Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329627 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1190 on: November 01, 2015, 10:57:21 AM

I don't get the anger. All I've ever seen people bitch about is how ESPN focuses on drama & pop culture rather than the actual sports. Since that was Grantland's focus it seems like a move back towards ESPN's original mission rather than continuing to run down the path people bitch about.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1191 on: November 01, 2015, 02:08:51 PM

Eh what?  No , I enjoyed the writing on Grantland whether it be about sports or pop culture. Sean Mcindoe (sp?) hockey column, Katie Baker, Bill Barnwell's NFL stuff etc. One page where I could go to daily and usually find something long form to read that was typically of good quality , certainly higher than the large amount of shit on ESPN's main page. I really don't give a crap if it was affiliated with ESPN or not, I just liked the variety, quality and length of the writing. Maybe Simmons will reincarnate it through his new deal with HBO.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1192 on: November 01, 2015, 02:49:05 PM

I don't get the anger. All I've ever seen people bitch about is how ESPN focuses on drama & pop culture rather than the actual sports. Since that was Grantland's focus it seems like a move back towards ESPN's original mission rather than continuing to run down the path people bitch about.

That's pretty much it. The site was given tons of leeway because Simmons was Simmons. When he left, ESPN reeled in the very long leash along with other cuts.

And people that are talented will find outlets for their writing in other forums. This is the internet where eyeballs are king. If you can produce those views, you will get work.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1193 on: November 29, 2015, 05:29:03 PM

Well, I don't watch much NBA, but Kobe Bryant announced today that he will be retiring after this season.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1194 on: November 30, 2015, 05:58:18 AM

Well, I don't watch much NBA, but Kobe Bryant announced today that he will be retiring after this season.

Which is good because he's terrible now. And he at least will get some of the Rocking Chair Retirement Tour love he desperately wants.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1195 on: December 02, 2015, 07:18:04 AM

The guy has been playing for something like 47 seasons it seems.

And for the record, I don't think there is a debate on the subject....MJ > Kobe.  Anyone disagree?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1196 on: December 02, 2015, 07:48:40 AM

Nah nobody thinks of Kobe as best ever. It's all MJ and Lebron.

And now Steph Curry if he can sustain success for another decade.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1197 on: March 09, 2016, 11:47:27 AM

March Madness starts soon and I'm having a really hard time giving a fuck. I mean college basketball is already watered down enough by the one-and-done rule, but even the ones that are left kind of suck this year.

I mean here's your top 4 teams by RPI:

Kansas, Virginia, Villanova, and Oregon.

OK Kansas and Nova, they are always around but still are usually BIG yawns in the tourney when it comes to winning it all.

Virginia? They have 6 losses already. Not exactly what I think of when I think #1 tourney seeds. Oregon's up there too, but the rankings have Michigan State higher.

Notice there's no Duke, UCONN, Louisville, Kentucky, or anybody that's won in the last 5 years. Nope, those teams are mediocre this year in the top 25 but not elite. Meh.

This may be the year we see a 16 over 1 upset. The field is horrifically weak.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1198 on: March 17, 2016, 07:33:15 PM

This first half is making me sad.  I don't know how Sean Miller didn't manage to install any sort of offense all season.

Yah, this tournament field is weak, but I think you'll see an eventual winner from among the 1 seeds or possibly Michigan State.  There absolutely no star power.  Ben Simmons, the projected #1, didn't even make it.  The Ingram kid from Duke, who will likely go #2, doesn't really even carry his team.

It's still the best 2 days in sports.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 07:35:30 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1199 on: March 18, 2016, 10:11:10 AM

The Arizona loss was completely overshadowed by Purdue shitting the bed in ways nobody has considered. Good lord. 2 OTs and they still couldn't put away Arkansas Podunk. And blew a 13 point lead.

Plus tomorrow gives us Yale vs. Duke. Class of the White-ans.

Rasix

Reply #1200 on: March 18, 2016, 10:29:23 AM

Everyone was picking UofA to lose anyhow.  I'm surprised we weren't an underdog on the Vegas lines going in.  Both 5th and 6th seeds went down in games where only Purdue looked like they shit the bed. 

Traffic was non-existent this morning.  The town is sad.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1201 on: March 18, 2016, 01:59:33 PM

Michigan state just wrecked everyone's bets

Rasix

Reply #1202 on: March 18, 2016, 02:14:09 PM

This first half is making me sad.  I don't know how Sean Miller didn't manage to install any sort of offense all season.

Yah, this tournament field is weak, but I think you'll see an eventual winner from among the 1 seeds or possibly Michigan State.  There absolutely no star power.  Ben Simmons, the projected #1, didn't even make it.  The Ingram kid from Duke, who will likely go #2, doesn't really even carry his team.

It's still the best 2 days in sports.

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #1203 on: April 14, 2016, 11:36:41 AM

Finally the great Kobe dick-sucking tour of 2016 is over.

He scored 60 points on sub 50% shooting (shot 50 times including 21 threes  (6 made)).  What a perfect microcosm of his late career. 

Has any other player gotten this sort of ridiculous, season-long send off to their career?

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #1204 on: April 14, 2016, 12:34:00 PM

I am just glad he is gone. Fuck him.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1205 on: April 14, 2016, 12:36:53 PM

Finally the great Kobe dick-sucking tour of 2016 is over.

He scored 60 points on sub 50% shooting (shot 50 times including 21 threes  (6 made)).  What a perfect microcosm of his late career. 

Has any other player gotten this sort of ridiculous, season-long send off to their career?

It's only because the Lakers are such utter crap this year and they realized the Kobe tour was the only way they had to make people care about the team. If the Lakers were good the story would be out there, but the focus would have actually been on the team anyway. This was intentionally done to distract people from the team.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1206 on: April 15, 2016, 10:30:14 AM

Uh yeah. Jeter. It was like he was dying every game.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1207 on: April 15, 2016, 11:19:08 AM

If that was going to be the case, I would have gone to see it. I don't loathe Jeter quite as much as Kobe (he didn't get away with rape, at least to my knowledge), but he is still a herpes-riddled shitbag.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1208 on: June 19, 2016, 08:04:35 PM

Congratulations to Cleveland for getting off the Championship snide. See, there's hope for the Browns yet!

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1209 on: June 19, 2016, 08:49:01 PM

Too bad Lebron's gonna have so much smoke blown up his ass, what little humility he gained lately is gonna disappear like his hairline is.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1210 on: June 19, 2016, 09:32:33 PM

Too bad Lebron's gonna have so much smoke blown up his ass, what little humility he gained lately is gonna disappear like his hairline is.

Stephen A. Smith is gonna open up extra wide to make sure he can fit his mouth around Lebron's dick...well, even more than he already does.
Rasix

Reply #1211 on: June 19, 2016, 10:11:30 PM

To be fair, his butt mostly deserves that smoke. That was Jordanesque.

Tomorrow is going to be a total ESPN flavored gnob gobbling. I almost want to watch Kornheiser and Willbon (sp) trip over themselves tomorrow trying to see who can be more effusive.

Just a horrible series from Steph.  Got to wonder if he's still hurting, but his three ball looked awful in the last 2.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:14:35 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1212 on: June 20, 2016, 07:18:05 AM

This is the only NBA game I've watched in years. Lebron wasn't so masterful last night, but his team actually stepped up and played well around him. I mean, he was still good, don't get me wrong but I don't think he was "Jordanesque" at least not in this game. Their defense though did just enough to win and Kevin Love was getting shittons of boards. I was afraid for a bit there that Lebron would take Draymond Green out at the balls after he kept hitting so many threes but he cooled off so walked off with his dick intact.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1213 on: June 20, 2016, 08:31:48 AM

If even a quarter of those three point shots that Gilden State made in the first half had missed, it probably would not have been nearly as close.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1214 on: June 20, 2016, 09:23:25 AM

Still not sure what happens now. As a native Clevelander, what do I do now? I have no idea ...  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1215 on: June 20, 2016, 09:24:42 AM

Still not sure what happens now. As a native Clevelander, what do I do now? I have no idea ...  why so serious?

Set the river on fire?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1216 on: June 20, 2016, 09:29:25 AM

I thought that happened naturally.  why so serious?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1217 on: June 20, 2016, 09:29:59 AM

Well not any more... god damn government regulation and EPA bullshit.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1218 on: June 20, 2016, 09:32:14 AM

You gotta think Cleveland winning a title after decades of heartbreak is God balancing the scales for making them host Donald Trump's nomination next month.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1219 on: June 20, 2016, 09:33:40 AM

That's when the river is SCHEDULED to be on fire next.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1220 on: June 20, 2016, 09:39:56 AM

The Lebron hate will never die, but he pretty much put the final nail in the coffin of them having any real point to it. He'll still never be as good as Jordan in my mind, but he did something that Jordan never did, mostly due to necessity.

I don't like Lebron, but I respect his game. He's a phenom on the court who I only wish wouldn't flop and whine as much as he does. But none of that matters when you have 3 rings, break a curse, fulfill a prophesy of sorts, and do in with the biggest comeback in NBA history.

That all being said, nobody will remember GS's victory from last year. They will FOREVER be the team that choked away a 73 win season, and a 3-1 lead in the finals. Forever and ever. Amen.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1221 on: June 20, 2016, 09:53:53 AM

It's not like the Warriors are going away. That's still a crazy talented team.

Rasix

Reply #1222 on: June 20, 2016, 10:10:20 AM

I think all that they're losing is Barnes, if they decided not to pay him.  He had a putrid finals.

If Durant stays in OKC, I think they hit the finals instead of GS. They really seemed to figure out during the last quarter of the season and into the playoffs.  

This is the only NBA game I've watched in years. Lebron wasn't so masterful last night, but his team actually stepped up and played well around him. I mean, he was still good, don't get me wrong but I don't think he was "Jordanesque" at least not in this game. Their defense though did just enough to win and Kevin Love was getting shittons of boards. I was afraid for a bit there that Lebron would take Draymond Green out at the balls after he kept hitting so many threes but he cooled off so walked off with his dick intact.

He had a triple double.  Not quite the back to back 41 point nights he had previously, but he really did it all. Also had 3 blocks and 2 steals, while limiting himself to 2 turnovers after the initial quarter.  The team is wretched offensively right now outside of him and Irving.  Love needs to figure his shit out.  Sure he might not score 20 a night, but if he can go for 12-16, while grabbing 10 boards, he'll work.  But they're likely going to try and trade Love for someone that doesn't look so fundamentally retarded on defense.  They never should have gotten rid of Wiggins.

edit: Love stuff being said, he did have a good night.  Lots of hustle.  Good individual defensive effort, especially keeping Curry in front of him.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:28:05 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1223 on: June 20, 2016, 11:24:15 AM

That last block of Lebron's where he sandwiched the ball between his hand and the glass was pretty jaw dropping.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1224 on: June 20, 2016, 11:55:35 AM

Yeah, it was even more amazing when you see where he was as that shot started to develop. He basically made up half the goddamn court in the distance and still flat rejected the man. Also, Kevin Love's defense on that late shot that Steph Curry missed was stellar. You expect a big guy like that to get juked by Curry but Love gave him nothing but giant white dude to aim at.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: