Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:04:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Terra Nova 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terra Nova  (Read 28606 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: October 03, 2011, 11:23:43 AM

You are out your mind.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: October 03, 2011, 12:20:24 PM

I thought the effects were fine for a network tv show.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: October 03, 2011, 12:25:23 PM

Mansquito set a pretty high bar. Let's be fair!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 03, 2011, 12:25:44 PM

I've been watching too much HBO. I kept waiting for one of the family to be brutally killed then I remembered it was a Spielberg produced network show so I switched away.

edit- also surprised they didn't somehow find a way to smuggle in their lovable family dog in too.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:27:36 PM by Speedy Cerviche »
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: October 03, 2011, 03:20:44 PM

HBO eh? Have they had a nude sex scene yet?    awesome, for real

Never mind. What little remains of my mind seems to have wandered off....
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:23:38 PM by Nyght »

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 04, 2011, 05:40:59 AM

Had the first 'filler' episode last night.

Is it me, or does it seem like the Avatar-guy is trying to play his role too hard?  Like, William Shatner/Capt. Kirk hard?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #76 on: October 04, 2011, 06:25:19 AM

I watched the pilot over the weekend, though I missed the first half. Apparently you can go to jail because it's a crime to have a third kid, but there's no state-enforced abortion? Right. Kind of stupid to base a show on an issue solved by one of the more controversial political and spiritual topics. But never mind...dinosaurs!

I ended up playing guitar through last night's episode, so it's going off the DVR.

Though emo kid's love interest is really fucking hot. Great expressions.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: October 04, 2011, 06:52:21 AM

This production was simply Spielberg swingin his dick over the next hawt script to arrive in Hollywood.  Apparently there was a bidding war over it from some unknown British writer and a pissing match ensued.  That momentum carried into production and created the most expensive POS ever produced for TV.  Nice.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: October 04, 2011, 07:03:50 AM

The price being tossed around has been said to be false.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 04, 2011, 09:20:49 AM

The price being tossed around has been said to be false.

So it's now the most expensive POS rather than the most expensive?
Seriously, wtf is Spielberg doing with his career these days?  It's like he's just churning out treadmilled crap on purpose.  Is he actually making money with these things?  I could understand if he was the director and getting a paycheck regardless, but in these cases he's a Producer.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 04, 2011, 10:06:47 AM

Well, First, "POS" is your opinion. Second, the 20 million price tag has said to be false by the directors. I'm not sure what you are saying with the rest of your post. Considering its been picked up by stations around the world, I bet he makes money, yes.

Also, Dinosaurs!

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: October 04, 2011, 10:09:44 AM

This thread is just chock full of the usual F13 "we hate popular blockbusters" attitude.  It's getting kind of predictable.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #82 on: October 04, 2011, 10:14:24 AM

Along with your typical "TURN YER BRAIN OFF, DERP.  OOH BAYSPLOSIONS." from the usual suspects.  Goes both ways.  Heroes sucked too, btw.

-Rasix
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 04, 2011, 10:18:35 AM

Along with your typical "TURN YER BRAIN OFF, DERP.  OOH BAYSPLOSIONS." from the usual suspects.  Goes both ways.  Heroes sucked too, btw.

Heroes did suck?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 04, 2011, 10:27:09 AM

I don't think Heroes had many defenders left by the time it was mercifully cancelled.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: October 04, 2011, 10:30:30 AM

Why do we need to "turn our brains off" to enjoy something thats clearly intentionally campy? That's what I don't get. Its like, for some, watching TV is a cultural movement and a life affirming event, or it sucks ass. Fuck that, I want Dinosaurs eating stupid people in a fort on the other side of a stargate.

Whats wrong with you people?

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 04, 2011, 10:44:28 AM

Because my brain keeps telling me how bad the script, acting and plot is so I find it hard to enjoy this show while that's happening. There is intentionally campy and tongue in cheek sure but I don't get that vibe from this show, to me its clearly board room style thinking where they took a generous dose of Avatar and Jurassic Park added a pinch of Lost and let that stew in Brannon Braga's cesspool of a mind and voila we have Terra Nova. To contrast I find watching something like tru blood entertaining, where its kinda of ridiculous when you think about it but at least the story and acting stand up.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: October 04, 2011, 10:50:45 AM

Dawson's creek with dinosaur guest appearances.

/thread

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #88 on: October 04, 2011, 10:55:16 AM

/thread

That's my opinion of it, and I'm the guy who started the Heroes thread.   

I can usually enjoy 'turn your brain off' or 'it's only entertainment' stuff, so long as they at least handwave an explanation that isn't chock full of holes.   But this series just trips something in my brain that says "wait a tic, fuck no."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: October 04, 2011, 11:09:44 AM

/thread

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #90 on: October 04, 2011, 12:11:05 PM

I can usually enjoy 'turn your brain off' or 'it's only entertainment' stuff, so long as they at least handwave an explanation that isn't chock full of holes.   But this series just trips something in my brain that says "wait a tic, fuck no."

Wasn't this the entire premise of Lost's first couple of seasons?  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #91 on: October 04, 2011, 12:38:08 PM

At least Lost's first two seasons were decently acted for the most part.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: October 04, 2011, 12:45:35 PM

I watched the pilot over the weekend, though I missed the first half. Apparently you can go to jail because it's a crime to have a third kid, but there's no state-enforced abortion? Right. Kind of stupid to base a show on an issue solved by one of the more controversial political and spiritual topics. But never mind...dinosaurs!

I ended up playing guitar through last night's episode, so it's going off the DVR.

Once again, dad went to jail for beating up a cop not for the extra kid.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #93 on: October 04, 2011, 12:59:13 PM

Oh, that's right. I don't give a shit.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: October 04, 2011, 01:13:02 PM

This thread is just chock full of the usual F13 "we hate popular blockbusters" attitude.  It's getting kind of predictable.

Terra Nova is a popular blockbuster?  Head scratch

Over and out.
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: October 04, 2011, 01:13:50 PM

Cop on Cop violence hardly would lead to lengthy jail time... though I will afford the notion he was a local cop and the population control cops were on a higher level.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #96 on: October 04, 2011, 01:19:33 PM

Whats wrong with you people?

We hate stupid loud expensive things that make no goddamn sense, are poorly acted and look like they were animated by out of work Power Rangers effects guys used to sucking dick for a hit of crack?

Seriously, it's not a camp show. If you think Terra Nova is camp, you do not know the definition of the word. True Blood is camp. It's also 100 times better acted and written than this, and I say that as someone who thinks the show has wandered into ridiculous territory since late season 2. Hercules and Xena are camp. This is not camp by any stretch of the imagination. Just because it tries to modernize Land of the Lost does not make it camp.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: October 04, 2011, 01:33:51 PM

Cop on Cop violence hardly would lead to lengthy jail time... though I will afford the notion he was a local cop and the population control cops were on a higher level.

You'd think that, except they explicitly said that's what happened.

I am the .00000001428%
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: October 04, 2011, 01:43:58 PM

You'd think that, except they explicitly said that's what happened.

Yeah, pretty sure I recall hearing that dialogue a couple times in the pilot.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: October 04, 2011, 01:56:20 PM

Terra Nova is a popular blockbuster?  Head scratch

Blockbuster in the sense that a lot of money was spent making it.  We don't approve of that around here. And popular in that its ratings are good. 8.3 million for the second episode which is down only slightly from the premiere.  We don't approve of that either of course.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: October 04, 2011, 02:02:52 PM

I don't approve of awful television.

I would also point out that shows that have a lot of money sunk into them typically have a lack of unified creative vision, pander to the lowest common denominator, are subject to producer meddling, etc. A high budget incurs certain baggage.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 04, 2011, 04:36:30 PM

I will give the show one thing, and that it's seemingly episodic in nature so far.  That is show starts, something happens, they get past said something, show ends with a smile.  A serious lack of decent shows that do this lately.  Most have melo-speedbumps for episodes and a load of questions.  Also, I'm liking the quasi holy trinity thing they've got going on with some of the characters.  But, the characters themselves are total ass due to casting and script.  Twerent for Avatarman and angsty-boy's gf the show would be a total loss.

And if that stupid little girl gets stuck in a hole or under some object one more goddamned time I'm gonna put a hole in my set.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #102 on: October 04, 2011, 04:53:26 PM

Found the problem.

Quote from: Wikipedia
In an unusual decision, Fox skipped ordering just a pilot, and instead immediately ordered thirteen episodes.
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: October 04, 2011, 05:33:57 PM

Hulu teased me with the pilot and now the epis 2 is on Plus. Damn it.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: October 04, 2011, 08:16:39 PM

I turned on ep 2 just to kill time while we were waiting for dinner to finish cooking and it's not even worth that. Yes, you're all running around doing absolutely nothing in some jungle and there's some giant lizard eating people. Yawn.

The writing is absolutely dreadful. It follows the old pattern of people writing SF who have a patronizing view of SF that you just toss in some ray guns and the rubes will love whatever you write so it doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:04:41 PM by Numtini »

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Terra Nova  
Jump to: