Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:54:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Terra Nova 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terra Nova  (Read 28611 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 10:21:05 AM

I enjoy how it's the dad's fault and the mom was the hapless rape victim who had no part in the 'selfish decision.'

awesome, for real

My favorite review thus far:
http://www.thecriticalfailure.com/terra-nova-not-that-great/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:26:03 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 11:15:53 AM

Well, she wasn't the one that tried to bitchslap three cops doing their (albeit shitty) job. Also, as a doctor, she could have stolen contraception if it was a problem. In essence, it was two people who should have known better and we don't see any explanation for why they chose to do something so goddamn stupid.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 11:26:17 AM

Then we learn that not everything is as great as it seems in this world. Apparently, in addition to being surrounded by giant dinosaurs and having to fight to make the world livable for humans, there’s a group of jerks who broke off to make their own Terra Nova, only with blackjack, and hookers (I can’t actually back up the blackjack and hookers part, actually).

awesome, for real Any article that can integrate Bender logic into it is A+ in my book.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 12:14:30 PM

Like it isn't going to turn out that every group is from a different "future" earth when they figure it out.

They need a hatch... And smoke monsters are better than dinosaurs.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 12:47:31 PM

Ton of hate for this over on TWoP. A few silly points brought up - like how these teenagers who grew up in an oppresive, dystopian future - all act like afluent, spoiled punks from 2011. Little details, like how the son learned to do things like drive and swim, which again seemed to be unlikely skills for where he grew up.

So they let these teens all live in a house together, but don't make them actually do any work, but must oppress them enough that they feel the need to build a still three miles in to dino land.  swamp poop

Oh, and multiple predictions that the son will be the next teen emo actor to completely destroy a scifi series, the way Tyler destroyed "V".

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 12:49:02 PM

Oh, and multiple predictions that the son will be the next teen emo actor to completely destroy a scifi series, the way Tyler destroyed "V".

There was a lot more wrong with V than an annoying teenager.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 12:58:48 PM

There was a lot more wrong with V than an annoying teenager.

Except the episode where

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 01:51:58 PM

Ton of hate for this over on TWoP. A few silly points brought up - like how these teenagers who grew up in an oppresive, dystopian future - all act like afluent, spoiled punks from 2011. Little details, like how the son learned to do things like drive and swim, which again seemed to be unlikely skills for where he grew up.

So they let these teens all live in a house together, but don't make them actually do any work, but must oppress them enough that they feel the need to build a still three miles in to dino land.  swamp poop

Actually the kids said they got to live in their own house because they all had jobs even though they were like 16.

I am the .00000001428%
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 01:58:12 PM

Yet they all skipped out of said jobs to go drink, and no one noticed for four hours?

No point to this, I just get a certain glee in tearing apart badly written shows.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 01:59:14 PM

I don't know how long my interest in seeing where Spielberg could have possibly put all that money while making this will keep my mind on this show.

Where ever that money went, it sounds like it wasn't to pay for halfway decent writers.

Over and out.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 06:20:58 PM

Anyone besides me still wondering why we've got this latest crop of sci-fi garbage when Firefly and Trek is still sitting there waiting to make a comeback?   I mean, how many lost seasons do we need before just cutting to the chase?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 06:46:41 PM

I enjoy how it's the dad's fault and the mom was the hapless rape victim who had no part in the 'selfish decision.'

awesome, for real

My favorite review thus far:
http://www.thecriticalfailure.com/terra-nova-not-that-great/

I can see the whole conversation right now.
Take off the condom.
Hmm you sure?
TAKE IT OFF.
Baby I'm not sure I can hold it if we continue...
Pleeeaaasssse...

5 seconds later

Dad (best nut ever)
Mom (why did he actually listen to me...)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #47 on: September 28, 2011, 08:51:41 PM

ROFL.

Finished watching this tonight. I want my two fucking hours back. This show started at Stupid and went downhill from there. None of it makes any sense. I really think they hired some high school creative writing class, sat them down in front of 3 random episodes of Lost, topped it off with a chaser of Avatar and said "Write us a TV show." The CGI is fucking awful in many places, especially the vista of the unobtanium quarry. The mystery hooks they've left for the future are practically a hammer blow of non-subtlety. "LOOK HERE IS PLOT POINT MYSTERY DUM DUM DUM!!!!"

I think if this lasts beyond 3 episodes, it'll only be because of the vast amounts of money they've already pissed away on it.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 28, 2011, 11:42:05 PM

It will last 13 episodes I bet, with five timeslot changes. Maybe four episodes will never be shown and somehow they will be the best of the series.

Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 29, 2011, 01:09:21 PM

It will last 13 episodes I bet, with five timeslot changes. Maybe four episodes will never be shown and somehow they will be the best of the series.

I see what you did there

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #50 on: September 29, 2011, 01:10:13 PM

FOX only does that to the good shows Ohhhhh, I see.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 29, 2011, 03:01:53 PM

Yeah, this is easily destined to go on for another five seasons, and probably two made for TV movies.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 30, 2011, 06:46:59 AM

I don't see the issue with this show. Its got dinosaurs eating people. Whats the problem here?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #53 on: October 01, 2011, 02:51:57 PM

I don't see the issue with this show. Its got dinosaurs eating people. Whats the problem here?

You are not that new to these boards. I figured this out the first week I started reading.  awesome, for real

I don't have a problem with the show. Maybe it's because I don't watch TV anymore. I agree with the critiques, but was willing to throw in the "meh, ok... I'll go with it" attitude on most of the parts because the show has to work like this. I did keep getting the Eureka vibe through it though...loosely enough to raise an eyebrow or two. Only thing I took issue with is the show seems to have thrown a ton of cards on the table all at once for future episode fodder and if it doesn't last long enough to address them, well that will bug the shit outta me.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 01, 2011, 06:45:22 PM

Once I saw Brannan Braga's name I knew I was in for 'quality' writing.  Such a dumb show.  But I'm bored and watching it right now, right where they find the girl who gets out of the safe car and goes out into the night alone under dino attack.

I wish it was worse so it could be a campy cheez-fest.  So...much...cliched writing.

To me the emo kid is the only smart one, his parents broke the law and his dad got taken away.  Now he's like 'fuck it if my dad can be disregard the safety and security of his family I can go swim, get drunk and maybe touch a boobie.'
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 01, 2011, 09:01:07 PM

I thought the show was fun and I enjoyed it.  You guys are broken.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #56 on: October 01, 2011, 10:26:29 PM

I see the lobotomy was a success.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #57 on: October 02, 2011, 12:21:29 AM

I started this thread and now there is an advertising truck in my street in suburban Sydney, Australia, with a cage on the back, covered in TV network promo signs saying "Don't feed the dinosaurs - TERRA NOVA" and the local broadcast times of the show. They've found me.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #58 on: October 02, 2011, 03:32:21 AM

Question: they have a one-way "fracture in space and time". How do they even know whether anyone who passes through it survives, let alone that they've successfully set up a colony there?
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 02, 2011, 04:52:11 AM

Question: they have a one-way "fracture in space and time". How do they even know whether anyone who passes through it survives, let alone that they've successfully set up a colony there?

My thought was that the colony would bury a time capsule, but that got fucked in the separate time stream hypothesis. This was one of the only things that bothered me to a point. I can see sending messages and supplies through, but exactly your point: how do you send a message back saying the colony is good outside of normal separatist bullshit and big fuck-off dinosaurs.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 02, 2011, 05:09:50 AM

As I would tell my wife, who asks these sort of questions of "How did they do that?!" EVERY TIME WE WATCH A SCI-FI SHOW, I'll give you the multiple choice response version:

a) It's in the goddamned Hollywood script.  Fucking deal with it. (Uncommonly used...may have to use it in this case since the writers were more concerned about showing teeny-boppers in danger than elaborating on how the show actually works)
b) Stop asking questions and interrupting the show and maybe the show will eventually tell you if you payed attention.  If not in this week's episode than maybe the next.  (Most common response, and unsurprisingly IT FUCKING WORKS)
c) Shut up and get me a sammich and a beer.  (Haven't actually played this card yet...I'm saving it for that one time that I'm both hungry/thirsty and the answer to her question was either already answered in an as obvious way they could possibly answer it, or it was answered in the time she took to interrupt me watching to answer the question.)

Don't get me wrong...I Heart my wife, but sometimes... Argh!

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 02, 2011, 05:45:36 AM

The cynic in me asks 'In a world with chronic overpopulation and other social problems, why would they give a toss if the people they threw in the time bin actually survived ?'

Carousel, bitchfist.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #62 on: October 02, 2011, 06:30:19 AM

My thought was that the colony would bury a time capsule, but that got fucked in the separate time stream hypothesis. This was one of the only things that bothered me to a point. I can see sending messages and supplies through, but exactly your point: how do you send a message back saying the colony is good outside of normal separatist bullshit and big fuck-off dinosaurs.

They can't.  See, this is yet another problem.

They sent a probe back and never ever found it.  They say this right in the show, as the probe is mounted in the middle of the camp as a monument.  What nobody has realized is it's a monument to how their government decided they were all expendable.   They don't mention there were multiple probes.  No talk about how many years they spent researching before deciding "Well, let's try a person"  No.. one probe - which they never found (alternate quantum timeline, remember) and then "fuck it let's chuck people in there in large numbers."

It's a cure for overpopulation, all right.  Suddenly sending this fuck-up family back in time makes a lot more sense.  They weren't trying to be successful they're just getting rid of problems, who gives a fuck what happens to them.

Now, if that were the case I'd be more forgiving, but I already know it's not. It's just lazy and stupid writing.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 02, 2011, 07:05:39 AM

The cynic in me asks 'In a world with chronic overpopulation and other social problems, why would they give a toss if the people they threw in the time bin actually survived ?'

Carousel, bitchfist.

Actually that was the sense I got when they were walking toward the portal. It's similar to that Dr. Who episode where people won the lottery and were sent away on what was said to be a great experience only to be sent to their doom... fuck, forgot the episode title.

edit: The Long Game
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:08:42 AM by 01101010 »

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 02, 2011, 07:32:16 AM

Canceled by Christmas.
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 02, 2011, 07:32:50 AM

They can't.  See, this is yet another problem.

They sent a probe back and never ever found it.  They say this right in the show, as the probe is mounted in the middle of the camp as a monument.  What nobody has realized is it's a monument to how their government decided they were all expendable.   They don't mention there were multiple probes.  No talk about how many years they spent researching before deciding "Well, let's try a person"  No.. one probe - which they never found (alternate quantum timeline, remember) and then "fuck it let's chuck people in there in large numbers."

It's a cure for overpopulation, all right.  Suddenly sending this fuck-up family back in time makes a lot more sense.  They weren't trying to be successful they're just getting rid of problems, who gives a fuck what happens to them.

Now, if that were the case I'd be more forgiving, but I already know it's not. It's just lazy and stupid writing.

I got the feeling from a few things the rebel 6ers leader said that maybe the govt lied about not finding the probe and this isn't an alternate time stream.  At least that's what the 6ers believe.  All the mumbo jumbo about the true purpose of Terra Nova and how the 6ers are fighting for the shape of the future left something like that open if the writers decide to go that way.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 02, 2011, 07:57:59 AM

Win.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: October 03, 2011, 11:09:37 AM

Not win, because it looked like SHIT, as did most of the other action-y dino shots, or any of the CGI landscape shots.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 03, 2011, 11:15:11 AM

Hay, its better than many Si-fi movies put out on cable!

Also, Dinosaurs!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:23:28 AM by Mrbloodworth »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #69 on: October 03, 2011, 11:18:02 AM

For the budget they put into it, it should be a LOT better. I'd put in on par with Mansquito except at least Mansquito isn't taking itself seriously.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Terra Nova  
Jump to: