Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Bastion - Supergiant Games / WB - Xbox 360 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bastion - Supergiant Games / WB - Xbox 360  (Read 10862 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: August 07, 2011, 01:32:11 AM

Bastion (if you want a background, you can see GameSpot's coverage since that was the first link in Google) is an Xbox Arcade title that is a throwback to the isometric action-adventure games of years ago. You play as The Kid, one of the few survivors of a great disaster, who spends his time looking for survivors and hunting for cores that can be used to upgrade the Bastion - a safe haven and your base of operations. The world you inhabit has collapsed, but rebuilds in certain sections as you move (a really neat effect for a game like this). Falling off the edge of the world loses you a bit of health, but that's it.

Along with The Kid is The Stranger, who narrates a lot of what happens in game. Although some of the narration is borderline iffy, overall it is an interesting way for the player to be informed what is going on and to fill in backstory. It is something that has grown on me.

Gameplay is fairly straightforward. You run around a level, fighting enemies, looking for upgrades / items / cores, with there being a little bit of room for exploring (which isn't always clear, since you have to get close enough for the hidden areas to start building themselves around you). There are also Proving Grounds, which give you bonuses for beating the challenges. Combat is simple, but with some customisable twists. You've got two weapons, a 'secret skill'-attack, a shield and a dodge. There is quite a bit of flexibility about how you outfit yourself and what bonuses you stack on each area. You can button mash, or you can perfect your timing for extra damage / bonuses.

There are only 5 or so types of enemies (one downside at this point in the game, anyway) although each 'type' has a few different AI sub-patterns. For instance, one scumbag might stay in a small area, spitting goo at you, while another scumbag will try to charge you down, leaving a trail of goo in its wake. Just because an enemy looks the same, doesn't mean they will attack the same way.

Is it fun? Yes. Levels are generally short and varied - you might go from a level full of fighting to a level where you are outrunning collapsing platforms to a more 'story'-driven level - and I've definitely gotten the "oh, one more level and THEN I'll stop" vibe going. Is it worth 1200 points? I don't know yet, but to date I'll have to say yes. The fact that there is a Story+ mode when you finish it the first time is a positive sign at least.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:05:31 AM

Interesting, it sort of have a Vanillaware look to it, doesn't it?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 12:19:48 PM

I really enjoy the narration.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:56:02 PM

I've only just discovered that after buying an upgrade for a weapon, you can flip between the two options on that level. Nice feature.

Another great aspect is that all weapons feel and play quite differently.

Having progressed a bit further, there are more enemy types to fight.

From what I've read you can race through and finish this title in about 3 hours, but I've probably spent twice that due to exploring and trying to get first place at the various Proving Grounds and there is still a bit to go.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 06:58:24 PM

I really need to add: the music in Bastion is great. The original song slots so nicely into its level and I didn't want to interrupt it by finishing that section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8cELTdtw6U&feature=autoplay&list=PLE92A345D7C2A1B2D&index=2&playnext=15

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:04:34 PM

narration... music...

the artwork looks superb.  And gameplay is great/Ok?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:42:03 PM

It is at least OK.  I like it, myself.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 04:33:01 AM

Gameplay is pretty good, just generally not too challenging. It's more fun to switch up your weapons each mission than find the 'best' and stick to them (not that the game will let you, since every time you find a new weapon it replaces one you carry).

The 20 wave "Who Knows Where" missions are probably the most challenging, particularly if you turn on a god or two to up the difficulty.

I've finished it once, now going back to get the 'other' ending.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 07:00:11 PM

I think it comes out on Steam in a day or two - would this title be okay with kyb/mouse?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 07:17:14 PM

Watch the first 15 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZAuKkv4eZE
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 02:49:45 AM

I think it comes out on Steam in a day or two - would this title be okay with kyb/mouse?

I'd definitely wait for the reviews on that. Bastion works very well on a console, using 7 buttons (2 attacks, heal, dodge, block, special skill, reload weapon) as well as movement. Not sure how that would translate to KB+M.

ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 08:27:35 PM

Watch the first 15 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZAuKkv4eZE

I'm surprised at how much I liked the narration-as-real-time-story in that clip! 

A demo will be out around Steam launch tomorrow so everyone can test kb/m or controller.  Here are two screenshots, one from PC and one from Xbox.  You can guess which is which.

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 03:41:47 PM

Game of the year for me.  I almost skinned my own face trying to get first prize with the repeater challenge before I realized you can auto aim  Ohhhhh, I see.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 12:01:57 AM

That challenge becomes very easy when you can upgrade the repeater so that it has homing bullets.

The solution to pretty much any of those challenges is 'upgrade your weapons' and in some cases 'equip Werewhisky and fall off the platform until it activates, then do extra damage".

Only ones I couldn't do were the Machete and Shield.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 12:32:35 AM

Is there an actual explanation/plot/background as to what the world is? I saw a bit of this on the yogcast and it looked very good and the narration was nice, but I am really curious as to what the 'world' actually is.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 06:34:29 AM

That's the story. What the world was, what happened and what is happening now. It's very well done.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 02:35:00 PM

Cool, I'll pick this up then.

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 05:34:29 PM

That challenge becomes very easy when you can upgrade the repeater so that it has homing bullets.

The solution to pretty much any of those challenges is 'upgrade your weapons' and in some cases 'equip Werewhisky and fall off the platform until it activates, then do extra damage".

Only ones I couldn't do were the Machete and Shield.

For the machete challenge : you have to run in the small arena in the middle of the level.  Most enemies will spawn there so you can kill them as soon as they spawn.
For the shield : you have to practice your timing but it helps to keep the shield up and get the towers to shoot them self by doing a line with 2 of them and yourself.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 12:09:58 AM

Yea grabbed this, lost myself in it for like 3+ hours straight.

I love the combat, it's simple but clever and engaging. Also love how the 'loot' is done, with variety and options instead of just random +gooder.

Game itself is just gorgeous all around.

Had to force myself to take a beak and grab some food.  why so serious?

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 09:12:49 PM

Pfft. You're supposed to just devour games in one sitting, noob.

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 11:52:38 PM

A+, well worthwhile.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 12:47:19 AM

Pfft. You're supposed to just devour games in one sitting, noob.

It's good to savor the flavor!

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 12:23:53 PM

They have a really good demo on Steam for this.  If you are on the fence, get that.  I'm sold, but need to wait for some playtime.  Too many games on my plate now.  Price can only go down, right??

My favorite narration bit so far was when I fell off the edge of "the world."  In the same sing-song smooth cool voice says, "...and The Kid dies."  Followed a few seconds later with "...just kidding."
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 08:43:48 AM

'..and the kid takes some time to bust up a few boxes'

This game is fantastic. The art, music, and narration make it a worthy purchase alone.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Bastion - Supergiant Games / WB - Xbox 360  
Jump to: