Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 04:02:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Avengers 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Avengers  (Read 77651 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: February 08, 2012, 09:34:02 AM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: February 08, 2012, 10:17:32 AM

If anyone deserves to be a comic book character, it's him.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: February 08, 2012, 10:43:41 AM

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: February 08, 2012, 11:29:43 AM

Not to derail this into tanks vs. mechs territory, but modern bows are more powerful than any handgun that can be fired by Scarlett Johansson, and just as accurate. Rifles are superior in every way, but bows were abandoned because guns (like crossbows before them) took less strength and less training and could thus be dropped into the hands of any lout... in the hands of a skilled archer a bow remained superior to all available guns until the second half of the 19th century.

They remain better in many ways than the vast majority of available pistols.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: February 08, 2012, 12:54:45 PM

"If it wasn't for those damn Yanks, we could have kept the war going another 10 years."

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: February 08, 2012, 01:33:00 PM

Not to derail this into tanks vs. mechs territory, but modern bows are more powerful than any handgun that can be fired by Scarlett Johansson, and just as accurate. Rifles are superior in every way, but bows were abandoned because guns (like crossbows before them) took less strength and less training and could thus be dropped into the hands of any lout... in the hands of a skilled archer a bow remained superior to all available guns until the second half of the 19th century.

They remain better in many ways than the vast majority of available pistols.

But Scarlett Johansson has boobs, you have to factor that in.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: February 08, 2012, 01:45:59 PM

Yeah, to use a bow she might have to cut one off to avoid the string. WE CANNOT LET THAT HAPPEN.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: February 08, 2012, 02:13:56 PM

This is all sounding dangerously familiar. I'm sure we've had the guns vs bows argument before, possibly with the firing from horseback debate. I think Nerf was involved.

And WUA.

ACK!

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: February 08, 2012, 02:20:39 PM

What about mechs with bows? I bet we haven't talked about that.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: February 08, 2012, 02:21:05 PM

Fund it.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #115 on: February 08, 2012, 02:24:14 PM

Well there's the Archer...

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #116 on: February 09, 2012, 09:27:37 AM

As long as my Mech can have a fuckstupidgiant Bowie knife, it's all good.  swamp poop

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: February 09, 2012, 09:32:22 AM

Yeah, to use a bow she might have to cut one off to avoid the string. WE CANNOT LET THAT HAPPEN.
You are just scared you are not the one who will buy it on ebay.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: February 09, 2012, 10:28:33 AM

<DERP> The geometric scaling of power as propellant supply increases makes large guns on mechs prohibative because heavy recoil shock would knock them over and/or blow their arms off. Parallel-limb bows are practically recoil-free.</DERP>

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #119 on: February 09, 2012, 11:36:32 AM

Isn't that what the mythical Amazons did?

I have never played WoW.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #120 on: February 09, 2012, 11:55:11 AM

How far back you planning on pulling that bowstring? Sheesh...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: February 09, 2012, 12:09:21 PM

As long as my Mech can have a fuckstupidgiant Bowie knife, it's all good.  swamp poop

I laughed.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: February 09, 2012, 12:29:36 PM

ANYWAY... people analyzing the trailer have spotted soldiers with funny-looking chins and assumed that they're Skrulls. I just think they're Loki's ZombieSpaceViking army. Do we have solid confirmation on who the bad guys are in this three-hour mess? Things were a little crowded in Iron Man 2, and one hopes we're not looking at another Spiderman 3.

<DERP> Amazons cut off a breast because they didn't have access to compound recurves like we've got today so, yes, had to pull the string back far enough that things like a thumb hook were invented. The pulchritudinous Ms. Johansson lives in happier times.

My favorite melee weapon on a mech was EVA-02's box-cutter lookin' "progressive knife".<DERP>

Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: February 09, 2012, 12:39:14 PM

ANYWAY... people analyzing the trailer have spotted soldiers with funny-looking chins and assumed that they're Skrulls. I just think they're Loki's ZombieSpaceViking army. Do we have solid confirmation on who the bad guys are in this three-hour mess? Things were a little crowded in Iron Man 2, and one hopes we're not looking at another Spiderman 3.

Since it was filmed in Cleveland, I'd say that is just the way the citizens look - probably local stand ins. DON'T YOU JUDGE!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: February 09, 2012, 02:27:15 PM

What about mechs with bows? I bet we haven't talked about that.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #125 on: February 29, 2012, 03:05:17 PM

New trailer.  Maybe shows a little too much.  Watch at your own risk.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: February 29, 2012, 03:57:22 PM

New trailer.  Maybe shows a little too much.  Watch at your own risk.

I watched it.  I'll be back in a minute after a change of trousers.   awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: March 01, 2012, 05:40:27 AM

Love Letters

Although, now I'm a bit confused - is the movie title "Avengers" or "Avengers Assemble"?  I know it was a UK trailer, but I don't get the whole changing the movie title based on what country it's released in.

Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: March 01, 2012, 06:10:11 AM

Ahh Cleveland... you never looked so good. Especially "all blowed up an' shit."  why so serious?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: March 01, 2012, 06:23:25 AM

Love Letters

Although, now I'm a bit confused - is the movie title "Avengers" or "Avengers Assemble"?  I know it was a UK trailer, but I don't get the whole changing the movie title based on what country it's released in.

It's called Hollywood being ashamed of America and renaming titles that might offend people abroad.  Not the first time in this series that this has happened.  Although I agree with you that this particular name change is odd, unless there was a UK-only movie previously released as "The Avengers" and they don't want to confuse people.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: March 01, 2012, 06:33:22 AM

IMDB "The Avengers" a fairly obscure british tv show has the same name.  Ohhhhh, I see.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: March 01, 2012, 06:35:18 AM

IMDB "The Avengers" a fairly obscure british tv show has the same name.  Ohhhhh, I see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIx8hOhy6xw

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: March 01, 2012, 07:17:50 AM

Oh duh!  I completely forgot about The Avengers tv show.  I certainly wouldn't call it obscure though, but I was thinking in terms of movies and not tv shows as well.  Growing up, I used to watch all sorts of old British shows with my dad (Dr. Who, Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Benny Hill, etc.).

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: March 01, 2012, 07:46:31 AM

Oh duh!  I completely forgot about The Avengers tv show.  I certainly wouldn't call it obscure though, but I was thinking in terms of movies and not tv shows as well.  Growing up, I used to watch all sorts of old British shows with my dad (Dr. Who, Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Benny Hill, etc.).

There was an Avengers movie based on the TV series, but I think it was an American movie.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #134 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:41 AM

There was. Raph Finnes and Uma Thurman.

It sucked.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: March 01, 2012, 10:27:05 AM

I've probably watched that new trailer like 10 times already.  I'm more psyched for Avengers then the new Batman movie.   awesome, for real
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: March 01, 2012, 10:38:29 AM

I've probably watched that new trailer like 10 times already.  I'm more psyched for Avengers then the new Batman movie.   awesome, for real

Well the Avengers movie actually looks good.  why so serious?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: March 01, 2012, 12:37:33 PM

It's called Hollywood being ashamed of America and renaming titles that might offend people abroad.  Not the first time in this series that this has happened.  Although I agree with you that this particular name change is odd, unless there was a UK-only movie previously released as "The Avengers" and they don't want to confuse people.

Apparently, the UK distribution bods were told they could have it early but only if they agreed to a ridiculous name change. So the trade off for getting the film in the UK on the 26th of April is having it being called Marvel Avengers Assemble.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #138 on: March 01, 2012, 12:38:56 PM

It sucked.

I am pretty sure I have never, ever been more disappointed by a movie I saw in the theater.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: March 01, 2012, 07:01:48 PM

It sucked.

I kinda liked it. But I paid nothing to see it and I am a sucker for Uma in a form-fitting patent-leather jumpsuit.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Avengers  
Jump to: