Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:29:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Newbin' it up in a post-Incarna world 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbin' it up in a post-Incarna world  (Read 10881 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: June 22, 2011, 12:14:45 PM

So, yeah, gonna try and tackle this game once again in my search for finding enjoyment in it.  It's not my first foray into this game, but I'm still always 'out of the loop' when it comes to ships and shit.  So here a Tristan fit I made...be gentle  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

[Low]
Small Armor Repairer I
Adaptive Nano Plating I
Magnetic Field Stabilizer I

[Mid]
1MN Afterburner I
Cap Recharger I
Cap Recharger I

[High]
Rocket Launcher I
Rocket Launcher I
125mm 'Scout' I Accelerator Cannon
125mm 'Scout' I Accelerator Cannon

[No Rigs]

[Drone]
Hobgoblin I

The way I figure it I can jump into this baby within the first day or so of playing and find success with PvE missions and stuff as I work my way into the game.  Only questions I have:

1) What ammo types should I use?

2) What about Rigs?

3) What do I do from here?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:40:06 PM

Probably not worth rigging unless you have money to throw around.  One rig is likely to cost more then then ship plus all the fittings.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 01:03:10 PM

I kinda figured rigs were out...didn't know if they came down in pricing/availability since last time I checked.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 01:10:53 PM

Fly an incursus and focus on guns, don't split your training between guns and missiles if you're going Gallente since you're going to need to spend a lot of points in drones, also.

Start with any other race and you'll most likely be happier in the long run.

What is this for, anyway?  L1 missions?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 01:12:28 PM

Fly an incursus and focus on guns, don't split your training between guns and missiles if you're going Gallente since you're going to need to spend a lot of points in drones, also.

Start with any other race and you'll most likely be happier in the long run.

What is this for, anyway?  L1 missions?

Yeah, L1 missions to start.  I like the idea of using drones.  I'll look into Incursus.

Edit 1: Looked into Incursus...looks like I can still do the drone thing and just use three railguns instead of mixing.  I like it Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:32:47 PM by luckton »

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 02:12:55 PM

Just do yourself a favor and train for a rifter.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 02:54:15 PM

Just do yourself a favor and train for a rifter.

Do yourself a real favor and stop training railguns and gallente ships right now. The tiny investment you have in them right now is insignificant in the long run and ccp shows no signs of any interest in balancing gallente ever.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 03:08:00 PM

If you plan to fuck around in empire pve, go caldari and train shield/missiles. Minmatar armor/projectiles and the Rifter is a better ship for pvp and probably for factional warfare idk.

Never train Gallente, never train railguns, never train blasters.

Kestrel

Hi
4x Standard Launcher I
Mid
1x 1MN Afterburner I
1x Small Shield Booster I
1x Cap Recharger I
Low
1x Power Diagnostic System or Reactor Control Unit (use the PDS if it will fit)
1x Ballistic Control System
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:11:24 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 04:33:38 PM

Damn, so much Gallente hate  ACK!.  Drones and hybrids really don't work out in the long run?

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 04:57:47 PM

No.

Well, drones ARE useful, nearly every ship uses them, and in PvE they can be quite useful - you'll use them no matter what ship you end up with. However, a Rifter is better at it at the frigate level, and Caldari with Missiles end you up in a Drake, which is a very good PvE platform. Also, the Minmater frigates/cruisers are more "fun" in the "you get to be fast and cruise around" kinda of way.

For PvP, Galente are considered not worth using in anything less than a supercarrier,

Train for a Rifter - do the level 1 missions in that, and then if you want to stay in empire, go towards a Drake. If you want to have more fun, join Bat Country out in 0.0, and they will love you in your Frigate (and the Drake is very good for 0.0 PvE).

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 06:38:30 PM

Do the tutorials (and if you do the minmatar ones you'll get given a free rifter and lots of skill books), explore empire a bit, work out missions are pretty insanely repetitive, join Bat Country and wave good bye to empire.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 08:42:12 PM

Minmatar is also excellent for PvE because their guns have variable damage types, unlike lasers and hybrid turrets.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 05:22:22 AM

Well, I'm in.  Pilot's name is Luckton.  Let's get to it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:23:51 AM by luckton »

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 06:00:38 AM

It doesn't surprise me that Luckton has found his way here, as his frantic ultra-cynical posting in recent weeks always appeared to me to be an attempt to appear more F13y than an F13er - one might almost say F13's answer to Penifsmash/Topgoon - and I am convinced he is a spy. This is not a "troll" or attempt at humour.

Luckton, you can rest assured that my comments will not affect your chances of successfully infiltrating our corp, as nobody listens to me. In fact, if I ever re-sub I'm sure I'd throw your newbie character a few isk myself. I'm just pretty sure you are a spy.

By the way, I am fully aware that the account is six years old or something.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 06:34:08 AM

It doesn't surprise me that Luckton has found his way here, as his frantic ultra-cynical posting in recent weeks always appeared to me to be an attempt to appear more F13y than an F13er - one might almost say F13's answer to Penifsmash/Topgoon - and I am convinced he is a spy. This is not a "troll" or attempt at humour.

Luckton, you can rest assured that my comments will not affect your chances of successfully infiltrating our corp, as nobody listens to me. In fact, if I ever re-sub I'm sure I'd throw your newbie character a few isk myself. I'm just pretty sure you are a spy.

By the way, I am fully aware that the account is six years old or something.

Love Letters

So you wouldn't believe me if I said I'm just looking for something to spend my free time on between now and TOR?  It's cool...I know these internet spaceships are serious business.  Say the word and I'll never grace this subforum with my presence again.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 06:43:20 AM

:shobon:

I don't even play Eve at the moment so don't do anything on my account.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 07:01:39 AM

Spy.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 07:03:15 AM

Spy.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 07:12:26 AM

You called?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 07:17:09 AM

Considering the ex-head of Bat Country is/was the head spy for the alliance, being called a spy would be a compliment.

Gentlemen.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 08:48:53 AM

So, yeah, now that the thread's been effectively nuked to oblivion, I'll just go back to lurking around here and sponge information as I see it.  Thanks for the  Heart

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 09:16:37 AM

If you look at some of the old threads in here you'll see that pretty much every single person that shows any interest at all in joining up with Bat Country gets called a spy.  It's not exactly a Great Mark of Shame.  awesome, for real
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 09:59:40 AM

(and yes, I saw you were an '05 f13 poster before calling you a spy)

He's just mad we caught em so quick!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 10:07:47 AM

Being called a spy upon joining is a statement of acceptance, heh, and something they always do, tongue-in-cheek.  And, they're testing your reaction.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 10:10:47 AM

It's not like we have any secret Intel on what brand of vodka our future overlords prefer.   why so serious?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 10:23:19 AM

Being called a spy upon joining is a statement of acceptance, heh, and something they always do, tongue-in-cheek.  And, they're testing your reaction.

It comes from that when Bat Country was started from uh, I forget what we were called before that (f13, I think?)  The rule was that if you were a long time poster on f13  (or a friend who would be vouched for) you were in, just hit apply.

Since everyone on f13 with any real posting history was automatically a member then that means anyone else creating an account and asking for membership could be nothing other than a spy.  Because, why the hell would you come to f13 just to join our shitty Eve corp?

Of course, once we got involved in Universe Politics then, naturally, anyone seeking to join our shitty Eve corp also has to be a spy even if they've been posting for a while.

So, yeah, you're all spies.  Except for Endie, he's legit.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 10:52:37 AM

We are all Endie.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 06:49:40 PM

Moving on, I assume basic certificates in Core Competency and what's recommended with ships are a good start with career pathing?  I can't seem to view the Goon's info, as it requires me to login, which redirects me to a special page that requires me to go back to login, which redirects...

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 07:02:17 PM

If you look at some of the old threads in here you'll see that pretty much every single person that shows any interest at all in joining up with Bat Country gets called a spy.  It's not exactly a Great Mark of Shame.  awesome, for real

Why'd you stop playing, Reg?  Log in again and build me cheap ships.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 07:59:14 PM

Moving on, I assume basic certificates in Core Competency and what's recommended with ships are a good start with career pathing?  I can't seem to view the Goon's info, as it requires me to login, which redirects me to a special page that requires me to go back to login, which redirects...

Not really. The certificates are more just arrangements of similar skills. Some of the skills grouped come too early or have little value to a more specific goal.

The Goon newbie guide remains a good read and should give you a start. Other than that working out what the skills do and what you want to focus on in the game is half the fun.

- Simond
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 01:27:36 AM

I'm taking my first real break since I first started playing the game. And so far, nothing I'm hearing about it is making me want to sign back in.  I've got a plex set up on the account so I can reactivate it anytime I want though so I imagine I'll be back one of these days.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 04:30:05 AM

If you are in goons we're likely to be facing a war for survival plus all sorts of roamers and campers in Deklein itself. So if you wanted PvP (or to move stuff out of Deklein) this is the time.

Incarna added absolutely nothing positive to Eve... and I miss ship spinning :(

- Simond
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 04:34:42 AM

Good bye ship spinning and hello avatar spinning?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 04:40:16 AM

Ship spinning can be emulated by opening up the fitting window, but what I find more annoying is not being able to drag a ship out of the station window and thus change to that ship.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 26, 2011, 06:00:46 AM

I like the agent finder. It's the same as Chribba's website of course but it's very handy not having to alt tab.

(This site: http://eve-agents.com/)

I wonder if they're paying him royalties out of all the monocle money that's rolling in.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Newbin' it up in a post-Incarna world  
Jump to: