Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:22:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Terra Nova 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terra Nova  (Read 28601 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

on: September 15, 2011, 09:32:29 PM

Spielberg-backed sci-fi meets dinosaurs, with some writing from Jose Molina (Firefly, Castle, Dark Angel). Fox. Starts September 26. Looks overdone and underthought. Earth is dying of overpopulation and pollution, so they build a Stargate thing and go back to prehistoric times, but forget there are T-Rexs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6aNEIZwPFc
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 11:58:15 PM

So what happens when the civilization they build in the past changes the future, this preventing them from going back into the past in the first place?   Head scratch

Over and out.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:16:47 AM

Exactly. I suspect the answer is "shut up and give us more moneyhats".
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 12:24:59 AM

Obviously everybody gets eaten by T-Rexes, so their meddling can't change the time stream.

Two hours of dumbasses getting eaten by dinosaurs. Sounds like another Jurrassic Park to me.  awesome, for real
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 07:49:11 AM

Looks fun. More of a Avatar Jurassic park.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 08:32:26 AM

I'm interested in it, despite the logical fallacy the entire plot is based around. I'm sure there'll be some hand-waving to explain it away and how much of that hand-waving makes sense or not will determine whether the series is worth following.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 08:38:42 AM

They are traveling back in time.  Isn't the whole show hand waving?  This should be fun if the writers don't suck like in the Event.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 08:42:44 AM

It just seems like a show that lets Spielberg rub the huge boner he has for dinosaurs.

The real question though, is are there Sleestaks?  awesome, for real

Over and out.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 08:28:32 AM

I'd fucking PAY for Sleestaks.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 09:11:12 PM

How much you want to bet they are either WAY far in the future or not on earth at all?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 11:35:58 PM

How much you want to bet they are either WAY far in the future or not on earth at all?

And will they adequately explain the smoke monster?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 05:32:55 PM

And the winner is:

Quantum Time Split! "Different Time Stream!"

Don't cross the streams.   And don't watch this show.. I've had it on for 10 min and I can only wonder why sending emotionally unstable families with criminal fathers was a good idea.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 05:52:58 PM

I find it incredibly ironic that a TV network funded by a news corporation who supports the deregulation of environmental protections and straight not giving a fuck about human beings would create and broadcast a show about how said human beings eventually fucked up our own planet due to not having environmental and that the only recourse was a freak discovery of going quantum time leaping.

My 2cp.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 06:18:10 PM

I find it incredibly ironic that a TV network funded by a news corporation who supports the deregulation of environmental protections and straight not giving a fuck about human beings would create and broadcast a show about how said human beings eventually fucked up our own planet due to not having environmental and that the only recourse was a freak discovery of going quantum time leaping.

My 2cp.
FOX prime time programming and FOX News do not necessarily share the same values. E.g. David E. Kelly's shows are usually very liberal but many of them have been on FOX.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 06:44:44 PM

I liked the show so far, I'll definitely give it a few weeks more before I decide whether or not to stop watching it. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 06:52:20 PM

Really?  Because I hated it.. right down to the cliche "Oh you're too strong to get eaten, generic dude."

*dino snack 2 seconds later*

And bullet proof dinos are a terrible macguffin.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 07:07:21 PM

Really?  Because I hated it.. right down to the cliche "Oh you're too strong to get eaten, generic dude."

*dino snack 2 seconds later*

And bullet proof dinos are a terrible macguffin.

You bitched about the show after 10 minutes, I just don't think you wanted to like it. 

Was it perfect, no.. Was it watchable and entertaining to me, yes. 
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 07:33:23 PM

You had me at bullet proof dinos. You should be far more creative than just say "welp our dinosaurs are bullet proof Avatar did it and no one without a neckbeard called them on it". I mean seriously is the only way to enjoy the tension in your show is to never look up ever in my whole life "ballistics" or "history" or "physics"? Fuck you writers.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 07:33:38 PM

I wanted something cool, revolving around a bigger picture and some sci-fi.

What I saw was Life Goes On or 7th Heaven with Dinosaurs instead of drugs.  Same formula, same family.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 07:36:27 PM

I caught this by chance tonight and expected Falling Skies levels of quality, but ended up being happy for the most part (even though this is another show that suffers from a few idiot central characters and the token Angsty Son who does nothing but complain).

Bullet proof dinos is pretty silly.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 09:21:45 PM

I caught this by chance tonight and expected Falling Skies levels of quality, but ended up being happy for the most part (even though this is another show that suffers from a few idiot central characters and the token Angsty Son who does nothing but complain).

Bullet proof dinos is pretty silly.

Fallen skies at least entertained the notion of being scifi
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 11:06:24 PM

I'm not sure that Fallen Skies entertained anyone. That show is super bland.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 03:50:23 AM

My 2cp.
FOX prime time programming and FOX News do not necessarily share the same values. E.g. David E. Kelly's shows are usually very liberal but many of them have been on FOX.

I know, and this is evident in the use of Obama's mug on the large-value cash bills Shannon used to payoff the smuggler  awesome, for real

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 05:24:14 AM

I think the only thing that will keep me around for a bit is the mystery of those drawings in the forbidden zone. I'm a sucker for things like that. Other than that, aside from the fx, this felt like some schlocky 80's production. And I like schlocky 80's productions but this was just falling way flat.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 05:41:13 AM

Dull characters. Hard for it to catch on with me just because of that.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 05:58:23 AM

My problems with the show started at the very beginning when this idiot couldn't keep his dick wrapped despite the world choking on over population. I'm all for leaving him in the gulag. It went down hill from there.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 10:51:19 AM

Not enough douches on the cast in supporting roles getting turned into dino chow so far. Unless they put Jamil Walker Smith aka Lt. Greere on the security team the characters will mostly be on the bland side. I don't know how long my interest in seeing where Spielberg could have possibly put all that money while making this will keep my mind on this show.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 12:45:24 PM

I think they rushed the whole "let's get to Terra Nova" thing too much.  Maybe spend a little more time in the pilot episode establishing just how severely fracked the future is, explain a little more about how they just happened to discover a quantum tear, etc.  They could have just as easily started the damned series already in Terra Nova and explained the back story through flashbacks and shit, and added some more depth to the characters that way.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 05:34:44 PM

I wonder how they plan to survive the massive extinction level event that wipes out the motherfucking bullet proof dinosaurs. 

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 06:41:43 PM

I wonder how they plan to survive the massive extinction level event that wipes out the motherfucking bullet proof dinosaurs. 

Different timeline, it never happens! The future is the Dino Riders!

See, now the bulletproof dinosaurs are cool instead of a lame plot device they're a central plot point!  With more sci-fi!

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 07:46:35 PM

Should have spent the money on S3 of Sarah Conners.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 07:48:05 PM

Should have spent the money on S3 of Sarah Conners.

/thread
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 06:41:41 AM

Gee, open some wounds why don't you.

I made it about 40 minutes in to the pilot, only because it was recorded. Schlocky "dramatic" moments shoehorned in, Emo kid apparently either had his writer change after the first three scenes, or he's schizo. I gave up at about the dino feeding scene. None of the characters in those first 40 minutes did anything to capture my interest - that was by far its biggest failure.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 09:49:37 AM

I've made it about 50 minutes in and you're reading my mind, Bunk. Dumbass douchey dad has too many kids... why exactly? No explanation. I'm assuming in a world so overcrowded that they send population control cops out to bust people with an extra crumbsnatcher that birth control is free, or mandated by some kind of surgery after the last quota kid is born. So why would the COP have another kid in a world where a goddamn orange is like discovering Fruit Jesus? Why was the extra kid not killed when discovered, or put into a work camp? Or locked away from the law-breaking parents? Did they just leave the kid with the mom while the dad was in jail? Makes no fucking sense. And what was the government going to do with the extra kid when they sent the mom to Jurassic Park the Paleolithic? The way the guy got into the quantam fracture was a bit retarded as well, but having already painted themselves into a narrative corner with this dumbfuck, I suppose they had to get him there somehow. Also, why were the packs not searched if carrying a weapon through is so vital? Or, I don't know, have a scanner right outside the fracture to keep people from bringing weapons through? MAKES NO SENSE.

Emo douchey kid hating on the dad we all saw him being friendly to in the orange scene doesn't make any sense, nor does his explanation for turning douchey. He was absolutely right about the dad's actions, of course, but doesn't work as an explanation for why the kid goes twat flap on us. Giant fucking leeches to remove excess oxidation in the blood? Can a doctor tell me if that makes any sense, because as a viewer it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm going to try to make it through the whole thing, but I already can see where this episode is going, and it's fucking boring.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 10:18:00 AM

Douchey kid being all douchey against dad doesn't really bother me, we don't know how tough they had it for those two years just because dad felt like being a dick to the cops on top of incredibly selfish by having the extra kid.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Terra Nova  
Jump to: