Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329574 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: November 10, 2011, 12:15:42 AM

Because a lot of human beings absolutely suck?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #141 on: November 10, 2011, 12:23:19 AM

I suspect other shoes are going to drop.  There is so much weirdness surrounding this whole sordid affair.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #142 on: November 10, 2011, 04:16:45 AM

I suspect other shoes are going to drop.  There is so much weirdness surrounding this whole sordid affair.

There certainly is an air of impending doom about the situation.  I suspect that there has to be something else lurking underneath all this for them to outright fire Paterno. 
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: November 10, 2011, 05:21:46 AM

A large portion (if not all) of the trustees are going to be ousted as well I bet.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: November 10, 2011, 05:25:59 AM

Back to basketball!

Forbes doesn't believe the owners too

When you tally the aggregate projected operating incomes of all 30 NBA teams, this yields a surplus of $182.6 million.

Granted, Forbes may not be privy to all the financial data that ultimately determine a team’s financial position…and their estimates have come under scrutiny before for this reason.

But $482.6 million off?  That seems a stretch.

Even if Forbes’ operating income estimates are inflated by 25% (which I seriously doubt), you’re still looking at $137 million in aggregate profits.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #145 on: November 10, 2011, 05:28:56 AM

I'm so disinterested in the rich versus the rich.  They can all rot, for all I care.  The only pro sport that has any merit at all to me any more is the NFL. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #146 on: November 10, 2011, 08:04:42 AM

This place is facing MASSIVE civil liability right now.  The Trustees are shitting their collective britches and heads are going to roll for anyone who even tangentially touched this thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire athletic department and coaching staff is purged.  How this all happened in basically the middle of the entire Catholic Church scandal is beyond me.

Yeah, there's the part that blows my mind. This was all going on when the whole Catholic priests raping boys scandal was constant front page news. As school admins, you HAD to know this would blow the fuck up on them. My only thought is that at the time, they didn't want to be equated with kiddy-diddling rapriests. But see, that would have been the PERFECT time to jump out in front of it, admit this guy was diddling kids on campus and show how proactive you are the community and the world at large. The PR heat on Penn State would have lasted maybe a fucking week and then forgotten as a blip in the larger scheme of things. Did they really think this was not going to eventually come out? Did they think this was like some isolated incident? It would have been one thing to cover up an affair with a male or female college student. At least then you could fall back on the consenting adult thing. But kids? Ass-raping kids?

There's just not one excuse good enough to explain why anyone involved didn't report this to at the very least the University police. You just cannot justify it at all. It's kids, for fuck's sake. There's no wiggle room there.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #147 on: November 10, 2011, 08:39:03 AM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7215664/penn-state-nittany-lions-mike-mcqueary-coach-weekend

So just to be clear: the EYE WITNESS to this whole thing was not only not fired, but will be on the sidelines this weekend whereas the man who he reported to, JoePa, and everyone else up the ladder is gone.
 swamp poop

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #148 on: November 10, 2011, 08:40:39 AM

Won't last. Expect him to be fired by the end of the day.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: November 10, 2011, 09:38:14 AM

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sandusky-rumored-to-have-been-pimping-out-young-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
WayAbvPar

Reply #150 on: November 10, 2011, 09:42:22 AM

I will be shocked if he lives through the holidays. Either he will sack up and kill himself or someone will take him out.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #151 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:10 AM

Death penalty is too good for this fuckstick.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: November 10, 2011, 09:55:27 AM

Mike McQueary wasn't just any old grad assistant...he was a former record-setting quarterback at Penn State. He'd worked with JoePa on a regular basis for years on and off the field. This was not some kid who was scared to come in and talk to Joe.  He cannot possibly on the field their next game, that would be a god damn circus.

I am the .00000001428%
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #153 on: November 10, 2011, 10:06:13 AM

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sandusky-rumored-to-have-been-pimping-out-young-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html

That sounds far fetched. Were it true, the Penn State football program ends.

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: November 10, 2011, 10:11:53 AM

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: November 10, 2011, 10:14:51 AM

That sounds far fetched. Were it true, the Penn State football program ends.

Not the first time this rumor has been brought up online.
https://twitter.com/#!/dan_bernstein/status/134103234724896768
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #156 on: November 10, 2011, 10:43:13 AM

Not sure anyone linked this yet or not, but in case you want your stomach to churn for a few days:

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/sandusky-grand-jury-presentment.pdf
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #157 on: November 10, 2011, 11:23:15 AM

Yeah, I read the Grand Jury presentment. Before I had read it, I wasn't sure how bad the whole thing was. After... it's fucking bad. It's goddamn monstrous. There's a pattern of predatory behavior on this guy dated back close to 20 years, and that's just from the 8 kids they've put to the grand jury. There's no telling how many others there are that haven't come forward. And if the rumor about rich donors thing is true... Paelos may be right, that shit is OVER. Who is going to donate money to the program now if all it'll get you is a reputation as a kiddy diddler?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #158 on: November 10, 2011, 11:30:47 AM

Yeah, I read the Grand Jury presentment. Before I had read it, I wasn't sure how bad the whole thing was. After... it's fucking bad. It's goddamn monstrous. There's a pattern of predatory behavior on this guy dated back close to 20 years, and that's just from the 8 kids they've put to the grand jury. There's no telling how many others there are that haven't come forward. And if the rumor about rich donors thing is true... Paelos may be right, that shit is OVER. Who is going to donate money to the program now if all it'll get you is a reputation as a kiddy diddler?

It's not only that, it's the civil suits, the criminal suits, the conspiracy charges, it would just be too much to bear. The NCAA wouldn't have any say in it. The Penn Legislature would feel too much political pressure to shut it down.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #159 on: November 10, 2011, 12:18:12 PM

To be clear the donors in question in the rumor, at least as far as I've heard, were not Penn State donors but rather donors to Second Mile.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: November 10, 2011, 01:14:53 PM

How deep does it go?

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_child_sex-abuse_sca.html

"During our own investigation, years later, the mother told us that she had been specifically instructed by state police not to speak with reporters. No charges were filed against Sandusky in 1998. With the mother cowed into silence, the incident remained buried. "
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #161 on: November 10, 2011, 01:23:50 PM

That's pretty fucking huge if it turns out the coverup goes well outside of just PSU and maybe the charity.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #162 on: November 10, 2011, 01:41:02 PM

If you don't understand just how deep into the community this went, you haven't been paying attention to the Cult Of JoPa bent to all the discussions or you think that's normal shit.

As one guy I know put it.  "Football is big at Penn, but JoPa eclipsed Football."

When you have people rioting and leaving classes in tears and saying "he was like a grandfather to me" about a man they've never met.  Something's fucking weird and that weirdness is going to go too deep for sanity.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #163 on: November 10, 2011, 03:28:21 PM

What are the odds that Sandusky ends up dead this weekend?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #164 on: November 10, 2011, 03:35:55 PM

What are the odds that Sandusky ends up dead this weekend?

I would have to say 50:50. 
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: November 10, 2011, 04:57:18 PM

That's pretty fucking huge if it turns out the coverup goes well outside of just PSU and maybe the charity.

This rabbit hole is going to go a long way down before this is all said and done, especially if the "sex ring" allegations turn out to be true.

For instance, the current governor of PA, Tom Corbett, gave a speech earlier today condemning everyone at Penn State who was a part of this fiasco and called the rioters "knuckleheads". Corbett (who as governor, is a member of the board of trustees at Penn State), also served two terms as state Attorney General, the most recent from 2005 to January of this year. This also covers the time during the grand jury investigation, whose details and severity he was undoubtedly aware of.

At no point during his current tenure as a trustee did he make any moves to keep Sandusky off of campus, despite Sandusky being on campus just days before his indictments and flouting the restrictions on his bringing children on campus as late as 2008.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #166 on: November 10, 2011, 08:01:20 PM

Hmm.  Nebraska has asked their fans to not wear red to the game in Happy Valley.  Penn State fans are pushing the limits here.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #167 on: November 10, 2011, 08:12:04 PM

Hmm.  Nebraska has asked their fans to not wear red to the game in Happy Valley.  Penn State fans are pushing the limits here.

Why would they not want their fans wearing red?

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: November 10, 2011, 08:20:41 PM

Cornhuskers colors are red and white. There is fear that angry Penn State fans will lash out and attack Nebraska fans.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #169 on: November 10, 2011, 10:55:23 PM

This adds a new layer of complexity:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45244328/ns/local_news-philadelphia_pa/#.TrzJB0PiE8l

DA who didn't charge Sandusky missing since 2005
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #170 on: November 11, 2011, 03:52:53 AM

Cornhuskers colors are red and white. There is fear that angry Penn State fans will lash out and attack Nebraska fans.

Facepalm

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #171 on: November 11, 2011, 05:50:10 AM

Please. If drunken rednecks can keep it together, I expect those educated Yankees can stop from throwing their wine glasses at each other during a game.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: November 11, 2011, 07:37:51 AM

Facepalm

Hey, I'm not the one who gave it as the reason why.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7215871/nebraska-cornhuskers-tom-osborne-asks-fans-not-wear-read-game-vs-penn-state-nittany-lions
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #173 on: November 11, 2011, 07:42:39 AM

After the way the Penn State population rioted after Paterno was fired I am not sure that isn't such a bad precaution.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #174 on: November 11, 2011, 07:54:53 AM

After the way the Penn State population rioted after Paterno was fired I am not sure that isn't such a bad precaution.

Or what, they release actual nittany lions on the populace? Or spray them with firehoses? They are so incensed by the firing of JoePa that they take out their rage on unsuspecting midwesterners that didn't even show up in the conference until this year?

Again, this is stupid, reactionary shit. Wear your colors Nebraska fans. Wear them proudly. Just don't make inappropriate signage. Go in there, lay the smackdown on a team that will be reeling, and exit with a classy win.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: