Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:30:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: The babiest of steps 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The babiest of steps  (Read 12238 times)
RUiN 427
Terracotta Army

on: August 11, 2011, 04:05:32 PM

Thanks to Morfiend and lack of respect for my own well being, I have chosen to wade into these waters to see if there is a game in there for me.

My current gaming habits allow for limited time twice a week to pop into my games of choice and enjoy but the briefest moments of escape.
I've heard Eve has some gameplay that can be engaging while online and offline, is this true? I'm interested even if it only means hoping on to maintain mining sites or production or god knows what. I like numbers and stats.

see you there?

Edit: It's a free trial account so I'll be trying to maximize my fun within the time
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:19:22 PM by RUiN 427 »

"There's been no energy reading of any sort on Cybertron for the past seven hundred or so stellar-cycles."
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:21:32 PM

Planetary Production. You can do it from the other side of the galaxy, and can set it up to pick up the goo once a week. Or stay in system and pick it up once a day.

I've never done it, but people make money from it. If you want to make a lot of money, scam people is the easiest way though.

Or join Bat Country and scan systems for rare dungeon's. Then sell the location to a high skilled player for 50% of the profit and he does all the actual work.

YMMV.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
RUiN 427
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 04:42:06 PM

Planetary Production. You can do it from the other side of the galaxy, and can set it up to pick up the goo once a week. Or stay in system and pick it up once a day.

I've never done it, but people make money from it. If you want to make a lot of money, scam people is the easiest way though.

Or join Bat Country and scan systems for rare dungeon's. Then sell the location to a high skilled player for 50% of the profit and he does all the actual work.

YMMV.

all of that sounds awesome

"There's been no energy reading of any sort on Cybertron for the past seven hundred or so stellar-cycles."
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:51:10 PM

Later on you can run mining towers for moogoo, but that takes a lot of investment. Helps if there's been a recent war to free up the slots. Late on you can do Tech II production, though everyone does that in Empire. Tech 1 production is open to anyone, though hard to make money these days. But there is always small places in the market for someone.

Then there's trading, which you can do with little effort, though its hard to know how to make money, and easy to lose it. It is the logical thing if you like that sort of thing of spreadsheets and calculating 0.1 changes in profit/loss.

Nearly all of this IS PVP, you're competing against other humans doing the same thing.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:02:41 PM

Way more info than you need right now.

Grab a good beer and pull up your ipad and skim that PDF, isktheguide.com. It really is amazing and should be required reading for anyone starting the game.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:54:52 AM by Morfiend »
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 05:14:20 AM

Obvious spy is obvious.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 05:24:10 AM

Obvious spy is obvious.

I wager they will keep him at arms length and then they eventually accept him. Then he will go native like evey other spy that joins.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 11:17:42 AM

Welcome to Eve Online, a game about spaceships.

There's also always a chance that you'll log on and there will be a fleet (as in, let's PvP and die horribly) either forming or already doing something not far away. You can usually just jump in and then bugger off when you need to. It's not like leaving a group when they are half way through a dungeon in other games.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 11:22:45 AM

Welcome to Eve Online, a game about spaceships.

There's also always a chance that you'll log on and there will be a fleet (as in, let's PvP and die horribly) either forming or already doing something not far away. You can usually just jump in and then bugger off when you need to. It's not like leaving a group when they are half way through a dungeon in other games.

There are spaceships in this game now? Holy fuck where have I been?! I thought it was a math/reading/logic game?!  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 12:42:19 PM

I thought you just walked around stations!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 01:11:39 PM

I just signed in for the first time in months using my 5 free days.  Why am I, a multi-billionaire industrialist, wearing this appalling shirt?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 01:12:26 PM

I just signed in for the first time in months using my 5 free days.  Why am I, a multi-billionaire industrialist, wearing this appalling shirt?

I hear you can fix that with Aurum.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 01:14:52 PM

Not a chance. I'd pay big bucks to customize my freighter but I'll be damned if I'll spend isk on a shirt nobody but me can even see.
RUiN 427
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:52:10 AM

As of now I feel that I would have to invest a lot of time playing to get to a point where I didn't have to spend a lot of time playing. If that makes sense?

I love the genre, I love the treatment, I love the gameplay. I can see where the fun is, I just don't think I can make it happen with my current gaming habits. 4 hours a week aint enough. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could get into it. I just can;t afford the amount of time it would take for me to play it the way I want to.

Maybe if it went free to play I would see it through?

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 11:58:10 AM

I picked up some planetary production based skillbooks yesterday -- I happened to be in a hub area -- is that a 0.0 only thing?
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 12:19:46 PM

Planetary interaction can be done anywhere, but highsec planets have zilch and crap on them usually.  So effectively PI is done in nullsec/wormholes where the planets are rich.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 12:48:24 PM

Planetary interaction can be done anywhere, but highsec planets have zilch and crap on them usually.  So effectively PI is done in nullsec/wormholes where the planets are rich.
So if I wanted to toy with it I could in high-sec, just to get a feel for it?
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 02:44:09 PM

Yes, you can mess around with it in high sec. Do a search for "command center" in the market - this should find all the different command centers for you. Take the relevant command center to the relevant planet type (eg ice, gas etc) and off you go.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 08:26:10 PM

Certainly.  I do PI in high sec with Ky.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 08:34:52 PM

Certainly.  I do PI in high sec with Ky.
I found a few crap planets (two) and setup two refining hub thingies. (I still have like a million skill points banked. After getting the last of what I needed for stealth bombers, black ops, jump gates, and heavy interdictors. And like 4/5 on the basic planet stuff. It's crazy!).

Anyways, here's my question -- I picked planets where I could put together an advanced product -- chaining four basic things into two basic products then them into a final product. (I think like personal microcontrollers and oxides? I don't remember.).

What I'm confused with is the "program times" on the extractors. I saw -- and set -- two heads to mine two different things. I set up the links, but just drug the program time to max. (I figure that's probably wrong, but I can always go reset it -- like 14 day cycles). Once started, it mines ONE of the two things (I guess it'll switch to the other head in 14 days?)...so I can only seem to route ONE resource to a processing plant.

Is there anyway to setup a route for the next resource in the cycle? Would I be better off running a seperate extractor for each resource, rather than using two extractors (each with two mining thingies?). What's the best cycle time on those? Or should I just run one extractor with four heads (one for each resource) on a shorter cycle time, routing them to a storage bin? And then from there through the factories?

I'm confused as to what's 'optimal' or even 'not stupid' on that. :) Finding a planet, putting down a base, linking things up, setting up schematics, all that was pretty easy. They're shit planets, for the most part, but I'm after experience here not massive money.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 02:37:47 AM

You need one extractor control unit per resource you want to simultaneously mine. And since the control unit has a large upfront cost there's an advantage to having as few as possible. Especially for low-sec installations where just two extraction points will generate very little in terms of resources.

The time slider is meant to balance extraction rate against resource depletion. In practice depletion seems fairly relentless but I still use three days in the hope it will recover somewhat. That and clicking more recently would drive me mad.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 07:21:02 AM

I do 3 days, 13 hours.  Gives me time to ignore it so I don't have to be constantly checking, but a better extraction rate than a longer period.

The best set-up I have found is to make a Launch Platform the center of my complex.  Everything connects to it.
 - Control Center of course
 - Two extractors; one for each needed resource
 - Two basic factories; one to convert each resource
 - One advanced factory; takes the converted resources and makes a finished product

The extractors dump into the platform for storage.  The factories pull from the storage as materials are available and dump the finished products back in.  In high sec you're not going to overburden the supply lines, but in low or nullsec it might be necessary to build more complicated structures.  So far though, the hub idea has been the most efficient I could come up with because you get weird supply routes over time if you have an extractor dump directly to a factory.

The products are used to fuel POSes, maybe other stuff, so it's best to check prices if you're not going to use the materials.  It may be more worthwhile to sell raw materials than refine it.  (We use ours, so I haven't priced anything.)

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 08:41:26 AM

Dangit, I'm going to have to go on today and totally redo things. Oh well. That's why I did it now, in high-sec, when I'm sitting on tons of cash. (Well, by 'casual player' standards. Not the billions upon billions most people seem to have, but 800 mill does me fine, and I've got that passive income from three L4 research guys).

I checked prices -- it seemed about half a dozen of one, six of the other on finished goods versus materials. I figured I'd do the more complex stuff just to get a feel for it.

Took me 20 minutes to realize I could upgrade my command center though!
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 09:17:11 AM

For goons, there is a bug guide on the wiki and more info in the PVE/W/P forum.  Also newbies get a PI kit when they start.  That said, the timings and approaches ar a bit different because you're dealing with massively more productive planets in deep 0.0.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 09:21:03 AM

For goons, there is a bug guide on the wiki and more info in the PVE/W/P forum.  Also newbies get a PI kit when they start.  That said, the timings and approaches ar a bit different because you're dealing with massively more productive planets in deep 0.0.
Yes, but I have to join goonswarm first. :) Which requires...something. In any case, I'm actually happier making my mistakes in high-sec as I remember how to load guns and stuff. I lost a handful of drones due to stupidity yesterday, and almost got podded on an L4 because I forgot to turn on my hardeners.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 10:00:25 AM

I lost a handful of drones due to stupidity yesterday, and almost got podded on an L4 because I forgot to turn on my hardeners.

NPCs pod you now?

Over and out.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 10:02:59 AM

I lost a handful of drones due to stupidity yesterday, and almost got podded on an L4 because I forgot to turn on my hardeners.

NPCs pod you now?
I have no idea. I warped out when I was down to the hull. Got out with about 15% or so left.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 10:39:46 AM

NPCs don't pod you.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 11:37:51 AM

NPCs don't pod you.
They will, however, blow up my expensive battleship filled with expensive toys? I mean it's just a Dominux (Dominus?) but still -- I've got good stuff in there, rigs and all. Though those have probably come down a lot in price. :)

I DID hear about the awesome salvage boat, which I bought last night -- but didn't pick up yet. Had all the skills for it already. can't wait to try it out. The tractor and salvager bonuses look awesome.

Didn't think to check out the cargo bay.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 11:41:03 AM

Oh yeah, they'll make a lawn ornament out of your Dominix if you give them the chance.  They just won't shoot your pod.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 12:10:52 PM

How to join -BAT-
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 12:14:23 PM

Where's my newbie kit then!?

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 12:36:05 PM

You have to request the kit in chat to get it.  Last I knew, the chat channel they were using was the same as the free frigate channel, just go into it and ask for the PI newbie kit.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 01:01:44 PM

Oh yeah, they'll make a lawn ornament out of your Dominix if you give them the chance.  They just won't shoot your pod.
Everyone makes a lawn ornament out of that damn thing. Stupid drones.

Out of curiousity, who else does armor-tanking besides Gallente? Anyone with missiles? I might cross-train for something more...missile-y.

Probably be a week or two before I rejoin Bat Country. Want to have a few days free to move around and get situated, instead of my current "an hour here, an hour there" sort of schedule. Looking forward to it, though.

I might just play in tackling frigs for awhile. Overskilled for it, but they're so disposable.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 01:19:48 PM

Oh yeah, they'll make a lawn ornament out of your Dominix if you give them the chance.  They just won't shoot your pod.
Everyone makes a lawn ornament out of that damn thing. Stupid drones.

Out of curiousity, who else does armor-tanking besides Gallente? Anyone with missiles? I might cross-train for something more...missile-y.

Probably be a week or two before I rejoin Bat Country. Want to have a few days free to move around and get situated, instead of my current "an hour here, an hour there" sort of schedule. Looking forward to it, though.

I might just play in tackling frigs for awhile. Overskilled for it, but they're so disposable.

Amarr does big time armor tank, but they hardly use missiles. Caldari are the missile-y ships, but they are mostly shield tank I believe.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: The babiest of steps  
Jump to: