Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 10:28:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Avengers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Avengers  (Read 77937 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: May 05, 2012, 06:33:55 AM

Great, great movie. Great narrative flow, made every single cliche of superhero comics seem fresh, memorable lines and set-ups, really well-done throughout. Ruffalo surprised me at how great he was.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: May 05, 2012, 07:57:00 AM

Oh man.  This was the perfect movie for my first one seen in 3D.  Freaking fantastic and just perfect with the characters.  Some of the motion got a bit raggedy for me with the 3D and a few times I even jerked my head at something moving on the screen.  So worth it.  And our theatre was laughing like mad at those two scenes as well.

Plus, archery has never looked sexier.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

A few individual thoughts:

Overall, really fabulous movie and I'm debating going to see it again alone while the husband is out today.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: May 05, 2012, 08:09:13 AM

You really need to see Thor.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: May 05, 2012, 08:14:41 AM

Stop clicking all the spoilers!

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: May 05, 2012, 08:17:30 AM

Ach, leave me to my addiction.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

In honesty, I think I'd enjoy this even if I'd written it.  Tomorrow I think.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #215 on: May 05, 2012, 09:09:11 AM

Other than that one thing, I don't think there's really much to spoil about the movie that would ruin the enjoyment. It was just that well done. I mean, super-hero team fights alien invaders? Not a lot of places that's likely to go that are unpredictable, it's how they get you to the predictable ending that makes it a whole shedload of fun.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: May 05, 2012, 11:27:45 AM

What I liked is that all the characters were spot-on, even Loki was an excellent performance.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: May 05, 2012, 11:31:24 AM

I just saw it. The dinky little theater down the street had it at 10am and I couldn't resist.

Great movie.

I second the motion. If you liked Hiddleston and/or Hemsworth, there's a lot more in the Thor movie.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #218 on: May 05, 2012, 11:35:29 AM

Jeez. Someone say it sucks or my expectations are going to be too high going in.

My expectations were high. It did not disappoint.

Great, great movie. Great narrative flow, made every single cliche of superhero comics seem fresh, memorable lines and set-ups, really well-done throughout. Ruffalo surprised me at how great he was.

So much win.  The audience cracked up at the right spots and actually cheered outright in others.  This movie & his own actually made me like Thor.  A guy I'd always taken to be a bit over the top and lame. Fantastic.   I hope it ages well.

And if you stayed all the way to the end of the credits

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: May 05, 2012, 11:44:20 AM

I second the motion. If you liked Hiddleston and/or Hemsworth, there's a lot more in the Thor movie.
Oh, I plan to see it.  Wanted to see it in the theatres when it came out but just never got there.  I'll buy it instead because the idea of a movie basically around Hiddleston and Hemsworth is fine with me.   awesome, for real  Sadly it's not available on DirecTV in any way, shapre, or form, which is a huge miss on their part.  I was more than ready to buy it PPV if I had to, but alas, no such luck.

And if you stayed all the way to the end of the credits

My husband said the same thing when we watched that.  He even noticed it before I did.  Of course, he also noted that the only car brand you see getting blown up was Acura, which I missed.  Odd product placement.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: May 05, 2012, 11:45:51 AM

You guys have heard me complain about this in the past, but another thing most modern action movies do these days is film/render it too 'clean' and too 'high-def.'  Avengers got around this most times; seemed to add some grit and dirt to certain scenes that made them more believable.  For instance during the Alien Invasion, a normal Bay-esque flick would make that whole battle fairly antiseptic in film quality whereas in this film at times it seemed like a better version of a good 80's adventure film (more Favreau's style).  The  all were textured rather lo-fi along with a lot of smoke and dirt, making them really believable to stare at.  Yet what an awesome job they did on them regardless.

There may be a difference in IMAX though, so when I see it again... and yes, I'm seeing this again, we'll see if there's a difference.

Also, aside from Avatar, has their been a movie in f13 where it became evident it's worth seeing (again) in 3D?

Oh, and this movie is going to destroy the box offices for the next month.  I have this yearning to buy my 4-yr old nephew a Captain America doll and take him to see it.  Haven't felt like that in a long time and it's definitely a movie he'll remember for life I think.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: May 05, 2012, 01:25:01 PM

If you are going to see it again, and want to see it in IMAX, I reccomend going soon.  If your theatres are anything like mine, it is only getting a 1 week run in IMAX, and then Dark Shadows will be takeing it's place.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: May 05, 2012, 02:15:00 PM

Wow.  Great movie!  Now THAT'S how you do a superhero movie. 

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: May 05, 2012, 02:44:31 PM

on the final battle.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: May 05, 2012, 06:37:22 PM

Nailed it.

No spoilers from me, just drop everything and go see this movie if you haven't already.

Edit: Ok, one spoiler/question

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:51:52 PM by Malakili »
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: May 05, 2012, 06:57:26 PM

My absolute favorite quote, because I had no idea how they were going to do that particular moment:

Fucking perfect.

GAH.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: May 05, 2012, 06:57:34 PM

Nailed it.

No spoilers from me, just drop everything and go see this movie if you haven't already.

Edit: Ok, one spoiler/question

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: May 05, 2012, 07:16:11 PM

hulk.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: May 05, 2012, 07:33:53 PM

On the aliens:
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: May 05, 2012, 07:36:13 PM

hulk.

On Hulk, I think if you watched the Norton Hulk film, they established that he's getting more control over Hulk, within limits. E.g., sending him in to fight the Abomination works because he's a *bit* more in control than Abomination is.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: May 05, 2012, 08:57:25 PM

Hulk's a tricky beast.  There was an excellent run in the Hulk comic that Ed Norton was trying to play in the second Hulk movie, a Banner who was utterly devoted to an iron-clad regime of meditation and self-control and as a result had a great deal of leeway with his powers.  Which, if you're saddled with the Hulk's curse, is pretty much the only sensible thing for a person to decide to do if they don't want to be a walking natural disaster forever.

Then Marvel fired Ed Norton, booted the comic's author, and did a 180 with Planet Hulk, where Banner had zero control and the permanently-amok Hulk grew into a more thinking individual over time.  This was also an awesome comic run for different reasons; while I was sad to see Banner go totally sidelined, Hulk running around with a Conan-ish personality and speaking lines while kicking ass was really impressive.

Then Marvel got stupid and split Hulk into like three different Hulks and I don't know anyone who kept reading at that point.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: May 06, 2012, 05:41:11 AM

Well, they sort of wrote themselves into a corner when Conan Hulk came back to Earth and tried to kill most of the other superheroes for sending him away into space in the first place. But yeah, the character is a mess right now in the comics: the "Red Hulk" is presently a member of the Avengers, but he's not even Bruce Banner, he's General Thunderbolt Ross (the guy who used to hunt the Hulk, and the father of Bruce Banner's long-time love interest).
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: May 06, 2012, 07:26:36 AM

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: May 06, 2012, 08:57:58 AM

Form of a nerd!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #234 on: May 06, 2012, 09:52:13 AM

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: May 06, 2012, 09:55:55 AM

The shield's made of vibranium; I always assumed that the metal's deflection of kinetic energy is what made it 'bouncy' when thrown.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #236 on: May 06, 2012, 10:07:50 AM

Tony Stark did have some awesome lines  Grin

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #237 on: May 06, 2012, 05:27:27 PM

Tony Stark did have some awesome lines  Grin

Awesome movie.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: May 06, 2012, 06:00:22 PM

Avengers broke 200 million domestic for the weekend.  Biggest.  Opening.  Ever.

Smoked that little kid that likes to play with his wand who opened at 170 million.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: May 06, 2012, 06:22:20 PM

I saw it with the wife this afternoon. I spent the big bucks for IMAX. It was totally worth it. What a fun film.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: May 06, 2012, 07:57:03 PM

Re: Stark's lines.

Really great movie.

I enjoyed Thor and Captain America, I'd recommend both of them for viewing if you haven't seen them.  You can even catch a glimpse of Hawkeye in Thor!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #241 on: May 06, 2012, 08:14:13 PM

Stark's lines:

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: May 06, 2012, 10:47:40 PM

Avengers broke 200 million domestic for the weekend.  Biggest.  Opening.  Ever.

Smoked that little kid that likes to play with his wand who opened at 170 million.

Made over $400m overseas already.  This being a movie that wasn't marketed all that forcefully, and will likely have a helluva lot more word-of-mouth attendance. 1bn is a given.

One of my fav. moments:

I want more.  Hurry up.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #243 on: May 07, 2012, 12:37:40 AM

Just saw this on good 'ol fashioned (well, digital) 2D and it was a blast.  Just totally fun start to finish.

Love the interplay between Banner and Stark, and lots of fun character interaction all throughout.  

They really nailed the laugh moments (got somewhere between 5 and 10 the whole theatre laughs at the gag bits) which were nice for breaking up the action from time to time.

Possibly my favorite being
Somehow I missed the second Iron Man movie -- was it as much fun as the first?  RDJ as Tony Stark is immensely entertaining...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:10:03 AM by Quinton »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: May 07, 2012, 12:49:00 AM

No, it wasn't.  It wasn't even remotely as good.

It's still something that should be watched though, if only for the continuity and the Silver Centurion Suit.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Avengers  
Jump to: