Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 04:21:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Avengers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Avengers  (Read 77903 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: May 01, 2012, 12:06:46 PM

Spider-Man and Wolverine are hilarious these days in that sense: they're on every team, in every event, doing everything. Spider-Man somehow has time to hang with the FF, the Avengers, live his own multiple adventures, and do some other team-ups on the side.

Though I did love the most recent Future Foundation issue w/Spider-Man and the Human Torch.

If you want to read a good Avengers book, weirdly enough, I'd suggest Avengers Academy, which is entertaining old-school comic-book storytelling.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: May 01, 2012, 12:46:52 PM

It's all heading to an infinite loop of "Spider Man - Featuring Wolverine - Featuring The Amazing Spider Man - Featuring The Wolverine - Featuring..............."

Where they make up every character in the book.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #177 on: May 01, 2012, 12:48:46 PM

It's all heading to an infinite loop of "Spider Man - Featuring Wolverine - Featuring The Amazing Spider Man - Featuring The Wolverine - Featuring..............."

Where they make up every character in the book.
I would actually buy that...

"Me am play gods"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #178 on: May 01, 2012, 01:05:20 PM

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: May 01, 2012, 05:14:39 PM

Pretty much "Flash of Two Worlds" for Marvel. With all the confusion--or cool story-telling possibilities--thereof.
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: May 03, 2012, 03:02:49 AM

Pretty much "Flash of Two Worlds" for Marvel. With all the confusion--or cool story-telling possibilities--thereof.

Not that I put much credence to the word of the fellow that said, "Dead is dead!" and proceeded to resurrect just about every other dead superhero under his watch (how many times has it been for Alpha Flight?.) Didn't Quesada state explicitly that the Ultimates universe and regular continuity Marvel universe (earth-616) shall never ever crossover? And, if they ever did - put a fork in it - they're done (run out of ideas.)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #181 on: May 03, 2012, 03:40:49 PM

I thought the Ultimates universe was done anyway.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #182 on: May 03, 2012, 04:50:33 PM

They restarted back at issue 1 about 10-11 months ago with Ultimates, Xmen, Spiderman, and a few other titles. Some of it's a mess (Xmen), some of it seems like it will be a short run to the destruction of the universe (Ultimates), and some of it's just getting good (Spiderman).

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: May 04, 2012, 01:04:12 AM

Just got back from our midnight madness showing at my theatre (7 screens, all sold out), and I guess they added something to the North American release, because there is now a short scene at the very end of the credits (someone earlier mentioned there was nothing at the end creds when they watched it).  It's nothing special, or next-film teaserish, but kind of cute nonetheless.

And yeah, once the final battle amps up, Hulk pretty much bends the movie over and makes it his bitch.  So much awesome.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: May 04, 2012, 01:49:51 AM

At the very end of the credits or about a minute into the credits? I know there was a stinger setting up Avengers 2 but didn't stay to the bitter end.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: May 04, 2012, 02:47:21 AM

At the very end of the credits or about a minute into the credits? I know there was a stinger setting up Avengers 2 but didn't stay to the bitter end.
Very end of the credits.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: May 04, 2012, 01:03:55 PM

Best movie of the year so far (and maybe since quite a while) and close to the best supers movie ever (or up there in the top 3).  I rarely gush, but this is gushworthy shit.  Not sure how much of this feeling is geekery though, but my gf agreed with me and she's as non-geek as they get.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: May 04, 2012, 01:46:12 PM

Hulk... Smash.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: May 04, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

What's your top3 super movies? I'd say iron man, batman(bayle) and I dunno....spiderman was up there but on repeated viewings it doesnt seem to age well.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: May 04, 2012, 02:32:39 PM

It's probably Avengers, Iron Man, and Captain America for me.  I do like the Batman movies, but I just think the Marvel films have captured the superhero feel that I remember when I read comics.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: May 04, 2012, 02:45:56 PM

There's really two modes :

The Bale movies show you how to do a Superhero movie while 'keeping it real', while the Marvel stuff has finally, FINALLY, managed to nail that unrealistic but willing suspension thing they do well.

I can't really think of a Marvel film that managed it until Iron Man came out and everything after just stuck to that formula and worked.  Thor worked, for fucks sake.  I was flabberghasted.  And then Captain America also worked, which was slightly more insane since Elrond had a melted face and I still didn't care.

I would still rate The Dark Knight as my favourite superhero flick ever, if only for Heath.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #191 on: May 04, 2012, 02:49:15 PM

For me, the first Spiderman was the real break out of doing a superhero movie correctly.  It was hit or miss for awhile after that, but things stabilized once Marvel got its own studio and did Iron Man.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #192 on: May 04, 2012, 03:00:12 PM

Just saw this as a department afternoon outing. Abso-fucking-lutely fan-fucking-tastic. Ironwood is right - of the two camps (realistic Dark Knight and superhero suspension of disbelief Iron Man), this one is the epitome of the Iron Man formula. Do a comic book as a movie and do it fucking well with great direction, great effects and great actors. Ruffalo NAILS Hulk and Banner perfectly. RDJ is his usual great Iron Man, Hemsworth's Thor is pitch perfect and Evans' Captain America only suffers for being a normal guy amongst these giant behemoths. I would absolutely watch a solo Hawkeye movie with Jeremy Renner - I've always loved the character and their take on him works, especially in conjunction with Johannssen's Black Widow. The only downside:

Other than that, perfect.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: May 04, 2012, 03:11:19 PM

Going to see this tonight (in 3D).  The husband certainly knows how to pick an anniversary gift for me*.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS In love

*Note - this is also the man who bought midnight showing tickets for all the LotR movies, despite the fact that he knew nothing about them and just knew I wanted to see them.  Same with The Avengers.  That's easily got to offset his going to see Titanic 3D.   Raspberry

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: May 04, 2012, 03:27:02 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: May 04, 2012, 03:27:37 PM

For me, the first Spiderman was the real break out of doing a superhero movie correctly.  It was hit or miss for awhile after that, but things stabilized once Marvel got its own studio and did Iron Man.

For me, not so much.  I really, really did like Spiderman, but it was just all very over the top in most regards (particularly Goblin) so I was always sitting there saying 'it's a movie'.  Daredevil too ruined it with the Kingpin, which didn't work at all.  It was only when RDJ came in with Tony that I could actually sit back and just enjoy the ride without that wee voice in my head saying 'it's a movie mate, it's a movie'.

Whereas with Batman, it took half the film to even bring in a costume and by that point Bale had dragged you kicking and screaming into Waynes World.  Fuck me, they managed to make you afraid of Joker all over again because he just wasn't that far from plausible.

Also, why the fuck did I click that spoiler.  What a retard.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
WayAbvPar

Reply #196 on: May 04, 2012, 04:00:18 PM

Seeing this in about 3 hours...woohoo!

I am apparently the only person who hated Spiderman...enough so that I never saw 2 or 3. I think the 2 Bale/Nolan Batman movies, IronMan (2 was decent, but 1 was awesome), and the first X-Men are my tops. X-Men had its warts, but there was enough superhero fun to it that I managed to overlook them.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: May 04, 2012, 04:12:58 PM

Spider-man 2 was much better than the first but there's no such thing as Spider-man 3, that was fanfiction with look-alikes.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: May 04, 2012, 04:45:46 PM

I'd say the 1st Superman, the Avengers, then the Dark Knight are the top 3 best supers flicks.  Spiderman 1/2 were great but they felt experimental in nature.  "4-colorwise" the Avengers wins easy.  Gritty-wise it's Dark Knight then Spiderman 1 or 2.

Really though, Avengers is the best overall supers film ever made hands down.  I have no fear saying this barring nostalgia from older films like the Chris Reeves Superman. (which for many was a flop, but I loved it /shrug)

Whedon?  Did an oscarworthy job imo, love him or hate him.  His ability to avoid cliche with perfectly timed wit and humour really made the movie a pleasant ride.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: May 04, 2012, 06:49:53 PM

Saw this today.  Loved it.  It combined all the best stuff from the Avenger "prequel" movies into 2 1/2 hours of awesome. Heart
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: May 04, 2012, 08:03:10 PM

Question...

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: May 04, 2012, 08:32:35 PM

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:35:51 PM by Ubvman »
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: May 04, 2012, 08:48:50 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #203 on: May 04, 2012, 10:14:19 PM

Yeah, both of those moments got huge roars in the theater for me as well. The writing was just spot on all the way through, especially the dialogue.

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #204 on: May 04, 2012, 10:52:29 PM

3D was great, packed theater and it was freaking awesome! 
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: May 04, 2012, 11:52:10 PM

Whedon's good at making bad characters shine.  He actually made Cyclops interesting in the X-Men comic during his writing run, and he made a movie Hulk not suck despite fairly limited screentime.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #206 on: May 05, 2012, 12:04:05 AM

Jeez. Someone say it sucks or my expectations are going to be too high going in.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: May 05, 2012, 12:39:56 AM

Just saw it. Fucking terrible film. (Did that help Ab?)

Seriously, great fucking flick. They did a great job giving all of the major characters some good moments, although RDJ stole the show as usual. As a non-comic fan, could someone give me a spoiler of wtf happened in the credits scene?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: May 05, 2012, 12:48:44 AM

Just saw it. Fucking terrible film. (Did that help Ab?)

Seriously, great fucking flick. They did a great job giving all of the major characters some good moments, although RDJ stole the show as usual. As a non-comic fan, could someone give me a spoiler of wtf happened in the credits scene?

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #209 on: May 05, 2012, 03:11:47 AM

And if you stayed all the way to the end of the credits  but ya i wonder if it will be a tie in to fantastic 4?  Since silver surfer was introduced by them?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Avengers  
Jump to: