Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:23:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Sponsored Advertising 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sponsored Advertising  (Read 26905 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 08:05:51 AM

I'm all in favor of selling out, everyone should be so successful they get the chance.  Sometimes the quality stays up there, sometimes it goes down, for example the newest freddie wong stuff on youtube is certainly not as fun to watch since he got sponsored by games, lost it's edge.

It's all about the content.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 09:51:50 AM

Basically, yeah. Selling out is fine, but in some cases it's a sign that somebody's creativity is plummeting. In Kurtz' case, on one hand he's always been clear that he's looking for ways to monetize webcomics, so that's fine. On the other, he's also been really vocal about complaining about legacy comics in the newspapers and the way that they just recycle and zombify the same old shit and then sell licensed crap (Garfield, etc.). Since he's already been doing a lot of the same recycling, I think this is less a dividing line between "was good, is now bad" and more just a diagnostic sign of "is now bad". I honestly think Kurtz was pretty amusing in the early development of his strip, when it had much tighter thematic content and sharper humor. As it's become more about his characters, it's become tedious because his characters aren't very interesting. It really shows when he tries to pretend he's doing something profound and edgy by having the former one-note antagonist, now one-note secondary character come out as gay, which is just missing the boat by about 15-20 years when that plotline might actually have been relatively new.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 11:53:51 AM

Max Powers is gay?

That's incredibly lame, even by PvP's lowered standards.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 08:29:37 AM

Why? Who cares? Can't he just be a gay character without it being a "statement"? I mean, feel free to hate Kurtz because.. well, because he's a douchebag. But he made a secondary character gay. Big deal. I've worked with several people (effectively secondary characters in my life) who acted "normal" who later turned out to be gay/lesbian, and when I found out I didn't give a shit, because who cares? I mean, they were "out" but not out in terms of needing to wear a rainbow flag, they were just out in the fact that their partners were of the same sex, but acted like anyone else. So I treated them like anyone else.

Or am I way out of line here with my indifference?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:48:16 PM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 09:07:31 AM

I though Kurtz had run a whole thing with Max Powers way back when with a running joke about everyone thinking he was gay because of cleanliness, etc. stereotypes but he really wasn't. Or did I just imagine that whole thing?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 06:11:04 PM

I think who cares? would be a great story. But Kurtz seemed to be strutting around like he deserved credit for doing something daring, and then was a bit like, "Oh, you guys think this is an old kind of subplot? Really? Oh. Ok." Actually I'll give him that--he didn't respond with his usual aggressive "NO U" when a lot of people were yawning about the storyline.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 01:47:35 PM

Boring character in a boring comic suddenly becomes gay to make things more relevant and fails, news at 11.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 09:43:13 AM

I think today's comic highlighting aspects of the Wizards of the Coast (Lucille) / PvP relationship has made the storyline more interesting to me on a meta level as Lucille butts in more and more on PvP's business. I can't tell if he's being clever and making some sort of commentary, or just stumbled into the implications of his storyline and the sponsored advertising in the comic. Lucille's lack of professionalism (a necessary character flaw for an interesting character) ... could that hurt someone's perception of WoC's business practices?

Of course, it could all go back to "It's just a fucking webcomic."  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Sponsored Advertising  
Jump to: