Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 04:10:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: John Carter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Carter  (Read 20526 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 27, 2012, 02:01:02 PM

The most recent one.  Not the one with Absorbing man dad as the final villian, the one with the Tony Stark + General Ross in the bonus scene at the end of the credits.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 27, 2012, 05:20:01 PM

I've seen billboards for this all over town. I had no idea what the movie was about until I read this thread. Nor did anyone else I know.

When even people who might be interested in it have NFI what is going on spending your marketing money on billboards that just have the name and nothing else is a huge failure.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 27, 2012, 06:40:12 PM

IMHO, this fan trailer is VASTLY better in terms of making you want to see the film. If they'd gone with this in heavy rotation, I'm guessing they'd have another $30 million in the bank today.

http://thejohncarterfiles.com/2012/03/john-carter-fan-trailer-2-heritage/
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: March 28, 2012, 06:03:49 AM

IMHO, this fan trailer is VASTLY better in terms of making you want to see the film. If they'd gone with this in heavy rotation, I'm guessing they'd have another $30 million in the bank today.

That fan trailer was pretty awesome.  The music really set the tone and giving historical connections made sense.  Tell the viewer why this is important, in case they didn't realize.  Build anticipation.  I agree that this would have been much better marketing.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 28, 2012, 03:49:11 PM

Now I wish I'd gone to see it.  Hollywood puts out a good film of one of my favorite science fiction heroes and I can't be bothered to see it.  Shame on me.

Guess I'll buy the Blu-Ray and support it that way.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 28, 2012, 05:25:19 PM

I wonder if this movie will be one of those that failed at the Box Office but gets a following over time and becomes a sort of cult classic.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 28, 2012, 05:37:56 PM

Disney has the Avengers coming up this summer (since they own Marvel now), so I don't think they are that worried.

Ah, didn't realize they owned Marvel. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 01, 2012, 10:11:31 AM

I wonder if this movie will be one of those that failed at the Box Office but gets a following over time and becomes a sort of cult classic.

I thought this same thing.
Also, I just saw HungerGames and JC kicks its arse.  So sad how 'pop culture' everything has become.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #78 on: April 01, 2012, 10:27:17 AM

I saw this last night and it was very passable.  Didn't feel the long run time as much as I'd have thought.

Mildly annoyed by how inconsistent they were with JC's strength, and how little was explained about the Thurns.  I guess that would have been explored further in other movies if this one hadn't bombed?  Now I want to pick up the books...
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 01, 2012, 10:36:06 AM

There's also some pretty great pnp RPG material on it (though not fully endorsed by the estate):
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?keywords=of+Mars&manufacturers_id=92&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 02, 2012, 11:34:02 AM

Fantastic! Now I want to see the movie. Hey Disney: Getting nerds to watch sci-fi movies, this shit should not be difficult.

Edit: I am aware they were hoping for a wider audience than nerds. Ie. Avatar moneyhats. But if you can't even get your core audience excited, well good luck getting soccer-moms and sorority-girls.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:36:20 AM by Ragnoros »

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: John Carter  
Jump to: