Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:11:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: LoL Stories, Share your good and bad here. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LoL Stories, Share your good and bad here.  (Read 356816 times)
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: September 27, 2011, 04:12:34 PM

If you do that though you will push your lane more than is probably healthy if they have a decent jungler.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: September 27, 2011, 04:14:05 PM

Normally the case but morg is very hard to gank like that.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: September 27, 2011, 04:25:26 PM

Maybe with your summoners up, but even she isn't immortal.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: September 27, 2011, 04:38:07 PM

Can't be CCed + flash makes it pretty tough.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: September 27, 2011, 05:11:18 PM

Can't be CCed + flash makes it pretty tough.

They can bait you into using it, or even break it beforehand by just using magic damage.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: September 27, 2011, 05:31:07 PM

Having flash means that summoner's are up. I frequently harass top to force them to blow their escape spelss, run off to do golems, and then come back for the real gank. It's pretty rare that I don't get a kill as long as my teammate knows what the buttons do.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: September 27, 2011, 06:45:27 PM

Wards in the river weeds are your friend mid-lane as Morgana if they have a jungler (or people who roam a lot).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: September 27, 2011, 11:54:10 PM

I had fun using Poppy last night, never played with such burst before. The downside is that in lvl14 solo queues you're 99% sure to die in every major engagement.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: September 28, 2011, 01:47:22 AM

Morgana is supposed to take mid. She is literally the hardest hero to gank unless she stands there to let you pop her black shield. To make things worse, most junglers lack the magic damage to pop her black shield, she can just walk back to the safety of her turret. And Morgana doesn't need to play hyper aggressive, she can just lay down soils and sit back. Not saying she can't be ganked, but the effort required dwarfs nearly other hero in the game.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: September 28, 2011, 08:28:35 AM

So, I've got a thing to get to at 8, but it's like 6:40, and I want to make dinner. Totally time for a Dominion game in there.

Might as well play Teemo for the first time too, hear he's good. Then everything loads up....why are there three lanes? Why do I only have 475 gold? Noooooo.

But it might go quick? And when my lane mate Xin facechecks a bush before I ever arrive to lane (I'm busy frantically looking up guides), and finds Akali and Rammus, and then facechecks the bush again, just to make sure that they're still there and kill him a second time, it's looking good. A third death by Xin before 5 minutes and everything is perfect.

But then we manage to drag the game out. Akali just steamrolls us early, but our Cait is rolling over their Teemo, and I'm managing to farm it up while Xin runs around. But time keeps on ticking, and ticking, and it's 30 minutes, then 40 minutes, and we get a Baron, but can't really push it into anything, and then push to their inhib, but they push all the way back, and I'm trying to get everybody to just make a glorious charge of the light brigade down mid, but nooo, doesn't happen. I basically rush their base and redown their inhib, and die. I'm doing pretty mediocre on Teemo, something like 6/7/12.

And really, at this point, I either have to miss the thing at 8, or just AFK, which would suck, so I decide it's time to just go out in a blaze of glory. There's a skirmish in mid while I'm still down that goes 2-1 for them, but I just hit my ghost, move quick, yell TEEEEMO and charge down mid, and pick up two stragglers, then a third near their base, and we punch their nexus in the face, and I'm already out the door before the game even ends.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: September 29, 2011, 06:08:19 AM

Morgana is supposed to take mid. She is literally the hardest hero to gank unless she stands there to let you pop her black shield. To make things worse, most junglers lack the magic damage to pop her black shield, she can just walk back to the safety of her turret. And Morgana doesn't need to play hyper aggressive, she can just lay down soils and sit back. Not saying she can't be ganked, but the effort required dwarfs nearly other hero in the game.

Also, unless you make your move just as Morgana is making a push on your mid champ, she'll probably have her nuke available to aid escaping. You can farm mid at a decent pace just using Soil and autoattacks, saving nukes for escapes or to poke at the enemy.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: September 29, 2011, 08:56:54 AM

Soil is expensive. If you can force Morgana to farm with soil and also to use shield from time to time she will be low on mana. To kill someone she needs to ult, binding and soil, which costs a lot of mana, which she often won't have if you are playing against her correctly.

Also most Morganas will shield as soon as there is a whiff of threat, rather than when that threat is incoming, which means you can often just wait it out. Maybe not so much for ganks but to just grind her down over time.

It is pretty had to get a kill on Morg but it's also very hard for her to kill anyone or convincingly win her lane. She does no real damage in lane without her ult, especially if you can dodge Q and or stay behind minions.

As Cass mid I go from breaking even vs. Morg to dominating, rarely losing. I put a bunch of damage on her and she puts very little on me, if she shields I just wait for it to go on CD then damage her. It helps that my spells are cheap and I'm a DPS mage more than one-and-done. I can usually force her to spam soil just to keep her health up, which means she doesn't have the mana for a full combo and no real chance to kill me. Also I dodge Q like a boss.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #117 on: September 29, 2011, 01:11:34 PM

Lunchtime bitchy fun! Got in a game of Summoner's, picked Alistair. I'm still new with him and with the whole concept of tankyness, but I've been getting a bit better in general lately. Started in bot with a Tristana against a Garen and another Alistair. We push pretty good, even managing to get multiple kills on Garen and one or two on Allistair before the first turret goes. As a matter of fact, we cleared the first 2 turrets on bottom before anyone else even pushed any further. At this point, team fights start breaking out, and there's a lot of back and forth along the mid. Finally, me and the Veigar see that the entire opposing team is pushing mid, so the two of us push that bot again. The Jungling Yi starts bitching at us, then starts bitching at me in broken Net speak because I'm dying so much. Now, I'll admit, I died a fuckload in this game. In fact, I was 0/17 at the end, BUT I ended up with 13 assists. I think the Yi was 7/6/7 but was bitching at me because of all my deaths. It seemed like most team fights that were not 4 or 5 of us hammering on 1-2, I would be left behind and focused to death.

I didn't expect a lot of kills, and I die a lot more than more competent players. But shouldn't the fact that I got 13 assists mitigate that? Oh and we won, thanks in part to the whole team diving through the center turrets and inhibitors. My creep score was also terrible (47) but I think part of that was Tristana getting a lot of those.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #118 on: September 29, 2011, 01:15:29 PM

That seems like a fair amount of dirt to be eating as Alistair.   Yi's tend to bitch.  Only champ that draws a douchier player base at this (lower) level seems to be Trynd.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #119 on: September 29, 2011, 01:24:56 PM

Oh I don't doubt I was dying more than I should. Most of my deaths also tended to be 2 and 3 v 1, while I watched my (apparently smarter) teammates run the fuck the other way.

Rasix

Reply #120 on: September 29, 2011, 01:28:29 PM

I tend to play like a coward.  It works out for me.  Of course, this means letting my overly-ballsy teammates die at times, which I probably shouldn't do.  

Some people just love to engage against really crappy odds and in really bad situations.  Always ends up the same for them too.  Rambo never makes it out alive.  Sometimes I feel bad and eat a death because I'm trying to CC the rampaging deathball that's plowing through my entire team.

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: September 29, 2011, 01:35:36 PM

If your tank is dying but your team is winning the team fights then it is all gravy.

If your tank dies and you end up not getting a kill advantage then it becomes an issue.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: September 29, 2011, 01:40:51 PM

Now, I'll admit, I died a fuckload in this game. In fact, I was 0/17 at the end, BUT I ended up with 13 assists. I think the Yi was 7/6/7 but was bitching at me because of all my deaths. It seemed like most team fights that were not 4 or 5 of us hammering on 1-2, I would be left behind and focused to death.

I didn't expect a lot of kills, and I die a lot more than more competent players. But shouldn't the fact that I got 13 assists mitigate that? Oh and we won, thanks in part to the whole team diving through the center turrets and inhibitors. My creep score was also terrible (47) but I think part of that was Tristana getting a lot of those.

Ok honestly 0/17/13 is pretty horrible score. In fact I havent see anyone that bad (but then again I been level 30 for a while). CS=47 is also something I see only on dedicated supports in ranked games only. In generally dying is never worth it  unless a) you kill tower b) you steal baron c) your team gets an ace,  tanks are not really expected to carry but keeping the number of deaths down is still very important.  Assists could be misleading so hard to tell here but generally good tank has 80%+ of all his team total kills in assists
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: September 29, 2011, 02:08:50 PM

Tanks are supposed to be the first to die, as long as your deaths are worthwhile.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: September 29, 2011, 02:32:53 PM

MadMax, give the newer people a break. You may be HotShotGG caliber in your own mind but a lot of the people you are belittling have not even played 100 games yet.

Rasix

Reply #125 on: September 29, 2011, 02:43:54 PM

I still have problems remembering where the buffs are for each side.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: September 29, 2011, 03:04:55 PM

There is a mental gap between having fun when you first start playing (diving in, kicking ass) and having fun because you are playing smart.

It takes awhile before you learn that playing like a pussy makes the moment taste like shit, but the entire game taste better.  For some of the guys that I played with, that's a three month gap.   (some will just never bridge that gap)

At some point after that, you start to get a better sense of when you can be more aggressive and when you can't.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 05:48:50 AM by Typhon »
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: September 29, 2011, 03:25:32 PM

MadMax, give the newer people a break. You may be HotShotGG caliber in your own mind but a lot of the people you are belittling have not even played 100 games yet.

Wasnt trying to be a dick .  One of the first things which improved my game was understanding that dying is  not worth it most of the time and tactical cowardly retreat is better than heroic death
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: September 29, 2011, 03:54:51 PM

Part of that shift in mindset is also realizing which characters will make it easier for you to be effective while erring on the side of caution. An overly-conservative Alistair could end up being nearly-useless to a team, whereas a conservative Ashe or Janna or Kog'maw will still be able to contribute, even if they miss opportunities to initiate or be effectively-aggressive because they are still training the 'don't die!' reflex that others have internalized.

It's true, though, when I watch streams of some of the better players I often find myself going 'why aren't you fighting? There's a fight right over there, why aren't you going there?!' while they sit and farm, seemingly oblivious but in-fact having just decided that it wasn't a fight worth getting involved in.

Of course the enormous gray-area in when it is and is not a good idea to engage in a fight means that this is by far the thing that players will most often disagree about -- especially since everyone is at a different point on the learning curve, and also because people are trying to over-correct in both directions simultaneously.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: September 29, 2011, 04:12:39 PM

Hyper conservatism is the reason why I don't get all jizzy about LoL as esports or hyper interested in playing the game at higher tiers. Maybe some team will figure out how to punish all the lazy players, but for now even watching a competitive LoL match with all the hyper ventilating commentary is the easiest way to go to sleep.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #130 on: September 29, 2011, 07:29:58 PM

I didn't expect a lot of kills, and I die a lot more than more competent players. But shouldn't the fact that I got 13 assists mitigate that?

What Mad_Max said, but I'll be nicer about it - especially as Alistar, who has decent sustain and CC and HP, you should not be dying like this. Especially when part of your job is to go in first, you really need to watch where and when you engage. Try to force the opponent team to make the first mistake, then try to punish them ruthlessly for it.

Remember - Discretion is the better part of Valor.

EDIT: Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVg6fmiICdI - do you really want to disappoint her with your feeding? Also, she helped me realize that trading kills is really stupid if it can be avoided.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:33:08 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #131 on: September 29, 2011, 09:02:20 PM

Here's the thing. I know I suck, and part of that is the fact that I'm naturally aggressive in games. I came to play and to me play means fight and fight means RRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGG!!! Tempering that is difficult. 13 assists tells me that yes, I died too much, but I was helping. No one in the game got more assists, no one on our team got more than 8 or 9 kills, and we still won the game. I was more concerned with my low creep score than my high deaths or no kills.

I also initiated a good bit - which is part of why I died so goddamn many times. I initiate with 2 other teammates around me, within 20 seconds I'm dead and my teammates aren't in view. It doesn't help to initiate if your team is hightailing it the other way.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #132 on: September 29, 2011, 09:21:03 PM

Well, yeah there's that problem - passive teams that don't want to fight.

I'm super aggressive too, as if my Bloodbowl play wasn't indication enough. Just follow 3 simple rules -

1. Don't Die
2. Kill Creeps
3. Goto 1

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: September 29, 2011, 10:30:53 PM

So I just play a Dominion game.

Sivir and Garen apparently were real life friends.

Sivir is not paying attention to anything the whole team says at the beginning which pretty much was "Garen goes to the lower point, everyone else top".

Sivir proceeds to follow Garen bottom, then spend the next 2 minutes talking about some bitch they both know he was "talking on the phone for an hour" with just now. Literally neither one of them are paying attention to shit while me (on Rammus), Ashe, and Jarvan are busy trying to defend the other two points while those two chucklefucks can't even keep one turret alone against Malzahar. Game proceeds with them capturing and keeping 4 points pretty much non-stop.

And I finish the game dead last because I spend the whole time dying to defend points we do have 3v1.

Rasix

Reply #134 on: September 29, 2011, 11:05:36 PM

I got paired (as Gangplank) with the same Trist, (who was pretty good) and we just obliterated in two straight games.  Both times I got put up top against people that thought it'd be a good idea to keep eating a face full of Parrrley and tower dive.  The Trist pretty much had middle locked down the entire time.

10/0/8 and 14/0/10.  Both games didn't make it past 30 minutes.  The Trist only died 4 times between both games as well, and she had a Xin all over her first game.  

Plank is a little nuts though.  He's already been nerfed right?  why so serious?

-Rasix
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #135 on: September 30, 2011, 05:56:43 AM

You add that Trist as a friend? Duo queuing is great because you know at least 1 person won't be horrible :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: September 30, 2011, 06:50:03 AM

Lost four games in a row on dominion last night, mostly due to teammates who ignore objectives, tower dive 3+ people etc... Had a yi who while i was trying to recap a point chase an ashe and then subsequently die to someone else. Had people just cap point and then rush of to die one by one to the team of people coming to recap. Hold 3 and wait doesn't jive with most players it seems.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: September 30, 2011, 06:55:48 AM

It definitely doesn't. I think the most apt analogy I've heard is it's like watching 7 year olds chase a football around a pitch.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: September 30, 2011, 07:26:34 AM

I seem to be having a run of games where simply terrible players are present.

First example: Enemy Soraka rushes Archangels Staff and then bets basic boots and starts spamming /all abut how they only have 1K health and it's not fair. They then vendor their stuff and start building Rabadons, spending quite a lot of time dead in between. They then vendor everything and well.... you can see.

Second example: I get teamed up with this group, which includes a Teemo who just won't stop dying. The enemy Teemo DCs for about 20mins and even though we are 5v4, our Teemo and MF keep running off solo and getting ganked. Fortunately Myself, WW and Yi are pretty competent, and manage to hold things together as a pack of three. Teemo seems to have some obsession with the bottom lane, and just runs off to overextend himself. Even with the three of us yelling at him not to go alone, to fall back the guy just does nothing. Probably had us on ignore by that point. At one stage he had both Mejai's and Blade of the Occult, and was building something with a Giant's Belt. He traded his Mejai's in for Warmogs by the end of the game though. Somehow, even when we made it back to 5v5, the three of us who were competent managed to push one inhibitor, then Yi got two aces and we got the other inhibitors down, then it was gg. Bizarre game.

I check the Teemo afterwards. He is level 10 with only 2 wins; our MF was level 13 with only 3 wins... What the hell? Are these people only playing Bot games and losing or something?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: September 30, 2011, 07:29:31 AM

A lot of people don't play vs people when they first start. The wins only show for normal games, so you may have gotten two people who have maybe played 20 games in Normal between them.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: LoL Stories, Share your good and bad here.  
Jump to: