 game cant be played. me and Drogg think our ISP might be blocking something that only rears its head when both players have it blocked. Anyway we've left it up to falc to decide what to do about it. Sorry guys.

Hic sunt dracones.
Strazos

Reply #151 on: November 01, 2011, 07:42:31 PM

Any of you have access to a VPN? Able to play sans firewalls ( swamp poop)?

Being forced to leave a game to die is unfortunate.  undecided

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: November 02, 2011, 11:13:50 AM

Any of you have access to a VPN? Able to play sans firewalls ( swamp poop)?

Being forced to leave a game to die is unfortunate.  undecided
i have a work vpn that's unfortunately even more locked down Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

after trying two different machines and connecting directly to my cable modem, it unfortunately it looks like i'm being blocked somewhere upstream.  sir T i think isn't as comfortable with networking but evidently paid some kind soul to handle all the port forwarding rules, and is ending up in the same morass as myself.  the only thing i can think of that we haven't yet tried is something like hamachi but i have a feeling that particular approach wouldn't play nice with the internet league infrastructure.  if you guys have any more ideas i'm all ears. we can give it a fourth try tonight if sir T is still up for it.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: November 02, 2011, 11:16:52 AM

Only advice I'll throw into the pile is to try turning off all firewalls (not just create a filter, but turn the shit off), try having both of you direct link to your ISP modems instead of going through a router, and maybe a spyware check?  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: November 02, 2011, 11:38:13 AM

if you guys have any more ideas i'm all ears.

My only idea is that maybe the machine's ip has changed since you set up forwarding.  Mine, for example, rotates through the 192.168.2.* internal addresses every couple of days, so before I can play multiplayer Blood Bowl, I have to pop into the router to make sure the port forwarding is still good or needs to be changed.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: November 02, 2011, 11:41:11 AM

My only idea is that maybe the machine's ip has changed since you set up forwarding.  Mine, for example, rotates through the 192.168.2.* internal addresses every couple of days, so before I can play multiplayer Blood Bowl, I have to pop into the router to make sure the port forwarding is still good or needs to be changed.

Not to derail too far here, but why setup a rotating IP like that unless your network is being shared outside of your private control/residence?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: November 02, 2011, 11:43:44 AM

It's my router, it just randomly assigns the internal ips based on what order I turn stuff on.  And there are like a dozen things - desktop, laptop (wired and wireless MACs), two iphones, xbox, roku, etc.  The only thing that cares, of course, is Blood Bowl.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #157 on: November 02, 2011, 11:45:44 AM

Proudft is one of those crazy people who doesn't just leave the main PC turned on.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: November 02, 2011, 11:47:43 AM

And static IP assignment by MAC address is a concept that's beyond your router's focus?

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: November 02, 2011, 11:53:39 AM

Either the router, or mine!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: November 02, 2011, 11:56:01 AM

avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: November 02, 2011, 12:31:52 PM

after trying two different machines and connecting directly to my cable modem, it unfortunately it looks like i'm being blocked somewhere upstream.  sir T i think isn't as comfortable with networking but evidently paid some kind soul to handle all the port forwarding rules, and is ending up in the same morass as myself.  the only thing i can think of that we haven't yet tried is something like hamachi but i have a feeling that particular approach wouldn't play nice with the internet league infrastructure.  if you guys have any more ideas i'm all ears. we can give it a fourth try tonight if sir T is still up for it.

Hamachi was recommended at one time on the official forums (a previous incarnation, likely).
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: November 02, 2011, 12:49:38 PM

checked this, disabled the firewalls at the OS and router level, re-DMZed, deleted and recreated the port forwarding rules, set up a trigger so that the rules would follow my NIC's MAC address, all for naught.  i'm running dd-wrt on my router and the logs don't point to anything weird happening at the router level.

and bear in mind, i tried plugging directly into the freakin' modem and still couldn't resolve our woes  0.0 DPS
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: November 02, 2011, 12:51:05 PM

Hamachi was recommended at one time on the official forums (a previous incarnation, likely).
will give it a shot tonight if sir T is down but unless i'm not really understanding cyanide's networking model (entirely possible) it doesn't seem like that would play nice with the internet league stack.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #164 on: November 02, 2011, 01:57:10 PM

It's Cyanide. Their Networking model probably relies on chicken guts and fucking truffle oil.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: November 02, 2011, 02:51:54 PM

I'm willing to give it a shot tonight but I'm heading away tomorrow so that will be it. Poke me on steam Drogg

Hic sunt dracones.
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: November 02, 2011, 03:28:46 PM

I'm willing to give it a shot tonight but I'm heading away tomorrow so that will be it. Poke me on steam Drogg
will do dude. should be back home in like...2 hours
Strazos

Reply #167 on: November 02, 2011, 04:24:43 PM

Either the router, or mine!

/facepalm

To be fair, a good number of folks here have probably never screwed with it so I'm not sure it's really facepalm worthy.

My current router is Verizon's, and while I CAN go in and futz with it, I'm loathe to do it, as I don't actually work in IT or anything so I have no particular expertise with it.

Fear the Backstab!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #168 on: November 02, 2011, 04:43:24 PM

As far as I am concerned, the internet works like magic. If it isn't working right, I ask my magician husband to fix it.

I'm a terrible nerd. On the other hand, he makes me put together all our furniture.

God Save the Horn Players
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: November 02, 2011, 06:35:51 PM

Sorry Droog. Its 1:45 AM and I have to be up early for the 100 mile journey I have to make tomorrow. Sorry guys.

Hic sunt dracones.
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: November 02, 2011, 08:31:06 PM

Sorry Droog. Its 1:45 AM and I have to be up early for the 100 mile journey I have to make tomorrow. Sorry guys.
argh, sorry dude :( i got stuck at work until (it appears) 14 minutes after you went to bed.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:28 PM

So, new day now, yes?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: November 03, 2011, 01:09:38 AM

I think I'll assign a tie to tha game considering they both tried, and they both can't connect to each other. The issue seems on both ends.

Thoughts? Even for the future, I mean.

Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: November 03, 2011, 01:22:51 AM

Absolutely a draw, from where I am standing. Like you said, they both made an effort, it just didn't work out.
Ulysees
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: November 03, 2011, 01:47:23 AM

Agree a tie is fair, if both tried but couldn't make it work it is not fair to penalise one of the players.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: S#5 - Game Day #3  
Jump to: